Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
133 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Shrine of Olidammara - puzzle encounter. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Mithra be praised," says Brother Jenkins. "If the legends about what lies within are only half-true, we must be very wary indeed. We'll have to stick together, protect one another, and work as a team." While speaking, he prepares a torch and lights it with his tinderbox, though his shaking hands betray his nervousness.

"Is everybody ready?"

Reposted in the proper thread.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One rogue and one fighter are needed to dungeon hunt, I can be any of those two.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Étienne Clovisier, fightress extraordinaire, at your service! I can remove this tiny door from its hinges, if you like, using just the right tool."

She hefts a warhammer bigger than she is and smiles politely.

Sounds like you are a rogue. ;)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alek Onus
The rogue. Long sword on the main hand, dagger on the left, Bow on the back.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbe Benoit maintains a chant watching his companions eagerly
He carefully re-slings his rather large satchel and lute
Checks the balance of his trusty gnarled staff between his hands

A bright amulet with an inscribed mask hangs around his neck
"Let us be off my Children, may the Gods be kind to us today", he says in a cheerful tone
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jenkins watches his companions tighten straps and buckles and make last minute arrangements of their most important gear for quick access. "Amen," he mumbles in reply to Abbe Benoit's invocation. Receiving a silent nod from Alek, Brother Jenkins turns to Étienne. "Please do the honors."

He stands back to give her room to swing the mighty warhammer, and holds the torch high to light whatever the open doorway may reveal.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Pleasure to serve, your holiness." Étienne swings the warhammer with ease, striking a tremendous blow against the door, which results in....
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbe winces at the damage to the temple wishing he had a key
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Watch for splinters," she says as she steps forward into the hallway, nodding with her head to indicate that others, especially the priest holding the torch, should follow.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbe takes a place in middle of the group with his torch being followed by Brother Jenkins and Alek
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Why do these evil cultists always have to build shrines to their malevolent world-devouring gods underground? And why is there always some sort of profane mechanism involved?" Brother Jenkins ponders out loud to no one in particular. "Lovers of buttercups and ponies and sunshine, they were not."

He raises the torch high to better illuminate the room and looks carefully at the track arcing across the ceiling.

I'm imagining from your description something like a railroad track. Two parallel tracks coming vertically out of a hole in the floor at one side of the room, going up along the dome to the apex of the ceiling, and descending down to the opposite side through another hole in the floor. Is that roughly correct, or is it a single rail? How large are the holes in the floor where the track goes through? How large is/are the rail(s)? Is the track made of metal?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"On the contrary brother, Olidammara is a jovial kindhearted God though He is known for his...ahem...pranks", Abbe says in a florish
In recent times, the temples had to be made more secure because of Godless heathens pillaging everywhere"
He approaches the mechanism and studies it
Knowledge check?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Étienne grabs the wizard by the scruff of the neck and hauls him back. "You sure you want to be crossing this floor without knowing if it is trapped in anyway? Can't you study from afar for right now?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Étienne examines the pattern of the floor more closely. "Hmmm, I am sure some of this could be improved by smashing things."

Does she notice anything?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jenkins' eyes travel along the length of the mysterious track to the floor, where the intricate pattern of the tile work catches his eye.

Brother Jenkins Perception check (WIS 16, so +3 modifier)

1d20+3 = (6) + 3 = 9


"Reminds me of the tile pattern in the bath house next to the Grand Temple of Mithra, though the dwarf craftsmanship there was much superior to this."

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 368754. MonsterMike
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (6) + 3 =
  • 9
  • Fri May 24, 2013 8:33 pm
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perception 1d20 = (14) = 14

I don't need good vision to smash things.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 368759. downeymb
  • 1d20 =
  • (14) =
  • 14
  • Perception
  • Fri May 24, 2013 8:44 pm
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Perception 1d20 = (8) = 8
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 368760. rdonoso
  • 1d20 =
  • (8) =
  • 8
  • Perception
  • Fri May 24, 2013 8:46 pm
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbe is yanked back by the bighammerweilder
"Ah, that would be most wise", he says meekly
1d20 = (4) = 4
1d20 = (13) = 13
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 368871. nukeu666
  • 1d20 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Sat May 25, 2013 2:02 am
  • [+]
  • 368872. nukeu666
  • 1d20 =
  • (13) =
  • 13
  • Sat May 25, 2013 2:02 am
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we can't stand here all day
Does anyone have something they can roll across the floor to check for traps?
Or walk along the wall to reach the other side?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jenkins studies the inscription on the obelisk carefully. Is he able to read it from the entry to the room? Does he recall any lore about Olidammara or his followers that would give the obelisk or its inscription any meaning?

Recall Lore is one of my skills, so I make an INT check (-1) and add a skill die (d6). I have advantage on all skill checks to recall religious lore, so I'll roll the d20 twice.

Skill die 1d6 = (3) = 3
INT check to recall lore 1d20 - 1 = (16) - 1 = 15
INT check to recall lore 1d20 - 1 = (18) - 1 = 17

Looks like a total of 20.


"Hmm... Perhaps Alek would be kind enough to see if any sort of trigger mechanism lies beneath these suspicious looking tiles before we cross the floor to examine things more closely."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 370855. MonsterMike
  • 1d6 =
  • (3) =
  • 3
  • Skill die
  • Tue May 28, 2013 3:40 pm
  • [+]
  • 370857. MonsterMike
  • 1d20 - 1 =
  • (18) - 1 =
  • 17
  • INT check to recall lore
  • Tue May 28, 2013 3:40 pm
  • [+]
  • 370858. MonsterMike
  • 1d20 - 1 =
  • (16) - 1 =
  • 15
  • INT check to recall lore
  • Tue May 28, 2013 3:40 pm
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alek
I will look for devices, try to find traps or any other kind of devices.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, I can count to five, so I know where that is on a sundial. So, errrr...where does the sun start?"

The warrioress looks for a number of lines equal to the number of fingers on her right hand (she is missing her pinky on her left hand).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alek
"Ok, how many circles do you guys see again?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"How many of these geowhatsit patterns are there? More than five? More than five. That's a lot"

Could there be 12...?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
could we get any kind of drawing?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |