Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's the OOC thread!

A few days ago, each of you received a missive from the Society, informing you to report to a seculded cabin near the Fenwall Mountains. Your group arrived only a short time ago, to find Sheila waiting .

Venture-Captain Sheila Heidmarch glances out a window as the last wisps of twilight fade over the Fenwall Mountains. Turning from the sight, she runs her hand along the rustic cabin's wall and stand beside an occupied wooden bed before addressing you.

"This," the venture captain says, gesturing to the man thrashing around violently, straining against the bonds that lash him securely to the bed, "is our colleague, Kalkamedes. Every night for several weeks now, he has fallen into a deep slumber and tried to sleepwalk right out of his cottage. If not restrained, he marches straight north, eventually falling off a cliff or into a bog as if trying to get himself killed in an attempt to reach an unknown goal." As though he were expressing disagreement, the man tied to the bed suddenly begins pumping his limbs even harder, the violent spasms threatening to smash the bed into splinters.

"There are those who have recently criticized the Pathfinders for our indifference to the plight of our fellow field agents. It's time to show that's not true. I want you to help Kalkamedes, whether he wants it or not. Several of our best spellcasters have attempted an extensive list of magical cures, but whatever sleepwalking curse or effect he's under tenaciously resists our efforts. All we can do is keep him safe." Heidmarh pats him with a degree of professional affection, and Kalkamedes rewards her by trying to swat her with his head.

"Kalkamedes's friends are at their wits' end, so we are going to attempt the only thing that we have not tried; we're going to let him go tonight. That's where you come in. I want you to follow him and keep him safe and in one piece. Let him get to wherever his addled brain thinks he needs to go so badly. Maybe, just maybe, if he gets there, you can find a way to help him. Maybe you can determine who or what did this to him and find a way to undo it." Heidmarch pulls out a serrated knife. "Now before I cut him free, does anyone have any questions or last minute preparations?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
A small halfling steps out from behind the group and bows to the man strapped to the bed, flourishing his hat as he does so.

Erwin Othollo, at your service!

The little bard hops up on the side of the bed. He attempts to pat the thrashing man's leg.

What, ho, sleepwalking, eh? I myself have the strangest dreams. Why just last night I... Well, oddly, I don't remember! But sleepwalking! That IS something. Reminds me of a certain young lass whose night habits I once had the, uh, pleasure of knowing. She would often walk in her sleep, well, more like run. And it was only one night... Never did see her again, come to think of it. But if I had had a party such as this to follow her into the night, then perhaps I would have gotten my wallet back, what, what!

Erwin slides off the bed, lost in thoughts, desperately trying to remember last night's dream. They always prove so useful.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Standing in the shadows of the hut, Grazden Moag steps forward into the lampslight slightly to look closer at the field agent. Barrel chested and rock hard, the dwarf had an axe larger than he strapped to his back. However that was certainly not the most striking thing about Grazden Moag. Running from his left cheekbone to the right side of his jaw, a hideous scar cut right through his cheek and lower jaw, and a portion of his mouth was missing. A thick black beard hid some of the damage, but one would have to be blind to not notice the wound. In most other ways the fighter looked like any other dwarven warrior, except perhaps for the signal whistle hanging about his neck.


Listening to the VC, Grazden snorts derisively upon hearing Sheila speak of the Pathfinder indifference to their own agents. He knew first hand that indifference, his face told at least part of the tale, and highly doubted that they were helping Kalkamedes out of the goodness of their hearts or pocketbooks. More than likely the poor man had some piece of knowledge or a name that the Decemvirate needed. And even more likely the Decemvirate had been the cause of the malady to begin with!

But he had talked, or at least communicated, with Torch and the man was clear on one thing, "Serve your fellow Pathfinder". That at least Grazden had no issue with. He would help this poor man to the best of his abilities, and he would protect these others with his life if need be.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
River!!

Erwin snaps out his revelry.

That was my dream! She was... Wait... Wrong dream!

