tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Ukens
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are in Absalom, the mighty City at the Center of the World, and you’ve always longed to explore one of the countless ruins of failed conquerors that litter the plains outside the city’s walls.

You’ve heard rumors that one of the sealed siege castles has been laid open by a minor earthquake. Word on the street is that no one has yet entered the tower, which folks are calling the “Fallen Fortress.” What better way to start a life of excitement and adventure than by exploring its long-abandoned, dusty halls and perhaps claiming its ancient treasures?

The adventure assumes that all of the characters know each other already. Go ahead and introduce yourselves. You can also make a plan to travel to the Fortress, which lies not far from Absolom's unassailable walls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Junpei approached the Grand Lodge, he recalled the meeting with Venture Captain Amara Li just yesterday.

"The recent seismic activity in the Cairnlands outside of Absalom has uncovered four similar towers. Venture Captain Ambrus Valsin has decided to test some new Society recruits by sending in four teams to investigate. Typical of Ambrus he had to add a twist to it - each team is composed of Society recruits with similar capabilities. As a newly arrived recruit, you have been selected to represent the warrior team - your comrades in this will be a bit rough about the edges and brutish, a barbarian and some half-orcs.
Now, I have heard tales of your journey from Minkai to Absalom, and I know that you will bring honour to our Lodge as well as to Tian Xia. That is all."

Upon entering he saw various groups standing around in the atrium of the Grand Lodge, but it was fairly easy to spot the other warriors. He walked over to them, introducing himself. "Greetings, my name is Junpei Terada - my sword and bow are at your service. I believe we are to investigate one of these fortresses together."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The half-orc female dressed in forest green looks shyly at Junpei for a moment. Seeing nothing but friendliness in his manner she steps forward and offers a hand. A small leopard moves silently forward at her side.

"That is what I have been told, yes. I am Kadrun, of the Arthfell Forest. This is Pala, if you give her your hand she will learn your scent and know you are a friend."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Junpei looks in appreciation at the leopard. "This is a true and loyal friend, you have there Kadrun. I will introduce you both to my companion Hiroshi when we set out for the fortress - he is in the stables at the moment." he says as he removes his gauntlets and offers his hand to the leopard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stugbu walks up to the meeting place for all four of the groups. His Pathfinder induction had been cut short for this important mission but he was looking forward to the challenge! As a devoted Paladin of Serenrae he had expected to be placed in the religous group so starts to walk over there first, but somewhat confused he thinks there might be too many there already. "One...Two...no, hang on...One...Two...ah, Three...er, Four! No that no good!"

He looks around to the other groups. "Sneaky guys...no that not for me! Magic group? No, Stugbu not know magic!" Finally he sees a group with less than four members and makes his way over there.

Seeing a friendly looking man talking to a lady in a green hood with a cat, he walks over to greet them. "Hello my name..." he suddenly notices the woman is no woman, she's a half-orc like him, and a pretty one at that! "Ah...I mean...I'm...no you're...I...um...Stugbu!" He sticks out his big hand, the big mitt dangling out in midair between the druid and him.

Suddenly feeling he's being rude by ignoring the man the half-orc lady was talking to, he quickly turns to Junpei before Kadrun can respond, the large sword at his side swinging as he turns and smacking into the druid's wild cat.

"Me sorry! Me Stugbu, who you?" he says to Junpei before realising he had now just ignored Kadrun! Turning back to her he says, "ah...sorry...me not see many half-orcs since I left Katapesh awhile ago. I knew a few guys in the gladiator pits, but they not quite as pretty as you! Me...er...me Stugbu!" he bows to the woman in green. "Paladin of the Everlight...at your service my lady!" ,he says with a big toothy grin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I would be very glad to meet Hiroshi" Kadrun was saying to Junpei, smiling at the respect he was showing to her friend, when Stugbu arrived.

Kadrun has barely enough time to register his presence before he turns away and Pala lets out a "Rrrrrrowww!!" of surprise and outrage. Bristling, she places a hand on the leopard's head to forestall anything regrettable and glares at the newcomer as he turns back. "Do you never think to look down?!"

It takes a moment for Stugbu's words and who, or rather what, he is to sink in. "You're... a Paladin?" she says wonderingly, "They let you?"

Pala growls quietly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Going gentle into that good night
badge
Badger badger badger
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunnar strides confidently towards the loudest commotion in the Grand Lodge, and regards the group before greeting them in his booming voice. "Well met, friends! I am Gunnar Olofsson of Kalsgard, and unless I'm mistaken, we will be companions on the expedition to one of the ruins outside the city. I've just eaten, so I'm ready to leave as soon as you are!"

Gunnar looks to be a typical Ulfen warrior, with fair hair and beard, and a toned, muscular physique. He is lightly armoured and wears functional clothing, and has a long-handled hammer strapped to his back. His pack looks heavy, but the weight does not appear to cause him any difficulty. Anyone taking a closer look at him can see a not-inconsiderable amount of Gunnar's breakfast still clinging to his beard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Junpei was about to answer Stugbu, when the half-orc quickly turned to Kadrun. Sensing Stugbu's discomfort Junpei held back his answer as the half-orcs interacted.

And that is when he noticed the barbarian striding towards them. "Amara Li was right, this will be an interesting test," he thinks.

