flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

Scene Setting

All:

What's behind the door? Or more importantly, WHO is behind the door? A corridor or guard room? Canteen? How full?

How far away is this party? Can it be heard from here? How unusual is it for an Imperial ship to have a large-scale party that decimates the usual running and staffing of a ship this size?

Cyrus: Naomi's little outburst about the pits had what reaction on you? And who do you now think Natasha may be?

Kale: A pit fighter eh? Maybe you'd try your luck at an arm-wrestle sometime....? Are you in uniform yet?

Snargle: Will witty banter help you if you have any guards to over-come? Distraction techniques..?

Natasha: Come clean now about who you are, or wait a bit longer?

Naomi: How's that temper doing my dear? Ready to re-direct it against some Imperials?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
Naomi stepped over to the inside wall near the door, and listened intently.

~~ Bodyguard, awareness, Threats 4custom2{0;1} = (1 + 1 + 0 + 1) = 3

Having been Natasha's Bodyguard for so long, Naomi had developed a certain sense of Awareness to her surroundings, especially for Threats.

And right now, she could sense threat alright. Two voices, maybe three. Not alarmed by the door opening; they undoubtedly thought the guy on duty inside here had opened it somehow.

They seemed to be chatting casually; yes, playing cards, from the 'Ah, I'll take two, they can't be any worse than I've got now'.
And sitting, she had heard the scrape of a chair.

And all this, just down a very small corridor.

With a fast play of their own, she and the boys just might win this hand.

"Three, poker, short run to the doors right. Let's go" she whispered, then counted down from three.

Unless stopped, she'd move on '1'.
Her temper was running hot, and she looked forward to visiting it upon more Imps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 250671. galley_slave
  • 4custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 1 + 0 + 1) =
  • Bodyguard, awareness, Threats
  • Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:29 pm
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
From the door leads a short piece of corridor, only 4 or 5 walking paces long which then turns sharply to the right for an unknown distance. The sound of the poker game and at least three voices drifts to you all from the room that is obviously there.

Naomi has no idea what lays beyond her immediate sight, however the others were marched through here earlier and know the room to be a small hexagonal guard room. The exit is directly opposite their own, with a large table breaking the path.

Along one of the wall segments is a basic kitchen affair - boiling water dispenser box on the wall and a re-heating and re-hydrating device for the Imperial ration packs. Mugs hang from hooks above the sink.

Opposite this is a another corridor that leads to....somewhere else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
{playing Naomi}

"Three ..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Caffrey
Ireland
Meath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kale

Kale finished buttoning up the guard uniform and whispered to Naomi "Can you fight as well in the dark as you can in light?" He prepared a darkness spell that he hoped would tip the odds in their favour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Cyrus: Naomi's little outburst about the pits had what reaction on you? And who do you now think Natasha may be?
'There's only two ways out of the Slave Arena, and death clearly wasn't her escape. That means she must have been sold. Once a slave, always a slave. A fighter like her would cost a pretty penny. Only the nobles of Ilysium could afford a bodyguard with such skill. But what would a noble of Ilysium be doing travelling to The Remnants?

"Hold, Naomi. Best we do this together if we want to succeed. These guards are lazy enough to be disobeying orders, playing cards instead of standing guard. They likely don't even have their gear in easy reach. Many a night I dropped my pistol and transponder at my feet before sitting down at the card table. And look, mugs are missing from the rack. Surely there's a bottle of spirits on the table too."

"Why don't we try a little ruse instead? You forget I'm an ex-Imperial soldier so soon? I'm already in uniform, true it doesn't represent the attire of my formal rank, but it should do well enough to catch a few soldiers off guard when they hear a commander's voice. I'll just walk on up and order them to attention. Drinks will spill, cards will fly, but most importantly, the recruits will be left standing weaponless with no way to sound the alarm."

"Once they're up, we hold them at gun point and back them into our cells. Worse case, if it doesn't work, we'll just shoot them. What do you say?"

(OOC: what would the difficulty be for a die roll to call 3 drunk and unsuspecting soldiers to attention?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
"So, Cap gets 'em up, then Kale dims the lights and we thump 'em! (Not too hard, mind you...)"

A honeyed tongue wouldn't be as much use here, but Snargle's nightvision, teeth, and claws and other goblin traits should help to distract any stragglers. He shrank down to knee-height and darkened his skintone in preparation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
{playing Naomi}

Ready to move, Naomi stopped and listen to the captain.
She could imagine that anyone would believe the ruse: in unknown person, in low ranking uniform, coming out of the cells, where only a comrade had been?!?

But then, she'd heard that soldiers were conditioned to respond to that kind of treatment and voice; so maybe Cyrus could pull it off.

And as a gladiator, she knew ANY edge, any advantage in a fight, was worth having.

So she nodded to Cyrus: she would play this one his way.

Turning to Kale, with a suspicious look out of the corner of her eye at the freak-assed gobbo, and replied, "No worse then them", pointing through the wall at the unseen guardsmen.

She'd been forced to fight blind in the arena, either deliberately or by circumstance, and was too intimidated by the idea.

