Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
604 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [25] | 

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (3rd Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: [IC] Hammer & Anvil rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2013 [+] [View All]
AL D

Connecticut
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to perform a skilled intuition check and look at the recovered map more thoroughly, hoping to see if I can recognize anything else that's important to us.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AL D

Connecticut
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Logenth inspects the map and looks closer at the details, hoping to recognize something regarding the areas on the map that he has knowledge of from prior experience.

Intuition check 4custom8{iid:1521663;iid:1521663;iid:1521666;iid:1521666;iid:1521666;iid:1521666;iid:1521665;iid:1521665} -> ( iid:1521663 iid:1521663 iid:1521666 iid:1521663) -> (
) [+]
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 327304. adeesa
  • 4custom8{iid:1521663;iid:1521663;iid:1521666;iid:1521666;iid:1521666;iid:1521666;iid:1521665;iid:1521665} =
  • ( iid:1521663 iid:1521663 iid:1521666 iid:1521663) =
  • ( iid:1521663 iid:1521663 iid:1521666 iid:1521663)
  • Intuition check
  • Mon Apr 1, 2013 12:23 am
james schweig
United States
SAN FRANCISCO
California
flag msg tools
I bought this for no reason
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If this map means some kind of a threat to Altdorf, then I say we must go there.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AL D

Connecticut
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
" Of course", Logenth exclaims back."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No-lan
"What about our former plan to walk to the outpost and then to Hochpointe? We could probably get a more secure passage through the mountains from there."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
Avatar
mb
adeesa wrote:
Logenth inspects the map and looks closer at the details, hoping to recognize something regarding the areas on the map that he has knowledge of from prior experience.

Unfortunately the details of the lower sections of this area of Altdorf are unfamiliar to Logenth; however, it occurs to him that one of the tiny symbols on this map is ornate enough to possibly originate from the hands of a high-elf(?)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
Avatar
mb
1 Sigmarzeit (the 4th month)

Five sundowns have passed.

On the eve of your first travel day from the crash site, Kartigan could no longer bear the thought of the roaming rat men he knew to be in the area; he bid farewell and headed north into the dark of night to give chase, the peaks of the mountains around you bearing witness to the slayer's quest.

You had 5 days of food and water (recovered from the wreckage in the previous episode). Some among you possessed enough skill to forage and hunt, but it became clear that little bounty would be had from these stark mountain hills. Fortunately a rough trail of sorts presented itself on the fifth day, leading south and west. (Some of the tracks that appeared on the trail from time to time looked suspiciously similar to large rat feet; fortunately there were no encounters.) The shortage of supplies made the decision to follow the trail almost given.

Hiking on the trail became easier over time as it began to descend into a depression in the mountains. Soon it was joined by a steady tributary that came from somewhere high to the north. Where it led was unknown as it is unmarked on Mallis' map. An unnatural fog dominated your late afternoons, preventing sight lines farther than you could throw a rock, necessitating early camp times. The tributary soon spilled over into marshes and eventually you found yourself hard-pressed to remain dry.


On the eve of the fifth night, the top of a vine covered tower could be seen, illuminated by a large fire - probably a signal fire for Mallis to navigate by. The tower sat at the high point of the surrounding crags. A small town meandered around the base of the tower, finding purchase where it could in the strange mix of rocky crags and swampy wetlands.


* The difficulties of travel over this rough terrain are mildly offset by having peaceful rest at night and, at least for a while, being well supplied. I've adjusted PARTY TENSION -1.
* For each full night's rest, everyone recovers FATIGUE equal to Toughness (adjusted -1 for the rough terrain) and STRESS equal to Willpower. (Even with the penalty that should be enough to wipe the slate clean.)
* Travel distance has been about 5-10 miles / day, taking into account rolling hills sometimes thick with vegetation and the need to back-track when confronted with impassable terrain.


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james schweig
United States
SAN FRANCISCO
California
flag msg tools
I bought this for no reason
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's go to the city and resupply. Gain some knowledge about the area and where we are going. Maybe they know of the rat men.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No-lan
philosophant wrote:
Let's go to the city and resupply. Gain some knowledge about the area and where we are going. Maybe they know of the rat men.

"I agree. We should quietly inquire about this Skobb person here. Who knows what else is looking for him..."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
Avatar
mb
Your approach into town is not met with any challenge, there are no guards, and the few folk out at this hour that do make eye contact with you withdraw into the shadows as quickly as they appeared out of the fog.

There's only one public house so you make your way in that direction.

