Michael Miller
United States
Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Nice set of questions, Sam.

Unfortunately, I need to shovel snow this morning in the time I'd normally write my response. And I've got obligations tonight after work. I don't think I'll get to respond until tomorrow morning. Please, don't let me hold anyone else up. Surprise me with what Cyrus Vance walks into when he marches out that door!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Hamilton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting questions, I need to study on my reply. I also need to look back over my keys, I need to keep them in focus.

The rest of this week, and all next week is going to be sporadic for my posting schedule. I am in a busy cycle at work. I will try hard to get in a post daily though!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M
msg tools
mb
So I really like your question but I think that might be a good refresher scene.

Could you help explain refresher scenes a bit more? Do I work directly with the player and write it together or is it more of a 'flashback / reminisce' from your perspective? If I did a flashback, would that count as a refresher or is a refresher more of a two people talking, reminiscing and not something entirely in my characters head remembering past actions involving other characters?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie
Canada
Calgary, AB /
Dieppe, NB
flag msg tools
badge
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” ― William G.T. Shedd
mbmbmbmbmb
GM wrote:
Snargle: Key of conscience - how do you feel about the Guard with the large lump on the back of his noggin? (Have you even seen him since he is now in Vance's cell?) You'll be in Imp uniform and may have to answer questions if spoken to. How good are you at speaking like an Imperial, and do you know about ranks and protocol? (answer this as we proceed, doesn't have to be straight away)

Snargle in IC thread wrote:
Snargle dropped the armor and stepped onto the threshold: sizing up the guard splayed onto the floor; he seemed to be wearing nothing more than the Empire-issued underthings and the captain seemed slightly concerned at the bruise on the guards neck. '*sigh* That poor guard; why's someone always getting hurt?'

Shaking her head and trying to forget the pain (and trouble!) that guard would be in. She took took a deep breath and concentrated on the guard's body.

Since I already sort of touched on the first question, did you want to ask another one? Or were you looking for me to go into more detail about that? I'll do my best to answer the other as we go along. I'm not sure I've figured that out about Snargle yet... but my guess is that Her slyness may help out here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Eslosh wrote:
So I really like your question but I think that might be a good refresher scene.

Could you help explain refresher scenes a bit more? Do I work directly with the player and write it together or is it more of a 'flashback / reminisce' from your perspective? If I did a flashback, would that count as a refresher or is a refresher more of a two people talking, reminiscing and not something entirely in my characters head remembering past actions involving other characters?

Thanks!

The rules state that a refresher is between two or more people, however you can of course reminisce in the process! So yes, it's kind of a side-thread conversation, which is hard to do in PBF. Possibly the best way to do it would be to msg OOC the person/people you want to work with and arrange a time when you are both online and can post in quite quick succession. (unless the others don't mind you saying in here "I want to do a quick refresher with ###, do you all mind holding off posting till it's done?"

Of course, it doesn't have to be consecutive posts, but I think it would make things read quicker. As would short sharp posts where you sort of give one idea then let the other bounce from that.

so:

a. "Hey Snargle! Remember how you came to be on board the Owl? Back on Septimus Prime at the docks, wasn't it?"

b. "haha yeah! I'd stolen some juu juu beans and the Imps were after me!"

a. "All I remember is seeing a little goblin, who I thought was a kid, with a face covered in bright red berry juice! We took pity on you...."

b. "Thank goodness for all your hiding holes in the Owl! I think I found almost all the secret places that week they were looking for me."

a. "er, yeah....why DID they spend so long looking for a berry thief?"

b. "well. um. er. they liked those berries...."

a. "hmmmmmm."

That is, of course, just an example. As with pretty much everything Lady B - you do things YOUR way.

Hey, get a google hangout organised (I'd love to sit in on that! ), do the refresher in there and then post the conversation IC like I did above, being sure to say who said what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
MelodramaBabs wrote:

Since I already sort of touched on the first question, did you want to ask another one? Or were you looking for me to go into more detail about that? I'll do my best to answer the other as we go along. I'm not sure I've figured that out about Snargle yet... but my guess is that Her slyness may help out here.

Damn, missed that one! I will revise the GM question post, indeed! (so by the time you read this OOC post the IC post will be updated)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Miller
United States
Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
So, what do we face when the turbolift doors open? And, does a "Most Wanted" notice come up for Lady Blackbird? Or maybe for someone else? Any of the characters could easily have a warrant out for them.