When Cyrus made his play, though, Naomi intended to be right around the corner behind him ... where she could move on the guardsmen with alacrity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolls
Cyrus's command to attention will be at a 3 purely for the surprise aspect. As Naomi so cleverly pointed out - a command from the wrong direction would normally cause suspicion (and still may on only a slight success - the better the roll the more convincing)

Kale successfully letting off a dark spell will be a 3 if he does it while static and calm, or a 4 if he does it on the move and while not calm.

Naomi playing ten-pin bowling in the light is a 4 due to distance and apparent space between Imperials; a 5 if in the dark/dimmed light (Kale can chose how dark it goes)

Using guns (as mentioned above) in the light instead of power-housing them is a 3, but if it's dark then it's a 4 due to Imperials possibly dodging ducking and weaving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snargle hoped they could subdue the guards without shooting them, which meant Naomi especially would have to be successful.

"Little tip for seein' in the dark," he said to her, "shut your eyes for a moment before going from light into dark an' they'll adjust quicker."

OOC: would heeding my advice take Naomi's darkness fighting check back down to a 4? And does my concern, taken together with my previous care for the first guard qualify for my Key of Conscience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
MichMedia wrote:
OOC: would heeding my advice take Naomi's darkness fighting check back down to a 4? And does my concern, taken together with my previous care for the first guard qualify for my Key of Conscience?

No, it wouldn't take it down to a 4, however if you are willing to part with a pool Dice you can *help* Naomi by giving that pool dice to her and thus providing her more chance to hit the 5.

And yes, you hit the Key
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
MichMedia wrote:

No, it wouldn't take it down to a 4, however if you are willing to part with a pool Dice you can *help* Naomi by giving that pool dice to her and thus providing her more chance to hit the 5.

And yes, you hit the Key
Cool, thanks. cool And okay, I'll give her a pool die. (I get them back on the refresh, yes?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup! And don't forget if it's something YOU are doing you can use em all and get em all back straight away once per session (again, you can chose to drop that usage off at a refresh). I won't mark this pool dice off until (and IF) it is used.

Naomi: Should Kale drop a dark spell, and you go all Goliath on the Imperials you can use Snargle's +1 pool dice to hit (difficulty 5 in dark)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
{Cyrus}

As I approach the turn in the coridoor, the edge of the card table comes into view. An empty bottle of whiskey is visible, overturned and abandoned. I can see a utility belt lying on the ground, the transponder far enough out of reach to give us a few moments pause should I fail to confuse the guards.

I turn to Naomi, Kale, and Snargle. Each one nods they are ready.

I think back to my time as a commander in the Imperial Navy, drawing on the skills from my past rank as I prepare to order the soldiers to attention.

I'm alive + Ex-Imperial Soldier: Commander, Rank, Soldiers, 1 Pool: 6custom2{0;1} = (0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0) = 1

"Commander on dec--." Something catches in my throat, causing me to cough. "Shit," I mutter, "so much for that."

I turn to Kale. "You're up," I say, drawing the pistol from my belt and stepping around the corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 253146. wizcreations
  • 6custom2{0;1} =
  • (0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0) =
  • Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:56 pm
Stephen Caffrey
Ireland
Meath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kale

When Kale heard the Cap'n get tongue-tied, he immediately started quietly chanting the secret words necessary to shroud the room in darkness.

Burglar + Quiet + Darkness + Petty Magic + Dark Spell + 1 Pool: 6custom2{0;1} = (1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1) = 3

The room plunged into sudden darkness and Kale whispered emphatically to the other members of their group "Go go go"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 253559. Legandir
  • 6custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1) =
  • Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:56 pm
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
{playing Naomi}

In that moment, as Cyrus stumbled over his own tongue, Naomi closed her eyes. Her anger at him welled; but she took a deep breath, calming herself and channelling that rage where it needed to go ... keeping it hot for the Imperials just around the corner.

Then, Kale was chanting, and Naomi knew the moment was at hand.
Whether or not Kale could at least get his part right, Naomi was about to move. She felt the muscles throughout her form tighten and bunch ...

And then Kale was saying 'go' ... and she did.

Rounding the corner like a starving cheetah, Naomi opened her eyes into the darkness, drinking in what images she could, and lept fist first towards the Imps about the table.

Pit Fighter, Combat tested, Brutal, Living Weapon, Fast, Hard, +1 Snargles Pool, +2 Pool 10custom2{0;1} = (1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 1) = 6

And the Guardsmans she hit learned well the old adage of 'a woman scorned'; for Naomi's fist caught him full in the side of the head, breaking his neck instantly and sending the corpse, like a message to her enemy, flying across the room.

With a snarl, she turned to look for her next victim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 253569. galley_slave
  • 10custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 1) =
  • Pit Fighter, Combat tested, Brutal, Living Weapon, Fast, Hard, +1 Snargles Pool, +2 Pool
  • Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:40 pm
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of the three men sitting at the table are laughing quietly at the third. He had been on the whisky and now his hand of cards lay face up on the table where he had spilt them.

