Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Blackbird (AKA Natasha Syri)

An Imperial noble, in disguise, escaping an arranged marriage so she can be with her lover.

Traits:

Imperial Noble
Etiquette, Dance, Educated, History, Science, Wealth, Connections, House Blackbird

Master Sorcerer
Spellcaster, Channeling, Stormblood, Wind, Lightning [Fly], [Blast], [Sense]

Athletic
Run, Fencing, Rapier, Duels, Shooting, [Pistol], [Acrobatics]

Charm
Charisma, Presence, Command, Nobles, Servants, [Soldiers]

Cunning
Deception, Misdirection, Disguise, Codes, [Sneak], [Hide]

Keys:

Key of the Paragon
As a noble, you're a cut above the common man.
Hit your key when you demonstrate your superiority or when your noble traits overcome a problem.
BUYOFF: Disown your noble heritage.

Key of the Mission
You must escape the Empire and rendezvous with your once secret lover, the Pirate King Uriah Flint, whom you havn't seen in six years.
Hit your key when you take action to complete the mission.
BUYOFF: Give up on your mission.

Key of the Imposter

Key of the Best Friend
You have a best friend from when you were in diapers. You’d help him hide bodies.
Hit your key whenever your friendship is important in a scene.
BUYOFF: Put someone or something else first.

Secrets:

Secret of Stormblood
As long as you can speak, you can channel magical power and do Sorcery. You have the Master Sorcerer trait and the Stormblood tag.

Secret of Inner Focus
Once per session, you can re-roll a failure when doing Sorcery.

---------------------------------------------------------

Conditions: Trapped
Keys hit: Paragon; Imposter, Mission, Imposter; Paragon; Mission; Paragon; Friend; Mission; Paragon; Mission {Edit 12.07}
Secrets used: {none}
Dice pool: [7] 4 (Used: 3)
Traits acquired: {None}
Tags acquired: {None}
Keys bought off: Imposter
New secrets: {None}
New keys: Best Friend
XP: 11 + 1 upgrades {Edit 12.07}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Naomi Bishop

Former pit-fighter and bodyguard to Lady Blackbird.

The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools

Traits:

Pit-Fighter
Combat Tested, Brutal, Living Weapon, Fast, Hard, Strong, [Bone-Breaking], [Scary Look]

Bodyguard
Awareness, Threats, Defend, Disarm, restrain, Carry, Delay, First Aid, [Security]

Ex-Slave
Sneak, Hide, Run, Tough, Endure, Scrounge, Nobles, [Hatred], [Iron Will]

Keen
Insightful, Aware, Coiled, Liars, Traps, [Danger], [Sense Motives]

Keys:

Key of the Guardian
You are Lady Blackbird's loyal defender.
Hit your key when you make a decision influenced by Lady Blackbird or protect her from harm.
BUYOFF: Sever your relationship with the Lady.

Key of Vengeance
The Empire enslaved you and made you kill for sport. You will have your revenge on them and watch their cities burn.
Hit your key when you strike a blow against the Empire (especially by killing an Imperial).
BUYOFF: Forgive them for what they did to you.

Key of the Warrior

Key of the Mission
You must safely deliver Lady Blackbird to the Pirate King, Uriah Flint, so she can marry him.
BUYOFF: Give up the mission.

Secrets:

Secret of Destruction
You can break things with your bare hands as if you were swinging a sledgehammer. It's scary.

Secret of the Bodyguard
Once per session, you can re-roll a failure when protecting someone.

The Secret of Experience
Once per session,you can use tags from more than one trait when you make a roll.
REQUIRES: Experience in a wide variety of dangerous situations

Conditions: Trapped; INJURED
Keys Hit: Mission; Mission {Edit 12/06}
Secrets used: {none}
Dice pool: [9?] 9 (Used: 0)
Tags acquired: Strong (Pit Fighter); First Aid (Bodyguard)
Keys bought off: Warrior
New secrets: Experience
New keys: Key of the Mission
XP: 2 {Edit 12/06}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyrus Vance

An ex-Imperial soldier turned smuggler and soldier-of-fortune, Captain of the Owl.

Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Traits:

Ex-Imperial Soldier
Tactics, Command, Soldiers, Rank, Connections, Maps, Imperial War Ships

Smuggler
Haggle, Deception, Sneak, hide, Camouflage, forgery, Pilot, Navigation, [Repair], [Gunnery]

Survivor
Tough, Run, Scrounge, Endure, Creepy Stare, Intimidate, [Medic]

Warrior
Battle-Hardened, Shooting, Two-Gun Style, Pistol, Fencing, Sword, [Brawl], [Hail of Lead]

Keys:

Key of the Commander
You are accustomed to giving orders and having them obeyed.
Hit your key when you come up with a plan and give orders to make it happen.
BUYOFF: Acknowledge someone else as the leader.

Key of Hidden Longing
You are completely enthralled by Lady Blackbird, but you don't want her to know it.
Hit your key when you make a decision based on this secret affection or when you somehow show it indirectly.
BUYOFF: Give up on your secret desire or make it public.

Key of the Outcast
You got exiled from the Empire.
Hit your key when your outcast status causes you trouble or is important in a scene.
BUYOFF: regain your former standing or join a new group.

The Key of the Deal
You love making deals and getting things just right.
Hit your key whenever you bargain, exchange favors, or strike a deal.
BUYOFF: Pass up a good deal.

Secrets:

Secret of Leadership
Once per session, you can give someone else a chance to re-roll a failed roll, by giving them orders, advice, or setting a good example.

Secret of Warpblood
Once per session, you can teleport yourself or someone you're touching.

Keys hit: Outcast ; Leadership; Commander; Leadership; Longing; Longing; Outcast; Deal {Edit 15/05}
Secrets used:
Dice pool: [7] 7 (Used: 0) {Edit 15/05}
Keys bought off: {None}
New keys: Deal
XP: 8 {Edit 15/05}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Kale Arkam

A burglar and petty sorcerer, first mate and mechanic of The Owl.

Stephen Caffrey
Ireland
Meath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Traits:

Burglar
Quiet, Sneak, Hide, Dexterous, Locks, Perceptive, Traps, Darkness, [Alarms], [Distractions]

Tricky
Quick, Dirty Fighting, tumbler, Escape, Contortionist, [Sleight of Hand], [Acrobatics], [Dagger]

Petty magic (use one spell tag at a time)
Light spell, Dark spell, Jump spell, Shatter spell, [Channeling], [Spellcaster]

Mechanic
Repair, Engines, Efficiency, Spare parts, Sabotage, [Enhancements], [Ship Weapons]

Keys:

Key of Greed
You like the shiny things.
Hit your key when you steal something cool or score a big payoff.
BUYOFF: Swear off stealing forever.

Key of the Mission
You must safely deliver Lady Blackbird to the Pirate King, Uriah Flint, so she can marry him.
BUYOFF: Give up the mission.

Key of Fraternity
You are sworn to Captain Vance in a bond of brotherhood.
hit your key when your character is influenced by Vance or when you show how deep your bond is.
BUYOFF: Sever the relationship.

Secrets:

Secret of Concealment
No matter how thoroughly you're searched, you always have a few key items with you.
You can produce any common, simple item at a moments notice.

Secret of Reflexes
Once per session, you can re-roll a failure when doing anything involving grace, dexterity, or quick reflexes.

Keys hit: Greed; Mission; Greed; Mission; Mission
Secrets used: {None}
Dice pool: [7] 7 (Used: 0)
New keys: {None}
XP: 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Snargle

A goblin sky-sailor and pilot of The Owl.

Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb

Traits:

Pilot
Daring, Steady, Manoeuvring, Evasion, Tricky flying,Navigation, Maps, Atmospherics, The Owl, [Battle], [Ramming]

Sky Sailor
Gunnery, Aim, Maintenance, Observation, Signals, Empire, Pirates, Free Worlds, Haven, [Repair], [Connections]

Goblin
Warp shape, Glide, Nightvision, Agile, Quick, Tumbler, Teeth & Claws, [Mimic Shape], [Reckless], [Connections]

Sly
Crafty, Sneaky, Distractions, Bluff, Languages, Trade Speak, Sharp, [Disguise]

Keys:

Key of the Daredevil
You thrive in dangerous situations.
Hit your key when you do something cool that is risky or reckless (especially piloting stunts).
BUYOFF: Be very very careful.

Key of Conscience
You don't like to see anyone suffer, even enemies.
Hit your key when you help someone who is in trouble or when you change someone's life for the better.
BUYOFF: Ignore a request for help.

Key of Banter
You have a knack for snappy comments.
Hit your key when Snargle says something that makes the other players laugh or when you explain something using your pilot techno jargon.
BUYOFF: Everyone groans at one of your comments.

