Subject: PFS - Bearpaw's Crypt of the Everflame - IC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2013 [+] [View All]
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC thread.

This is a PFS sanctioned game, running through Crypt of the Everflame. For more information on Pathfinder Society Games on RPGG, check out our guild here.

Players:

Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
One Overtext To Rule Them All
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jalmari Raippalinna
Finland
Kirkkonummi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
James Bowyer
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nicholas Jaramillo
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
badge
I drink and know things
mbmbmbmbmb

Characters:

Character Player Class/Level PFS #

Belmont Harrison karpouzian Magus 1 68635-5
Rufael cocuzzi Paladin 1 87646-4
Xengold Stoutcloak jalava Rogue 1 92902-1
Jacob Danvil Narl Fighter 1 52765-5
Mong Li reefgator Cleric 2 52660-2
Soren’thael the Blackh Hadda Ranger 1 89983-2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venture-captain Ambrus Valsin, responsible for the daily operations of the Grand Lodge, ushers you into his office in Absalom's Skyreach. "Greetings, I hope you are all well rested, as you have quite the journey ahead of you. I'm sending you on an important assignment in Nirmathas, near Lake Encarthan. Deep inside the Fangwood lies a small crypt, where two adventurers have been interred almost 200 years ago. However, our sources have revealed that they have been laid to rest with parts of an amulet, which the Society needs to obtain."

Ambrus pauses to give each of you a serious look. "Retrieval of these amulet parts is of the utmost importance, so share this information with no one. You will head for the sleepy little town of Kassen, which was founded by one of the two dead adventurers. Once there, you will meet up with a fellow pathfinder by the name of Cygar Anravis, who will have the details of the mission."

"As you might know, Nirmathas has been locked in a guerrilla war for indepence with Molthune for decades, so don't get involved in any border conflicts. The Nirmathans are a proud, stubborn people, fiercely independent, and they value freedom above all else. Do what you can to ensure this mission is succesful, and come back safely."

Any questions for the venture-captain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jalmari Raippalinna
Finland
Kirkkonummi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After casually walking in bit late, but just in time for the talk, Xengold listens carefully nodding every now muttering

"Nirmathas... Lake.. Crypt... Amulet.."
until he realizes what is being told and yelps:

"Wait what?!

I just signed up to Society and nobody told me about being sent right away on dangerous mission involving nations in war, guerillas, crypts and ghosts and what not nasty undead stuff. I was prepared to run multitude of errands, yes, but didn't realize we are leaving Absalom on first mission.

This is seems like a pretty dangerous trip, are we even equipped for spelunking some damp dungeons?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'm excited for the opportunity to rid the world of the evils you suggest."

Rufael nods with a stern face, sweeping his glance across the group, sizing them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bowyer
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Most Honorable Venture-Captain, one less familiar with the chivalrous nature of this organization may see our task as simple grave robbery. May I ask by what rights we claim this amulet?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jaramillo
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I drink and know things
mbmbmbmbmb
Soren’thael pulls out his pipe and a pinch of tobacco and begins preparing his pipe.

"What does this Amulet do, Venture-Captain? Seems like a lot of trouble to go and rob the dead."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sound of an audible slap arrives shortly before the door opens, and the venture captain's secretary, with a glare, lets Belmont Harrison in.

"I was just checking if you wanted to be a model for my newest line of intima..." the door slams before he gets a chance to finish.

The greasiest, most sleazy tiefling enters, he looks like a cross between a used car salesman, the VC of the Sczarini family, though even the Sczarini didn't want him.

He, quite rudely, asks Ambrus to start from the beginning.

OOC: Are any of the PCs female?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, I'm male this time

Jacob can understand the wish of the people. Their freedom is a right not to be violated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Not to worry, this should be quite a simple, straightforward assignment. Somehow, I doubt you'll be in any real sort of danger," Ambrus adresses Xengold, as a faint smile plays about his lips.

At the grave robbery comments, he sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. "It's true, many people see the Society as nothing but a bunch of tomb-defiling grave robbers, and really, who can blame them? But remember that ours is a quest for knowledge. It's a dangerous world out there, and I think you'll agree that these artifacts are safer in our vaults than in the hands of some of the people out there. As for the nature of this amulet, frankly, we aren't sure yet. We have a theory, but it's one that the Decemvirate is not willing to share yet. In any case, the fact that it was split into several pieces and interred with these people proves it was of some importance. Which is why we need to study it, and safeguard it. Rest assured that we wouldn't send an entire team if it wasn't important."

As the tiefling walks in, Ambrus rubs his forehead as he sits down in his chair. "As I was saying, you are being sent on an assignment in Nirmathas...," he begins again, barely able to keep the tone of annoyance out of his voice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bowyer
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mong takes a small step away from the tiefling. His presence is ... unseemly.

"I did not mean to question the motives of the Society, Sir. I meant only to learn if perhaps the locals or decedents of these adventurers had asked for our aid in this matter, or if we may find resistance to our activities when we arrive."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rufael uses Detect Evil and studies the tiefling as the VC repeats himself.

Acknowledging Mong, Rufael says, "Keeping any powers of the amulet away from the forces of evil should be reassurance enough that we mean them no harm. I will offer them any assistance at my disposal, should they request it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The locals will be expecting you, and an agreement with them has been reached. Cygar will inform you of the particulars when you meet with him in Kassen." The venture-captain looks uncomfortable for a moment, before adding, "It would be best to not mention the amulet however. Retrieval of an artifact of this kind would normally be cause for a lengthy negotiation, and this is simply to important to be delayed any longer."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a long and uneventful journey, you finally arrive at the settlement of Kassen. It's nearing the end of autumn, and the weather is already taking a turn for the worst, with dark clouds blocking the sunlight.

