John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the In Character [IC] thread for one of our offical RPG Geek Pathfinder Society Games. Click here to learn how you can join the guild and take part in our regular offering of sanctioned Pathfinder Society games!

Our cast of characters:

Character Player Class/Level PFS #

Milo Montajay residue Bard 1 78307-2
Ozgg znirp81 Barbarian 1 78727-1
Hiram Thistlefoot Rodafowa Rogue 1 78729-1
Endo Fineleaf Vladimir17 Cavalier 1 73392-2
Indo Cobbz20 Monk 76206-1

Quick link to Character Depository.
Quick link to the OOC thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are in the Grand Lodge of Absalom, center of operations of the world-spanning Pathfinder Society, the party has been summoned by the Master of Spells, Aram Zey, who has instructed you to meet him in a vault deep below Skyreach—and to dress warmly.

A five-by-seven-foot tapestry hangs on the wall, surrounded by a series of platforms and ladders to allow a close view of any spot upon it. The room is otherwise empty, save for the Pathfinder Society’s Master of Spells, Aram Zey, who paces impatiently before the Hao Jin Tapestry, glancing up as the door creaks open.

"Yes, the halfling group, just what I ordered. Well it was Ozgg that I wanted, but apparently he doesn't travel alone! A shame your other companions were otherwise occupied, but it seems they were needed elsewhere on pressing business. I am sure young Indo here will fit in nicely. He comes highly recommended from the...what faction was it again? Oh, and Indo and Endo! That should be fun, what? Haha!...but enough. Ahem, let me get to the point!"

“Thank you for your quick arrival, Pathfinders,” Zey says curtly, he starts pacing again, without making eye contact, as though his mind is moving faster than his mouth. He gestures toward the tapestry.

“As I’m sure you know, we recently came into possession of this wonder behind me—the Hao Jin Tapestry—by winning the Ruby Phoenix Tournament in distant Goka. Within this piece of fabric lies an entire world in which one of Golarion’s greatest magicians placed treasures and mysteries beyond imagining. And it was supposed to be ours alone. This promise of exclusive access was made a lie, however, when the Aspis Consortium found a way into Hao Jin’s astral vault that bypassed the tapestry altogether, and Aspis agents are now busy stealing whatever they can move, hoping we will act too slowly to protect our winnings. Fortunately, a recent mission into the tapestry managed to uncover a clue about a possible Aspis base within the tapestry. That is your destination.

“The camp, interestingly, is within a great stone temple complex uprooted from the Vudran jungle many centuries ago by the sorceress herself. Since her disappearance, that part of the tapestry has been encased in a massive glacier. This temple—dedicated to a Vudran monkey-god, we believe— could prove enlightening on its own, notwithstanding the Aspis presence there. It’s a grim thought imagining what the Consortium has done to the place, but apparently more than three-quarters of it is still protected by the glacier, so we can still salvage a great deal.

“Vanaras—the simian humanoids responsible for constructing this temple—are great builders, and this temple is representative of the huge complexes that once graced the Vimada Forest before their wars with men and the rise of Khiben-Sald. It’s a representation of the cosmos, really, a series of nested squares with symbolic shrine-mountains all directed toward great Bahmenu, the mountain birthplace of the god Ragdya and, the vanaras believe, the center of the universe. This symmetry may serve you well, since it will help you predict the layout and functions of the temple as you make your way around it. Every corner of the temple will be fitted with a small shrine, all facing the symbolic mountain.”

“Even an abandoned temple is a holy place to the vanaras, as it is to most of us Vudrani as well, and we hope you respect that fact. If you can save the sanctuary from the insolence of the gods-damned Aspis, it may draw the mirthful and enlightened eye of Ragdya himself upon our Society.”

Feel free to ask any questions or roll play away. I am finalising getting some of the maps setup but will move things along before long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo looks absolutely stunning in his winter clothing. The amount of squirrels that had to perish so that he could looks this nice? Hard to say. He puffs on his pipe and listens to the briefing, trying to keep up with the names and the intrigues and the... "Oh, monkeys again? Great. Just great." he groans, shaking his head. "Why does it always have to be monkeys?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nearly everything flies over Ozgg's head. It's just words anyway.

