John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These exchanges have been fun, but I thought I would jump in now and give you guys a bit of a hint. The key to the exchanges with the captains is to try and improve their attitudes and thereby their prices. They all start out with a particular attitude which can be improved with the use of diplomacy, or possibly intimidation depending on the person.

Insight into what makes these people tick can possibly be gained through asking around first using either diplomacy or local knowledge, perhaps gaining a bit of an idea on how to approach these people.

These are good skills to get in practice with as they can be used to approach social encounters in a good number of PFS scenarios.

See Diplomacy for more details on how these things work.

All my responses from the two captains you have spoken with so far have been made with their attitude in mind so you may be able to work out where they stand at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walking into the Inn, ¨Ahh, do not get me wrong sir, some of my best memories growing up were with the family over a feast. You really get to know a person over the dinner table.¨ Finding a table in the corner, he heads that way to sit down. ¨Do you frequent this place alot? Figuring it is just down the pier from your vessel, probably a good place to stop for dinner and an ale after a long voyage.¨
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Aye...get to know someone...yes, I suppose you could, although getting to know one's food is usually the priority of course!" Otti's face lights up as he takes his seat and looks at the specials of the day on the nearby board. "Oh, yes I come here a lot...almost a second home you could say...ah hello Farlene, Samara, looking lovely today!" he waves to the two waitresses as he catches their eye. "So...pork and chicken for starters. The lobster with garlic looks good for the first main..." the little halfling gets more and more excited at the prospect of food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ionerie
Ionerie calls over the barmaid..

"Can I order some pork and chicken for my friend here?

He also would like lobster, but I do believe I overheard you saying it's off"
said Ionerie blinking furiously at the serving lady.

"...which is a shame, but the pork, chicken and some beer should do nicely"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The lobster is off? Oh well, I'll get some over in Escadar. With the 55gp you're giving me I might get two!" Otti enjoys his chicken and pork and goes for a baked fish for 1st main instead. "Hmmm 2nd main is always a hard choice..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
¨Lobster is off, hmmm. Let me go see, seems kinda weird as I thought I saw a boat unloading today. I will go talk with her,¨ Rundal points to one of the Waitress ¨You said her name was Farlene right?¨

The Paladin gets up and walks across the Inn to the Waitress. ¨Hello Ma'am, I trust you are well today? I am here with Mr. Otti and we are looking at passage to Escadar¨ pointing to the boats outside. ¨I see that Mr. Otti is offering us a good rate, but was thinking maybe you have heard of other who offer passage? Perhaps at a more discounted rate? Or maybe you could help us bargin a bit with our Halfing friend, he seem to be fond of the food here. ¨

Diplomacy: 1d20+6 = (11) + 6 = 17
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 392098. TheBigE
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (11) + 6 =
  • Wed Jul 3, 2013 1:32 pm
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sure, handsome! There are at least three boats that I know of who could take you to Escadar today!" Farlene smiles at Rundal, eyeing his nice shiny armor and well groomed appearance.

"There's Small Otti who I see that you've met. He loves his coin that little one...he actually has a large family at home to feed...although he's mainly feeding himself! Then there's that poor young girl Darice. Never knew her father that one!" She lowers her voice. "Word on the street is that her pa was a Pathfinder! You lot look like Pathfinders...are ya?"

Not waiting for an answer she continues. "Oh and then there's Crazy Old Tanner. Mad as a hatter, but the man can sail that's for sure. Best darn sailor around but mad as a cut snake. Take a ride with him and you might ride straight into a squall!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
¨Thank you very much for your help Ma'am. Just a question, do you have any Lobster in the back?¨
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Now he's fed and well disposed towards us, does anyone with good diplomacy skills want to try and sweet talk the halfling into offering us better rates?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Gisni is completely inept at this diplomatic talk, but she will heartily enjoy this peasant feast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will give it a go, just waiting to see if they have any lobster, figure that ought to be worth at least a +1 or +2 to die roll...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Farlene brings out a freshly cooked lobster...

You had him at food and drink...it didn't need to be lobster.