Aside from the tower on high and the public house, the other significant places you notice through the shroud of darkness are the gates of a large Garden of Morr (larger than you'd expect to serve this lonely part of the mountains let alone this small outpost) fallen into disrepair, its graves barely visible fighting to be claimed by the mire at the edge of the outpost town, and a small library - a makeshift affair that looks more temporary than not.

Before you can make it much farther a raised lantern suddenly appears in your faces, an agitated old face topped with a shock of grey hair studying you. He wears the white robes of a Verenean Priest. More surprising than his sudden appearance is the fact that his robes are pristine! He beckons you towards the library of which the front door is now open, "Come this way, quickly. Your help is needed and you will not be safe if you are discovered as newcomers to this town."

Standing inside the doorway of the library is a confused looking hulking brute of a man, covered in the same marsh goo as everyone else other than the Priest. Within, a small warm fire causes shadows to dance among the shelves of books that make up most of the interior of the small single-story building. A table with food and drink attracts your gaze.

The man in the library is Boris.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Melinder
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just arrived in the town from a hard trek through the marsh, Boris gratefully accepted the old priest's offer of food, drinks and a roof over the head. After eating a full plate of food he's now standing inside the doorway, enjoying a beer and waiting for the priest to explain what his help is needed for. Boris can count the number of times he's been inside a library on the fingers of his hand, and he feels quite out of place.

When the others come in through the door he looks at them briefly, smiles and nods at them. He moves over to let them enter the main room.

(I'm not sure if Boris has met any of you before? Feel free to invent possible ties)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james schweig
United States
SAN FRANCISCO
California
flag msg tools
I bought this for no reason
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the problem brother? Marx moves towards the priest and makes the sign of verena to him.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AL D

Connecticut
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Creeping behind Marx, Logenth cautiously watches the unidentified man.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
Avatar
mb
The Verenean Priest nodded vigorously; under his breath he chanted:

Verena let me see the truth,
Verena let me hear the truth,
Verena let me speak the truth.




His shoulders seemed to be unburdened when everyone had finally gathered around the table, especially at the sight of a fellow scholar. He said:

In my old age I had started to doubt the veracity of my faith. A fellow man of the robes told me several months ago that if I should find myself here at Maw's Peak I would be able to help the winds of fate mold goodness into darkness forming and that I would find Truth. With the help of a benefactor we now have this library; we don't get many visitors but my forays into the surrounding countryside have produced much to ... ponder.

On one of my fact-gathering journeys west down the mountain, to Fauligmere, I encountered for the first time in my life an actual witch! One night a hound caught his scent as the witch approached the town and a dog began to bay. Soon other dogs joined in, and folk tottered from their houses, carrying weapons and flaming brands. The witch was soon surrounded by the villagefolk. One jabbed at him with a staff even as I warned him off, and the witch broke into song!

It was a strangely beautiful voice and I wanted to approach the wild-eyed young man, until lights began to dance around his hands, and his eyes glowed with purple fire. The crowd moaned. The trespasser had witch-powers!

With a sweep of one hand, the witch scattered the villagers. Energy crackled from his hand, and the thatch of a nearby house erupted into flame. A villager lunged at the witch with a spear, but a blast of magical flame jetting from the witch’s fingertips hurled him aside. The folk of Fauligmere ran screaming, and the witch fled.

Please, my work here is urgent and I cannot help them, but you can! Go and see the Baron of Fauligmere, Eldred. If you agree, I can see you get quick passage to Fauligmere.


Finally he looked around conspiratorially, "There's something amiss here at this stark outpost. Some of the townsfolk whisper tales of the walking dead. I fear I will have to move my time-table up with the deliveries of the tomes I have gathered here at Maw's Peak to our collection in Altdorf sooner than expected. When you are done at Fauligmere please return here to help in this most important endeavor. My benefactor here Lord Von Sauss is the brother of Baron Eldred. Use that knowledge if you need."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james schweig
United States
SAN FRANCISCO
California
flag msg tools
I bought this for no reason
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
By the will of Verena i will see it done, my brother. But what is it that troubles you my brother, is there some way I can help you here in the library. I would truly be most helpful here.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Melinder
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boris twitches at the mention of witches and makes the Sigmarite cross sign. As many of the common folk in the Empire he has a healthy respect from witchcraft and knows to stay away from it.

"Aren't there any witchhunters around who can deal with such things?" he asks with a somewhat nervous tone of voice.

It then seems as if he just realised something.
"There wouldn't happen to be any kind of reward involved if the witch is captured?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No-lan

"If we agree to help, will you try to find out if a man named Skobb was ever around here? We need to find him."