"Wha.. ..Monkeys, Ozgg want monkeys!" Ozgg says standing up straighter and suddenly showing interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo backtracks a little bit and his eyes widen, followed by a confused brow on his forhead. "Wait, just... wait for a moment. I must be confused, but are we being sent into... into the tapestry?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozgg strolls over and takes a peek behind the tapestry leaving a dirty hand print on the trim then scratches his head in confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Master of Spell frowns at Ozzg as he sullies the precious tapestry but holds back any remarks...it is the great Ozzg after all!

Turning to Milo, somewhat distractedly, his mind clearly frazzled by the state of affairs, he replies, "Yes indeed, you are going inside the tapestry. It contains a pocket demiplane, created by the Tian sorceress Hao Jin to hold her largest and most dangerous treasures. Any creature can select a target location on the tapestry, and enter the demiplane instantaneously with the utterance of a command word.

Behind each arriving creature floats a 2-foot-diameter sphere of pulsing blue light, each visible only to the creature whose journey to the tapestry created it. A creature stepping into its own extraplanar eddy is shifted back to the Material Plane, to the same place it traveled from. If that space is occupied by another creature, the teleported creature appears as near as it physically can.

In this case, the 'creatures'...well the creatures are you!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Endo listens to Aram and he obviously feels uneasy about the mission.

"So, uh, into the tapestry. Well, that's quite interesting.....er...in case of some, say, unfortunate event, can my body be at least recovered for proper burial here?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aram clears his throat at Endo's rather upsetting question. "Well, let's hope that's not necessary, but yes as long as one of your companions is alive to carry you back through their personal sphere then yes you should be quite fine...well, relatively speaking of course!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Roe
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greenclaw wrote:
“Oh, and Indo and Endo! That should be fun, what? Haha!...but enough. Ahem, let me get to the point!"
"No, old boy. Haha-er is the other chap." says Hiram helpfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"So our mission, should we choose to accept it which we of course will do, is to go in, kill every last one of them, and then get out?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cobb
United States
Cortland
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indo looks as content in the heavier winter clothing as he does in his usual robes. He arrives with only the clothing he wears, his ever-present quarterstaff, and a small backpack and belt pouch.

Thank you for the kind words, Master of Spells, Aram Zey. I come from the Lantern Lodge. As far as our mission goes, To see what is right and not do it is the worst cowardice. My mind and body are prepared to depart when everyone else is ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"So kill, loot, monkeys! Ozgg doing that easy!" He says with a very toothy grin at his companions.

"You! You's new!" He says realising a new face in the group.

"You with talky talky face?" He asks as he sniffs the air in the direction of the monk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cobb
United States
Cortland
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The monk calmly look up at the much bigger half-orc and points to himself.

"Indo," he says. He opens his arms wide and smiles, "Friend. And you are Ozgg?" He tries to keep things simple for the half-orc, and not get too talky face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Roe
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greenclaw wrote:
The Master of Spell frowns at Ozzg as he sullies the precious tapestry but holds back any remarks...it is the great Ozzg after all!

Turning to Milo, somewhat distractedly, his mind clearly frazzled by the state of affairs, he replies, "Yes indeed, you are going inside the tapestry. It contains a pocket demiplane, created by the Tian sorceress Hao Jin to hold her largest and most dangerous treasures. Any creature can select a target location on the tapestry, and enter the demiplane instantaneously with the utterance of a command word.

Behind each arriving creature floats a 2-foot-diameter sphere of pulsing blue light, each visible only to the creature whose journey to the tapestry created it. A creature stepping into its own extraplanar eddy is shifted back to the Material Plane, to the same place it traveled from. If that space is occupied by another creature, the teleported creature appears as near as it physically can.

In this case, the 'creatures'...well the creatures are you!"
Hiram, for some reason feeling somewhat dimmer than he did a few days ago, blinks at the Master's explanation.

"Oh, simple as that eh? Pocket extra demiplanars and whathaveyou. Well why didn't you say so, old fruit?"

He nods to Milo.

