United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GM,

Is the expectation that the players will set all of the scenes like this one when we open the door? Meaning, will you open a change in venue/setting by asking us what's going on and then we just run with it?

I'm not used to this wide open of a playstyle, so I'm trying to gauge if that's the norm in this game or if you just did it for this scene for a particular reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
{Naomi}

To be honest, I've been waiting for the guys to put on those uniforms. (or have I missed all three stating that they are doing so?)

But Nat has now opened the door, so I guess, uniforms or not, we are into the next scene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Scene-setting is a mutual thing between the GM and the players. In a case like this current one I personally prefer the players to write things *their* way and I will chime in (as I have just done) with difficulty and suggestions (this time in short form rather than the longer winded GM question time).

However if it were a major change - for example you go to land on a planet - then I would certainly step in and set the scene, but leave the details to you guys.

Yes, it is a very radical way of working, but it means you have to think about providing obstacles as well as solutions

If however, at any time, you want me to step in and scene set you only have to ask. But be prepared for something worse than you would have written (maybe better?? heheeh)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
galley_slave wrote:
{Naomi}

To be honest, I've been waiting for the guys to put on those uniforms. (or have I missed all three stating that they are doing so?)

But Nat has now opened the door, so I guess, uniforms or not, we are into the next scene.

I think someone should narrate that they have one leg and one arm inside a uniform when Naomi declares her charge....LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
galley_slave wrote:
{Naomi}

I think someone should narrate that they have one leg and one arm inside a uniform when Naomi declares her charge....LOL
Hehehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't quite understand what the dice roll was for in Naomi's last post. Can someone explain?

And just to be sure about the setup, are you saying 3 guards sitting at a table playing poker somewhere down the corridor and currently out of sight around a corner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
I don't quite understand what the dice roll was for in Naomi's last post. Can someone explain?

And just to be sure about the setup, are you saying 3 guards sitting at a table playing poker somewhere down the corridor and currently out of sight around a corner?

I read the dice-roll as a way to determine how lucky you were with what lay "beyond" - so a 1 would have been Imperials standing, guns out, ready for you up to 5 for they are all asleep in bunks. 3 being middle ground not bad but not good either.

set-up: 3, possibly more at the table! (your choice as always) and maybe more in the room doing other stuff quietly if you want to throw any spanners in the works (or if you fail dice rolls)

Down a short corridor yes, not necessarily around a corner, but certainly distracted by their game and so have not immediately seen you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Rogers
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Yes, it is a very radical way of working, but it means you have to think about providing obstacles as well as solutions
That seems, to me, a little odd. To set my own scenes and my own obstacles? Then offer my own solutions? I'm trying to play along, but this is not what I was expecting.

See, the problem for me is that if I'm left to my own devices, I'll fall back on previous plays of Lady Blackbird and basically recycle things. I was hoping for a fresher take on the setting to help me see the game with new eyes.

I think what I'll do, is hang back and let the other players set the scenes and play through that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
wizcreations wrote:

I decided to make a roll to see how perceptive Naomi was, listening, to what was out there ... given that nobody yet has offered anything substantial for that scene.

As the game mechanism is 3 = success (less = fail, 5+ = impressive), I decided that Naomi got a decent idea of what was beyond the door.

As was responded, maybe it's not ALL that's out there, but at least I've set a beginning scenario for us ... which is the kind of player driven storytelling I beleive the GM has been encouraging.

And yes: out the door and down a short corridor to the right, 3 men playing cards.

Please, feel free to add some, if you wish ... but let's do something to progress this storyline before we all die of old age inside this brig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Orklord - Did your previous GMs of Lady Blackbird take a greater GM role with regards to scene setting? As I said, I am more than happy to do so if you want me to. Let me know how they worked it and we'll find a happy middle road!

In my real-life game I certainly took a more conventional GM role as I know that is "how my group role" - they still had control but I did a lot more scene setting than here.

There is no hard and fast rule with regards to LB - it is a deliberately "loose" system - and I'm happy to GM this however you all see fit - I just thought you were all doing a grand job of providing information as you went. But if you think it is holding you back in regards to the story telling them give me the nod and I'll step up to the plate as it were.

The last thing I want is for my players to be unhappy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I personally would like more of the scene to be set up for us. This is my first time playing an RPG, and I'd rather take on more of a player role than a GM-type role. I'm fine if other players want to set the scene, and I'm okay offering some setting input, but I'm not really ready to create my own scenes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I think a consensus has been reached!

I shall take a more traditional GM role in this for you all, and am happy to do so!

If anything like this ever bothers you guys please step forward and say so (in a private message if need be) as otherwise I won't know that anything is wrong.

So to re-iterate:

I shall do the wider-scene setting, however if you come up with any ideas that you think would be cool to include please post to the OOC thread and I shall see if I can write them in. You all get to improvise and add to whatever I write however so knock yourself out there.

(IE, if I say there are 5 imperials in the room you are quite welcome to write that a further 3 come in from a side-room making life harder for you all or adding a surprise element.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Okie days people - I have edited my last post to turn it into a scene-setting (using Galley_Slave's previous information of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Rogers
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like more scene setting from the GM role.

I'm not asking for a couple paragraphs of boxed text, but a general idea of the relative space, who is there, that kind of thing.

Thanks for being open to feedback. I'm not a big fan of games like Universalis or Fiasco where everything is up for grabs and there is little to no setting moderation by a GM. I've tried them, they just get too loosey-goosey for my tastes.

Edited: Oh, well thanks for the edits, GM. I'll run over and look now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
I gotta admit that I enjoy a shared storytelling game, where everyone pitches in to share the responsibility: and it's rare to find a GM who is confident enough to let players take some of that role.