He looks pensive again and then,

Falling! I dreamt of falling! And a funny sword, but falling! I say, does anyone happen to have a wand of feather fall? Might prove useful on this mission. I might have picked one up on the way here if I had thought of it. Then again, maybe I did! I can never remember what I have packed!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Standing in a relaxed but alert at-ease position, Matalan's purple eyes flick over to the struggling man, then back to the VC.

"Whatever foul deed has been done here shall be set right, and the glorious vengeance of Iomeda will be done by our hands according to her will. My faith is whole, I have no questions, Captain."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheila glances between each of the Pathfinders with an expectant look. "Well? No questions? Anything around the cabin you might like to take with you?"

Let me know if you search - and roll for me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Unknown Ediology wrote:
Sheila glances between each of the Pathfinders with an expectant look. "Well? No questions? Anything around the cabin you might like to take with you?"

Let me know if you search - and roll for me.


Let's not release the kraken quite yet, eh? Say now! What's this?

Perception 1d20+8 = (8) + 8 = 16
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 374961. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (8) + 8 =
  • 16
  • Perception
  • Tue Jun 4, 2013 3:37 am
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Is he, eh, dressed for his sleep-adventuring? Should we strap a homing beacon or perhaps some shoes? Maybe tie a continual flame torch to him? My rope has a continual flame spell on it. We could loosely tie it around his waist. Might help to leash him, what, what?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
Unknown Ediology wrote:
Sheila glances between each of the Pathfinders with an expectant look. "Well? No questions? Anything around the cabin you might like to take with you?"

Let me know if you search - and roll for me.


Let's not release the kraken quite yet, eh? Say now! What's this?

ThatFedoraGuy previously rolled 1d20+8 = (8) + 8 = 16 (Perception)


Erwin glances about the cabin, but nothing immediately jumps out, save for a few clothes in the wardrobe, some food in the cabinets. However, Erwin does catch sight of a piece of paper crumpled in the stove. Pulling out the paper, Erwin finds a crumpled and burned charcoal sketch. The tattered sketch depicts a squat fortress under a full moon enshrouded by clouds.

 


As Erwin pulls out the paper from the stove, he also notices a curiosity inside the appliance. In the back of the stove, hidden from obvious sight, is a lever. Pulling it, it releases the catch to a hidden compartment concealed in the floor, barely noticeable under a stack of barrels.

Inside the compartment is a large, locked metal chest.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Surely these are his items, Captain. But perhaps one is cursed?"

Matalan murmurs a prayer to see that which is magical in this place.

He casts detect magic and looks around.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Erwin pulls out the chest and looks it over for traps. He carries it outside just in case before attempting to unlock it.

Perception 1d20+8 = (18) + 8 = 26

Disable device 1d20+8 = (18) + 8 = 26
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 374965. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (18) + 8 =
  • 26
  • Disable device
  • Tue Jun 4, 2013 3:55 am
  • [+]
  • 374966. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (18) + 8 =
  • 26
  • Perception
  • Tue Jun 4, 2013 3:56 am
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
Avatar
mbmb
Not sure how to proceed in front of an assembly of such experienced Pathfinders, grey skinned Hak'Aoh stands out of the way while everyone is searching the place, his eyes on this Kalkamedes instead.

Then in a grave toned voice, he asks the Venture Captain:

"Has this man said anything since he got into this state?"

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking his eye's from the thrashing man, Grazden looks at the pathfinders around him. He'd fit right in with this ragged group. It was obvious what his role was to be. The half-orc could likely take care of himself, and was armed to the teeth to boot, but the others? The halfling looked as though he'd fold like a cheap tent once blades were drawn, and the cleric looked little better. So be it, he'd keep them safe and sound, and in the meantime hopefully they could find out what was wrong with Kalkamedes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
Erwin pulls out the chest and looks it over for traps. He carries it outside just in case before attempting to unlock it.

