Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
swlives wrote:

I should also note that if I count correctly, I've should have 2 dice in my pool. Started with 7. Spent 2 to successfully bluff MaacWeyr, bringing the total to 5. Spent none on my attempt to tackle the table, which failed miserably, bringing the total up to 6. Spent 4 on the knee kicking, bringing the total back down to 2.

I'm afraid you don't gain a pool dice for failing..you just don't lose any. You may be getting a tad confused by the fact that I mentioned that once you fail the next time you try the *same thing* again it could well be a degree harder to do.

Quote:
BTW, very glad to have our new players aboard and to resume the game. Thanks!

I agree Full steam (pun intended lol) ahead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agreed twice over! I think I've got the hang of this now.... (hence why Ive posted again).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dan - nice result.

You quoted yourself rolling:

Quote:
[fast]+[coiled]+[strong]+[defend]+[awareness]+[3 pool] = 8custom2{0;1} = 7

I didn't realise people were still unsure how the mechanics work, and that's my fault.

So firstly: You get 1 dece for being alive.
Then you chose a Trait to work from. Just one (you havn't chosen one).
Then you chose any Tags that apply under that Trait and only from that trait.

In your above roll you have left out the alive and the trait sections and then you've taken tags from lot of different traits (fast = pit fighter; coiled = keen; strong = pit fighter; defend = bodyguard; awareness = bodyguard). Also Strong is still currently shown withing [ ] brackets on your character profile, which means you currently do not have that tag - these are [tag] are ones you can buy using upgrades.

So, for the post you last did your actual roll would need to be something like:

Alive + Trait + Tags associated with Trait + Dice pool =
Alive + Pit-Fighter + Combat Tested + Brutal + Fast + Hard + Dice pool (2) = 8 dice.

So actually you are one pool dice better off because of this. You only used two pool to get your 8 dice to roll.

I hope that is now clear you yourself and the others who are still a bit unsure of the rolling??

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
And so, on to the result of the roll. You needed a 3 to succeed. You got 7. This is a SUPERB success.

Therefore you can narrate whatever effect you want effectively. The cuffs take the guy out by hitting him in the head, but maybe in doing so the gun goes flying and skitters along the floor straight to Cyrus's feet? That would be my choice, but it is up to you

Edit: You could even kill him with that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Aaaaaaaaah ok. Yes that all makes sense now, especially having it explained using those steps. Cheers Sam.

Sorry it seems to have taken me much longer than usual to figure this out, it's the first time I've ever used a system that is based off "successes and fails".

Is it up to me to keep my character sheet updated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
colliered wrote:
Aaaaaaaaah ok. Yes that all makes sense now, especially having it explained using those steps. Thank you.

Sorry it seems to have taken me much longer than usual to figure this out, it's the first time I've ever used a system that is based off "successes and fails".

It's a learning curve, I grant you As is being able to narrate (to a certain extent) the direction of the plot!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
colliered wrote:
Aaaaaaaaah ok. Yes that all makes sense now, especially having it explained using those steps. Thank you.

It's a learning curve, I grant you As is being able to narrate (to a certain extent) the direction of the plot!!

Awesome. I assume the best way to update after a roll is to just edit the original post with the results? (As this is what I just did.. but happy to post it in a new post if needed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you edit the dice explanation to show the above roll too please! And are you sure you don't want to be a bit more flowery with the result? (ie have him fall down dead or something)??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
colliered wrote:

Awesome. I assume the best way to update after a roll is to just edit the original post with the results? (As this is what I just did.. but happy to post it in a new post if needed).

Write, add roll, post.
Edit, write more according to roll result, (add another dice roll if needed), post.
(if another dice roll was added: edit, write more, post.)

So yes, edit the post.
If you ever do a Major update, or take some time between edits its usually a good idea to drop a post in here to say "i've just done a big edit to my last post...." to let people know they need to re-read the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Can you edit the dice explanation to show the above roll too please! And are you sure you don't want to be a bit more flowery with the result? (ie have him fall down dead or something)??

Edited for you! Also I thought about making it more flowery... but I figured that handcuffs to the face may knock him out, but wouldn't kill him. I have something planned for further on in the scene to deal with that, once others have had a chance to post

Is that ok?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that's cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of keys hit by everyone except Lady Blackbird in those last few posts. Now we need LB to do something awesome to up her XP a bit too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea if I make anybody laugh, so feel free to let me know if I hit or accidentally buy off my key of banter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Miller
United States
Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Bifford wrote:

I'm afraid you don't gain a pool dice for failing..you just don't lose any. You may be getting a tad confused by the fact that I mentioned that once you fail the next time you try the *same thing* again it could well be a degree harder to do.

