Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2013 [+] [View All]
Jon
United States
Alexandria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
“…at least I’m not digging stuff again. I hate to dig.” Rhys thought as he wandered around, essentially looking for a hole in the ground that someone else had to dig. Yet another firefight has ended, a little more blood, and the net result is that Rhys is scared. He’s scared that he won’t find an opening to the tunnel and that some officer will ask the squad to dig out the collapsed well.

Since first landing in France, Rhys had been amazed by how fair war is. There he was, landing in the water with a hodgepodge of American men. Some were annoying, some were lazy, some were funny and others downright heroic, but as the noises got louder they all became the same—men who die when shot. Rhys has no idea why he didn’t get hit. Barry did. Dwight did and so did Rusty. They were all crawling right next to him. Rhys mused, “I’ll probably get shot, but not until after they make me dig.”

He was only half serious, and knew his squad had been really fortunate. He’d heard of the utter hell that some of the others had and continue to endure. These Germans are quite a bit tougher than he had imagined, considering every German he’d met before the war lived a backward life and wore a funny beard. They don’t even talk the same, although admittedly most of the shouted German words Rhys understood would be spelled with four letters back home.

In fact, at least for this squad, most things are different than imagined, or at least different than Rhys imagined the others had imagined. Sergeant Butler, a mechanical savant, has to watch the armored divisions pass by while he trudges and crawls through the dirt. Reeve is constantly trying to recognize places and people from his childhood, but it’s unlikely that much is the same. Hoot is still waiting for a stealth mission so he can show off his “turtle dove” imitation, and Lenny, clearly the best shot in the squad, usually ends up just stabbing the Germans in the chest.

Despite all of that, and the current unavailability of French female hospitality, the squad has been fortunate. Many are still alive, relatively unscathed, and now they might have to dig. Fair enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Reeve's parents couldn't have been prouder when they discovered that their son was going to fight the Germans in Europe and (according to his mother) single-handedly liberate France. She had told all her friends that her son was going to kick the Germans out of Paris. Then she sat down and wrote letters to all her family over in their home village of Beynes. Jean-Pierre was under no illusion that delivering these letters was even more important than winning the war. Unfortunately for him, his Company had entered Paris from a more northerly direction and he had missed Beynes by several miles. He wondered if he would get any leave whilst they were in Paris, and if he'd be able to walk the 10 or so miles back to his village. Probably not, he decided. He'd just have to face his Mother's wrath. Fighting Germans seemed like the easier option. Except for that one long day in June...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew dreamed of a lot of things: a tall glass of cold beer--make that several glasses, the plump pair ta-tas on his wife back home, seeing his boys ride their bikes, his mom's sweet potato pie... It was in these quiet times that he wrestled with his demons. He never dreamed growing up that he'd ever have to kill a man, much less fight a war. This was all bullsh!t to him. Even Germans like beer, boobs, good food, and watching their children grow up...right?!?

And then there was the calm after a fight. It was in these times that Andrew would look up, German blood and brains splattered across his face, and take in the deep blue of the sky--notice the warble of a bird--glimpse a delicate flower untouched by the carnage of war.

Maybe if these Nazi (sm)ucks had some of my mom's sweet potato pie, they'd all go home...damn, does she make a mighty good pie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew williams
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lenny grew up with the sea. Its sounds and smells an integral part of who he is. Just thinking of them allows him to relax and focus. It was the memory of the sea that allowed him to get up the beach that day. It helped him to put aside the image of their sargeant dying on the ramp. It helped him put aside the shelling, the bullets, and the bodies.
It helped him believe that he'd make it even as friends died.

He knew they were at war. He knew what his duty was. Within those parameters it was ok with him whenever he stared down the barrel of the rifle and pulled the trigger. But all he really wanted was to return to the sea, to sail in the clean air, and wash off the blood.

However he could help end the war quicker, he was up for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmb
As a reward to your bravery and discovery, your squad is granted a 1-day leave to enjoy liberated Paris.

So, what will our soldiers do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ole' Redneck takes the passes and forms up the men. On me, on the double! The old man has granted us a 1 day pass to enjoy liberated Paris. I don't know abot Y'all, but I could use a little and maybe a perty girl. So, what are the rest of Y'all wanting to do? I would prefer us to "buddy up" incase we run into any trouble.

Redneck isn't looking for trouble, but I am sure he will likely find it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The french women sound tempting Sarge...but, I just want to finish the job so I can get back home to my girl."

"I'd like to take in a show if we can find one..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure we can find one here in Paris. Despite the occupation by the krauts, there still seems to be a happening scene 'round here no that the Germans are gone. Let's go have some fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reeve thinks for a moment.

"Well, Sarge. Is there any chance I could take a short stroll back West, out of town? The village I was born in is just a few miles back that way, and I'd really like to go and visit. Maybe say Hi to a few cousins, aunts and uncles? It's probably a 2 or 3 hour walk each way, unless I can find a bicycle to borrow. Or a Jeep.

...And I have some letters that my Ma would
really like delivered.
What do you say, Sarge?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with that, but you need to buddy up. Let's do this, I will go with you. The rest of you buddy up and look out for each other. I want everyone back here in 23 hours, NO exceptions. Understand? Oh and do not get arrested by the MPs.

Now, let's see if I can scrounge us a jeep....

Redneck and Reeves walk off towards the motorpool. Redneck's voice fades away. The men only here; Maybe you have a sister......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ha! No sisters, I'm afraid Sarge. But I'm sure my Ma's sisters will look after you!" he grins at Redneck

"Really, I have no idea what to expect, I don't really remember much of the old village. My family have lived there for generations, before we came to the States, and I've got about a dozen letters for aunts and uncles. I'll be happy if I can just find someone who remembers us, so I can deliver these things and report back to Ma."

He looks over at Redneck. "Are you sure you don't mind giving up your day off to come with me? It's not likely to be anywhere near as exciting as a Paris show?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turning to Reeve as they walk towards the motorpool; You need to have a buddy just in case and I know if I go into Paris I am bound to wind up drunk and in a fight or stealing me some jeeps and racing them through the streets of Paris. Pulls a long drag from his half lit cigarette. Either way I would wind up in the brigg and that ain't no good for any of us. Maybe a home cooked meal and a bottle of wine would be the safer road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reeve looked up and smiled as Redneck walked out of the office jangling a set of keys. He was full of mixed emotions. Joy that he would be going back to his birthplace; relief that he didn’t have to walk there; apprehension over what (and who) he might find; nervousness about whether they might run into any renegade Germans on the journey.

Nevertheless, as they hit the road West out of Paris, he was glad that he was going, and doubly glad that he had Redneck with him. He hadn’t known him long, but he already knew that here was a man he could trust. They had been through a lot together in the last few weeks. They all had. But as they left the busy Paris streets for the countryside, his thoughts moved from his comrades-in-arms to his family. He tried to recall everything his parents had told him about the old village, with its old church, town hall and castle ruins.

He snapped out of his daydream as he realised Redneck was talking to him...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Redneck had tried to procure a jeep for the day, but that hadn't work out so well. Leaving the make-shift motorpool office with a set keys, the two soldier walked into a row of parked duece and a halfs. Looking at the key tag; Yep, here it is. Hopping up into the cab; Reeve's? Reeve's? Snap out of it! You gonna need to tell me where is it I am going. I ain't from 'round these parts you know.

The trucked roared to life with a quick turn of the key. Throwing it into gear, Redneck quickly pulled out of the yard and made his way through town. Keep your eyes open for trouble. Boy I hope the engineers fix these damn roads! How's a man to light a smoke with all this bouncing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Alexandria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Realizing he is broke and in possession of middling charms further hindered by blood stained and rather ripe clothing, Roni sets off in search of a warm, government sponsored meal and a shower. The temptation of Paris is irresistible, though, and it won't be long until he is wandering the streets, chatting up anyone available to hear stories of resistance, action and wartime adventure. Maybe some old French grocer has a young daughter...
R rated thought bubbles now hover above Rhys' head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The short journey into Beynes was uneventful. Soon after leaving Paris on the main road West, they took a left turn down a small road, through the forest and emerged into a small village on the hillside. The town was dominated by the Church and Town Hall just off the main square. The old castle ruins stood nearby. As they pulled into the square in their truck, the few people they saw seemed to disappear.

"Pull over by the cafe, Sarge" suggested Reeve "I'll get us a coffee then try and find someone who remembers my family. Ma said my uncle Jacques was a butcher and Aunt Marie ran the cafe. One of them may still be around"

They stop the truck and get out. Nobody is in sight, but they get the feeling they are being watched. As they enter the cafe, they see half a dozen people turn to watch them as the conversation turns to silence. Reeve turns to Redneck. "Not the welcome I was hoping for, Sarge. Let me do the talking." He can see that Redneck is not impressed with the frosty welcome, seeing as they are meant to be the liberators.

[ooc - to make life slightly easier, red speech is English, pink is French]

He turns to the proprietor and talks (loudly) in perfect French "Would it be possible to get a couple of coffees and some pastries? I've come a very long way and fought a hell of a lot of Germans to get home. My Ma always said that Aunt Marie made the best pastries this side of Paris."

His words seem to cause some sort of disturbance amongst the patrons...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoot looks around.

"Who the hell am I supposed to go to a show with? Sh..." Andrew hustles after Roni offering to pay his way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Alexandria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[ooc: I'll type a real reply when I stop laughing at our sad selves]

Everybody needs a good wingman.

