Recommend
14 
 Thumb up
 Hide
260 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 

Lady Blackbird» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Bifford's Lady Blackbird OOC Game A - Newbie Initiative 2013 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Newbie [+] 2013-RPG-Newbie-Initiative [+] [View All]
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael! ' Illustrious, eh? I like it The time difference gives me something to look forward to when I wake up hehe.

As to the helping rolls question, the best thing is to firstly use your intelligence with regards a situation and secondly to make use of the OOC thread. If Kale is with Vance and you want to do an IC post about a con-job (which of course Kale can help with) then post a short message here asking Kale if he wants to help in a con and give one of his pool dice over. If the answer is yes be sure to incorporate that in the post; rolls and roll explanation.


(Posted from phone in bed so please excuse mistakes)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie
Canada
Calgary, AB /
Dieppe, NB
flag msg tools
badge
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” ― William G.T. Shedd
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Mountain Time (GMT-7)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Miller
United States
Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
I hope it's okay to post a test of the dice roller here. Just want to make sure I have the format down.

Cyrus lunged through the smoking hole in the wall, both pistols out, firing furiously in an attempt to give Natasha the distraction she needed.

Rolling Cyrus Vance + Warrior + Battle-hardened + Shooting + Two-gun Style + Pistol = 6 dice. Target 3. 6custom2{0;1} = (1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0) = 3

And then I'd go back and edit to incorporate the result, right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 238714. swlives
  • 6custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0) =
  • 3
  • Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:31 am
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
swlives wrote:
I hope it's okay to post a test of the dice roller here. Just want to make sure I have the format down.

Cyrus lunged through the smoking hole in the wall, both pistols out, firing furiously in an attempt to give Natasha the distraction she needed.

Rolling Cyrus Vance + Warrior + Battle-hardened + Shooting + Two-gun Style + Pistol = 6 dice. Target 3. swlives previously rolled 6custom2{0;1} = (1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0) = 3

And then I'd go back and edit to incorporate the result, right?
Michael, that looks correct to me, at least format-wise.

If I can point out one niggling thing about your IC post (which is otherwise excellent): You say that you picked us up a few hours ago. But the book seems to indicate that we started in Ilysium and are now near Haven, a trip that takes a few weeks. I'm sure we can adjust that backstory if you have something else in mind.

Other than that, great post. Will MaacWeyr be friend or foe? Stay tuned...

EDIT: Just caught your inclusion of "high-proof nectar" as your illegal cargo. That is awesome.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Miller
United States
Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Thanks, Dave.

I had meant to express that The Owl had been captured a few hours ago. Reading over it, I didn't quite say that. I will edit. Thanks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie
Canada
Calgary, AB /
Dieppe, NB
flag msg tools
badge
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” ― William G.T. Shedd
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also perfect in that I had started drafting my first IC post placing Snargle all my his lonesome in a cell. Thanks for setting it up that way!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
swlives wrote:
I had meant to express that The Owl had been captured a few hours ago. Reading over it, I didn't quite say that. I will edit. Thanks.
I see. That makes sense now. Cool.

MelodramaBabs wrote:
Also perfect in that I had started drafting my first IC post placing Snargle all my his lonesome in a cell. Thanks for setting it up that way!
Perfect! I'm excited to see what you do with that character.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M
msg tools
Avatar
mb
I'm here!

Despite what rumors may have told you, work does sometimes allow me to escape and enjoy a variety of hobbies. My name is Aaron, I'm 30, and unfortunately I rarely get to take part in much of the RPG tabletop culture. Feel free to pass on any constructive criticism my way as we play.

I am currently in PST, although every friday that alternates from PST to CST. The times might be a tad erratic but my enthusiasm is high and I really look forward to being a part of the crew.

I'm currently scouring all the rules, wrapping my head around everything and trying my best not to make an introductory faux pas. I plan to have my IC post as soon as I feel comfortable with everything (and as you mentioned, wait for our last remaining crew member).

Thanks Bifford for putting all this together with such a welcoming introduction. I've never heard of Lady Blackbird but this kickoff is really making me excited!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eslosh wrote:
I'm here!

Despite what rumors may have told you, work does sometimes allow me to escape and enjoy a variety of hobbies. My name is Aaron, I'm 30, and unfortunately I rarely get to take part in much of the RPG tabletop culture. Feel free to pass on any constructive criticism my way as we play.

I am currently in PST, although every friday that alternates from PST to CST. The times might be a tad erratic but my enthusiasm is high and I really look forward to being a part of the crew.

I'm currently scouring all the rules, wrapping my head around everything and trying my best not to make an introductory faux pas. I plan to have my IC post as soon as I feel comfortable with everything (and as you mentioned, wait for our last remaining crew member).

Thanks Bifford for putting all this together with such a welcoming introduction. I've never heard of Lady Blackbird but this kickoff is really making me excited!

Before I reply to the above...I'm just going to say this:

My Flab is well and truly Gasted!
We've had four of the five players make their initial posts.
And with each one the bar has been raised!!!

I'd like to bring to light the following:
"She stalked from corner to corner of her newly found prison, an animalistic cry of hatred and terror rising in the back of her throat. She tasted blood. Her heart sang for ruin."

Her heart sang for ruin!!!! Holy cow!! I love that!

Guys, keep this up and I'm out of a job!

Going back to the above post....kindly explain PST and CST in terms relating to normal English people please!

