Subject: Bifford's Lady Blackbird OOC Game B - Newbie Initiative 2013. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Caffrey
Ireland
Meath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, sorry for absence. The past week has been nothing but non-stop studying, so now that I've finished my exams I'm catching up on a lot of things. I have some ideas for a post and I'll try to write it tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone's been watching STS9.....lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Someone's been watching ST:DS9.....lol
DS9 references? I missed 'em!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Caffrey
Ireland
Meath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, yeah I was talking to a friend about Star Trek recently so it was on my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any laughs about Snargle eating escargot, shell and all? Chuckle? Snicker?

Key of Conscience for Snargle's check-in call?

Also: remember the goblin crew of Gob is somewhere nearby, looking to do some business. They could be a source of information, supplies, and possibly trouble!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quick phone post, but that's why I asked the question - in case either Snargle or Naomi wanted to steer the group in a particular direction. Please feel free to do so if you like, I don't want anyoen to feel like they are being dragged along!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries, Robbie; I was composing my post when you posted, and will give Naomi a chance to respond first to Lady B's proposed options. I don't think the ladies meeting the Gob crew is the best idea, as they might only be a step or two above bounty hunters.

http://io9.com/the-curious-evolution-of-the-typewriter-in-pi...

Check out the first entry, the Writing Ball, for steampunky gadget inspiration!

Also: this past weekend we were out shopping and I encountered some steampunk stuff in a counterculture gift shop; they had mostly sculpture-y guns, but also some goggles which were very tempting. Still, I felt like buying something would be cheating; I'd want to make something myself. In any event, it was both surreal and awesome to encounter the stuff in the real world, in a store like that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
I have attempted, with this most recent post, to open up for Natasha and Snargle, an avenue of investigation and inquiry; hopefully so that we can move the story along some.
Maybe one or both of you know some contacts, or locations, etc, that we can enquire of our little friend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice too. I like your initiative
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Going to ask two keys. Mission, for choosing the Spymaster despite it being the difficult option to ensure the success of Lady Blackbird's mission, a Paragon, for showing those jumped up little lower class money-pinchers how the Nobles roll if they want to get all haughty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
That's cool.

Oh, and you can blame Kenneth for giving the GM ideas for this one ...

And that puts LB on 10XP + 1 upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ah yes forgot I still had an upgrade. Time to peruse the list and pick a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam, how are we defining a session here for Keys that use them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Noticable breaks in action time.

So once you'd gotten safely away from the Hand of Sorrow, that was the end of Scene One. You are now in Scene two which will probably end when you leave the planet and are safely cruising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect Snargle to provide some suitable "upgrades" to the coachman on departure! lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
I expect Snargle to provide some suitable "upgrades" to the coachman on departure! lol
Sounds like she's seen better days, lol! Nice description, Robbie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks. I always find Steampunk a good excuse to just let the imagination run wild!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys, I have to admit that I no longer have the desire to focus on this adventure, not because of any lack of time on my part nor anything any of you have done; I just simply am not enjoying this any longer. This was a fun foray into the world of RPGs, but my initial excitement at trying something new seemed to develop more into a chore than a source of delight. I’ve been reading along since my last post, but I haven’t felt any inspiration for participation. I’m sorry to let you down, but I hope Sam or another user can adequately fill Cyrus’s role for you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a real shame Kenneth, but I can understand your position.

Play by forum *can* drag a bit I will admit and if people take a small siesta causing the game to falter for a short while that really doesn't help (game A of my Lady Blackbird has killed itself in this way).

I take it my GM post for you didn't jump-start your imagination?

Well, I hope that it doesn't put you off RPGing as a whole, or at doing PBF either. It could be that you need a game where there is less Player Narrative and more action? LB is quite heavy on the player interaction with regards setting. It's possible you have realised, without even realising it, that you need to play a ***character doing things*** rather than a character and narrator. (IE D&D/Pathfinder "I hit it with my sword. Roll Dice. Yay!" sort of thing)

I wish you good fortune and happy roleplaying good Sir!

Sam / Bifford
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone seen/heard from Stephen Caffrey (Legandir) at all? I'm about ready to write him out of the game.

