GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
21 Days Left
BGG Image Policy
Welcome to Board Game Geek (BGG). This manual will be dedicated on how to enter data into the system. All the conventions we chose and all the main cases. If you have any doubt about the process that is not covered here, please ask at the How to BGG forum.
The idea behind images in the BGG database is to allow users to clearly identify the game, and to pleasantly navigate the database. There are rules for the images to deal with two issues: the first is that the game galleries need to be useful, easy to navigate and not cluttered with many duplicate images. The second is to respect the rights of the intellectual property rights holders.
These general rules apply no matter to which gallery the image has been submitted:
- You must own the image in some way or have permission to use it for this purpose;
- If the image is an original piece of artwork, you must have written permission of the intellectual property rights holder to upload it;
- If you have received written permission to use the image from the intellectual property rights holders, include a notice that permission was received and from whom in the caption.
- Images should be at least 320x200 pixels. Company logos are an exception - they are allowed at any size.
- Scans and copy-photography images of flat materials, such as counter sheets and cards, may have a maximum resolution of 200ppi, or a maximum size of 1900 pixels on the long side, whichever is less.
- Images must be submitted to the correct item, and to the correct gallery (Game, People, Creative);
- Images must be cropped, correctly rotated and without glare;
- The quality should be at least comparable to other images in the database.
- Images must be in normal RGB format. CMYK isn't universally supported by all browsers yet and will be blocked by the upload system;
- If your image is declined, seek out the reason and correct the problem. Do not try to upload again in the hopes it will get through geekmod.
- Do not link images from a personal gallery to a database entry.
The following types of images are not allowed:
- Watermarked images (images with a visible watermark, company logo, url, hashtag, or any other branding not original to the image);
- Individual images for each component (character, mini, card, tile, etc.) This is especially true for collectible minis games and CCGs;
- Images too similar to other images uploaded by the same user or to an existing image and not of significantly better quality;
- Advertisements or promotional banners for new releases. To advertise, contact email@example.com;
- Offensive images, containing inappropriate material;
- Images outside of the size guidelines;
- Duplicate images;
- Animated images;
- Scans/copy photography of the rules pages;
- Images without captions
Policy for Board Games
Guidelines for the Game Gallery
- Use this gallery for images where the focus is on the game, the box, and/or unaltered components. Shows the game components as they are included in a copy of the game.
- Custom painted miniatures and other modified, upgraded, or custom components shouldn't be uploaded to this gallery. Rendered images of flat objects and standard items such as covers, game boards, cards and tokens are okay in the game gallery under the assumption that the finished work will resemble the rendered image; rendered images of miniatures and dice should be submitted to creative since the finished items often differ from the models.
Guidelines for the People Gallery
- Use this gallery for images where the people are the main focus of the image;
- Images of people playing the game should normally be here
Guidelines for the Creative Gallery
- Use this gallery for creative or artistic work, such as modified components (including custom painted miniatures), upgraded components not included in the game, fun situations not related to gameplay or using more than the original components, storage solutions, prototypes, or artwork. Images where the game has been added to or altered. Images showing comparisons of, or combination with, other database items.
|[What Links Here]