Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Game B of the Lady Blackbird Newbie PBF game!

Here are some appropriate links for this game:
Lady Blackbird Game B Newbie PBF Signup Geeklist Item

Game B, Lady Blackbird Newbie In-Character Thread
Game B, Lady Blackbird Newbie Out-Of-Character Thread (This thread)

This is the Out of Character Thread for Game B of Lady Blackbird. Please subscribe to this thread. (Click Subscribe under the subject at the top of the page)

I also recommend adding this page and the IC page to your QuickLinks at the top right of your Geek page. Click on a [+] symbol and then name the page something like "Lady Blackbird OOC thread" and "Lady Blackbird IC thread". Clicking these brings you straight here. The limitation of this is that it doesn't keep up with the pages so you need to EDIT the links when we get to page 2, 3 etc.

Here are some other helpful threads that you may find useful:
Visual Guide to Basic use of the GeekRoller with examples I am going to explain how we will use the dice roller though, so do not worry too much about this.
Play-by-forum FAQ and Reference
Tips for new users in PBF games
RPG Geek User Guide

Don't worry if you don't want to read those - they are not mandatory!

Now before you read on I'll just say this:
There's a lot of text to come explaining how everything works. I am more than happy for you to skim over this for now and to start posting here with hellos, questions and what-not. I am also happy to explain and repeat myself as often as need be before and during the game regarding anything.

I just felt it would be a good idea to get everything explained on the first page of this thread so that it is easily referenced by you all. If you think I have missed anything out, or something is not clear please let me know and I'll edit or re-explain it to you all.

I hope you all enjoy this game of Lady Blackbird!

Sam / Bifford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC Thread Explanation

This thread is specifically for OUT OF CHARACTER conversations and questions, to clarify rules and general chit-chat.

If you are ever in doubt about what to do or what your character might do, or how to do something, ask here and either myself or one of the other players will help you. RPGs in general are hard enough when you've not done them before - playing by forum can be even harder especially when you are new to it. But it's quite easy really and you will soon get the hang of it

Go grab the free PDF of Lady Blackbird from this site: http://www.onesevendesign.com/ladyblackbird/ and have a read. There is nothing in there that will spoil the game for you but all the basic ideas and explanations are within those few pages.

IC Thread and Basic Stuff Explanation

The IC thread is for all your In Character conversations and explanations. Explain what your character does here and talk to the other characters or NPCs (Non-Player Characters).

I will describe a scene and ask questions. These questions may be about character actions, feelings, or even be about the setting and NPC actions. This may be different from most role-playing games that you’re used to.

If a detail about the world is not established then you, as the player, may establish it. I may tell you the name of a guard, for example, but if I don’t then you are free to fill in that detail yourself. You even have some control over the guard’s background and motivation. Just don’t contradict anything that’s already established and don’t go overboard. If you provide a detail that goes against the theme or existing facts in the game I may change it.

Charater Sheets

The First post in the IC thread will have all the character sheets on it and I will keep this updated as we go through the game, so you only need to look on page one of the IC thread to know what your characters' current status is.

This post will keep track of conditions, XP, buyoffs, and so forth. I will update whenever anyone rolls the dice or a character hits a key etc. Please keep an eye on your character sheet and make sure it is accurate. Also, if I ever don't give you XP for some action and you feel you should have received it, please post in the out-of-character thread.

GM Question Posts

The second post starts with the introduction scenario. It will then be followed by a set of questions for each of you and for the group as a whole. This GM question post will appear throughout the game.

Any questions or text that are in the normal black colour are questions I want you to think about and Possibly answer - these are hints and ideas for the sorts of thing I expect you and your character to be thinking of, but if you have other ideas feel free to explore them.

Questions or text in a red colour are things you Must answer. These are things I deem very important to the moment.

Each of you will have questions specific to you, and there may well be questions for "Everyone on a first come, first served basis (just one of these per person though):"

Please see post #2 on the IC thread for an example of all of that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting Requirements

So the game has five characters:

Lady Blackbird / Natasha Syri (Imperial Noble)
Naomi Bishop (Former pit-fighter and Lady B's bodyguard)
Captain Cyrus Vance (Ex-Imperial soldier turned smugger. Captain of The Owl)
Kale Arkam (Burglar, petty sorcerer, first mate and mechanic on the Owl)
Snargle (Goblin sky-sailor and pilot of the Owl)

Formatting

Once we know who is playing who I will need you all to chose yourself a colour (with the exception of red, that is reserved for me and grey which is for OOC comments). All of your character's talking needs to be in that colour. It helps make it stand out.

Anything your character thinks needs to be in italics, and if possible 'wrapped in single quotes' (I'm not gonna fuss if you forget that!)

If you need to make an OOC comment within the IC thread (to explain an action, to point out that you think you hit a Key etc) then write this below all of your IC text and write it in grey/gray with the prefix OOC:
(for example: OOC: I think kale just hit the Key of Concealment! )

Frequency

In order to keep the game flowing nicely it would be awesome if everyone could log in and check the IC and OOC threads at least once a day. It may be that you are waiting for someone else to post before you can, but please check in to see if they have and if possible post in OOC to say "I'm just waiting for #### to do their post and then I'll do mine." Hopefully we can keep the game flowing nicely this way.

Time away

Everyone has a life outside of RPGgeek and computers in general. I understand that. If you know you are not going to be able to log in and post for a few days PLEASE post here and let me know. I can skirt around things or do a GM post on your behalf if need be. If you have ideas for what you want to do but you'll be away when they need doing feel free to send me a geekmail with your thoughts and ideas so I can enact them for you.

Going AWOL holds up the game for all concerned and we want this to be a happy game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost done with all the pre-blub stuff!!! Sorry there's so much to read, but if you've never done this before it helps to know a few rules.

And so on to the Dice mechanics side of things.

Dice, Pool Dice, Traits and Tags, Keys and Secrets

To explain this I'm going to use my favourite character of Kale Arkam.

I will come back to the mechanics of the dice roller later. First I need to explain the VERY simple way Lady Blackbird works.

Traits and Tags

Each character has a set of Traits. These are "general headings" for your characters background.
So Kale has Burglar, Tricky, Petty Magic (use one spell tag at a time) and Mechanic.

Each of these has a number of Tags. These are slightly more detailed components of the Trait. However these are quite loose terms and can be interpreted how you want.
Kale has, under the Burglar Trait, the tags Quiet, Sneak, Hide, Dextrous, Locks, Perceptive, Traps and Darkness.

The tags that have brackets [ ] around them (Alarms and Distractions) are tags Kale does not yet possess but can buy later with XP.

Dice Rolling

When you want to do something that involves your traits and tags (so if Kale decides to pick a lock for example) you use the following formula:

One dice (for being alive!) + one for the Trait (only one trait in any one roll) + one for each tag you use + any Pool dice you want to use.

So using our example Kale would get one dice (for being alive) plus one dice for Burglar and then gets another three dice for using the tags sneak, dexterous, locks. He decides to also use two pool dice to boost his die rolling. So 1+1+3+2 = 7 (d6) dice.

So Kale rolls 7 dice. He wants a number of successes equal or more than the difficulty.

A standard difficulty level is 3 (Difficult). If something is going to be easier or harder than that I will tell you in the thread or GM question posts.

So Kale picking the cell lock with no guards around would be a 3, however if he's trying to pick the lock while a guard stands by the door but is looking the other way the difficulty goes up to a 4. If there are two guards standing with their backs to the cell door and a third is pacing up and down then the difficulty hits 5.

Pool Dice

Each of you starts with 7 pool dice. These can be used to boost your dice rolling. Once you use the pool dice they are gone until we do something called a "refresher scene" (more on that later, I don't want to melt your brain right now) so use them wisely!

You will have the ability to purchase more (up to 10) with your XP but that will take a short while.

Keys

Each of you has three Keys. These are things specific to you and which make your character what they are. Think of them as the mould into which the person is poured. Kale has the Key of Greed, the Key of the Mission and the Key of Fraternity.