Secrets:

Secret of Shape Warping
As a goblin, you can change your shape, growing shorter, taller, fatter, thinner, or changing your skin colour, at will.

Secret of the Lucky Break
Once per session, you can keep your pool dice when you succeed (so go ahead and use 'em all).

Keys hit: Banter; Conscience; Daredevil {Edit 17/07}
Dice pool: [10] 0 (Used: 10) {Edit 17/07}
Secret Used: Lucky Break {Edit 12/07}
Tags acquired: The Owl (Pilot) ; Sharp (Sly)
New keys: {None}
XP: 3 {Edit 17/07}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
The Owl

Conditions: {none}
Modifications: {None}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Blackbird is on the run from an arranged marriage to Count Carlowe. She hired a smuggler skyship, The Owl, to take her from her palace on the Imperial world of Ilysium to the far reaches of the Remnants, so she could be with her once secret lover, the pirate king Uriah Flint.

However, just before reaching the halfway point of Haven, The Owl was pursued and captured by the Imperial cruiser Hand of Sorrow, under charges of flying a false flag.

Even now Lady Blackbird, her bodyguard, and the crew of The Owl are detained in the brig, while the commander of the cruiser, Captain Hollas, runs the smuggler ship’s registry over the wireless. It’s only a matter of time before they discover the outstanding warrants and learn that The Owl is owned by none other than the infamous outcast Cyrus Vance.

How will Lady Blackbird and the others escape the hand of sorrow?
What dangers lie in their path?
Will they be able to find the secret lair of the pirate king? If they do, will Uriah Flint accept Lady Blackbird as his bride?
By the time they get there, will she want him to?

Questions to start us off:

Lady Blackbird: Who is Natasha Syri? What do the others know?(Naomi give us the details on her relationship with you) What do you think your place in this group currently is?

Naomi Bishop: How do you feel about letting your ladyship get kidnapped by the Imperials? How do you know Natasha and come to work for her? Do you know she is Lady Blackbird? Did you serve her before she ran from her arranged marriage or did you find each other later? (your full back story isn't needed, just let us know if you are in on her disguise or if you are fooled by it too)

Cyrus Vance: What will they find when they run your ship's registry through the wireless? Have you seen any imperials you recognize here or who might recognise you? How do you feel about your ship being caught? What's your impression of the lady who hired you and her 'friend'?

Kale Arkam: You always have a few small items with you. Do you have anything concealed at the moment that might prove useful (requires using your secret of concealment)? Did you notice anything when you were taken from the Owl to your current holding cell? Is there anything on this ship you'd love to get your hands on?

Snargle: Do you look like yourself right now? What size and shape have you adopted and have the guards seen you in any other shape as of yet?

Everyone on a first come, first served basis (just one of these per person though):

Are you all in a single cell or multiple ones?
What does your cell look like? Are you shackled?
Have you encountered Captain Hollas before?
Is your cell guarded? By how many guards?

Everyone:

What will you do next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
Quote:
Naomi Bishop: How do you feel about letting your ladyship get kidnapped by the Imperials? How do you know Natasha and come to work for her? Do you know she is Lady Blackbird? Did you serve her before she ran from her arranged marriage or did you find each other later? (your full back story isn't needed, just let us know if you are in on her disguise or if you are fooled by it too)

Everyone on a first come, first served basis (just one of these per person though):
Are you all in a single cell or multiple ones?
What does your cell look like? Are you shackled?
Have you encountered Captain Hollas before?
Is your cell guarded? By how many guards?

Everyone:
What will you do next?

Naomi blinked at the darkness. She could feel the swelling of her lip, and the blood drying in her eyes and mouth.
They had beaten her badly; it was a feeling she remembered. And it made her feel alive.

When the Imp's had boarded the Owl, Naomi had meet them first. She'd dropped two of the bastards before they'd even had a chance. One of them may well be dead, but she couldn't be sure. Certainly, she hoped so.

It'd taken four of them to hold her down, though, in the end, as the fifth (coward that he was) and smashed her face in with the butt of his rifle. She'd felt the first three hits before loosing consciousness ... and wondered how many more times he'd hit her.

She sucked her lip.

The floor of the cell was hard and cold; like her. The pain came as she smiled.
They'd cuffed her, behind her back. And certainly thrown her into the cell with a laugh.

"NAAATAAASSHHHHAAAA" she screamed.