ThatFedoraGuy previously rolled 1d20+8 = (18) + 8 = 26 (Perception)

ThatFedoraGuy previously rolled 1d20+8 = (18) + 8 = 26 (Disable device)


Erwin detects no traps, and his deft fingers easily pick the lock. As the chest opens, Erwin finds an assortment of items. At the same time, Matalan begins to look for magical auras, and the chest glows like a hot coal.

Inside, the group finds a pair of bracers, a mud-splattered cloak, a dried containing some type of potion, an elixir, and an irregularly-shaped mithral flask with jigsaw-like edges containing a potion. Finally, in the very bottom, is a glittering blade that is clearly defective; a rippling break runs from its tip to its hilt like a crack in a broken window. Erwin instantly recognizes the sword as one seen in his dream. All of the items radiate with magic.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hexagram wrote:
Not sure how to proceed in front of an assembly of such experienced Pathfinders, grey skinned Hak'Aoh stands out of the way while everyone is searching the place, his eyes on this Kalkamedes instead.

Then in a grave toned voice, he asks the Venture Captain:

"Has this man said anything since he got into this state?"



Sheila gives a small shake of her head. "While in this condition, he says nothing. Merely does everything within his power to head north. And get himself killed. During the day, he is awake and interactive, but he remembers nothing of the night before."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Matalan smiles slightly.

"Well done, Erwin. By Iomeda's grace, I perceive these items are all imbued with magical properties. Wisdom suggests we figure out what they do, before deciding on the best course of use."

Matalan will attempt to quickly identify the items...

Spellcraft: bracers 1d20+4 = (10) + 4 = 14
Spellcraft: cloak 1d20+4 = (5) + 4 = 9
Spellcraft: potion 1d20+4 = (17) + 4 = 21
Spellcraft: elixir 1d20+4 = (4) + 4 = 8
Spellcraft: flask potion 1d20+4 = (3) + 4 = 7
broken sword 1d20+4 = (13) + 4 = 17

edit: weird, the dice roller was acting strangely. think it's better now.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 375156. eddie_drood
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (10) + 4 =
  • 14
  • Spellcraft: bracers
  • Tue Jun 4, 2013 1:40 pm
  • [+]
  • 375157. eddie_drood
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (5) + 4 =
  • 9
  • Spellcraft: cloak
  • Tue Jun 4, 2013 1:41 pm
  • [+]
  • 375158. eddie_drood
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (17) + 4 =
  • 21
  • Spellcraft: potion
  • Tue Jun 4, 2013 1:41 pm
  • [+]
  • 375159. eddie_drood
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (4) + 4 =
  • 8
  • Spellcraft: elixir
  • Tue Jun 4, 2013 1:41 pm
  • [+]
  • 375166. eddie_drood
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (3) + 4 =
  • 7
  • Spellcraft: flask potion
  • Tue Jun 4, 2013 1:43 pm
  • [+]
  • 375167. eddie_drood
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (13) + 4 =
  • 17
  • broken sword
  • Tue Jun 4, 2013 1:45 pm
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Erwin claps his hands together celebrating his own personal victory. As he does so, it triggers both of his spring loaded wrist sheaths, sliding a wand into each hand.

AHA! That's where I put it. One wand of Cure Light Wounds and one wand of Feather Fall. I did pick one up!

Erwin slides both wands back into their sheaths, waiting to hear what this small cache of magical goodness contains. He adds in what he can to help.

