This is the Concise Guide to Data Entry for those of you who are simply trying to add a new item (book, magazine, etc.) to an existing RPG in our database. If you are doing anything more complicated, please read the Full Guide to Data Entry. This short guide works great as long as you are mimicking something already in our system. The Full Guide gives you all the details you ever wanted to know about how we've organized things - including all the corner cases and special data entry situations.
1. All database entries are started by using the Misc->Create menu at the top of your screen.
2. Search the database first. Double-check to make sure you're not submitting a duplicate RPG, Item, Image, Person or Company.
3. Look at other entries in the database. If you see something similar to what you are trying to add, use that as the model - it's likely to be correct.
4. Make sure that the people who worked on the book/product are already in the database before you submit your entry (designers, artists and production staff are required fields). Use the Misc->Create->Person form to enter people. You do not need to wait for approval on people before submitting your RPG entry - you can link in the pending people as you wish.
5. When you enter your item, be sure to fill in all fields as best you can - be diligent here as the time it takes you now will be far less than it will take to clean up later.
6. Please provide a good description with proper attribution. We prefer one of the following (in this order):
- Back of the Book:
- Publisher Blurb:
- User Summary: