Popular Tags: PbF_started_2013 [+] [View All]
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb

New York – 26st march of 1922

Samuel Brown was sitting in his office, life has been good in the last years. He started of as a private investigator in 1918 and business had been booming. It had been booming so much that he had needed to expand his business, so he attracked two partners to join him in his bureau. Through the passing years he had gotten a lot of connections on either side of the law so when he went looking for new partners he had found them in the form of Gabriel ‘Gabe’ Torres a former police investigator who discovered where the real money was to be made. And in the body of Karen Key, a notorious thief that had decided to step out of the life of crime and make an honest living (well for now that is). He had to agree that from time to time there where some difficulties between the two of them since they had served the opposite sides of the law so long. Well that had been 1920 and now it’s the beginning of 1922 and he had to expand some more. He had written an add to find some extra help and two persons had shown up: Jason Dimelt, a young archeologist that was keen in digging stuff up, okay for this job you needed to dig in another kind of dirt but he would do. However Samuel was still wondering why he agreed to take on the second person: Graham Gressek. Not that he doubted the interests and capabilities of the man, he seemed very suited for the job, but how would he explain to people that a baker was now part of his investigative bureau?

Well that had to matter another time since Miss Williams, his secretary had just brought in the post, he had found a letter for him by his old friend: Clarence Mac Dougal. He looked at the stamp and saw that the letter had been stamped in Scotland, even stranger since Mac Dougal was a Boston man. He teared open the envellope and started reading:

Dear Samuel,

I hope this letter finds you well. I apologize in advance for my brevity, but the pain I am suffering moves me to get right to the point.

As you might know, I journeyed to Scotland some months ago to conduct genealogical research on my family. My research went well, then I met with a terrible diaster. At first, I doubted the true horror of my experience, but this time the truth is undeniable. I must ask your help in this matter for I feel that you might well be my only salvation.

At the moment I’m lying in Insh War Memorial hospital. I will of course pay for all off you and your associates expenses.

Sincerely,

Clarence Mac Dougal

After reading the letter again you call together the team…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Boyd
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns to group "I'm not sure what Clarence might have stumbled upon, but his letter makes me uneasy"

Hands letter to Gabe "What do you make of it"

"Miss williams, if all here are in agreement could you book passage for five to Scotland as soon as possible"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Kline
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Graham still didn't understand why he was working for this private investigator, but when the man from the past, the face he hadn't seen in over 20 years, the man to whom he owed his life - when he showed up and asked for old debts to be paid, Graham knew he had no choice. It didn't make sense, and Graham hadn't been able to find any connection between the man and Sam Browne, his new boss. And so here he was, keeping his mouth shut and his eyes open. And now it looks like they would be going to Scotland, of all places.

"Hmm. it isn't often that geneology research results in disaster and hospitalization.

And the part about being his only salvation? What can that mean?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
skry wrote:
Hands letter to Gabe "What do you make of it"

Sounds like a set-up. How well do you know this guy? It'll take a boatload of cash just to get us to Scotland; and he wants to pay our expenses on top of that? Either he's got money to burn and he's looking for somebody to take a fall, or he's nuts. Either way, I don't like the looks of it. I'll go, but don't expect me to keep my mouth shut in front of him. I want to talk to this guy before getting in over my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas D
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My surfing skills everyone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did someone say a boatload of cash! I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Boyd
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I've known Clarence for years he's a good man, unless he is under some sort of duress, which if he is the sooner we should depart"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Kline
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, do we need to bring anything? Will we be able to get weapons there?

I'll tell you what, I'll bring a box of these little anise cookies that my wife really likes.

You'll be glad you have me along once you've tasted Scottish cooking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miss Williams re enters: The boat has been booked sir. The first places available where tommorowmorning. It will take you gentelmen 4 days to ferry to Southhampton, there a train to scotland has been arranged and then you will need to catch a bus to the town of Insh. The whole trip will take you a little less then a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kight
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason: I agree with Graham. Geneology is rarely hazardous to one's health unless a poorly stacked pile of books falls on you. I'm up for travel - let's go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Boyd
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Alright, we don't have a lot of time. Karen, Gabe I need you two to see what you can dig up on the MacDougal ancestry. Jason and Graham I need you to procure whatever supplies you think we'll need. I shall send a letter to Clarence telling him to expect us a week later than our actual arrival, just in case it is intercepted. I will explain to him when we arrive. I know it's short notice, but we'll rest on the voyage."

As Sam looked at the group assembled before him he thought of where else or who else he might be if it wasn't for Clarence MacDougal. A fledgling private eye without two coins to rub together. He had just about given up to retire to a dark alley and a bottle, when he was commissioned by Clarence to recover a well known acquaintances priceless family heirloom. The success of that brought him the attention he needed to be the highest paid P.I. In the region. As those thoughts drifted away a new one entered and with half a smile he thought "A baker"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so you guys are set to ship out, any special things you still want to do before you leave. What equipment are you taking with you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Kline
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Graham kissed his wife and grabbed his satchel and headed toward the docks. He didn't know what to expect in Scotland, so he wanted to be ready for anything. A first aid kit, compass, binoculars, notebook, a few small tools, and a few books on the history and geneology of Scotland - he figured he could make some use of the time on the boat doing some reading.

And, with some reluctance, he tucked a handgun in the bottom of the case.

And of course a large box of anise cookies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas D
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My surfing skills everyone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Karen kissed her only true love, a solid gold statue of Isis' dog, stolen from the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities in Cairo. She grabbed the essentials; a lock pick kit, some climbing gear, a burner cell phone and thousands in cash of various currencies.

With absolutely no reluctance she grabbed her trusty tire iron and recently polished Beretta.

She did not take cookies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
skry wrote:
"Gabe I need you two to see what you can dig up on the MacDougal ancestry"

I'll head to the library. I'm not sure what I can find, but hopefully I can get some idea of what he was working on. I mean, was he looking into his family history just for kicks, or was he looking for details on something specific? Hopefully I can find out.

Gabe leaves for the library, and arrives there a short while later. After doing some research, he goes home to pack and get some sleep before the next day. He brings a notebook, already partially full of his research from the library; clothes for the trip; lock picking equipment; the Colt .38Spl revolver he used during his time in the Police Dept, currently "on loan"; a Colt M1911 accepted as payment from some clients he'd rather not discuss; ammo for both guns; a jumprope, to get the blood flowing; cash; and his smoking kit (tobacco and pouch, papers, lighter and fluid).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please do a library use roll (You know how the geekroller works?)

Click on the Roll button and click on the d100. This will appear in the roll screen and push on the 'add roll' button. A geekroll is now in your post and you can just click submit.

When you get a lower or equal number to your library skill it will succeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Please do a library use roll
1d100 = (21) = 21

Success!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 243540. kellvyn
  • 1d100 =
  • (21) =
  • Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:31 pm
Mike Boyd
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before Sam left the office he told Miss Williams "I will send a letter as soon as i reach Scotland" He then ran his fingers across the handle of his colt M1911 inside his jacket, took his suitcase and left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kellvyn wrote:
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Please do a library use roll
kellvyn previously rolled 1d100 = (21) = 21

Success!

You don't really find that much. You can find that the family moved to america from Scotland. They head up to Boston where the family made their fortune with some different businesses over the years. The first person from the family to arrive in America was Ian MacDougal, you cannot find anything about the family from before the arrivel in America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Kline
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we there yet?

Anyone want a cookie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The journey to England goes well, it's a pleasant sea and you have time to enjoy the scenery and the compagny. Once you arrive in England you hop on the train to scotland. Being abroad for the first time for some off you is a bit of an adjustment but you are loving every moment of it. The green flat countrysides make way for rolling hills that become sharper as you are heading towards the north. In Scotland you can take the bus and at the end of a weeks travel you arrive in the little town of Insh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We need to find the War Memorial Hospital. Let's find someone we can ask for directions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Kline
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's try to get a feel for the townsfolk too - are they nervous or frightened? Wary of strangers?

If we spot any local newspapers for sale, I'll buy one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Boyd
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idea roll 1d100 = (86) = 86
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 246510. skry
  • 1d100 =
  • (86) =
  • Idea roll
  • Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:09 pm
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a small town and you don't need to look to long for the hospital, the locals are quit friendly but your accents does make some heads turn in the town. A local man shows you the way to the hospital.

On the way over there Graham picks up a local newspaper at a little shop. The first thing that becomes clear is that this is not 'The new york Post'. The headline tells you about how some sheep are mysteriously dissappearing and how people discuss what is going on, one of the most mentioned ideas is that there are wolves around. For the rest there is a lot of small news, nothing to special.

After a small walk you arrive at the small hospital.

As you walk in you are greeted at the reception area and when you tell the nurse that you are here for Mc Dougal she shows you the way in. You follow her and she shows you to Mc Dougals room as you enter the room Samual sees his long time friend lying on the bed sleeping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Boyd
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam asks the nurse "Can you tell me what condition he's in and do you know what happened"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [36] |