Kassen is a small farmer's town that relies mainly on exporting lumber from the surrounding Fangwood, utilizing the Tourondel River that flows into Lake Encarthan for transportation. There's a local town watch, two blacksmiths, a temple to Erastil, and a two-story inn and tavern in town called the Seven Silvers, which is where you meet up with a gruff looking man dressed in dark colors; your fellow pathfinder Cygar Anravis.

Cygar leads you to a table in the back, away from prying eyes and ears. You're served by a cheery little halfling, who brings you all manner of fresh produce, provided by the bountiful forest nearby. "Make sure to count your change when you leave, Jimes there has been known to short change people," Cygar warns you after the halfling disappears into the kitchen.

"So you lot are gonna head to the crypt then? Well, here's what you need to know; old Kassen founded this town. They say he used to be a crusader at Lastwall, who wanted a wee bit more and turned adventurer. Word is he and his party struck rich, and so he eventually retired and came here to tame this wilderness. Only, one of his companions apparantly didn't agree, and came to look him up, along with some mercenaries. Long story short, they both killed each other, and were buried in the same crypt."

He pauses for a moment to take a swig of his ale, before continuing. "The locals here have this tradition. Every few years, they send some young folk in there, as a sort of 'rite of passage', to light a lantern using an everburning torch found inside, in order to preserve the flame during winter. I managed to negotiate with them into allowing a group of pathfinders to take up the trek this year, so you can retrieve the amulet."
Grinning, Cygar adds, "I should mention though, they usually send some folks ahead to the crypt to set up some 'traps' and stuff as a bit of a joke. You know, fake moving skeletons, pits filled with pillows, that sort of nonsense. Also, the villagers have a flair for the theatrical. Just humor them, and play along."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cocuzzi wrote:
Rufael uses Detect Evil and studies the tiefling as the VC repeats himself.

Belmont radiates no evil, just a lot of self interest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jaramillo
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I drink and know things
mbmbmbmbmb

"Well if you all do not mind I think I will pay my respects to the local temple Erastil. See you gentlemen in a bit."

Soren nods and leaves the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hadda wrote:

"Well if you all do not mind I think I will pay my respects to the local temple Erastil. See you gentlemen in a bit."

Belmont smiles, and says, "And I'll go savor some of the local delicacies, leering at a barmaid. He quickly gets rebuffed, and comes back to the table, still smiling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bowyer
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mong looks sadly at Belmont as he returns to the table.

"Keep faith, someday the Goddess will grant you love everlasting."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hadda wrote:

"If you don't mind Soren, I will join you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jalmari Raippalinna
Finland
Kirkkonummi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everybody seems to be going to do their own business, perhaps I should go and make some prehand scouting, but first, nothing beats oldschool socializing for information.

"Jimes, my friend.. Pour me an another beer and one for yourself while you're at it and tell me more about this village and the crypt too. As you might know already, we have been chosen to take the trek to the everburning torch this year. Anything of interest to expect and/or look for inside?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing the others leave, Rufael says, "Excuse me, I'll be outside seeking people in need of help."

As he walks outside, Rufael continuously sweeps his view around the town, the buildings, and even the Temple to Erastil, always using Detect Evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jaramillo
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I drink and know things
mbmbmbmbmb
To Jacob

"By all means, Jacob, come. I certainly would not mind the company nor would I assmume Old Deadeye would."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cheery little halfling suddenly gets a very serious look on his face. "Oh my, you're the folks that'll be heading to the Crypt of the Everflame? Please, do be careful, that place is a deathtrap!" he says ominously.

"Well I'm thinking it's almost noon now, so we best head outside and get you folks on the road again, at least you've gotten some food into you," Cygar says, and also heads out into the town square.

Rufael does not detect any evil presence at all in the town. In fact, the town square seems completely empty, except for your own presence. As the others approach the Temple of Erastil, the temple bells start to toll their midday song, echoing throughout the quiet town of Kassen. As the peals begin to fade, the first of the townsfolk make their way into the square, dressed in black, as if attending a funeral. They slowly fill the square, moving quietly across the cold, hard ground, their eyes downcast and mournful. After a few moments, a murmur passes through the crowd, as it slowly parts to let a man through, dressed in fancy looking clothes. He leads the way with a tarnished silver lantern. Behind him, an old pony drags a cart laden with backpacks and supplies.

"See what I mean with the theatrics," Cygar whispers to you, barely able to keep the grin of his face. "That's Mayor Uptal," he adds after a moment.

Once Mayor Uptal reaches the center of the crowd, he stops and calls out to the assembled townsfolk in a ceremonious voice. "Once again the winter winds blow through the Fangwood, marking the end of another harvest. There are wolves in the woods, howling at our walls, and serpents in the shadows, waiting to strike. Just as it was one hundred and seventy-four years ago, when Kassen himself left these walls to protect us, so it is today. Where are the heroes? Where are the brave folk that will venture out to Kassen's tomb and retrieve the flame to keep this community safe for another winter?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rufael positions himself near the rest of the group, stands proudly, and proclaims, "We are here. We will retrieve your flame."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jalmari Raippalinna
Finland
Kirkkonummi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xengold whispers to Soren and Jacob while Rufael is talking to the mayor:
"While you were away, our fellow Jimes at the inn told me, that the place is a real deathtrap. Maybe there is more to the crypt what were being told, I trust the words of my kind."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [37] |