"Come on Starbuck, you've had enough - you can't even hold your cards!"

Then, from the corridor that leads to the cells came the faltering call that normally announced a ranking officer arriving. The two sober guards were instantly alert and on the move.

As the room went dark one of them had slid off his chair to kneel on the floor behind the table and draw his gun. He now pointed it towards where only Adama should have been. The other stood up without making a sound and headed for the door opposite the kitchen area. He was half way to it when the light disappeared. "Damn! What's happening Apollo?"

Apollo didn't answer. He was no fool and wouldn't give his position away.

Starbuck was still trying to work out why the lights had gone out and was sitting half-slumped on his chair and the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Naomi charged into the room, but Apollo was too slow pulling his trigger, the gun blast hit the wall behind where she had been half a second before.

Naomi slammed into Starbuck and he died instantly. Her momentum took her past the table towards the opposite exit.

Luckily for her she had the element of surprise, and had heard the gun shot. Naomi spins back to face the table.

Naomi - you will not have seen where the Imperial who is heading for the side-door is as you were concentrated on the one by the table. I leave it up to you as to whether you can see the guy crouched down who is even now turning to face and shoot at you.

The Imperial who was heading for the door gropes his way forward and in a few seconds will reach the entrance to the side corridor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
Bifford wrote:
Naomi - you will not have seen where the Imperial who is heading for the side-door is as you were concentrated on the one by the table. I leave it up to you as to whether you can see the guy crouched down who is even now turning to face and shoot at you.
How dark is it in the room now?
Pitch? Or more like fighting in a dark alleyway (or in the dark cells of the Pits)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Kale wrote:
"The room plunged into sudden darkness ...."

It is up to Kale how dark it is, however it's going to be either pitch-black or somewhere near it judging from his wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
{Cyrus}

I can almost feel the anger pulsing through Naomi, but I'm certain she will focus that energy against our foes. Stepping around the corner, I see two of the guards immediately jump to action. Apparently they weren't as drunk as I expected. I take aim as I watch one of the guards crouch beneath the table, presumable to pick up his pistol. He reappears just as the room goes dark.

I dodge to the other wall. A flash blinds me as the crouched guard fires a shot, barely missing Naomi. I notice in the brief light the third guard heading toward the kitchen area. I call out a warning to the others hoping one of them will pursue the other guard as I take aim toward where the crouched guard had been. His focus seemed to be on Naomi, so with any luck he will not have moved.

Alive + Warrior: Battle-Hardened, Shooting, Pistol + 2 Pool = 7custom2{0;1} = (0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 1) = 3

I fire, but but the shot hits the table near the crouched guard. "At least I was able to buy Naomi some time," I think as I drop to the floor to pick up one of the abandoned pistols once Kale's dark spell fades away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 253772. wizcreations
  • 7custom2{0;1} =
  • (0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 1) =
  • Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:30 pm
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Kale wrote:
"The room plunged into sudden darkness ...."

It is up to Kale how dark it is, however it's going to be either pitch-black or somewhere near it judging from his wording.
OOC: And how long does the darkness last? Is it like a smoke bomb, briefly obscuring things? (If sustained, I'd think he'd have to channel it or something.) I'm picturing an effect similar to the Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder from Harry Potter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ballast and boiler plates," Snargle spat as he watched their plan derail.

Alive + Goblin + Nightvision + Agile + Quick + Tumbler + Teeth & Claws + 4 Pool = 11custom2{0;1} = (0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0) = 3

Snargle heard the Captain's shout and followed his gaze to the guard moving toward the exit, no doubt intent on raising the alarm. Quick as a wink he wove through the darkened room and clamped onto the legs of the moving guard, latching on with his claws and biting furiously. A part of his mind reflected that maybe they were a little rusty at this sort of thing.

OOC: I'm hoping/assuming I succeeded; if so I'll use my Secret of the Lucky Break...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 253838. MichMedia
  • 11custom2{0;1} =
  • (0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0) =
  • Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:59 pm
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Kale, Cyrus and Snargle all knew that the darkness Kale could summon would last a good twenty seconds or so, starting to get lighter after about half that time. Naomi and Natasha didn't know this of course.

Cyrus's shot at the Imperial crouched behind the table missed its mark but hit the metal table leg directly beside his head causing a loud metallic noise that startled Apollo, causing him to flinch and take his eye off where he thought Naomi had been the second before the darkness swallowed everything.

Across the room opposite the kitchen area and towards the door Snargle, with his perfect night vision, had no problems seeing the last Imperial and sinking his teeth into soft pulpy flesh. The guard screamed with agony and waved his arms down towards his thighs in a vain attempt to dislodge what he couldn't see.

From somewhere down the corridor that he had been heading for came the sound of swearing and scraping chairs and the distinct sound of energy guns charging. A second later boots could be heard pounding along the floor.

Cyrus will estimate company in T-minus 20 seconds - just after Kale's darkness spell fully wears off.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Rogers
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
[Natasha Syri]

OOC: hey GM, can I take an XP (or two) for Key of Impostor for the previous scene?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] |