Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
I didn't feel like Stephen or I were left out. It rather gives a nice opportunity for the party to accomplish 2 tasks simultaneously.

Glad to know that

Quote:
I don't think I'm ready to adequately to both write character actions and create the problem. I guess it's similar to the problem Rich had when he quit, but where he didn't want to create his own story, I just feel incapable of doing so.

It's a hard one to call. For someone who has never roleplayed in this way before how do you know that won't like something unless you try it? So for jumping in, giving it a go, and lasting as long as you have I doff my cap to you! Maybe, once you've had your fill of less proactive, and more reactive games (such as D&D/Pathfinder) you'll think to yourself "I'd like to give those indie games another go...!"

Quote:
As a highly inexperienced beginner, I think I would be much better served having to play a character reacting to a situation. This story always felt like each of us are required to be a minor GM to our own situations.

If you like my style and can't find anything else to whet your whistle I could always run my Legend:Ancient Stones scenario for you. I would do a severely cut down variety compared to what I've been running elsewhere (6 months in and still going strong but only 1/3 the way through the game lol) because I too have concluded that as a GM with PBF, especially with newbies, SHORT IS SWEET! lol.

So if you fancy that, let me know and I'll send you a PM with details of the system and the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Caffrey
Ireland
Meath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel similar to Kenneth in that the game feels like a chore. I enjoyed it a lot and I love the style, but I don't think I can manage the sustained energy it takes to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Legandir wrote:
I feel similar to Kenneth in that the game feels like a chore. I enjoyed it a lot and I love the style, but I don't think I can manage the sustained energy it takes to play.

Thought that might be the case. Cheers for piping up and letting me know for sure....see last few posts for all comments though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alright going to crack on then. Sorry to see you go Stephen, all the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
Ken, Stephan,
If it means anything, Neither of you ever appeared to me as beginners ... so you were doing well.
As they guys say, if something a little more guided is your taste, then I wish you all the best.
Alternately: can you not be guided in this game, put aside your feelings of creative obligation, and just react to what Sam and your fellow players throw out there? We don't need you to be adding; reacting will contribute to the game just as adaquately.

As for Sam's Ancient Stones ofference, could these guys not be invited over to the current game on another channel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
galley_slave wrote:
Ken, Stephan,
If it means anything, Neither of you ever appeared to me as beginners ... so you were doing well.
As they guys say, if something a little more guided is your taste, then I wish you all the best.
Alternately: can you not be guided in this game, put aside your feelings of creative obligation, and just react to what Sam and your fellow players throw out there? We don't need you to be adding; reacting will contribute to the game just as adaquately.

As for Sam's Ancient Stones ofference, could these guys not be invited over to the current game on another channel?

They most certainly could - my biggest concern there is it's quite a long game (due to being PBF...in rl play it's about 5 or 6 sessions). But if they would like the info I can PM anyone who wants with the link to it and they can come have a look and join in if they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cya, Stephen. It was fun while it lasted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's been a lot of bluff and bluster on Lady B's part, some of it even successful, so I'm going to use my remaining upgrade to take the Silver Tongue Tag in Cunning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My rolling in this game has been rather routinely awful! Alas Lady B's back to her bumbling ways...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thecameronin wrote:
My rolling in this game has been rather routinely awful! Alas Lady B's back to her bumbling ways...
laugh She must be a Straight Shooter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hah! Thinking I should spend the rest of her xp on something suitably bumbling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thecameronin wrote:
Hah! Thinking I should spend the rest of her xp on something suitably bumbling.
Or:

The Secret of Womanhood
Once per session, you may re-roll a failure on any social action.
Tales from the Wild Blue Yonder: Appendix

?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The secret to being good at talking is being female? That's sexist enough to make me want to avoid taking it, plus, despite my best efforts Lady B seems genuinely rubbish at social actions. It's kind of charming, but I think we should codify that rather than try to fix it. Go with the story.