Naomi was alone in this cell, so she had no way of knowing where Natasha was. Hopefully Her Ladyship was in a nearby cell. If not, Naomi would have to go to greater lengths to find her ward.

She had no way of knowing whether the Imperials had discovered Natasha's real identity or not ... not until she could talk to Her Ladyship.

It had been many years ago, now, that Her Ladyship had come into the pits, and purchased Naomi. And Her Ladyship had been very specific: she wasn't looking for just any fighter, she had come for Naomi.
Why? Naomi never knew, nor dared to ask. But Her Ladyship had bought Naomi out of slavery, and then, years later, officially set her free.
At Her Layship's request, Naomi had stayed on, a free woman, guarding the Lady.
That wouldn't stop now ... if only she could get back to Natasha.

Naomi felt, at that moment, the full weight of her failure: letting her hatred of the Imperials draw her out and away from her charge. Her failure to protect the Lady.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Rogers
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The GM wrote:

Lady Blackbird: Who is Natasha Syri? What do the others know?(Naomi give us the details on her relationship with you) What do you think your place in this group currently is?

Natasha Syri is my pseudonym. I used it when Cyrus asked me my name and it has been a delight to pretend to be this dangerous commoner.

With Carlowe's thugs on the hunt for me, it turned to to be prudent and surprisingly effective. No one has questioned my "cover" on the trip so far.

The others, Kale, Cyrus and Snargle, they were told only that Naomi and I are close friends. She is the person I trusted to set up this smuggling affair. I have shared with her my plan to escape that slug of a man Carlowe and she knows I am seeking solace with the exiled Pirate King.

After Naomi calls out my name, I stand up from my dingy little cot and head to the iron bars of my cell. I lean into the bars, putting my face between them and call to her in my soft voice, "Naomi... Naomi, darling, I'm in the cell beside you. The walls are solid, but my door is merely a set of bars." I reach my hand between the bars at the edge closest to Naomi. I give her a small wave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Caffrey
Ireland
Meath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kale Arkam studied the walls of his cell. He'd been in more than a few cells in his time and had long ago learned that even the most secure cells had a flaw that could be exploited. In this case he suspected the flaw might be the one guard stationed beside his cell. A single guard could always be persuaded to... "forget" to lock a cell door given the right motivation. Kale had managed to pocket a bulging purse before being captured. A bulging purse wasn't something Kale was eager to part with, but he suspected it would lead to a much bigger payoff.

"That sounded like quite the party upstairs. I guess you drew the short straw to be stuck here watching a harmless sailor." Kale had been intrigued by the party that seemed to be ongoing. Imperial cruisers didn't often host parties so this must be a very special occasion. In Kale's experience, this kind of special occasion was often attended by people who wouldn't notice a few missing pieces of jewellery or a slightly lighter purse.

Kale pulled the drawstring out of the purse and quickly fashioned it into a garrote. When it was ready he let the bag fall to the floor, the coins spilling out. "Oops, I really can't carry this much coin. Do you know anyone trustworthy who might hold onto it for me?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
The guard didn't glance down at the bag and spilled coins. He quirked an eyebrow at Kale. Using his left foot he slid the bag and as much of the coin as possible away from the cell door and out into the open space of the corridor.

Stepping away from Kale's door he then went down on one knee, keeping his head up and used one hand to reach down to where the bag should be. Finding it he tidied up some spilt coins without taking his eyes off Kale and then stood up with the bag.

"I think I know just the person. Got any other surprises on you in there, chump?"

This imperial obviously wasn't born yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Cyrus Vance: What will they find when they run your ship's registry through the wireless? Have you seen any imperials you recognize here or who might recognise you? How do you feel about your ship being caught? What's your impression of the lady who hired you and her 'friend'?
'I can't believe we let ourselves get captured. Of course, it didn't help that we couldn't even escape into the Lower Depths when we were so low on fuel and on the verge of needing repairs. I should have ordered us farther around Haven. Why I even agreed to take this mystery woman and her friend to The Remnants is beyond me, but I've always been a sucker to a pretty face, and there's just something about Natasha that seems... unexpected, charming even. Alas, with the sum of money they offered up front, I'd be mad to refuse!'

"Hah!", I laughed, remembering how her friend had taken out so many of the bastards. 'She's a fighter that one, a good ally to have when we get out of this mess.'