And so I thank Sam for being open with his game.
But I understand that we have new players aboard; so while I lament the lose of that situation, I certainly am happy to find a game style that we can all enjoy.

Let us Sally forth, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
You still have shared responsibility Sean, just not quite as much when it comes to the "bigger picture". You are still welcome to add in as much detail and information as you want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Rogers
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
galley_slave wrote:
I gotta admit that I enjoy a shared storytelling game, where everyone pitches in to share the responsibility: and it's rare to find a GM who is confident enough to let players take some of that role.

And so I thank Sam for being open with his game.
But I understand that we have new players aboard; so while I lament the lose of that situation, I certainly am happy to find a game style that we can all enjoy.

Let us Sally forth, then.
I realize that the Lady Blackbird text doesn't explicitly say whether it is a storytelling game or a more conventional GM-players style of game.

That said, I see elements that speak to a more conventional style of play. For example, in the bottom half all the PC sheets, it says what happens when you don't pass a roll:
"The GM will escalate the situation in some way and you might be able to try again."

That to me says the expectation is for the GM to affect/control the situation, not for me the player to say how my PC fails and what goes horribly wrong.

Later, on the Running the Game page, it states:
"The GM’s jobs: listen and reincorporate, play the NPCs with gusto,
create interesting obstacles, and impose conditions as events
warrant (especially when rolls fail)."

I take that to mean that the GM is creating obstacles and therefore, setting up situations at least in part. Saying "the door opens, what's in it?" doesn't feel like it fits within these expectations as I understood them coming into the game.

I know the GM is adjusting to the more conventional style, and I understand I'm belaboring the point, but if players are randomly setting their own difficulties for conflicts that aren't set up by the GM and then rolling the dice against some unspoken challenge rating, then narrating results, that skews far away from what I'm interested in doing in this game. I'm speaking to the Naomi post, which I realize happened before I spoke up earlier this week. So, again, beating a dead horse, but now that it is out in the open that the GM and at least one player are keen to play in a much more open, storytelling style and are lamenting the loss of it, that's a real shame.

Yes, you guys can "play down" to my level, and I'll be honest to say that's how I read the post I quoted above, as if I'm some new player (not true) who isn't open-minded enough to enjoy this style of play (possibly true). So, if I'm holding you guys back from the game you want to be playing, well that sucks.

This game works wonderfully well with Natasha Syri acting as an NPC. I think maybe I should bow out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that worked well Cyrus!

Shame you can't give yourself a good talking to for a re-roll lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rich,

Please do not leave because you think I am changing GM style and don't like it. I am happy to GM in whatever manner is needed, and if the majority of players want a firmer hand then that's cool by me! Honestly, Lady Blackbird can be played and GM'd in a number of ways - and as I think I mentioned in a previous post when I did it for my face to face group I took a much bigger scene-setting and GMing role.

I would have already been taking a stronger hand in it all if you all had not been showing yourselves to be so good at making your own hurdles and obstacles.

I know Sean (galley_slave) enough I think to say that while he will lament the loss of almost full control he will also still play and enjoy the game with me taking a firmer hand in things (please correct me if I am wrong Sean). And also, he will still have loads of control and can add in details. This is why when I wrote the current scene I deliberately put in the "extra door" to somewhere - it gives the possibility of player-led OR gm-led obstacles emerging from there.

So I again ask you to re-consider leaving.

Oh, and Lady Blackbird as NPC does not work well - I can attest to o this 100% due to an online game of LB I've been GMing over on RPOL that has been well and truly Derailed. The player being LB went all Darth Vadar on us and when some of the other players (Snargle and Kale) stood up for themselves she backed out of the game saying "it wasn't for her"....well she's the one who made the situation what is was and then couldn't live with the consequences. I took over as LadyB but it is pretty much dead now as the others lost their mojo.

Basically, if you leave I will need to ask for a replacement on the boards. This is not a problem, but it will of course mean a change in style for Natasha when the new person takes over.

I would feel a LOT better knowing I had changed GM style to fit yours and everyones vision than that. However I will understand if you still want to leave.

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
kale wrote:
Kale

When Kale heard the Cap'n get tongue-tied, he immediately started quietly chanting the secret words necessary to shroud the room in darkness.

Burglar + Quiet + Darkness + Petty Magic + Dark Spell + 1 Pool: 6custom2{0;1} = 3

I'm afraid that roll is somewhat wrong Stephen. Firstly you missed off being Alive; Secondly you can only use one Trait at a time which in this case would be "Petty Magic" (and the tag "Dark Spell")

So in order to get your 6 dice You will need to use some Pool Dice and the roll will now look like this:

Alive + Petty Magic + Dark Spell + 3 Pool = 6custom2{0;1} = 3

The result can of course stand at a three and a success, but the way to get there has to change

I'll post for the NPCs now...

EDIT - oh, and I've given you the Key of the Mission for that darkness spell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Naomi given Key of Vengeance.

Naomi - some of the others may want to follow your initial charge so if you can give them a chance to post IC (or OOC to say nope, staying put!) before killing some more that would be great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
Ahahahahahhhhhaa aaaahaha

Starbucks and Apollo! That cracks me up.

And yeah, I fully intend to let everyone else post an action before I do again ... unless they take to long (my general thought is a day or so)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wait a sec, this isn't BSG. Those names aren't on the list in the LB pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I need to remove mb from my lineup as it clearly doesn't apply to my dice rolls.

Can you confirm that my last roll for the shot fired is a miss on the crouched guard? I rolled a 3 but was hoping for a 4+.

(for some reason I keep typing card instead of guard, strange...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [19] |