"We kill every last one of them respectfully, my dear fellow. It IS a temple after all, what?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, as there seems to be no more questions, you better be off! Good luck, and yes clear this place out of the despicable Aspis agents. We need this place clear so that we can study it properly!" Aram indicates to the group that they simply need to touch the tapestry at a point marked in the bottom right corner and speak a command word that he gives you on a slips of paper.

Your appearance within sight of the Temple of Ragdya is instantaneous. The air around the glacier hovers around the freezing point, the residual warm air from when this region was a jungle and the cold of the glacier keeping the climate relatively stable.

The ground within the Temple of Ragdya is smooth stone and the walls are 1-foot-thick, 30-foot-high masonry. The bottom 20 feet of the walls are clear of ice and are covered in relief sculptures, while the top 10 feet of the walls are coated in a thick sheet of ice. The entire temple is open to the air although a domed inner building can be seen further in.

The moat surrounding the temple’s outer walls, once filled with warm water, dancing fish, and beautiful lilies, is now nearly solid ice.

Symmetrical and colossal, the brownish-red stones of the Temple of Ragdya emerge from the glacier, hinting broadly at the scope and immensity of the vanaran complex. Sinuous nymphs, mighty tigers, and trumpeting elephants—frozen in ruddy stone—encrust the temple’s outer friezes. Packed snow and ice clad depictions of vanaras in jungle scenes, creating an odd dissonance between the climate illustrated in the carvings and the frigid conditions of the temple. The wind howls, and muted voices drift from within the temple. Even more eerily, a strange hooting and shrieking issues from the temple’s cornices and spires, as if by some magical or artificial means the calls of thousands of monkeys echo the sound of the arctic storm. A wide doorway stands unobstructed, providing ingress to the columned courtyard within.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you enter the main entryway you see...

Four columns stand vigil in this open-air courtyard, a wide doorway opening in the center of each wall. To the east, a huge banyan lies fallen across the wide bridge that once permitted access to the great gates of the temple. To the north and south stretches a ten-foot-wide walkway running along the temple’s exterior wall. A wide moat of black ice separates this walkway and the inner complex. To the south, a crude wooden ramp leads from the walkway to the ice’s surface ten feet below. Two steep stone stairways lead up from the ice to doorways in symmetrical chambers flanking the main entrance on the other side of the moat.

MAP

Ok, you have three options to choose from to enter the temple. Climb down and cross the ice to the North. Make your way over the tree in the middle, or take the ramps and walk across the ice to the South.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo studies his surroundings, lips pursed. "A mysterious temple in a dimensional pocket. Hey, lets send Milo." he grumbles and points at the ice. "Are those cracks in the ice?"

Cant we just try and follow the walkway along the wall instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you can't see it because I've cropped off the picture which reveals what's inside the temple, but if you were to go along the walkway down the south and then turning east you would come across a large glacial block of ice similar to the one at the end of the wall to the North. Basically, unclimbable glacial cliff faces many feet high.

You need to get into the temple which is off to the East. The only feasible ways in are the three described. The main path blocked by the tree, the makeshift ramps just to the south of the main walkway, or the cracked looking ice to the North.

You could go further south and climb down to the ice rather than take the ramp but the ramp on the other side would still be the only easy way in unless you wanted to try climbing over the ice topped 30ft walls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another MAP with view only access just to paint the full picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks. My mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cobbz20 wrote:
The monk calmly look up at the much bigger half-orc and points to himself.

"Indo," he says. He opens his arms wide and smiles, "Friend. And you are Ozgg?" He tries to keep things simple for the half-orc, and not get too talky face.

Ozgg grunts unimpressed by the monk.
"You's dumb? Where your sword?"

just after arriving in the pocket plane.

1d20+4 = (6) + 4 = 10

Ozgg upon hearing the distant sound of monkeys looks around excitedly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 348236. znirp81
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (6) + 4 =
  • Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:04 am
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon arrival, Endo mounts Mr. Snuggles and grabs his lance. When finally ready, he starts feeling the cold air and gently pats his wolf.

"Don't worry, old chap. We've been through worse weather than this."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So no-one with any thoughts about which way to go yet? Just enjoying the brisk weather for now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well its such a lovely day!