I look around for what must be the hundredth time looking for a way to escape this little cell, not that anything has changed. 'I might be able to break off some of the rusting metals of the cell walls and fashion some type of weapon if only the hadn't chained me so tightly to the floor, not that the chains could hold me here anyway. They clearly didn't enjoy my little escapade when they brought us on board.' I smirk, reminding myself that we put twice as many of them into the infirmary than they put into their cells.

Down the hall I hear a scream. It sounds like Naomi is still able to speak despite the beating she took to the face. I'm glad to know they didn't kill her.

Closer, though less audible, I hear the jingle of coins. 'That must be the purse Kale stole on our way down here, sly devil.' I hear some muffled conversation, though it's too far away to make out the words.

'Captain Hollas,' I think to myself, chewing over the name. 'It doesn't sound familiar, though surely he must have been in the Imperial Sky Fleet when I was, probably just a lowly Lieutenant Junior back when I was in. He probably doesn't even know who I am, though it might not be long before he figures it out. Thank God the Fleet is desperate for new recruits with the recent increase in pirate activities over the last decade. No one here knows who I am, and I intend to keep it that way.'

'There must be a way to get us all out of here together. I'm sure the opportunity will present itself, though will it be in time. Who knows the amount of trouble we'll be in when they find out nothing on our ship registry matches our cargo. I just pray they don't realize the goods we are carrying were stolen from Olympia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
Naomi stumbled onto her feet ... and was surprised to find that her body wasn't suffering too badly at all. They'd worked her face over with that rifle butt well and good, but her torso and limbs all felt good.

As she walked over to her cell door, she heard the scattering of coins on the floor, and the muffled conversation down the hall. She recognized the voice of that Kale, talking to someone. Looking through the bars, she could see the guard that was in the corridor, picking up the coinage outside a cell further down ... from whence came Kale's voice.

"Natasha" she said, "Are you ok?
I'm sorry I failed you
".

As she spoke, her arm, chest and shoulder muscles bulged in effort to break the cuff chain that held her arms bound behind her.
She'd been held before when she wasa Pit Fighter. But those experiences had made her Hard and Brutal; a Living Weapon unbondable with such petty devices. Also, she had trained hard in the art of smashing things real good (The Secret of Destruction).

PF: hard, brutal, living weapon 5d6 = (6 + 1 + 6 + 6 + 5) = 24

Edit: hmmm I think I screwed up my 'roll dice'. I only got a total. But if 24 is the total of 5d, the average had to be 5's.
I'll go recheck how to roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 240577. galley_slave
  • 5d6 =
  • (6 + 1 + 6 + 6 + 5) =
  • PF: hard, brutal, living weapon
  • Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:00 am
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
galley_slave wrote:
galley_slave previously rolled 5d6 = (6 + 1 + 6 + 6 + 5) = 24 (PF: hard, brutal, living weapon)

Edit: hmmm I think I screwed up my 'roll dice'. I only got a total. But if 24 is the total of 5d, the average had to be 5's.
I'll go recheck how to roll.

We can use that. Click on the blue number 24 - it expands to show you the individual rolls. In this case 6+1+6+6+5. A 4,5,6 is a pass so you got 4 successes and one fail dice. With a target of 3 (emotional stress not dropping you a level) you still pass!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Rogers
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
[Lady Blackbird]

I answer Naomi loud enough for both of them to hear, "Naomi, my good friend. You didn't fail me. You aren't the one who tried to save a few coins by buying a false flag at some hardscrabble market or on the black boards or somesuch."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When it was clear they wouldn't avoid capture, before being boarded Snargle had taken his fattest body shape possible. Indeed, their captors could barely squeeze the manacles around his thick wrists. Wide though he was, it was difficult to make him out in the gloom, his skintone being the same as the gunmetal comprising the Hand of Sorrow's bulkhead and brig walls.

Sitting stone still on the floor of his cell, Snargle bode his time until the brief moments when the guard's eyes were locked on Kale. Had he been watching closely, the guard would have witnessed the goblins' Secret of Shape Warping as Snargle shrank, deflating like a balloon, leaving his now-too-large bonds behind where he'd sat. In the deeper shadows beneath his cell's cot, he was now as good as invisible.

"Ehehehe…" Snargle chuckled silently to himself. The crew of The Owl had gotten out of tighter places than this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
{Naomi}

Naomi sighed with releif that Natasha was close, and safe. 

She felt the chain of the cuffs behind her back stretching under the stress of her will and muscle ... until that ne weakest link opened. 