"Well met, Gunnar. I am Junpei Terada from the kingdom of Minkai in Tian Xia. I too am ready to leave. I must admit that this area is new to me, so has anyone been given a map to guide us?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The usually charming and likeable half-orc realises he's somehow got off on the wrong foot with this fellow half-orc, her cat and possibly the samurai as well.

Realising his extended hand is still hanging out in mid-air and that both the druid and her leopard are now glaring at him, he quickly pulls his hand back. "I sorry, I not mean to hit your cat!...Good kitty?" he says as he takes half a step back from the growling feline.

He turns back to greet Junpei and the approaching Gunnar as well. "Sorry friends, Stugbu not usually forget his manners!" He smiles a big tusky grin. "Me glad to meet you all! We be strong group, yes? No little wizards to worry about, huh?

Turning back to answer Kadrun's question, "But yes, of course they let me be Paladin! Serenrae, the Dawnflower, blessed Everlight! She is kind to bad things and monsters like me!" He looks down at his feet and says softly. "I used to be bad man...I do bad things! But Serenrae redeem me...I good guy now!" His eyes light up again and he stands up straight and tall, his confidence seemingly restored.

"I serve Dawnflower and help bad things be good things...or help good people see monsters aren't always bad thing..some bad things are actually good!" Pausing to see if he had explained himself clearly, or perhaps just trying to check his own understanding, he then adds, suddenly looking a bit unsure of himself again as he considers the female half-orc in front of him, "Er...you not bad girl are you?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kadrun isn't at all sure if she understands this unusual paladin, but his earnest good nature is clear. She strokes the leopard at her side and whispers "It's ok, Pala, I think he's a friend."

Turning to Stugbu, she tries to reassure him. "My name is Kadrun, a druid of the Arthfell Forest. I... have been bad... before... but I hope I have learned better now." This other half-orc was reminding her of far too many things she had tried to leave in the past. "I didn't mean to doubt you, just now. It's just that, Paladins were heroes in stories when I was young and I never thought a half-orc like me could... never mind." Kadrun turns away, wanting space to think, and sees Gunnar with Junpei. She moves to join them and introduces herself.

"You must be the last member of our group. Does that mean we're ready to start? I am more than ready to leave the city and get back to wild spaces and fresher air."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Ukens
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Directions to the Fallen Fortresses have been provided. They are a few hours trek from the gleaming walls of Absolom.

if there are any last-minute purchases you wish to make, please feel free. Otherwise, we will advance to the group of you spotting the towers in the near distance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cithaeron99 wrote:
Directions to the Fallen Fortresses have been provided. They are a few hours trek from the gleaming walls of Absolom.

if there are any last-minute purchases you wish to make, please feel free. Otherwise, we will advance to the group of you spotting the towers in the near distance...
After saddling up Hiroshi, Junpei is good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kadrun grabs an extra waterskin, 10 sling bullets, a length of string and a length of thread from a shop on the way out of town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stugbu watches the others get ready to move towards the towers. "Yeah, Stugbu ready for this. Let's go!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Badger badger badger
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yes! Let's get out of this overcrowded town quickly, and find what this ruined tower has in store for us!" Gunnar's speech is uncomfortably loud, but he doesn't seem to realise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Ukens
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the accurate directions provided to you by the Pathfinder Society, finding the complex of towers is not difficult. Travel through the Cairnlands is arduous, but not dangerous at this stage.

The ruined siege castles now being called the Fallen Fortresses rise out of the churned earth of the Cairnlands. Your group is able to approach the correct tower.

No doors or windows mar the otherwise smooth expanse of the tower’s walls. The tower is quatrefoil in plan; its eastern wing has largely collapsed, exposing the interior floors to the open air. Only the topmost level seems whole, though its eastern portion hangs precariously over the mountain of rubble left by the collapse. At ground level, the rubble frames a gaping hole in the side of the building that provides access to the tower’s darkened interior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Badger badger badger
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunnar marches purposefully towards the tower. "So, do you want to explore that bottom level, or climb up a bit?" he shouts to his companions. Stealth is seemingly not forefront in his mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"To be honest Gunnar, climbing is not my forte and I would have to remove my armour to attempt it - I fear that would put me at a severe disadvantage in a fight. I suggest we explore the bottom level and look for some internal stairs."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yeah, me say go down in hole too! Stugbu not 'fraid of dark!" The big paladin of Serenrae strides up to the front of the group and starts walking towards the dark opening.

"We got no little sneaky ones to scout out ahead! I guess we just try to hit things before they hit us!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Ukens
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kadrun is eager to get exploring and follows the others.

"Pala, is there anything alive in there? Seek, girl!"

Pala pads quietly ahead of the group and sniffs around the opening...

I am assuming Kadrun has been using her quarterstaff as a walking staff and therefore has it in her hand already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Junpei retrieves his bow and nocks an arrow, his eyes flitting from side to side, trying to penetrate the shadows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Ukens
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A pack of wild dogs, thin and feral, crest the rubble behind the group staring intently at the tower. The appear desperate and hungry as they move to attack.

Surprise Round

Initiative

Kadrun

Pala (Surprised)

Dog 3

Dog 1

Junpei (Surprised)

Stugbu

Dog 2

Gunnar 4

Kadrun is up. Remember, this is the surprise round, so you are limited to either a Standard Action or a Move Action plus any free or swift actions you would like to perform.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kadrun swears quietly. "Poor things look half starved, but I don't think they'd appreciate trail rations."

Ready an attack if any of the dogs moves close enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] |