Read the keys for your character. Whenever you incorporate these keys into your text you "hit your key" and gain XP for it! So lets say Kale is walking down a corridor and spots something cool, shiny and mechanical and promptly nabbed it he can be classed as having hit his Key of Greed. He gains 1 XP for this.

Each Key has a "buyoff". Once you have hit your key at least once in game you have the option to buy off that key by fulfilling the terms of the text. So if Kale swears off stealing forever he has bought off his key. Doing so earns him 2XP and he can chose a new key. Think carefully before doing this though as these are major personality traits.

Also, if you go into danger because of a key you get 2XP. That shiny thing Kale wanted to steal? It's in a room filled with Imperials having lunch. He sneaks in, gets the item and gets out again without being noticed. 2XP!

Secrets

You also each have Secrets. These are things that can help you or your friends. Kale has Secret of Concealment and Secret of Reflexes meaning he can produce any number of small handy things from about his person (even if stripped naked! (Don't ask!!)) and once per session he can re-roll a failure involving grace, dexterity or quick reflexes.

If you are unsure about your Keys or Secrets please do ask about them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Lastly...whew!!

XP

When you hit a Key you can either take an XP point or you can add a die to your pool die (to a max of 10). As standard I will assume you wish to take XP. Please let me know if you'd rather the pool die at any time.

When you have 5 XP saved up you can do one of the following:

# Add a new Trait based on something you learned in game or some past experience revealed during play
# Add a Tag to an existing trait
# Add a new Key (never the same one twice)
# Learn a Secret if you have the means to

You can hold on to the XP and spend them any time - even during battle - if you wish to.

Helping Others

You are able to help your friends by giving them one of your pool die. You need to be in a position where you can aid them in what they are doing. Say what your character does to help.

Eg: Naomi sees that Kale is trying to lift some heavy machinery and goes to help. She can give him a pool dice to use for his roll. If the roll fails you get your dice back. If it succeeds you lose that die (until a refresh scene)

Statuses

During the game you may gain one or more of the following status: Injured, Dead, Tired, Angry, Lost, Hunted, Trapped (dead doesn't mean you're out of the game, it could just be that you have been put into a medical coma for example)

If you get one of these I will explain what affect it has on you and how long it is likely to last.

Refresher Scenes

At certain points in the game, when a natural break occurs, I will call for a Refresher Scene. You may also call for one at ANY TIME. A refresh scene involves you and at least one other player and is a time when you talk and reminisce. It might be that Kale asks Naomi how she came to be a pit-fighter, or Snargle could be telling the tale of how he came to be the Owl's pilot. Ask questions of each other and tell stories of your life.

Doing so gains you back your Pool Dice!!! You can also lose one condition or regain the use of a secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
And Last Lastly! heheeh

The dice roller.

Quote:
So using our example Kale would get one dice (for being alive) plus one dice for Burglar and then gets another three dice for using the tags sneak, dexterous, locks. He decides to also use two pool dice to boost his die rolling. So 1+1+3+2 = 7 (d6) dice.

So Kale rolls 7 dice. He wants a number of successes equal or more than the difficulty.

So you've worked out how many dice you are rolling, and you know your difficulty (3 unless otherwise specified or unless you chose to make it harder due to your own narration).

Above this writing box on the right is a button marked "Roll". Clicking this brings up a box with a number of dice choices, a box for the dice roll algorithm and a comments box.

Because we want our dice to be either Success or Fail we use the following format in the "Roll" box:

#custom2{0;1}

Where # is the number of dice to roll. So Kales' example above would be inputted as 7custom2{0;1} - Be sure to use Curly brackets!!

Kales roll 7custom2{0;1} = (0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 1) = 2

This dice roll will then appear in your text at the last pointer position and will look like this: [ geekroll=237597][ /geekroll] (but without the spaces inside the brackets)

You will not see the result of your roll until you "Submit" your post (not even on Preview).