Spellcraft - Aid another 1d20+8 = (7) + 8 = 15
Spellcraft 1d20+8 = (12) + 8 = 20
Spellcraft 1d20+8 = (20) + 8 = 28
Spellcraft 1d20+8 = (15) + 8 = 23
Spellcraft 1d20+8 = (11) + 8 = 19
Spellcraft 1d20+8 = (19) + 8 = 27
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 375409. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (7) + 8 =
  • 15
  • Spellcraft - Aid another
  • Tue Jun 4, 2013 8:51 pm
  • [+]
  • 375410. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (12) + 8 =
  • 20
  • Spellcraft
  • Tue Jun 4, 2013 8:52 pm
  • [+]
  • 375411. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (20) + 8 =
  • 28
  • Spellcraft
  • Tue Jun 4, 2013 8:52 pm
  • [+]
  • 375412. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (15) + 8 =
  • 23
  • Spellcraft
  • Tue Jun 4, 2013 8:52 pm
  • [+]
  • 375413. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (11) + 8 =
  • 19
  • Spellcraft
  • Tue Jun 4, 2013 8:52 pm
  • [+]
  • 375414. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (19) + 8 =
  • 27
  • Spellcraft
  • Tue Jun 4, 2013 8:52 pm
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
I really hope I'm not using up my good rolls
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
Avatar
mbmb
Hak'Aoh nods silently at the Venture Captain's words and then turns his attention toward his party, gauging each one of them, a little unsure of such a combination.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As his companions appraise the magical items, Grazden tries to think of what dangers or manners of beasts they might encounter. He could ask the VC, but he doubted she knew much. Probably hadn't done much than push a quill for years.

Another thought strikes the dwarf as he ponders potential hazards. What if the man never reaches his goal? Presumably at sunrise he'd stop, but for how many days, or rather nights, should they press northwards? The woman seemed to think that there actually WAS a destination, but for all they knew the man was heading straight to the north pole.

Several hard days and nights were likely in store, but that didn't bother Grazden. He could march for days if need be, and likely carry the halfling to boot if it came to that. He just hoped this VC wasn't sending them into another trap.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
Erwin claps his hands together celebrating his own personal victory. As he does so, it triggers both of his spring loaded wrist sheaths, sliding a wand into each hand.

AHA! That's where I put it. One wand of Cure Light Wounds and one wand of Feather Fall. I did pick one up!

Erwin slides both wands back into their sheaths, waiting to hear what this small cache of magical goodness contains. He adds in what he can to help.

ThatFedoraGuy previously rolled 1d20+8 = (7) + 8 = 15 (Spellcraft - Aid another)
ThatFedoraGuy previously rolled 1d20+8 = (12) + 8 = 20 (Spellcraft)
ThatFedoraGuy previously rolled 1d20+8 = (20) + 8 = 28 (Spellcraft)
ThatFedoraGuy previously rolled 1d20+8 = (15) + 8 = 23 (Spellcraft)
ThatFedoraGuy previously rolled 1d20+8 = (11) + 8 = 19 (Spellcraft)
ThatFedoraGuy previously rolled 1d20+8 = (19) + 8 = 27 (Spellcraft)


Between Matalan and Erwin, the pair manages to identify the items. The final tallying of items around the house is as follows:

An explorer's outfit, a pair of strong boots, bracers of armor +1, cloak of resistance +1, elixir of swimming, a dried gourd containing a potion of cure light wounds, and an irregularly-shaped mithral flask with jigsaw-like edges containing a potion of hide from undead. The razor-sharp flask doubles as a caltrop or an improvised dagger. The longsword appears to be a +1 allying mithral longsword

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Loot! Shall we divvy it up?

Seems like Hak'Aoh should take the Bracers, as monks seem to need all the AC help they can get.

Malatan should probably take the +1 longsword, though if it's broken perhaps there's no point.

Grazden could use the Cloak as his reflex and will are both fairly poor.

That leaves Erwin with the potions and elixirs?

What does everyone think? Anyone have a particular desire to use certain items?



PS: Nate, do you mind putting a link to the OOC in the first post?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Matalan is pleased to use the sword, so long as it is functional.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
Is he, eh, dressed for his sleep-adventuring? Should we strap a homing beacon or perhaps some shoes? Maybe tie a continual flame torch to him? My rope has a continual flame spell on it. We could loosely tie it around his waist. Might help to leash him, what, what?


As Erwin gazes at Kalkamedes thrashing form, he can see the man is wearing only his sleeping gown. The man is not currently attired with any clothes, or boots, or such.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eddie_drood wrote:
Matalan is pleased to use the sword, so long as it is functional.


Basically, the sword has the Broken condition.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] |