Sorry. Didn't notice that you were running a variant. On every character sheet in the PDF, it says (emphasis in original):

Quote:

If you don’t pass, you don’t yet achieve your goal. But, you get to keep
the pool dice you rolled and add another die to your pool. The GM will
escalate the situation in some way and you might be able to try again.

I've got a nasty day ahead of me, but will try to catch up with everyone's posts tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
swlives wrote:
Bifford wrote:

Sorry. Didn't notice that you were running a variant. On every character sheet in the PDF, it says (emphasis in original):

Quote:

If you don’t pass, you don’t yet achieve your goal. But, you get to keep
the pool dice you rolled and add another die to your pool. The GM will
escalate the situation in some way and you might be able to try again.

I've got a nasty day ahead of me, but will try to catch up with everyone's posts tonight.

Ahhh, yes, *that* rule. It's not so much a variant as *my* interpretation of a very vague rule. Read it as follows:

"You make a roll using 2 pool dice. You fail. You do not lose those two pool dice.
You may, if you wish, re-try the exact same roll but can add an extra pool dice, so this time you are using 3 pool dice. The GM may increase the difficulty of the re-try if he wishes."

I may be wrong in my interpretation, however I am not sure I am - think on it this way. You all start with 7 pool dice. You can have a maximum of 10 pool dice. All it takes is 3 failed dice rolls (which theoretically you could try to make happen by not adding in enough pool dice to stand a good chance of succeeding) and you have your maximum 10 pool dice, without having to work for them through upgrades.

Feel free to discuss! But as I say, it is a vague rule so I interpreted it in my best-guess way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
John:

jmcampbell wrote:

Not sure if I even need to roll, but: 1 + Goblin + warp shape + quick + agile + tumbler jmcampbell previously rolled 6custom2{0;1} = (0 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0) = 2

Dice hate me. They really do.

"Gah, this stupid uniform! I can't warp for nothing and they have NO peripheral vision whatsoever. Who invented these stupid things?"

Did you see my OOC comment and roll at the top of the next post? I mentioned you'd missed off the dark-vision tag so rolled an extra 1 for you. Your 2 was a success anyway as that sort of thing is natural for you. So the 3 successes puts you above your required goal. Feel free to edit your post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
CrimsonFox wrote:

"Freiotwinlargomax! KUWINDOBLEUNON!" she utters and twists her wrists forward conjuring forth a galeforce wind forward at the guards.

Spellbcaster + Channeling + Stormblood + Wind + Blast
I still really have no idea what I'm doing statwise as I still don't understand this at all. Watching you guys roll dice is like reading a foreign language . May I just RP and let you take care of the rolls?

I would rather you learnt the rolls as it will speed things up. I apologize that you are unsure what you are doing with these rolls - that's my failing (and you were not the only one).

I made a post near the top of this current page that details the rolls - you may have missed it? But I shall summarise using your current situation as I think that will help you:

First up, you get one dice for being "Alive".
Then you chose one of your listed Traits. in this case "Master Sorcerer".
Then you chose whichever Tags, from that single trait, is appropriate and list those (write them into your roleplay too if possible). Tags surrounded by [brackets] have not yet been bought so can not be used (so your 'Blast' above is invalid)
Then add pool dice as you see fit.

If you have a good idea of what the situation currently is you can mention what you think the difficulty should be if I have not already done so.
2=Easy; 3=standard (Difficult); 4=challenging; 5=extreme.

So in this situation, with the lights having just gone out, your narration saying you were looking at Kale when the darkness hit then *turned around* back to where you *think* the guards are, the difficulty is 4.

Also, bear in mind that Cyrus is in pretty much the same place as the guards, so your wind is going to hit him too.

Anyway. Using the narration from your post your roll would be written thus:

Alive + Master Sorcerer + Spellcaster + Channeling + Stormblood + Wind + Any pool dice you want to use (You have 4 currently available)

So without the pool dice you would hit the "Roll" button and type in to the first box:
6custom2{0;1}

There's a 50% chance of successful rolls on each dice, so using six dice you are most likely to get 3 successes. With a difficulty of 4 you would want to up your chances so I would add 2 pool dice making it 8custom2{0;1} giving you a 50% chance of getting 4 successes.