So you would narrate up to the point when you are about to do something that requires a roll, add in the geek roll then press "Submit" to post the message. Look at the result and see if you succeeded at your task or not. In this case Kale failed. You can then edit your post and carry on with the narrative taking into consideration the dice result. So here I would write into Kales' story that one of the guards heard something and caught Kale trying to pick the lock and prompty reached his hand through the bars, wrapped his massive hand around Kales and prompty squeezed so hard something went Pop!. If I'd got a 3 Kale would have just about managed to pick the lock with some trouble and if I'd got 6 or 7 successes Kale would have very easily and quickly picked the lock. You get the picture!

With ALL dice rolls please indicate how you came to roll that many dice either in the story or at the end of the post and do so using a grey pen: [ color=#gray]Roll for.....[ /color]

EG: Roll for the next bit: 1 + Burglar + Sneak + Dexterous + Locks + 2 Pool Kales roll 7custom2{0;1} = (0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 1) = 2 3 success on difficulty 3.

One last thing with dice rolls: I trust you lot not to cheat, but just in case - notice that attached to the bottom of this post is a "+ Dice Rolls" drop down. Click the + to reveal a record of all dice rolls made and can not be fudged. So if you roll three times but only post the third one to the story I can check and see that your first two rolls actually failed and I will use that first roll and also tell you off
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 237597. Bifford
  • 7custom2{0;1} =
  • (0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 1) =
  • Kales roll
  • Sun Jan 6, 2013 10:54 pm
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

That's the wall of text over with! So who is your GM?

Greetings all!

My name is Sam, or Bifford. I don't mind which. Lets see....I hit 34 in March, I'm a husband and a dad to a one year old girl (Poppy) and moved to Wiltshire from Essex (England) a year and a half ago.

I am a photographer by trade, trying to get into adult education. I've been into computers since my age was in double figures. That started with an Amstrad CPC 464, progressed to an Amiga 500, 600, 1200 and 4000 - the last two of which were heavily expanded with the A4k being worth several grand now. I then bought a "modern day" Amiga - a Pegasos running MorphOS. Favourite game had to be Frontier Elite, and last month I discovered that Frontierangerous was on Kickstarter so I pledged to get that funded and in 2014 I get to be a space cadet again flying around in space!

RPG and LARP go hand in hand for me and I've been doing them since 2000 thereabouts. I ran my first game (White Wolfs' Exalted) in 2004 and now run my own rpg group (because I moved away from my previous group).

I have played in Lady Blackbird here and I have GM'd a game with my F2F (Face to Face) group and also with another group on another website. I've also Gm'd other games but Lady Blackbird is a nice easy game and i enjoy it I hope you all do too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome on board players!

You will get to chose your character based on sign-up order (feel free to try to persuade someone to change if you really really want to play that character!!

Please introduce yourselves and start asking any questions you have!

First up is Sean / galley_slave who has chosen to play Naomi.
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools

Followed by Stephen / Legandir who will play Kale.
Stephen Caffrey
Ireland
Meath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Followed by Paul / MichMedia who will be playing Snargle.
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb

Followed by Kenneth / wizcreations who will be playing Cyrus.
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

And lastly Rich / Orklord who will play Lady Blackbird.
Rich Rogers
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome all

Please all introduce yourselves and ask any questions you might have. If you could also let me know what timezone you are in and how that compares to the UK it would be helpful so I can get to know when each of you is likely to log on and reply!

Sam / Bifford
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and be sure to subscribe to both the OOC and IC thread (see first post here).

So where is everyone???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Caffrey
Ireland
Meath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Stephen/Legandir/Kale Arkam and I'm 26. I'm fairly new to RPGs, not just PBF RPGs. I've been trying to get into it for a long time with not much luck but a few one-shots have recently given me more incentive to get into RPGs properly.

I'm in Ireland so I'm GMT. My character colour will be green because I'm Kale (PUN! )

One question I had; One of my powers says it can be used once per session, how does a session translate to PBF? From what I've heard one normal F2F session is roughly equal to 3-4 months PBF. Does that mean I can use the power once in the 3-4 month period we're playing this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh yeah, I forgot to explain sessions

Due to this being a forum game a session will end at a natural break. So generally the first session break, and therefore the first proper Refresh scene, will be once you are on board the Owl again and safely away from the Hand of Sorrow.

After that it all depends where you go and what you do

There is the possibility that you could force a scene-break and have a refresh before being on the Owl, but it would be darned hard to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
Greetings, friends. My name is Sean, and I'll be playing the psychotic, ex-pit fighter/slave body guarding Natasha.

I've been playing RPGs for nigh on 30 years now. I've tasted LB twice, but on each occasion, the game died before we escaped the cells.

I am trusting in Sam to get us further.

I've played a lot of PBF on a different site, but RPGGeek is very new to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
Sam, I am sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to colour my spoken text on this site.

Also: do you like green eggs and ham, Sam I Am?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone! I'm Paul, I'm 31 and well-versed in video game RPGs but quite inexperienced when it comes to this kind. I have tried F2F D&D a couple of times but the bookkeeping killed some of the joy for me, I think. That, and sessions were a large time commitment, which I'm hoping PbF at least will alleviate.

I'm on EST (GMT-5) here in Michigan, and the only large, uninterrupted block of time I can count on is when our daughter (3 years) is asleep at night. So this is when I'll typically be posting, between 11pm and 1am, EST. (Nap time is another block, but smaller and variably defined.)

snore

Stephen snagged my favorite color, so I guess I'll use orange for Snargle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galley_slave wrote:
Sam, I am sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to colour my spoken text on this site.
I've been using the [ color=whatever ]text[ /color ] tags (remove spaces), but that's tough to type out on a tablet; is there an easier way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
Ok, great. Thanks Paul.

I'll claim Blue for Naomi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The All Father
Australia
flag msg tools
Sorry, I have transgressed:

I am 41, with a one year old toddler. Live in Brisbane (Australia) with I beleive is GMT +10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

So it seems we have a crew who is mostly used to playing in or at least know the rules to Lady Blackbird (hereafter LB or Lady B) which is kind of cool! And helpful too as you are all wide awake while I'm at my zzzzz's!

Sean - basically, for the most part, take the code you know from the other site and substitute the < > for [ ]. Some codewords are different but the most basic ones like italics and bold remain the same but are [ b ] rather than < b >

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Well to be honest, I havn't a clue how that will work out! I've not read all that much first person writing so it'll be new to me. I say go for it and we'll see how it goes.

Basically as long as the other players are comfortable and can understand what you are getting at then I am happy to run with it I think it will soon become apparent as to whether it works or not.

Thanks for asking and giving an example!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey everyone, you probably didn't know that Cyrus's favorite color is purple. In fact, he loves that color so much that even his words are purple! (I hope that isn't some side effect of motion sickness.)

This is the first time I've ever played an RPG, so please bear with me. It may take me a little while to get started. I'm going to try to play from work, so hopefully this isn't as fast moving as the WereWolf PbF.

I am in timezone GMT -5 (US Eastern).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Image is broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Still no image. Are you linking from outside the site or have you done "upload geek image".

Oh, and Stephen - don't think I'm giving Kale an easy out with that guard LMAO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Caffrey
Ireland
Meath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It works if you right click and open in a new tab.

Bifford wrote:
Oh, and Stephen - don't think I'm giving Kale an easy out with that guard LMAO

It was worth a shot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not entirely sure I understand BUYOFF. After I hit my Key, I can choose to BUYOFF said key by performing the indicated action, which will then get me a new key that may completely change my character's motivations?

What do we consider a Session? (for secrets and whatnot)

Sam/Bifford, if I get behind please step in and make my action for me. I'm going to try to keep up but it may be difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Ooh yeah, I forgot to explain sessions

Due to this being a forum game a session will end at a natural break. So generally the first session break, and therefore the first proper Refresh scene, will be once you are on board the Owl again and safely away from the Hand of Sorrow.
Oh, there's one answer I needed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] |