Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
518 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 3-01: The Frostfur Captives» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Brent Johnson's The Frostfur Captives [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2013 [+] [View All]
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the in-character thread, for telling the story. The out-of-character thread is here: Brent Johnson's The Frostfur Captives [OOC]

Players are:

Chris Limerick
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
Avatar
mbmb
Doug Maynard
United States
Newburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
"Other people matter." - Christopher Peterson
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb



Please post in third person, and include the name of your character somewhere in each post. Dialog should be in bold, and OOC content should be in gray. If you don't know how to do that, hit the "Quote" option at the bottom of this post and observe the markup tags used.

If you are not playing in this game, posting in the OOC thread is welcome, but please refrain from posting here unless you are answering a rules question.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Close the door," Ambrus Valsin murmurs as the team gathers in his office. "Let me start by saying, this mission is not for dissemination among other members of the Society.

The chamberlain of the Grand Lodge gives everyone a serious look in turn before continuing. "This mission is not an investigation, just a simple, straightforward assignment, but that makes it no less important. I need you to book passage to the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, and cross over into Irrisen. You’re to head north and rendezvous with another team who have captured some—" Valsin pauses for a heartbeat before continuing. "—persons of interest. We have reason to believe that these individuals have information on the Shadow Lodge cells that are refusing to reconcile with the Society under Grandmaster Torch’s leadership."

Valsin’s expression becomes particularly grim at that point. "If these rogue cells are outright refusing amnesty, then they represent a clear threat to all of us. I need you to take charge of these captives and get them out of Irrisen safely and quietly. Once you’re clear of Irrisen, a larger extraction team will take custody of them and bring them in for questioning. Of course, we will cover the
expense of your travel in full, and provide maps to lead you to the meeting point in Irrisen. Because of the nature of the mission and Irrisen itself, you’ll be meeting the other team in the field, away from what passes for civilization up there. The team you’ll be getting the prisoners from will show you the best route out of Irrisen, and the castellan of Trollheim has agreed to grant you passage through his lands. You are responsible for avoiding unexpected trouble between the handoff and Trollheim."


Valsin gestures for the team to depart, but pauses, staring at his fireplace for a moment before adding, "Wait. You need to know this. Your prisoners will be goblins. The Shadow Lodge separatists made extensive use of the sadistic creatures as soldiers and servants, and as much as you may want to throttle them, please remember that we need them alive." Then with a final nod for luck, the venture-captain dismisses the group.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lamanuel relaxes in the back, using the edge of his dagger to clean beneath his fingernails. Licking his lips, and quivering one eyes slightly, he quietly asks Ambrus. "Hmmm...and, just how many of them do you need alive? Surely you can spare one or two. In case examples need to be made? Hmmm..."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrus looks up, clearly annoyed. "And how do you propose to determine just which of the goblins do or do not have the information we need? They are not interchangeable, you know. And goblins being what they are, we will no doubt need to compare and contrast their stories just to get anything intelligible."

He shakes his head in disgust. "Keep as many alive as you can. Unless I miss my guess, you'll have a hard enough time doing that even without making any of them into examples."

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lamanuel lets out a frustrated sigh. No killing? Where was the fun in this mission, then? He wanted to see the goblin's bleed; see what their insides looked like. He could just imagine how the goblin's innards might steam upon the cold snow of the north. But...not this time. Not this time.

Perhaps he could just enjoy the little runts' sadistic natures. Let them torture a few woodland creatures, or something. Yes. Yes, that might be enjoyable enough.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Screech considers the possibilities, everything that is being said, wondering how he can make a few extra coin on the side, and then... he hears... they are Goblins...

An inhuman noise escapes from his beak... He looks more taken aback with the others from the sound.

Screech must have angered the wrong don to have wound up with this as his... first assignment.

"If these... Rogue cells... try to 'dispose of the evidence', are we to use lethal force, or should we bring them in for questioning also?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trig at first looks a bit embarrassed about the secret Shadow Lodge cadres, but all that fades as she hears about goblins. The right corner of her mouth twitches as she considers her immediate future.

"Surely, this will test our patience. I assume the rewards will be fitting the burdens, hmm?" she says, speaking softly, trying to pep up herself more than inquire as to any payment.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Limerick
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Davian quietly observes his fellows as he contemplates what Valsin has shared about their mission...and speculates upon what he hasn't.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
Avatar
mbmb
All along Ambrus's speech and the ensuing exchange, Amekethios's undecipherable eyes take the assembly in, gauging each one of them, pondering each word, especially the challenge that escorting a gang of goblins will represent.

Then he says: "Goblins might well be the traditional enemy, they're part of the wild anyway. They will have our protection as our mission demands."

The other attendees can notice that this archer wears the symbol of the Holy Order of Erastil, the archer god on his green and brown explorer's clothes, on his armored coat, buckler and on the medal he wears on his neck.

But what really stands out is that although Amekethios looks human and behaves like a human, his blazing emerald eyes and his fiery golden blond hair betray a different origin. He is an Aasimar.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
karpouzian wrote:
"If these... Rogue cells... try to 'dispose of the evidence', are we to use lethal force, or should we bring them in for questioning also?"

Ambrus gives Screech a hard look. "Part of our accommodation with Grandmaster Torch is to avoid unnecessary risk to Pathfinders in the field. If the rogue cells have learned of this mission and are able to find you, then you are free to use your discretion. In such an eventuality, your survival takes precedence over bringing in any prisoners."

His voice takes on a sarcastic tone. "But I trust you won't jump at shadows and mistake every little obstruction for such a discovery."

