1942: The Pacific Air War was a DOS-based combat flight simulation released by MicroProse in 1994. It followed the U.S. and Japanese World War II conflict from 1942 to 1945.
This simulation featured aerial combat, ground attack, and naval engagements in the Pacific Theater of Operations. The popularity of this game influenced the creation of European Air War, a sequel.
1942: Pacific Air War could be played as a flight simulator or a wargame. A player could fight a single battle in mission mode or follow the war in tour of duty mode.
In tour of duty mode, a player managed his fleets and air bases on a strategic campaign map. When aircraft engaged in battle, the player could choose to "jump" into the cockpit of any aircraft in the battle.
The game also featured a fairly advanced recording and editing tool allowing the player to edit the film of a mission after it was completed. The player could use any number of cameras and place them anywhere in the scene. One could also scrub the timeline back and forth and make edits. This often overlooked tool was a very popular feature and allowed users to share combat sequences with other players using a special movie format.
Source: Wikipedia, "1942: The Pacific Air War", available under the CC-BY-SA License.
Back of Box
...They Were Desperate, Daring And Deadly!
For the past 50 years, only the courageous veteran pilots of World War II knew the real risks of fighting the legendary Pacific air wars.
Now it's your turn!
Strap yourself into the cockpits of 1942, The Pacific Air War and you'll experience the ultimate simulation of daring air combat over the South Pacific. Taking on the same challenges faced by WWII aviators, you'll tangle with the enemy in some of the most heroic battles ever fought. You'll chase down Wildcats, Corsairs, and Zeros through relentless gunfire. You'll pick apart enemy forces by dropping torpedoes. And you'll perform gravity-twisting dive-bomb attacks that will leave you glued to the back of your cockpit!
The outcome of each engagement turns upon your actions. Your task force is depending on you. It's a battle between the devil and the deep blue sea in 1942, The Pacific Air War!
- Fly for either the U.S. or Japanese Navy. Choose from ten historically-accurate aircraft, each with authentic cockpit and flight characteristics!
- Whose side are you on? Decide for yourself by taking full command of either U.S. or Japanese forces!
- Sharpen your skills with varying difficulty options!
- To be where the action is, hop into the cockpit of any one of the planes in your flight.
- Heart-stopping bomb runs will push your skills and your courage to the absolute brink!
- Experience the same field of view as the actual aircraft pilots with an innovative new virtual cockpit!