"I'll get you out of here. Just give me a moment". 

She agily grabbed the opened chain link, so that it wouldn't fall to the ground and draw the guards attention. Then moved over, hands now free, to examine the lock on the grated door.  

One good solid lock: ample to keep most anyone held within. 
One good solid kick: that's all Naomi would need.  

With one swift, precise movement, she brutally kicked the door lock mechanism: hard and fast.  

She wasn't too worried about the noise. Sure, the guard would hear. But he was distracted right now by Kale's demonic tongue and the opportunity for some quick gold. Besides, prisoners threw themselves at the door regularly, and kicked the buggers.  The guard was unlikely to realize the actual damage that this prisoner was doing to the door.  

Still, she did it with as much stealth as she could.

1d+ Pit Fighter, Combat Tested, Brutal, Living Weapon, Fast, Hard +1 Pool 8custom2{0;1} = (1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 0) = 5

As the door mechanism shattered, she maintained some pressure against the door ... so that the force of the impact wouldn't cause the door to rebound open off its door frame.

Then, she waited, to judge the reaction of the guard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 242111. galley_slave
  • 8custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 0) =
  • 1d+ Pit Fighter, Combat Tested, Brutal, Living Weapon, Fast, Hard +1 Pool
  • Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:09 pm
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Having picked up the purse of coins the solitary Imperial guard moved away, down the middle of the corridor and any of you listening carefully would hear a small door open a clank as the bag is placed down and then the same door closing again. (OOC: Up to each of you whether you noticed the lockers on the way in, near the door.)

As the locker door was closing the first jarring THUD came from one of the cell doors.

"Pipe down in there, or I'll have to put a call in for some of my chums!"

Despite the party, if they were needed they would come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
GM Question Time

Some of the first set of questions are still pertinent here so feel free to answer those still.

Gonna ask group questions first, as there's one in particular that needs answering and is pertinent to several of your questions:

Everyone:

You are all in individual cells, but no one has described the LAYOUT of the cell block. Are you all in a row down one side? Is the room even an oblong? Are you opposite each other? You would have seen where this cell block was (except for Naomi who was out cold) - what's beyond that door? A reccie room with a dozen relaxing Imperials? Another corridor? What's this Party that Kale described?

Kale: Your little bag o' gold trick didn't pay off. In fact all it did was lose you a bag of gold! Any other tricks or hidden items up your sleeves? Any idea as to where the other crew and guests are? That banging....? Also, can you still see the guard and where he just walked to or is your angle of vision too restricted?

Naomi: You've just been told to pipe down or more guards will be on the way. How much time do you need between opening the door and lamping him one? How do you plan on freeing the others?

Cyrus: Any tricks to lose the cuffs? As an Imperial you know of any 'tricks'..who was that guy from back in the 20th Century...hoodinie, wasn't it? You've heard Kale and possibly Naomi nearby, but what about the other crew and guests?

Snargle: The guard just walked back towards the door out of here, but without checking your cell. What next? And where are the others?

Natasha: Being next to the door's window you've seen the guard walk back towards the door. Do you have a good enough view to see the lockers and guard still? If so, is he anywhere near that communication replay he just mentioned using or is it on his person someone? Could your magic be of use here in some sly, surreptitious way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Caffrey
Ireland
Meath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kale Arkam

Quote:
Ah yes, Naomi heard me! She's apologizing to me? For failing? And I think I heard Kale on the other side of my cell. I answer Naomi loud enough for both of them to hear, "Naomi, my good friend. You didn't fail me. You aren't the one who tried to save a few coins by buying a false flag at some hardscrabble market or on the black boards or somesuch." The black boards part, I read about that in the Gazette once, it sounded quite nefarious, I'm sure it will impress a ruffian like Kale that I'm on to his schemes. At least, I hope it does.

Kale scoffed at Natasha's poor attempt at subtlety. He was almost offended by the implication that he'd try to save a few coins when he could save a lot of coins by obtaining the flag through less... reputable means. It wasn't his fault that the high quality flags had much better security. He could've worked his way around even that security if he'd had time. But the Great Madame Syri was in such a rush to leave Ilysium that he had to settle for whatever the security hadn't been paying attention to.

He was glad to see that the guard hadn't noticed that Snargle's cell across the hall from his seemed to be emptier than it had been only moments ago. That little, or not so little, runt always knew how to get out of a sticky spot.