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrus waves the group out of his office, but then says, "Wait. One more thing. It should be obvious, but then some of you are pretty green, so I suppose I shouldn't assume anything.

"Before you embark, make sure you get cold-weather gear. It's cold up north, and how well you're equipped can mean the difference between life and death.

Now hurry up. You need to get to the meeting point as quickly as possible."


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trig tugs at her clothing, nodding absentmindedly as she starts to picture nice furs, a happy prospect diminishing at the thought of winter storms and endless nights.

To the shops!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Maynard
United States
Newburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
"Other people matter." - Christopher Peterson
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xiu Ying stands silently next to the others as Valsin gives the group their marching orders for this mission. Of average female height, she is clad head-to-toe in studded leather armor dyed black and loose clothing of the deepest purple. Her jet-black eyes and hair (held back with a pair of chopsticks) betray her Tien heritage. She maintains a steady expression of alertness and focus as she receives her instructions. When they are dismissed, she offers Valsin a practiced bow. "Thank you, Venture Captain."

As the group heads out to purchase necessary supplies, she stays silent while taking stock of her new assigned companions. She will join any others in buying clothing appropriate for their destination's climate, although she looks less than thrilled at the prospect of donning such bulky material. She makes no other purchases.

Lin is her family name; Xiu Ying, her given name, is pronounced more or less SHE-oh-ING
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lamanuel raises a single finger as he poses one more question. "Ah, one last thing, Ambrus. Umm...will the Society be providing tents for us, or should...um...we purchase them? hmmm..."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trig lets out a sudden giggle and winks at Lamanuel. "Maybe they want us to cuddle up with the goblins, or each other, to keep warm?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unknown Ediology wrote:
Lamanuel raises a single finger as he poses one more question. "Ah, one last thing, Ambrus. Umm...will the Society be providing tents for us, or should...um...we purchase them? hmmm..."

Ambrus fixes Lamanuel with a disbelieving stare. "Tents! Are you telling me that none of you know how to construct basic snow shelters if necessary? This isn't a recreational camping trip. This is a hard fast trek through hostile territory!" He shakes his head in disgust. "Tents!"

Ambrus gives Trig a hard look and looks as if he is about to speak, but just shakes his head again and says nothing more.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaah. That brings me back to boot camp. Good times. Good times.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The gnome purses her lips and looks at the others. "I hope you guys know how to build an igloo, because I sure don't."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
Avatar
mbmb
"Neither do I, but things will go fine. After all, if the mission was as perilous as you make it sound, they would have sent more experienced Pathfinders, wouldn't they?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Maynard
United States
Newburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
"Other people matter." - Christopher Peterson
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hexagram wrote:
"Neither do I, but things will go fine. After all, if the mission was as perilous as you make it sound, they would have sent more experienced Pathfinders, wouldn't they?"


Xiu Ying looks as if she is about to respond to this, then apparently thinks better of it, closes her mouth, and walks on silently.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lamanuel chuckles at the others' optimism. With a snarky sneer, he adds his own two cents, "Ummm....or perhaps it's a suicide mission, and we are the most expendable? Regardless, hmmm....let us go. I am anxious to kill."
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
Avatar
mbmb
Confronted with such pessimism and will to shed blood, Amekethios keeps silent and gets ready to leave, his thoughts on the mission his Faction gave him.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The journey from Absalom to northwest Irrisen is long but mostly uneventful. And cold. The journey is cold. Irrisen is disturbingly cold and barren.

Finally, however, the Pathfinders find themselves at the rendezvous location, a camp within a fairly shallow box canyon approximately 53 miles north of the Rimeflow River and 6 miles east of the Iceflow River. A team of six Ulfen rangers and druids, led by Ragna Lightfoot, is already breaking down their shelters in preparation to move when the party arrives.

"It's about time you got here," Ragna says sourly. "I've had more than enough of these filthy creatures. Keeping them in hand is like watching children, except that they're vicious and insane children. Come here."

Ragna takes the group to the box end of the canyon, which has been turned into a kind of holding pen with a makeshift fence pounded precariously into the frozen earth. "If you need to talk to them, the one with the oversized head is sort of their leader. At least, he thinks he's their leader. I'm not so sure any of the other goblins actually agree, but they usually do what he says. Usually."

The goblins are a miserable-looking lot. Only two of the five goblins - the one with the outsized head and another one with particularly large ears - pay the newcomers any attention. Two more just sit staring into space, while the last, slightly fatter than the others, digs desultorily in the ground, finally managing to pluck out the remains of a dead bush. He begins chewing on the roots.

Ragna shakes her head in disgust. "Be careful around them. Not only would they as soon kill you as look at you, but they're clever little buggers. And they all know Taldane well enough, don't let them fool you! If you talk around them, they'll understand everything you say and use it against you."

Just then an angry shout comes from further down the canyon, and one of the shelters goes up in flames. Shouting and cursing from one of the Ulfen rangers is joined with maniacal goblin laughter, and shortly afterward the ranger comes up to the fence and throws a sixth goblin over with somewhat greater force than is necessary. The creature skids to a stop and sits up, still giggling. Ragna just shakes her head.

"The fence doesn't keep them in, you see. It just slows them down a little."

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lamanuel's lips spin into a sly grin as he watches the flames and sees the goblins snicker. Clever little vermin, indeed. Might actually make for a fun trip. Lamanuel found himself wondering if perhaps the goblins could be convinced to work with the Pathfinders.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Backing far away enough from the canyon so that big ears can't hear, screech asks if anyone has a plan, and reminds the others that 'making an example of just one' still gives them pretty good odds that they have not killed the informant.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] |