Sam, how would we go about representing a disadvantage in game? Make one up? Maybe replace that Silver Tongue Tag with this?

Shot Confidence. Charm, a gift that once seemed so easy, now brings nothing but disaster. Until you recover your confidence you no longer gain the +1 dice for being Alive in social situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, generally the disadvantages were the things like Injured, Trapped, Dead (pretending to be, not actually). But even they are just a case of roleplaying how it would disadvantage you.

I guess if you want to take that tag then it would certainly heighten the roleplay somewhat! Though you'd have to make a concious decision to use it/put yourself in that corner.

I say go for it lol I think it's safe to say that LB/Naomi/Snargle have now ditched the Owl and it's captain and mechanic.

Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thecameronin wrote:
Lady B seems genuinely rubbish at social actions. It's kind of charming, but I think we should codify that rather than try to fix it. Go with the story.

Sam, how would we go about representing a disadvantage in game? Make one up? Maybe replace that Silver Tongue Tag with this?

Shot Confidence. Charm, a gift that once seemed so easy, now brings nothing but disaster. Until you recover your confidence you no longer gain the +1 dice for being Alive in social situations.
Sounds more like a condition to me, but I agree, it's part of her character. You could create sort of an anti-Key of Banter; Key of Blather? At least then you could benefit from (in-character) failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The only issue with a key is that I'd be hitting it when passing despite its penalty - in other words, when not doing what they key describes instead of doing what it describes (which is the usual way they operate).

I think I'll take a straight penalty until a point in the story where she either gets genuinely good at things, or recovers her confidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Well, generally the disadvantages were the things like Injured, Trapped, Dead (pretending to be, not actually).
Man, being dead is such a drag!
Bifford wrote:
I think it's safe to say that LB/Naomi/Snargle have now ditched the Owl and it's captain and mechanic.
In terms of gameplay, I think you're right. I did, however, leave open the possibility of his return with Snargle's payment ulterior motive.

Which reminds me, Key of Conscience for Snargle's concern motive in pursuing Naomi into the sphere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be offline for a couple of days for the holiday weekend; I've got an idea for a post, but I wanted to give Naomi a chance to react, first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No rush Paul, much better that everyone has a chance to pitch than rushing through for the sake of finishing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah there's no hurry, I think you guys are writing your own story quite nicely...and honestly i wouldn't know what to write as GM currently anyway lol.... you lot have this sewn up rather tightly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
Sorry, all, for my lapse in posting. Real life is hectic at the moment.
I'll contribute soon, but please don't wait for me; I'm not sure what Naomi would do just now, but I'll try to post something soon, regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to use the last 2 keys hit to max out my pool dice (rather than use as XP points), and use the remaining 5 XP I had stored up to buy the Sharp tag under my Sly trait. (I'm assuming that's kosher; all to be used in my next post.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Stats adjusted and done good Sir. Key of Banter hit. 1XP.

Lady B gets one 1xp for pushing the mission forward last week.

Bishop gets 1xp for helping the mission to go ahead (by actually doing nothing but be ready to attack!).

I think we can safely say that you guys are about an inch away from completing the initial Lady Blackbird quest! Huzzah!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great stuff guys! Seems to me like that's the perfect place to leave it, with things set up beautifully for a future adventure in the Bathbysphere, though if anyone else wants to add something please feel free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
A very nice ending there! (Lady B/Naomi - feel free to add in an "epilogue" to your story!)

Well done everyone who lasted to the story's conclusion, it was well worth it I think!

So as it stands, for any future game :

Cyrus and Kale are doing the old Han Solo + Chewbacca thing somewhere in the Blue;

Lady Blackbird; Naomi; Uriah Heap (and the Goblin pilot and automaton) are in the bathysphere heading for the Deeps;

Snargle is off to the blue-knows-where on his own crusade.

Lovely

Thank you one and all, I hope you had a good time.

One more thing to say: So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  15 , 16 , 17 , 18 , 19  Next »  [19] |