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
Avatar
mb
"Getting to the meat of the matter," the priest smiles, addressing Boris. "I like it, the meat of matters is where the Truth dwells. For the past few months Lord Von Sauss has covered for his brother in Fauligmere concerning tax collection - specifically the lack of any collection. Gustav Haschke, an Imperial bailiff, offers recompense in the amount of 140 silver for investigation and report, a nice even number that can be divided among you. As a follower of Verena I am concerned with the justice of things and would see this done. As Lord Von Sauss has been our kindly benefactor through these hard times I absolve myself from being involved, but will make arrangements with the bailiff if you so desire."

Glancing at Marx the priest continues, "A fellow scholar such as yourself needs no further incentive, but I might add that I hadn't gotten to the point of being able to do any research before the witch made its appearance. The folk of Fauligmere care not for the knowledge we Vereneans might bring to them, but that does not mean there aren't things we might learn from them."

The priest looks around at No-lan at the mention of Skobb, taken aback as if he didn't realize wild elves could speak the language. He recovers after a slight hesitation and says, "Someone... shall we say quite heavyset, bearing the emblem of House Benedetto came through here with much bluster several days past. He was headed to Fauligmere. I seem to recall the name sounded like Skobb. Perhaps that is him." At the mention of House Benedetto, Logenth perks up.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AL D

Connecticut
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ahh, House Benedetto, a noble family I'm very familiar with. Can you tell us anything else about this portly man. Did he say what his intentions were for going to Fauligmere? Was he with anyone else at the time?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Melinder
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boris perks up at the mention of the 140 silver reward. He's never been close to that kind of money before. And a loyal subject of the Emperor should of course do all in his power to fight witchery.
"Alright, I'm in."

He looks at the others and says
"If you're going to help out, maybe I could join with you? There's safety in numbers I think."

When waiting for the others he stuffs some bread, cheese, and dried meat into his cloth sack. He grins at the priest and asks quietly "Some food for the road, I hope that's alright father?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
Avatar
mb
Facing Marx, with a stern look on his face, "It is not your time or mine to die, yet. And only death awaits us here brother. No, my fate is intertwined with yours and Fauligmere is where the next chapter will be written." The Verenean gestures about the small room in reply to Boris' query, "of course you are welcome to what you need."

Addressing Logenth, "At one point, as this man walked down what passes as a street for us here, a villager with a bucket of tar fell off a ladder. Not only did this Skobb avoid the tar, he also saved the villager from broken bones. He moves more lithley than he looks and certainly for a man of his size! That's when I noticed the mark. He wasn't openly bearing it, and was not sharing his purpose."

"Well, if that's all I need to make your travel arrangements."

Fill in anything mundane you need/want to do during this hour.

An hour later, the streets are empty and even the public house is dark. A carriage is heard pulling up to the library but strangely there are no horses, only a driver, a quiet young man with one blue eye and one brown eye. The priest explains that his last journey to Hochpointe bore stories of inventions cropping up at towns along the route through the Grey Mountains, and even more wild tales of the inventors of these contraptions. Most had gone mad. How he came about this horseless carriage and how it works he doesn't explain, but apparently the young man, Stanlis, would see you to Fauligmere by dawn.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No-lan
After filling up on provisions, I take some time for the maintenance of my weapons and armour to make sure that they won't fail me during our next quest.

To the driver: "I don't trust automated vehicles. The last one I was in crashed and we almost died. I would prefer to feel the ground beneath my feet. Can I walk beside it or will it move to fast?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Melinder
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boris stuffs enough food to last for two days into his bag and picks up the rest of his meager belongings. He then steps out from the library and waits outside leaning on a tree.

When the others come out he puts his hand forward and says:
"I'm Boris by the way, figured we should at least know each other by first name before chasing witches."
He continues with a smile.
"If you need anything lifted or broken I'm the guy to go to."

He then looks at the others expectantly.

When the automated wagon arrives he peers at it with a puzzled expression. He shrugs and enters the carriage.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james schweig
United States
SAN FRANCISCO
California
flag msg tools
I bought this for no reason
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marx spends some time wandering through the library looking for some interesting or rare books.

As he walks outside the wagon pulls up.

"Oh how fascinating, A horseless carriage!! I will have to look at this more closely when we get where ever we are going.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
Avatar
mb
fourmyle21 wrote:
"I don't trust automated vehicles. The last one I was in crashed and we almost died. I would prefer to feel the ground beneath my feet. Can I walk beside it or will it move to fast?"

Stanlis looks at you with a gleam in his mismatched eyes. "Dun ya worry... sir. I'll get ya der fast. Yer welcome to try to keep up though." Some stray hairs on his head rise straight up as the carriage rocks back and forth as if attached to impatient invisible steeds.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [25] |