If you add pool dice then that six becomes a 7,8,9 or 10.

If you fail at your roll you keep your pool dice, if you succeed they are gone until you take part in a refresher scene.

Capiche?

So for example:
Example roll without any pool dice 6custom2{0;1} = (1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1) = 3
(click on the number there to expand the roll)
And without those pool dice and using this roll you would have failed, just.

If I add the 2 pool dice then:
2nd example, this time with 2 pool dice making my total 8 dice. 8custom2{0;1} = (1 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 1) = 6
And this time I romp it home with 6 successes which means you are 2 over the required target so can narrate a very good (but not excellent) success into my post.

I hope that helps. If you are still unsure please just say and I'll do my best to explain further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 319504. Bifford
  • 6custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1) =
  • Example roll without any pool dice
  • Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:32 am
  • [+]
  • 319505. Bifford
  • 8custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 1 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 1) =
  • 2nd example, this time with 2 pool dice making my total 8 dice.
  • Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:36 am
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmmm okay alive + trait + tags (SC, Ch, SB, Wnd) = 6

6custom2{0;1}
I got the 6 sure. what's the 2 about? the 2 after custom.
Or is it just the label "custom2"? and what's the {0;1}? Is that just reandom number generation between zero and 1 or is it a cumulative binary addition?

okay so the pools are redreshable in the next scene okay that's cool.

I won't argue bigtime about the difficulty as you're GM. I was originally thinking REGULAR for the difficulty since we're just in a room, I can turn to look at kale without moving and then turn back. Granted I don't know if the badguys have moved but orienting myself back to my original poosition doesn't seem THAT hard but I"ll go with whatever ruling you make as you are gm. And sure my exact facing of the wind won't be known true....but it IS just wind and just blows on that side of the room. I think that's why I was thinking it would be easier (as opposed to like trying to hit someone with a damage spell or missile or something)

Let me know if my thinking is off on any of this. Just going through my thought process to see if I'm thinking about this game right so I can start posting properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okay i think I did everything right. 8custom2{0;1} including the 2 pool. So after all that I still only got a 2.

And people wonder why I don't like games with dice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
CrimsonFox wrote:
hmmmm okay alive + trait + tags (SC, Ch, SB, Wnd) = 6

6custom2{0;1}
I got the 6 sure. what's the 2 about? the 2 after custom.
Or is it just the label "custom2"? and what's the {0;1}? Is that just reandom number generation between zero and 1 or is it a cumulative binary addition?

the custom2{0;1} is the dice mechanics - thats your way of telling the system you want to have one of two outcomes, either a 0 (fail) ore a 1 (succeed). Obviously the number before is how many of those rolls to do.

Quote:
okay so the pools are redreshable in the next scene okay that's cool.

I won't argue bigtime about the difficulty as you're GM. I was originally thinking REGULAR for the difficulty since we're just in a room, I can turn to look at kale without moving and then turn back. Granted I don't know if the badguys have moved but orienting myself back to my original poosition doesn't seem THAT hard but I"ll go with whatever ruling you make as you are gm. And sure my exact facing of the wind won't be known true....but it IS just wind and just blows on that side of the room. I think that's why I was thinking it would be easier (as opposed to like trying to hit someone with a damage spell or missile or something)

Ever been looking one way, turned, had the lights go out on you then tried to pinpoint your previous target? Tis not as easy as it sounds! (could be a game in The Cube! ) Plus there's the surprise and disorientation factor of the sudden darkness to take on board. I based my target on everything put together including the actual summoning of wind but also the *control* of said wind.

Quote:
Let me know if my thinking is off on any of this. Just going through my thought process to see if I'm thinking about this game right so I can start posting properly.

I think you are right on the money with everything so far. I would also ask you to write the traits/tags in full rather than just two letters (I'm easily confused!!!) Sorry to be a total pain with that, it just helps with clarity and my small brain lol.

With all things in my games - if you disagree with anything (like the difficulty level) ALWAYS feel free to speak up and say your opinions. Same if there's any problems.

As to your failed roll - do you want the spell to simply not go off, or to go off with no control doing untold mayhem??? And either you can narrate it or I can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAYHEM PLEASE!!!!! Go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
CrimsonFox wrote:
MAYHEM PLEASE!!!!! Go for it!

You asked for it lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seriously I think LBB is pissed and uptight enough just to let it fly consequences be damned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge