Subject: Bifford's Lady Blackbird OOC Game A - Newbie Initiative 2013 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Newbie [+] 2013-RPG-Newbie-Initiative [+] [View All]
Heather Hamilton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was TOO funny! I guess they just don't make tables the way they used to....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything alright with everyone? We seem to have hit a bit of a down-time.

If you are unsure what to post IC feel free to ask for help and advice in here (or pm me).

I hope everyone is enjoying the game so far?
Any concerns please do bring them to the fore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Hamilton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am enjoying! I was just waiting on others to post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Miller
United States
Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I didn't want to hog the spotlight and post right after making a fool out of myself.

...I mean "making a fool out of my character. Yeah, that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
I have sent a PM to the other 3 players as they have not posted in a while.

Their last log ons were the 9th, the 3rd and the 13th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, please bear with the game (and me) a bit longer, I'm still waiting on some replies then will see where we stand!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Hamilton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem! Thanks for not giving up on us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay guys, please welcome

Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as Lady Blackbird.

and
Dan Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
as Naomi.

Please introduce yourselves lads and take time to read through the First page of this OOC thread (you can skim read for now and read it more thoroughly later as needed). Also feel free to ask questions!

Also read all the IC posts - especially noting your own characters posts. So for Natasha (LB) that is Dave's posts and for Naomi that is Aaron's.

Also, Natasha has hit and bought off her Key of the Imposter as everyone here now knows who she really is. You have Two advances to spend CrimsonFox. Also a new key is required. But worry about both those things later once you're settled in - neither are important right now.

Welcome on board!

Sam / Bifford

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey there! Just thought I'd introduce myself quickly.

First time playing this system, so apologies in advance if it takes me a little bit to settle in. However I hope my rp makes up for my gaps in knowledge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Miller
United States
Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Welcome aboard, folks! This is your captain speaking.

I'll be out of town at a game convention (Dreamation in Morristown, New Jersey) this weekend. I'll check back on Monday. Hopefully someone will have helped Cyrus Vance out of his embarrassing predicament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
This should help speed stuff up for everyone:

parrais wrote:
For anyone who's been struggling with [color] tags to get OOC text to show up in a different shade, be aware that there is now an [ooc] tag!

Text in this tag will be rendered in grey, so

[ooc]This text is out of character[/ooc]

becomes

This text is out of character

I hope this saves a few seconds for people!

Original request thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heyhey! Playing Lady Blackbird. Sounds awesome. I'll be catching up on things this weekend! Bifford, on Monday can you kind of jumpstart things in IC by giving us the setup of where we are and what we're doing and such? Kind of start a fresh scene for us from where things were before? Might be easier than taking over something that was in midstream that was cut off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
That is certainly possible. I've a manic day Monday+Tuesday as I am moving home Tuesday and then need to make kit for my LARP event on the Friday - so you can expect that post to actually go up late Sunday.

If your GM goes AWOL for a few days after please bare with me but I will use my phone to check in during my breaks!

Oh, and I've not heard back from Snargle so I'm going to open that spot up now too. Personal life has taken hold so the lass is a bit busy I think. Shame!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no worries. I don't mind waiting til midnext week either. Although if you post a scene for us, we could just do some random RP amonfst ourselves to warm up until you are truly ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Hamilton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys! Welcome. I too am new, not only to the forums but to Lady Blackbird. So far it has been a load of fun.
It is certainly a different style and I am still adapting to it as well.
We can all learn together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anyone happen to have a website I could have a quick read up on the rules at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
First page of the OOC thread, second post, has the link to the website and therefore the Free pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You're awesome, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
How are we all doing folks?

I've not got a replacement for snargle yet, but please feel free to carry on without.

Any rules need clarifying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good! I've read the pdf and it all seems straight forward.. not a clue how to work the dice roll system to only tell you how many successes I got though, rather than rolling a ton of d6 and adding the over 4's up myself.

Question as well - Do you want me to keep the posting style exactly the same? Or can I change it so long as the character continues to act in a similar manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still here! I've read through the game IC thread and am slightly confused. I see some very long posts in it. It doesn't seem like as much of a D&D type setting where DM describes and we react. It seems like players are deciding where parts of the story goes. The fact that some players are deciding other players' actions and having them react and do things in THEIR posts is a little disconcerting. Not sure how to apply that.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colliered wrote:
Good! I've read the pdf and it all seems straight forward.. not a clue how to work the dice roll system to only tell you how many successes I got though, rather than rolling a ton of d6 and adding the over 4's up myself.

Question as well - Do you want me to keep the posting style exactly the same? Or can I change it so long as the character continues to act in a similar manner.

I echo both thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Hamilton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot speak for the official stance on narrating for other character, I can give you my impressions. Other players do/can describe what actions other characters take. It usually has been NPC's but from time to time they will post a reaction/action that an player character does. Usually they will say something in the OCC thread to the effect of "I did this, let me know if it is a problem."
It is definitely a different experience. I think the overriding theme of the game is to move the action along. It is certainly more of a shared storytelling experience.
It takes getting used to, but it is fun because you never know what will happen next!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bolieride wrote:
I cannot speak for the official stance on narrating for other character, I can give you my impressions. Other players do/can describe what actions other characters take. It usually has been NPC's but from time to time they will post a reaction/action that an player character does. Usually they will say something in the OCC thread to the effect of "I did this, let me know if it is a problem."
It is definitely a different experience. I think the overriding theme of the game is to move the action along. It is certainly more of a shared storytelling experience.
It takes getting used to, but it is fun because you never know what will happen next!!

i mean that's the thing, are the players DECIDING what is happening next in the story? It almost seems so. Going into extreme detail about your move and post is one thing, but determining actions of others as well as the result of your own move seems like not as much gaming, but writing. I'm seeing a little of this in what I read, especially Lady Blackbird, that's all. Just wondered what was expected of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Miller
United States
Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
What I've been trying to adhere to is:

-Okay to narrate visual reactions and facial expressions from other characters, like so: "Natasha looked taken aback by Vance's words." This gives the other player the freedom to describe their own actual reactions and chalk up what I wrote to a misperception on my character's part.
-Not okay to dictate major decisions or actions of other characters. An example of what not to do: "Natasha rushes up to Vance and kisses him." Since I'm playing the captain, I give a lot of orders in character, but I try to write my posts so that everyone has a chance to follow the orders, argue with me, ignore the orders, whatever.

That's my interpretation. Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9  Next »  [11] |