Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. Sorry for the silence...been moving home and then was at a LARP the past two nights. Back now though

If I forget to answer any question please point it out and ask it again

Firstly, I would never expect you to write the same as someone else, but if you can at least try to keep the characters similar to how they are already portrayed that would be good. Obviously time can change a person so feel free to "evolve"

Length of posts can be as short or as long as you like. As long as they further the story in some way.

Until now I gave the players more "free reign" to tell the story than normal for Lady Blackbird. I thought it would make things more interesting and unique. The other game asked me to take more of a traditional GM role which I am now doing and they seem happy, so I will do this here too. I will scene set much more than previous - carry on playing NPCs as I have been - and point things in certain directions much more.

As for narrating other peoples part - this has already been replied about and explained by the others. Around a table in face to face play you naturally would not say what another player does or says, but in pbf that can really slow things down. *MINOR* things, such as "Cyrus looked surprised by Kale's words" can be said by Kale. Larger more involved things certainly can not. So "Cyrus looked surprised at Kale's words and for once actually took orders from his first mate, heading off to do as he was told." would be going too far. Cyrus himself would need to post that reaction.

NPCs you can control to a degree also (with more flexibility also, so feel free to narrate them doing/saying things - as long as it furthers the scene.

Basically you can take control, steer the story but I shall be doing the same especially with the larger things.

I hope that answered everything! But feel free to ask more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Perfect. I'll try and get my first post up today or tomorrow so we can get moving once more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Hamilton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we soon going to start back up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I know we are missing a Snargle but I've been ready to GM for you all for agges lol. So whenever you want to crack on just say (we can work without Snargle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you make us a little scene to get started in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Expect an update tonight...it's too cold for me to think and write straight at work.

oh, and welcome our new Snargle:

Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now can you help me with any potential dicerolling needed for my post? I obviously am making somewhat of a diplomacy, leadership, royalty, persuasion, bluff, charisma type of thing.

I guess I need to make dice rolls but what kind?

And I assume you are going to handle the similar rolls for badguys in similar fashion.

And how do I cast spells? Is it possibly to do so with limited movement? Thoughts? Simple voice commands?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll need to help you with this tomorrow as I'm shattered now.

But if you want to think about things yourself then:

1 dice for being Alive + Trait + any number of tags from the trait + any pool die you want to use.

Difficulty is standard 3 for this situation.

As for spells - they are what you make of them! make them as natural or hard, as fluid or static as you like! Verbal, semantic...you chose!
Put yourself in your characters place....you have noble blood.....etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everybody,
Happy to be here and be your new Snargle.
Thank you for having me, I aim to hammer the Key of Banter as hard and as often as possible. Interesting that your Snargle is a female.
Guess I'll have to lose my avatar's goatee, eh?

Anyways, let's give these dice a chance to screw me up.
Snargle walks up to a group of Imperial Crewmen.
"Oy there, what you all lolligagging about then? don't you know we need fresh iridium to power the somaflange reduction spanner to keep up the main yard arm? Hop to it, eh?"

1+Sly+crafty+bluff+tradespeak 5custom2{0;1} = (0 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 0) = 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 314682. jmcampbell
  • 5custom2{0;1} =
  • (0 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 0) =
  • Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:08 am
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha Fail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can help with this one, Crimsonfox.

It's a horribly simple answer, but you cast spells how you say you cast spells. how do you think an Imperial noble and master sorcerer would cast spells? If you think she uses lots of big flashy hand gestures and words of conjuration, she does. If you think it's more subtle, then it is. Just keep true to what you know about the character based on your keys and the fiction you've created for her.

Quote:

Traits:

Imperial Noble
Etiquette, Dance, Educated, History, Science, Wealth, Connections, House Blackbird

Master Sorcerer
Spellcaster, Channeling, Stormblood, Wind, Lightning [Fly], [Blast], [Sense]

Athletic
Run, Fencing, Rapier, Duels, Shooting, [Pistol], [Acrobatics]

Charm
Charisma, Presence, Command, Nobles, Servants, [Soldiers]

Cunning
Deception, Misdirection, Disguise, Codes, [Sneak], [Hide]

Lady Blackbird as a tabletop game uses d6, but really it's only 1-3 fail 4-6 success, so it's a 50/50!shot. Read the first few posts you'll see what you put in the roll window is #custom2{0;1} this means you're going to roll some number of 2 sided dice 0 being a failure, 1 being a success.