He watched the guard closely to see exactly where he would put the bag of coins. Kale didn't intend to lose that bag. And if he happened to find a few other treasures with the bag then it'd be rude for him to just leave them there. He saw the guard putting the bag into one of the lockers Kale had spotted while they being brought into the cell block. When he was certain the guard's back was turned and his attention on the locker, Kale pulled a lock pick out of his hair. “Never leave home without it” He quickly and quietly set to picking the lock on the door.

1 + Burglar + Quiet + Sneak + Dextrous + Locks + 1 pool die = 7custom2{0;1} = (1 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1) = 6

Kale smiled as the he felt the familiar "click" that always accompanied the opening of a lock. Just then, he heard a loud thud from his left, where he had heard Naomi's voice earlier. He knew that if anyone could force their way out of one of these cells it would be that woman. He decided to wait until they could all break out simultaneously and take out the guard before he could call for reinforcements. Kale slid the lock pick across the floor towards Snargle's cell and whispered "The Captain". He hoped that Snargle was still close enough to hear him and that he would understand to bring the lock pick to the Captain. With that he closed the cell door enough that it still looked as if it were locked but not so much that the lock closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 242198. Legandir
  • 7custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1) =
  • Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:24 pm
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goblins know all things metal and mechanical just as ducks know water. The moment his ears caught the soft click and shattering thud, he knew two locks had been neutralized. 'Kale and perhaps that brute Naomi, if I had to guess,' he reasoned. He could't see the others (as their cells were along the same wall), but the former was confirmed a moment later by the sound of Kale's voice as a lockpick slid into view.

Snargle had intended for his disappearing act to give Kale the opportunity to pick his lock, but the guard hadn't yet noticed. It was now or never. The guard's problem was about to go from one perceived escapee to two very real ones!

1 + sly + crafty + sneaky + distraction + bluff + 1 pool = 7custom2{0;1} = (1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1) = 7 OOC: That's how I ROLL!

A haughty voice called out, "Aye, laddie, you're going to need that coin to ease your superiors' displeasure when they find out the goblin escaped on your watch!"

The gibe worked flawlessly. The guard's mind was torn equally between disbelief and fear, and as was his nature, he erred on the side of caution. Jogging quickly to Snargle's cell, he swept it once with his eyes before swiftly unlocking the door to make absolutely certain the cell was indeed empty. As the guard moved warily inside, Snargle hoped his companions were ready to seize their opportunity, even as he planned his own next move, eyeing the now-open cell door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 242585. MichMedia
  • 7custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1) =
  • Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:17 am
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
{playing Naomi}

As she stood there silently in her cell, Naomi heard the 'flawless jibe', and the subsequent opening of the cell down the hall.  
She cursed under her breath ... and moved. 

If anything was going to give the guard reason to summon more of his 'chums', it was an escaped prisoner. 
Thanks to that Gobbo, time was now against her. She had to move fast; before this guard sounded the alarm ... which might be as swift as hitting a button attached to his belt.  
She cursed under her breath ... and moved. 

Pulling the cell door open, she sprinted as fast as she could towards Snargles cell.  She could, even now, see the guard standing {thankfully} with his back to her, looking into Snargles cell ... and reaching for something.   

The cells were the traditional set-up: a corridor, with cells on each side facing each other across the space.  She also, peripherally, took in the door exiting the brig and the lockers there. 

Then, she was on the guard, just as he began to turn.  
She hit him hard, her fist brutal and swift, in an uppercut designed to send him across the cell and into its hard, unforgiving wall. 

Pit fighter, living weapon, combat tested, fast, brutal, hard 7custom2{0;1} = (1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1) = 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 242909. galley_slave
  • 7custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1) =
  • Pit fighter, living weapon, combat tested, fast, brutal, hard
  • Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:12 am
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snargle heard one of his two companions seize the opportunity. Where was the other? Snargle grit his teeth; they'd need every extra moment he could give them. "Looking for me?" He said, darting out from under the bunk with a grin.

1custom2{0;1} = (1) = 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 243120. MichMedia
  • 1custom2{0;1} =
  • (1) =
  • Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:11 pm
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
And it was at that moment, as the guard spun to look at the mischevious, mysterious goblin, that Naomi's sledgehammer fist caught him below the chin, and sent sailing into the cell wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snargle glanced grimly from the crumpled guard to the bristling fighter. "That'll do," he nodded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] |