Hoot...it's great to be alive and in a newly liberated Paris. Thing is, I can't shake the thought that we ain't seen nothin' yet. Lets go recharge, and celebrate with the rest, but I'm gonna be ready tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... A low murmuring of voices began at the tables as the man behind the counter turned to the doorway behind him and called out “Marie! There’s an American in the cafe who thinks you’re his Aunt!

Everything seems to stop for a few long seconds. Then there’s a loud crash of dropped crockery and a woman appears in the doorway. “Jean-Pierre? Is that you?” There’s absolutely no doubt in Reeve’s eyes that this woman is his Mother’s Sister.

Aunt Marie!” He responds, with a huge grin on his face. The woman rushes out from behind the counter and envelopes him with a huge hug, only broken off so that she can plant kisses on his cheeks.
Rene!” she exclaims, turning to the man behind the counter, “This is Michelle’s boy, Jean-Pierre! He’s come home!” With that, Reeve finds himself at the mercy of another big hug. The rest of the cafe erupts in turmoil as Rene and the other patrons all want to shake his hand. Eventually, Reeve manages to escape long enough to get some words out.

Aunt Marie, it’s great to see you. I wasn’t sure if anyone would be here, what with the war. Is uncle Jacques here too? What about the rest of the family?” He stops “Oh, how rude of me. Aunt Marie, I’d like you to meet my friend Sergeant Redneck. He’s looked after me, well all of us, since we landed. if it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t be here now. Oh, and he doesn’t speak French

He turns to Redneck. “Sarge, this is my Ma’s Sister, Aunt Marie” He just manages to get the words out before Redneck gets the same hugging treatment.

He turns to Rene. “It’s a very great pleasure to meet you, Rene. But is there any chance of that coffee? We haven’t had a decent cup since we landed.
Coffee be damned!” replies Rene “This calls for Brandy!” And with that he disappears to find a bottle of the good stuff.

Word spreads quickly through the small town, and very soon the cafe is packed to bursting. Looking around, Reeve notices that there are no young men present. He decides not to say anything. Instead he concentrates on finding owners for the letters he has to deliver and to meeting what seems like every resident in the town. Time passes quickly and soon evening approaches. The cafe starts to thin out a little as people go back to their homes for their evening meal. There is still a large crowd around Reeve, however, and Redneck seems to have found himself in the company of three young ladies. No language barrier there thinks Reeve, smiling to himself, but his attention is soon drawn back to the crowd around him.

Aunt Marie shushes the crowd. “Now, Jean-Pierre, tell us all about America...

[ooc – it appears that the townsfolk don’t speak in italics. That makes things easier. Who’d have thought!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jean-Pierre and the townsfolk talk well into the night. Eventually, though, he has to get some sleep – he has Germans to fight tomorrow. He looks around, but Redneck has long since disappeared. So have the young ladies. Aunt Marie makes a bed for him in a spare room and insists he stays the night.

Reeve sleeps well. When he comes downstairs in the morning, Redneck is already in the cafe, filling his face with the most enormous breakfast he has seen in a long while. He pops his head around the kitchen door and says good morning to Aunt Marie and Rene, then joins him at the table, where Rene brings out similar sized dish for him. Whilst they are eating, Aunt Marie joins them and hands Reeve a letter to take home. “This is for your Mother.” she says “Make sure you deliver it”. Reeve nods, this breakfast is too delicious to interrupt. “And you,“ she says turning to Redneck “are to see that he stays alive so he can deliver it!
She is glad you are enjoying the food” translates Reeve, rather inaccurately.

Once they have finished breakfast and had their fill of real French coffee, they get ready to leave. It seems half the town has turned out to wish them well. Redneck fires up the truck and, accompanied by tears, blown kisses and shouts of farewell, they head North, back to the main Paris road and the reality of war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmb
+ The following day at HQ. +

You are all standing at attention when Cpt Long enters his tent, ready to receive his new instructions.

"At ease boys.

Once again let me command you for your bravery and dedication to the inalienable values of the United States of America.

But before I give you new orders, I'm going to add a new unit to your squad: Jacob Stubbs. His section was entirely wiped out during the assault on Sainte-Mère-Église last June but he survived, although badly wounded."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reeve gives the new guy a welcoming smile. "Hey Stubbs, glad to have you along" He just about manages to stifle a yawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redneck turns his towards the new guy. Welcome aboard soldier. Keep your head down and you'll do fine. Turning his attention back to the Captain. Sir, what do you have for us? "C" Squad is ready to return to the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew williams
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lenny puts two fingers to his brow in a silent hello and turns his attention back to the officer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew signals with his hands the universal sign for, "I got your back"...or at least that's what he intended.

Ole, Stubbs might think I'm checking him out now...oh, well. Keep him on his toes and that's good for all of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [20] |