Does Natasha - or Naomi - notice Vance's attention to Natasha's physical assets?

Does Snargle - or anyone else - notice MaacWeyr's partner following us out of the brig at a distance?

I've got a few ideas of what could be on the other side of the turbolift, but kinda wanted to be surprised. So, some suggestions:

Captain Hollas himself, hurrying out of an adjacent turbolift on the way to the hangar bay.

An uptight officer who takes exception to Vance being out of uniform.

A couple of mess hall workers pushing a cart of delicious-smelling snacks to take to the reception for Count Carlowe.

A tough Imperial marine who's ditching the pomp and circumstance, but who used to bet on Naomi's pit fights back in the day.

Someone take one of those, or one of your own, and run with it. I should be good to post tomorrow, but I'm out of town on Saturday.

Sam: Let me know when you think I've hit my Keys. I'm a terrible judge of that. I've been leaning on the first two in the past two posts:

Key of the Commander
You are accustomed to giving orders and having them obeyed. Hit
your trait when you come up with a plan and give orders to make it
happen. Buyoff: Acknowledge someone else as the leader.

Key of Hidden Longing
You are completely enthralled by Lady Blackbird, but you don’t
want her to know it. Hit your key when you make a decision based
on this secret affection or when you somehow show it indirectly.
Buyoff: Give up on your secret desire or make it public.

Key of the Outcast
You got exiled from the Empire. Hit your key when your outcast
status causes you trouble or is important in a scene.
Buyoff: Regain your former standing or join a new group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the sly reference to Star Wars

Oh, and if anyone writes in a Serenity 'Miranda' moment......lol ;D

And I will let you know about the keys yup.

And interestingly you kind of hit the 2nd one (longing) in that last post

If anyone who knew you happened to be looking at you when you glanced at Natasha there it would be sort of obvious...

1xp good sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swlives wrote:
"Only thing worse would be if there were a human-sized hatch directly into the garbage collection system."
Hahaha, nice one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie
Canada
Calgary, AB /
Dieppe, NB
flag msg tools
badge
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” ― William G.T. Shedd
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilikai wrote:
swlives wrote:
"Only thing worse would be if there were a human-sized hatch directly into the garbage collection system."
Hahaha, nice one!

Hey guys. Just wanted to give you the heads up that I'm going to be MIA for the weekend. (Heading to the Mountains (Canmore) for a weekend of gaming!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M
msg tools
mb
Sorry I didn't interact with Kale yet, Heather. I meant to but got swept away in writing narrative for moving the story along and as you can tell hardly included Naomi at all. I'll be sure to get some better character interaction going shortly.

Enjoy the gaming Nathalie! Boardgames, videogames, or Pen and Paper? I am jealous! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome. Aaron, in his latest post, has unknowingly described an image of Lady Blackbird that EXACTLY matches an image I found online and have been using as a character reference point. Here it is: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/016/8/3/steampunk_art...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie
Canada
Calgary, AB /
Dieppe, NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eslosh wrote:
Sorry I didn't interact with Kale yet, Heather. I meant to but got swept away in writing narrative for moving the story along and as you can tell hardly included Naomi at all. I'll be sure to get some better character interaction going shortly.

Enjoy the gaming Nathalie! Boardgames, videogames, or Pen and Paper? I am jealous! yuk

boardgames and card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam, I'll leave it to you to decide whether or not I hit Key of the Paragon in my latest post. I can see it going either way.

I also recognize this as a chance to buy off Key of the Impostor, and I would like to do so, please, if you agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go with both of those

Key of the Paragon hit - 1xp.

Key of the Imposter bought off. 2XP and chose a new Key.

The best way to do this is to download the LB Companion from the same site as LB (let me know if you can't find it and I'll link direct to it.)

Your new key needs to be different to those you have/had and must fall in line with your character to date. Feel free to provide a shortlist here and I'll say yes/no to each and then you can make the final decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lady Blackbird PDF wrote:
When you have accumulated 5 XP, you earn an
advance. You can spend an advance on one of the following:
❖ Add a new Trait (based on something you learned during play or
on some past experience that has come to light)
❖ Add a tag to an existing trait
❖ Add a new Key (you can never have the same key twice)
❖ Learn a Secret (if you have the means to)

You can hold on to advances if you want, and spend them at any time, even in the middle of a battle!
Each key also has a buyoff. If the buyoff condition occurs, you have the option of removing the Key and earning two advances.
Wouldn't that put me at a total of 2XP and 2 advances? If I'm missing something or that's not how you're running it, please let me know.