Add +5 to the roll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rundal hands over some coin to the Waitress, adding a little extra for her tip and takes the plate of fresh cooked lobster. ¨Thanks Ma'am¨ Walking back over to the Table, he sets down the lobster in the middle. ¨Well we were in luck, she had one left in the back, and I was able to talk her out of it.¨ Rundal slides the plate over under the nose of Small ¨She also said, that you were a fair an honest sailor, are you really sure that 55 gp is the best offer? We should be able to do better, now that we all have broken bread together...Bon Apetit!¨ Rundal raises his glass of Carbonated Apple Juice to the Halfing as a toast.

Diplomacy + Lobster: 1d20+6+5 = (8) + 6 + 5 = 19
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 392210. TheBigE
  • 1d20+6+5 =
  • (8) + 6 + 5 =
  • Wed Jul 3, 2013 3:49 pm
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Otti looks delighted as the lobster arrives and digs straight in with abandon. "Oh wonderful...mmmm, this is sooo good! You really are lovely folk, I have to admit! Perhaps I could give you a special price for the trip." The halfling seems to do some sums in his head and then continues. "I could get you across there for 25gp...that's only 5gp a head! How does that sound?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a decent price, anyone want to sneak out and check with Old Man Tanner or just go with Small?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
”Happy to go with Small”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roland unglues himself from the wall with satisfied grunt. "Sounds like a fair price, captain,"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Otti is thrilled that you are employing his services and you set out that day. He navigates you across successfully and regales you of all his favourite dishes and mentions constantly how his gut is the best bouyancy device on the ship.

I will set you up with our final scene in Escadar later this evening my time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rundal enjoys the fresh sea breeze on the bow of the boat, and relaxes in the sun on the voyage to Escadar....he sighs. ¨This is the life, just a quick trip across the channel on a nice night...what could go wrong¨
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escadar is the war port of Absalom, located on the Isle of Erran north of Kortos. It houses Absalom’s navy and is strategically placed away from Absalom’s treacherous Flotsam Graveyard. Furthermore, those nations intent on blockading Absalom must also deal with Escadar, for word spreads quickly, and Escadar’s armada can come to Absalom’s aid on short order. Along with the primarily military population, Escadar is also home to many gillmen (or Low Azlanti, as they call themselves). These amphibious humanoids have set up an embassy within the town, and it is with this organization the Pathfinder Society plans to trade Azlanti artifacts. The gillmen have agreed to meet you at a waterside tavern called the Grindylow’s Goblet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Hermance
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torent waking from his slumber as the arrive at Escadar,

"I think we should head straight to the Tavern and get this over with. "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm tempted to kiss the cobbles once we get there. No more dirt beneath my feet EVER again! It was more civilized in that undead keep than in the middle of the island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
mbmbmbmbmb
The journey over the sea has brought a big grin unto Roland's face, and he almost reluctantly gets off the ship once you arrive at Escadar.

"I'm sure the rest of our mission will go smoothly, like a bear on ice."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The heroes make their way to the tavern...

The sounds of a busy tavern echo off the wooden walls of this unusual building. Resting precariously over Escadar’s harbor, the Grindylow’s Goblet offers an unequaled view of the water. In the bar’s center, a thick glass aquarium presents a striking display. Within the tank, a coral statue of a goblin with the lower body of an octopus hosts a school of colorful fish that flit about the nooks and crannies of its tentacles.

The Grindylow’s Goblet is a busy tavern that offers entertainment and drink to those visiting Escadar. Thick wooden planks support the tavern floor as it stretches out into the harbor, offering a splendid vista of Escadar’s harbor. Wooden walls and doors make up the tavern’s construction, and several torches fill sconces that cast the tavern in normal illumination. At the tavern’s heart rests a 15-foot-by-15-foot aquarium crafted from alchemically strengthened glass and full of clear water. The bottom of the aquarium is also made of glass, and offers a view of the harbor waters, which are 10 feet below the glass bottom at the current tide.

Two human servers busily provide food and drink to the tavern’s patrons, and a striking woman tends the bar. Rundal and Torent notice the bartender is a gillman, as her tied-back hair exposes the thick gills on both sides of her neck.

Perception
Gisni 1d20 = (2) = 2
Ionerie 1d20+2 = (12) + 2 = 14
Torent 1d20+8 = (11) + 8 = 19
Roland 1d20+1 = (8) + 1 = 9
Rundal 1d20+2 = (20) + 2 = 22

LINK TO MAP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]