I've already asked Dan (Colliered) if he'd like to take over Cyrus's role, but I may ask the other game A players if they want his position too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
All the best Kenneth, no hard feelings. See you around VGG hopefully!

Sam I've not heard from Stephen, though he has logged on to the site today. Regarding splitting the party it was never my intention to create a situation where this sort of decision would need to be made. Rather, Kenneth and Stephen were not posting much and I wanted to move the story along while leaving them space to do their own thing. In hindsight it's probably made them feel left out, which is a shame.

One thing I'd say re: Dan coming in, and I've said this to Paul via GM - I have no issue at all with Dan, he's a great friend of mine in real life and a very good roleplayer, but it's a large weight of story to take on at this point.

While I'm very much enjoying this game, and the system and all involved, I don't want to see it languish / drag. I'd rather move toward a conclusion. That doesn't mean necessarily tying it up instantly, that'd feel forced, but I think we can move toward a conclusion fairly effectively and Paul has already put this in motion with his last post regarding the sphere. I'm not sure if he communicated his plans to you, but I like them a lot.

Tying things up would also set up a potential 'Act 2' style adventure which we could run at a later date with new players, a situation preferable to calling for replacements in my mind. Kenneth and Stephen's character can be written out, and if other people are interested we can pitch a new adventure to them using the Lady B rules.

Just a thought at any rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thecameronin wrote:
All the best Kenneth, no hard feelings. See you around VGG hopefully!
Indeed, Ken, sorry you lost steam (as it were); I had fun playing alongside you!

thecameronin wrote:
While I'm very much enjoying this game, and the system and all involved, I don't want to see it languish / drag. I'd rather move toward a conclusion. That doesn't mean necessarily tying it up instantly, that'd feel forced, but I think we can move toward a conclusion fairly effectively and Paul has already put this in motion with his last post regarding the sphere. I'm not sure if he communicated his plans to you, but I like them a lot.
Thanks, Robbie. I'm still in bed at 5am laugh but now that I'm up I'll outline my ideas (below).

thecameronin wrote:
Tying things up would also set up a potential 'Act 2' style adventure which we could run at a later date with new players, a situation preferable to calling for replacements in my mind. Kenneth and Stephen's character can be written out, and if other people are interested we can pitch a new adventure to them using the Lady B rules.

Just a thought at any rate.
My idea with the sphere is that it's an experimental ship for crossing the Depths. Your Haven security net idea combined with the (potential) need for a conclusion (based on active players) led to the idea that Flint could lead a pirate incursion into Haven to steal this ship (sphere), resulting in our final encounter. (Might be some Zaphod Beeblebrox inspiration there!) Whether or not it plays out this way is up to everyone, of course, I simply set the stage for the possibility. The "Act 2" Robbie alluded to is a full, new adventure I've been developing the Depths crossing idea into. That should bring everyone up to speed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
MichMedia wrote:
My idea with the sphere is that it's an experimental ship for crossing the Depths. Your Haven security net idea combined.....

That'll be my security net idea......blatantly ripped from Lexx. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I didn't feel like Stephen or I were left out. It rather gives a nice opportunity for the party to accomplish 2 tasks simultaneously.

I don't think I'm ready to adequately to both write character actions and create the problem. I guess it's similar to the problem Rich had when he quit, but where he didn't want to create his own story, I just feel incapable of doing so.

As a highly inexperienced beginner, I think I would be much better served having to play a character reacting to a situation. This story always felt like each of us are required to be a minor GM to our own situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wizcreations wrote:
As a highly inexperienced beginner, I think I would be much better served having to play a character reacting to a situation. This story always felt like each of us are required to be a minor GM to our own situations.

That's very true, and a hallmark of the indy storygame school. The traditional roleplay experience is much closer to what you mention might better serve you - the GM presents a situation and you react. In fact if I was recommending a roleplaying beginner start with something it'd be a more traditional system. Not too heavy with rules but based around the principle of here's a thing, what do you do? From there you can jump into a more cooperatively driven game.

Equally different things appeal to different folk. A very good friend of mine won't play story games like Lady B, he finds them wishy-washy and meaningless because, he says, if the players are empowered to just make things up nothing seems to matter the same.

So have a stab at a more traditional system, should the urge still be there. Lots of fun to be had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  15 , 16 , 17 , 18 , 19  Next »  [19] |