Also, I'm not able to find that companion file. Can you please link to it? The standard PDF has a few additional keys/tags/secrets to choose from, but more is always better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilikai wrote:
The Lady Blackbird PDF wrote:
When you have accumulated 5 XP, you earn an
advance. You can spend an advance on one of the following:
❖ Add a new Trait (based on something you learned during play or
on some past experience that has come to light)
❖ Add a tag to an existing trait
❖ Add a new Key (you can never have the same key twice)
❖ Learn a Secret (if you have the means to)

You can hold on to advances if you want, and spend them at any time, even in the middle of a battle!
Each key also has a buyoff. If the buyoff condition occurs, you have the option of removing the Key and earning two advances.
Wouldn't that put me at a total of 2XP and 2 advances? If I'm missing something or that's not how you're running it, please let me know.

Also, I'm not able to find that companion file. Can you please link to it? The standard PDF has a few additional keys/tags/secrets to choose from, but more is always better!

Well spotted! I went with what my memory said you got from buying off a key...(2xp) and got it wrong! lol.

So yes, your XP goes back down to 2, and you get 2 of the above.

GM booboo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Miller
United States
Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Nice posts, everyone. I'll wait for Heather and Nathalie to get a post in before I respond. But with the disguise dropped, I now get to use some of my most favorite Han Solo lines like "Your Worshipfulness" and "Your Highnessness."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Hamilton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay. I am attempting to herd cats at work this week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie
Canada
Calgary, AB /
Dieppe, NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys!

I'm back. I've read the updates in IC. I'm thinking of a good response.
I'm also currently dealing with mucho toothache which likely won't get looked at until next week (I did make an appointment).

I apologize for being so slow at posting; I should get in there in the next couple days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Miller
United States
Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
And there. I'll leave room for the others to react to Lady Blackbird's bombshell before we have the turbolift open and some sort of new obstacle present itself to us.

I figured Vance is the type of guy to let his anger drown out his embarrassment of being fooled, and now any hopes of romance down the drain. To quote Han Solo: "What do you think? A princess and a guy like me?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swlives wrote:
Han Solo
In my opinion, you can make this comparison as often as you'd like, and it will only improve the character.

I really liked your reaction post. That's a good attitude for Cyrus to take. Very well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M
msg tools
mb
My hope is to post first thing tomorrow morning. Having issues with the internet at the hotel and don't feel like working on the writeup while at work.

Sorry for the delay, appreciate everyones patience and still enjoying watching our story unfold!

Update: Posted, wanted to write more but was unable to roll the dice without a connection. Fortunately this is the last time Ill be staying here so that should help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, this was brought up in the other game's OOC thread and I thought I'd check with you guys too.

Lady blackbird is a very "free-form" system and there's no hard-and-fast rule with how much "traditional GMing" the GM should do.

I have so far taken a fairly relaxed role as Scene-Setter, letting you all to set the scenes as we go along. I think you've been doing a great job of this personally.

However in the other game at least one of the players would prefer me to be more hands-on with regards of telling you all what you find when say a door is opened etc.

So let me know please if you are happy with things how they are, or if you'd prefer that I give a bit more scene-info through the game.

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Miller
United States
Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I like the new surprise and the new GMing style. At least, in this sort of situation.

What I mean is, the opening situation of the game is "You are locked up in the brig, what happens next?" is a good fit for the GMing style of "think about these questions and make up obstacles and opportunities as you go."

This part of the story, where we are actively marching into the unknown corridors of the ship seems a better fit for the GM to throw obstacles in our path and allow us the opportunity to react to them, like this dice game. This is what I meant when I posted before requesting that someone "surprise me."

I'm sure that we'll find a natural shift between one mode and the other as play continues.

As far as Cyrus's response, his plan was to bluff all the time, and only resort to violence if the bluffing failed. I realize that if I bluff and succeed, then most of the other characters' questions that Sam posed (which are very good questions, BTW) become moot. Far be it from me to upstage my fellow players. So I'm going to hold off and let the rest of you react first. Cyrus is too wrapped up in his inner turmoil.

And so we see how love leads to nothing but trouble... At least when you're a smuggler!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [11] |