How do you decide how many dice? Let the fiction lead you and pick from your traits and tags under that trait.

So, if you want to order around these soldiers, you would probably choose charm.
So building a pool, you get one die "for being alive", one for the trait you chose and one for each tag, so look at the tags for charm. You have charisma, and presence so add 2 dice there. You are trying to command him to do something, so add command. He's not a noble or a servant, and you haven't purchased soldiers yet. (That's what the [] brackets mean.) so none of those apply. You also have a pool of 7 bonus dice that you can add, but if you succeed, you lose those dice.

So add it all up. You get 1 "for being alive" + charm, + charisma + presence+ command. So 5 dice, unless you want to add pool dice. So you would put in the roll box 5custom2{0;1}.

spells are the same way, just pick relevant tags, which will usually be 1+sorcerer + spellcaster + channeling + stormblood plus one of the other spell tags.

Is that clear... as mud?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's all perfect! Than you (I know you were talking to someone else, but it's enlightened me as well. If I had geekgold to give I would)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I was crap there....between being totally tired (2 hour drive to work this week and getting the new house up to scratch) and forgetting to answer that question I hang my head in shame :/ lol

Thank you John! I shall give you the geekgold instead of the players!

Any other questions just ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And just to add a bit more about Pool Dice.

I said you can add pool dice to your roll. How do you add pool dice? just say so.

If you have something you need to make sure gets done, take dice and add them to your roll. So if you absolutely need to cast your lightning spell.

You normally roll 1+sorcerer + spellcaster + channeling + stormblood + lightning, but since you REALLY need this spell to work, you'll add some pool dice. Lady blackbird currently has a dice pool of 4.

(Look at your character sheet, towards the bottom. Looks like Lady Blackbird has done a few things already.)

You can add any number of pool dice up to how many you have to any roll.
so if this Lightning spell is ridiculously important, you could add all 4 pool dice for a roll of 10custom2{0;1}(1 + sorcerer + spellcaster + channeling + stormblood + lightning + 4 pool dice) meaning 10 dice.

And the really cool thing? If that roll still fails, those 4 dice go back to your pool, fate wasn't on your side this time, but will be in the future.

Now the down side. If you succeed, those dice go away. your pool would be 0. But, you can get more dice into your pool, by hitting your key or by doing a refresher scene.

A refresher scene is like the downtime in an action movie. You tell about an event that happened in your past, or have a personal conversation that reveals more about your character. then tada, the pool goes back to 7 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keys are basically your roleplaying cues.

Let's look at Lady Blackbird again.

Quote:
Key of the Paragon
As a noble, you're a cut above the common man.
Hit your key when you demonstrate your superiority or when your noble traits overcome a problem.
BUYOFF: Disown your noble heritage.

Key of the Mission
You must escape the Empire and rendezvous with your once secret lover, the Pirate King Uriah Flint, whom you havn't seen in six years.
Hit your key when you take action to complete the mission.
BUYOFF: Give up on your mission.

Key of the Imposter
You are in disguise, passing yourself off as a commoner.
Hit your key when you perform well enough to fool someone with your disguise.

BUYOFF: Reveal your true identity to someone you fooled.

So, whenever you act like a noble or do something that keeps you towards getting back with Uriah, you can get either an xp or add a die to your pool dice up to 10 dice total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So to ask about the keys.... if you do something that causes you to act ike you should according to your key.. you gain a pool dice back? If you do something to buyoff the key.. you can no longer "hit" it but gain some xp?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
colliered wrote:
So to ask about the keys.... if you do something that causes you to act ike you should according to your key.. you gain a pool dice back? If you do something to buyoff the key.. you can no longer "hit" it but gain some xp?

Not quite, you don't gain the pool dice back. You can either gain 1XP to store up in order to buy something new (more in a second) or you can gain an EXTRA pool dice (up to 10 total - you start with 7). If you go into danger because of your key you gain 2XP or 2 new pool dice or one of each.

When you have 5xp you can buy one of a few new things: a new tag (in a trait), a new trait, a new key, a new secret (if available - these are hard to get).

and if you meet the "buyoff" requirements you can *choose* to buy off that key (as Lady Blackbird did with the Imposter) and then you get to chose a new key and another advancement.

All of this was explained at the start of the OOC but I am happy for us to go through it again clariffying things...there's a lot to read so it might be good to rehash stuff people are unsure of here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was actually a mistake on my part. I was mixing up xp and advances.

When you hit a key you can gain an xp or a pool die. When you buyoff a key, you gain 2 advances, which is like 10 xp.

I'll just quote from the Lady blackbird rules, it explains it better than I am.
Lady Blackbird Rules wrote:

Keys
When you hit a Key, you can do one of two things:
❖ Take an experience point(XP)
❖ Add a die to your pool (up to a max of 10)

If you go into danger because of your key, you get 2 XP or 2 pool dice
(or 1 XP and 1 pool die). When you have accumulated 5 XP, you earn an
advance. You can spend an advance on one of the following:
❖ Add a new Trait (based on something you learned during play or
on some past experience that has come to light)
❖ Add a tag to an existing trait
❖ Add a new Key (you can never have the same key twice)
❖ Learn a Secret (if you have the means to)

You can hold on to advances if you want, and spend them at any time,
even in the middle of a battle!
Each key also has a buyoff. If the buyoff condition occurs, you have the option of removing the Key and earning two advances
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Vance - leg kicks a success on three (target a three so only just a success - take that into account in your edit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Miller
United States
Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
So, is my three successes enough for Cyrus to knock two guards off-balance and get my hands on their guns? I'd normally say "yes" but after a month and a half of downtime, I'm going to defer to GM judgment.

Also, with my "Key of the Commander" if Naomi Bishop tries to "hit 'em high" or Kale Arkam tries to use his Dark Spell, the first one who fails can automatically reroll the failure.

EDIT: Yeah, I meant "Secret of Leadership" gets others a reroll. "Key of the Commander" is what gets me xp for giving the orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
The guns are in the debris somewhere. So no on that front, but the guards do go down.

Thats a good use of the secret, yup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Miller
United States
Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
That makes a lot of sense. I've posted the results of my action, and will wait for some other players to go before I make a roll to get the guns. Maybe one of them will disarm one of the guards (hint, hint) and that'll help lower my difficulty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
hehe. Just as a FYI....it's usually easier and neater to edit your original post to update that one after the roll.

It's not so bad if you're just doing the one thing and a result...but if you do two consecutive rolls then 3+ posts from the same person can get a bit messy.

write, add roll, post.
see result, edit post, write.
(if need be add roll), post.
(if added roll check, edit, write, post) (etc)

If it's a major edit, or the edit is a while after you did the initial post its also a good idea just to drop a post into the OOC area to say "major update to my last post...sorry for the delay between roll and edit". or somesuch - lets people know to re-check the last IC post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify - if Naomi or Kale follow Cyrus' orders but fail their roll (standard 3 difficulty currently) then the first fail can be re-rolled. Please leave both rolls in the post and do an OOC comment between them inciting Secret of Leadership.

Ie:

Roll one result # (fail)
Secret of LEadership to re-roll
Roll two result # (hopefully succeed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Miller
United States
Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Sorry about the formatting thing. Rusty. Fixed.

Bifford wrote:
Just to clarify - if Naomi or Kale follow Cyrus' orders but fail their roll (standard 3 difficulty currently) then the first fail can be re-rolled. Please leave both rolls in the post and do an OOC comment between them inciting Secret of Leadership.

...and if you did an in-fiction bit about how Vance's brilliant orders gave you the motivation to carry on in the face of certain defeat, you would feed your captain's ego and I'd give you a gold star.

I should also note that if I count correctly, I've should have 2 dice in my pool. Started with 7. Spent 2 to successfully bluff MaacWeyr, bringing the total to 5. Spent none on my attempt to tackle the table, which failed miserably, bringing the total up to 6. Spent 4 on the knee kicking, bringing the total back down to 2.

Of those 2, I'll also grant 1 to help anyone on any roll in this this scene. If you want it, feel free to claim it and describe how something Captain Vance has done is helpful to what you're trying to do at the moment. Or embellish Vance's frantic rooting through the debris in a way that helps you out.

And if anyone want to help me get a gun or two, I'd appreciate it. My die pool is awful in unarmed combat!

BTW, very glad to have our new players aboard and to resume the game. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10  Next »  [11] |