Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2013 [+] [View All]
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
Snargle heard Cyrus as he arrived and caught his breath.

"Hah, whew. While you've all been taking tea, good ol' Snargle's been scouting the hold (there's a lift at the far end for moving cargo). Any tea left? Crumpet? No? Ah well, I think there's more back aboard our ship!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
{Naomi}

Nodding, Naomi looked around to check for threats.
Pulling her hand free from the wound, she scratched aimlessly at the dried blood on that hand, as she looked at the wound.

Bullets made small holes. And if they didn't hit anything significant, it was really just the ballistic shock that got you; and whatever blood loss you suffered before the wound congealed and sealed.

She grimaced a little, however.

Then, "I agree. I'm not sure we can trust them if they figure out who you really are. Let's get you into the Remnants, then we can work things out from there".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lady Blackbird pursed her lips. There was nothing to worry about, not yet. If Naomi said she'd see her to the Remnants, then she would. It was what came after that concerned her. There was a set in the other woman's eyes, one she couldn't quite read, one she had not seen in a long time. She sat down, cross legged, nodding at the flecks of blood on Naomi's fingers.

Remember when I bought your pit-debt from Salvadore the Fat, after that bout against, what was his name? The giant with the hammer. Ugly brute he was. You were cut to ribbons, bleeding like a stuck pig and you just shrugged as though it was nothing, staring me down. Do you know why I did it? Why I released you? I could have had any bodyguard I chose, my pick of the best the Imperial Military had to offer. Do you know why I chose you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
{Cyrus}

"I don't think I'll ever understand you, Snargle. Who's ever heard of a goblin that enjoys tea, crumpets, and the company of humans? What happened to develop your aversion to violence and lead you to leave your kin all those years ago?"

(OOC: I knew it was a joke but I lack the Key of Sarcasm =p)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Captain Cyrus Vance, original Straight Man and completely immune to sarcasm. Humans! I coulda had The Owl refueled by now.'

"Uh, really, I honestly appreciate your interest in my life's story, Captain, but aren't we just a little pressed for time? You know, being aboard an Imperial warship, swarming with Imperials. I'll tell you all about it over a cuppa, IF WE LIVE THROUGH THIS."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
{Cyrus}

"We've only been talking for a minute, but you're right. Shall we continue? The lift you saw at the end of the bay will likely be our best route out of here. Let's get moving, and keep an eye out for any parts that may prove useful to The Owl."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
{Naomi}
thecameronin wrote:
Remember when I bought your pit-debt from Salvadore the Fat ... Do you know why I chose you?
Naomi stopped and looked at the Lady as she sat, and asked Naomi this.
Her Lady's question confused Naomi. And that hesitation probably showed on the bodyguards face.
"No" she stammered.

In the years since that day, the two had become ... friends (of a sort). But they had never discussed that day, nor these matters.
Naomi had, to be sure, wondered occasionally. And several vague idea's had formed. But it was not her place to ask such things. And the fact was, this Lady had bought Naomi into a better life; a better life without the added certainty of a bloody and painful death.
And so gratitude, and her place, had held her tongue.

"Why?"
Naomi wasn't sure that this was the right place and time to have this discussion. But if this was her Lady's choice of place and time, then so be it.

The pain had vanished, in this moment of confusion and anticipation. And Naomi could feel her heart beating fast, up into her throat. She wasn't exactly sure that she wanted to hear this answer ... and maybe that had been another reason why she'd never asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lady Blackbird paused, her expression unreadable.

The Pits seemed so familiar that day. Not living but dead, constricting, suffocating, so like the ties that bound me. Privilege and slavery, not a one would choose the latter and they are not the same, certainly not the same, but I saw so much of myself in you. Trapped, angry, wilting. I thought that if I saved you... that... if you could be free then maybe there was hope for me as well.

She smiled, thinly and without humour.

Just in case... well, you know. I wanted you to know so that you don't feel you owe me... We should be going, I think the Goblin is back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools

Naomi looked down at the Lady sitting.

She didn't speak: wasn't sure what to say. It wasn't the answer Naomi had expected. And Naomi wasn't sure how it sat with her; what it meant to her, or how it made her feel.

She studied Natasha's face for a moment, searching her eyes.

Did Natasha know how Naomi had felt at that hour, so long ago now?
"I wanted to kill you" she said; then realized that she had said this out loud.
As her heart stopped in her chest at that indiscretion, she looked away quickly.

Then, turning back, said, "I am glad that I didn't ... Couldn't". It was a hasty continuation, and attempt to rectify her insult. But it was true, none-the-less.

Naomi didn't want to talk about this any longer. Not here, not now. So:
"Yes, we need to be moving" she stated, holding out her blood encrusted hand to help her Lady up from the ground.

She herself wondered if offering the stained hand was some kind of subconscious statement itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
The banging on the door which, after your fake report, had died down suddenly renewed itself with vigor.

Glancing over that way you detect a slight gap opening in the middle and what looks like the end of a crow-bar sticking out between the doors. It won't be long before access is gained.

And as for the other ways into this area...well....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The thought of it still picked at the edges of her conscious mind. All she wanted to do was give in. One quick burst of magic to charge the door, run the current through the crowbar and the Imperials would be nothing but dust dancing in the air. 'Give in', the voice whispered, 'it need only be this once. You can feel that rush again, feel that power'. Except it wouldn't be just once, not if the last time was anything to go by. The magic would come when called, it was in her blood, but the need might come with it, the need that had nearly consumed her.

Then there was the matter of her identity. Use magic and everyone would know who she was. Lady Blackbird, the one and only. The Imperials, her Companions, there would be no hiding it, she was too famous. How long would Naomi and her last then? Choose your moment, she thought to herself, remembering Sibelius' Maxims. This was not her moment. Not yet. Instead Lady Blackbird took a deep breath and pointed away from the door.

Oh deary me, they seem to be breaking in. Far be it for me to offer you fine military types advice, but I believe we need to be elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools

Naomi grabbed Natasha's upper arm. "Lets go, then" she said, and began running the two deeper into the storeroom aisles; in the direction that they needed to go.

She damned well hoped that the boys kept up, because she couldn't fly that damned ship herself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Caffrey
Ireland
Meath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kale

The Imperials were almost through the doors. Kale realised that the time for talking was done. He hurried towards the exit. As he reached it, he noticed a pipe that was sitting beside a box full of ball bearings. "Cap'n, can you throw me that can of compressed air? If it's not empty then I can set up a surprise for our friends back there."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
{Cyrus}

I look in the direction Kale indicates and spot the can. Picking it up, I can tell it is mostly full. This must be part of the backup supply for one of the many pneumatic devices on the Hand of Sorrow.

"Here you go," throwing the can to Kale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lady Blackbird offers no resistance and allows herself to be guided deeper into the aisles. Better duck she whispers softly to Naomi. I think they intend to construct a bomb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
{Naomi}

Leading Natasha past Kale and Cyrus, Naomi made sure that the way ahead was clear of adversaries before encouraging Natasha to join her.

Then, anxious, she waited for the Captain and his tech to do what they wished, for Naomi still didn't know where the Owl was, or how to get there.

She remained very vigilant, though, for threats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC note: Because Snargle mentioned the lift, but no other exits I will write it as though it's the lift you are next to.

Naomi and Natasha move next to the lift. Being designed to carry large vehicles between levels it is pretty darn big. There are other exits from this warehouse bay but they all involve doors.

The lift is hydrolic and has three simple buttons, one marked with an "UP" arrow, one marked with a "DOWN" arrow, and a red pull-knob which presumably is an alarm call.

Kale is working just outside of the yellow warning box that surrounds the lift, with Cyrus standing by. Snargle has slipped out of sight once more for some reason.

Questions

ALL:You are next to the lift, but are there any other exits here too? If there are will you be using that exit or the lift?

If using the lift: Do you need to go up or down? What is likely to be on the next floor? Do these buttons mean you can progress the lift a fraction at a time or is it like a office lift - one push, each floor?

Snargle: You're trying to be smart and funny, but for some reason the Captain and others just are not feeling it. Are you losing your touch? Where did you disappear off to this time?

Kale: How likely are the Imperials to run into this trap? Will you have to wait till they get near you to deploy it, or do you have another trick up your sleeve?

Cyrus: Leadership is being shared around at the moment. Do you feel the need to reassert your authority?

Naomi: Quite the revelation there. Have your positions swapped? You do seem to be leading Natasha....

Natasha: You're being led..have your power roles swapped? Do you need to re-assert your leadership over Naomi in any way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Caffrey
Ireland
Meath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kale

Kale caught the can and pulled the string he had intended to use as a garrote from his belt. "This should make a handy tripwire."

Alive + Mechanic + Spare Parts + Sabotage + 3 Pool; 7custom2{0;1} = (0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1) = 6

He fixed the can of compressed air to the pipe and then filled the pipe with ball bearings. He hastily tied the string to the air can and stretched it across the aisle. "And now for the final touch" He pulled a crate into the aisle so that the Imperials would be forced into the small gap where the make-shift weapon would do the most damage. "Now I'm not saying that's a masterpiece, but lets be honest; it's a masterpiece." He hurried to join the others in the lift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 288924. Legandir
  • 7custom2{0;1} =
  • (0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1) =
  • Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:35 pm
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
{Naomi}

Having ushered Natasha onto the lift, Naomi waited by the control panel. She could see two other exits from here; one single door, one double door. The latter looked to be magnetically lockable, but the single didn't.

She had no idea where they might go, or even if they needed to travel between floors ... but had a vague recollection of Cyrus commenting earlier that they'd need to 'run' up a few levels to get to the Owl.

"Come on" she hissed at Cyrus and Kale, who seemed to be patting themselves on the back for some crazy toy they'd just thrown together.

She had no idea where the Gobbo had gone, but wasn't thrilled about having to wait for his shape-changing ass if he'd gone looking for a mate or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
ALL:You are next to the lift, but are there any other exits here too? If there are will you be using that exit or the lift?
If using the lift: Do you need to go up or down? What is likely to be on the next floor? Do these buttons mean you can progress the lift a fraction at a time or is it like a office lift - one push, each floor?

Cyrus: Leadership is being shared around at the moment. Do you feel the need to reassert your authority?
(OOC: having already narrated we're in the lowermost level, I'd say up would be the best bet.)

"Hold on everyone. This lift is too obvious an exit, and too risky. They already know our position and lift leaves us with no possible escape should they be waiting for us in the ship's launch bay above. If my memory serves correctly, there should be a staircase behind that door over there that will take us up where we need to be, but with the added benefit of additional exits from the stairway that the lift can't offer."

"Kale, give me something to jam the UP button so that we can send this lift up without us. I know you always have something up your sleeve."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford wrote:
Natasha: You're being led..have your power roles swapped? Do you need to re-assert your leadership over Naomi in any way?

She knew what her Mother would say, she could see the shake of the immaculately coiffured head, the disapproving scowl tugging at the corners of her noble mouth. 'A Lady never allows herself to be led by one not of the blood'. Lady Blackbird would have followed that advice too, a few short years ago. But so much had changed since then, so very much. What use was a Bodyguard whose advice you didn't follow?

'Then what use is magic if you don't use it?' the voice said, smooth as silk and sweet as honey. Lady Blackbird swallowed and tried to ignore it.

What a clever plan, I agree. Let's make for the stairs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Caffrey
Ireland
Meath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kale

Kale produced a fork seemingly from thin air. "Apollo didn't seem like he needed it anymore so I borrowed this. He tossed the fork to the Cap'n.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
{Naomi}

Nodding to Natasha, as though acknowledging a command, Naomi lead the way to the nearby single door that she had seen; which Cyrus seemed to believe would reveal stairs within.

When Natasha and the boys were close, Naomi opened the door quickly to see what (or who) was inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galley_slave wrote:
{Naomi}

She had no idea where the Gobbo had gone, but wasn't thrilled about having to wait for his shape-changing ass if he'd gone looking for a mate or something.
Snargle's keen ears picked up what the fighter had muttered, not realizing she'd voiced her thoughts. 'She's given me a pet name, noticed my ass, and is worried about competition... no denying it; she fancies me!'

The goblin appraised Naomi in a new light. 'Built like an Amazon; a whole lotta woman! She may be the death of me... but they don't call me Daredevil for nothing!'

In a loud whisper meant only for Naomi, Snargle crooned, "No worries, luv. Your Gobbo won't leave you." He gave her an unmistakably roguish wink (accompanied by a pinch to her keelside), then quickly dodged out of reach. 'Daredevil, yes; but no idiot!'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MichMedia wrote:
Snargle's keen ears picked up what the fighter had muttered, not realizing she'd voiced her thoughts. 'She's given me a pet name, noticed my ass, and is worried about competition... no denying it; she fancies me!'
(OOC: Key of Banter hit!) laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [12] |