Well there was no faux pas, and the post was a good one, and now we just await the indomitable Kale to post! Come in Heather!

BTW - loving the fact that each of you is giving at least one of the other players something to chew over with regards to *their* character - like Naomi saying that Vance is rather chatty! haha. Fun

Keep at it boys and girls, I'm soooo looking forward to this now
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Miller
United States
Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Pretty sure that:

EST = Eastern Standard Time = GMT -5 hours = Michael (me)
CST = Central Standard Time = GMT -6 hours = Aaron on Fridays
MST = Mountain Standard Time = GMT -7 hours = Nathalie
PST = Pacific Standard Time = GMT -8 hours = Aaron on Saturday through Thursday

Correct me if I'm wrong.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:

My Flab is well and truly Gasted!
We've had four of the five players make their initial posts.
And with each one the bar has been raised!!!
I couldn't agree more. Holy cow, what quality! We've got a great group going here. I can't wait to read more.

As for time zones, Michael, Aaron spends this week in PST followed by a week in CST. That cycle repeats, so it's always one week at a time in each zone. And I'm in CST all the time.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie
Canada
Calgary, AB /
Dieppe, NB
flag msg tools
badge
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” ― William G.T. Shedd
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
and MST sadly means that at this time, I really should be waiting for the next bus to take me to work

WHHHHHYYYYYYYY!

I should have bought lottery tickets while on vacation.

do. not. want. to. return.


Have a great day folks!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Hamilton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings all! Sorry for the late arrival, I am still figuring out how RPG Geek works. It seems quite different from typical forums.
I now finished reading through the OCC, and will probably post a couple times to make sure I get the whole dice thing worked out.

About me? Well, I think I am the old lady in the group. Just turned 40, although I most of my family will tell you I still act about 8 years old. I play RPGs, and even run a weekly game. I miss actually getting to be a player, so I thought I would give PbF a try. As luck would have it, I found a newbie sign up.
I am in Florida, so eastern is my time zone! I will probably post early in the morning (6am my time) or in the late afternoons (5pm).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Hamilton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about rolling.
I can only use one trait, and then only the tags under it?
So if Kale wants to sneak in and disable the engines it would have to be two separate rolls?
To sneak in:
1 + Burglar + Quiet + Sneak + Hide + pool

To disable engines with parts laying around:
1 + Mechanic + Engines + Spare parts + Sabotage + pool

Test roll:
1 + Mechanic + Engines + Spare parts + Sabotage + 1 pool = 6custom2{0;1} = (1 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 0) = 2
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 239281. bolieride
  • 6custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 0) =
  • 2
  • Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:21 pm
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bolieride wrote:
Question about rolling.
I can only use one trait, and then only the tags under it?
So if Kale wants to sneak in and disable the engines it would have to be two separate rolls?

Greetings! Thanks for the personal back story Always nice to know your club players.

And that is correct, so in that example you would write up to the sneaking part, add in the dice roll - with a small bit of text after that you would edit out in a moment saying something like (more text to come in 5 mins).

Once you know if you passed or failed the sneak test you'd then edit your post and narrate the next bit dependent on your pass/fail and if you pass you add in the dice roll for the mechanics part.

Save, check your new dice roll success/failure then edit again and carry on

Quote:
To sneak in:
1 + Burglar + Quiet + Sneak + Hide + pool

To disable engines with parts laying around:
1 + Mechanic + Engines + Spare parts + Sabotage + pool

Test roll:
1 + Mechanic + Engines + Spare parts + Sabotage + 1 pool = bolieride previously rolled 6custom2{0;1} = (1 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 0) = 2

And that would be a fail (unless you yourself or I as GM deemed the roll to be easier than normal.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam, you'll be the one to determine difficulty level, right? So do we ask you first in the OOC thread or something, to find out what the difficulty of something would be?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilikai wrote:
Sam, you'll be the one to determine difficulty level, right? So do we ask you first in the OOC thread or something, to find out what the difficulty of something would be?

You can too within reason. If you feel comfortable saying that what you are about to do is something you've done a million times before, and you are not under any pressure then it can drop to a 2.

Conversely if you think you are under some pressure, but it's still something you are used to doing class it as a 4.

If you are in any doubt ask OOC.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A question was asked in Game B's ooc thread, regarding the duration of a Session within the game. In face2face a session is obvious. In pbf not so much! My answer to him was as follows:


Due to this being a forum game a session will end at a natural break. So generally the first session break, and therefore the first proper Refresh scene, will be once you are on board the Owl again and safely away from the Hand of Sorrow.

After that it all depends where you go and what you do

There is the possibility that you could force a scene-break and have a refresh before being on the Owl, but it would be darned hard to do so.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M
msg tools
Avatar
mb
I think this is slowly coming together for me, but I did have a few additional questions regarding flow.

1) Will I ever attempt multiple rolls in a single post or is it better to keep those separated? I assume I would if I attempt a sneak attempt followed by some sort of combat however If I'm attempting a lot of different actions maybe it makes sense to break them out into separate posts?

2) If I can make multiple rolls on a single post, I assume the "dice pool" I choose to use from is only usable on a single attempt. So if I use a +1 pool die to make a sneak check, that same +1 from the pool won't be usable in a same roll I use to make a combat check even if its in the same post, is that right?

3) Does the flow of the game often go players / GM / players / GM or does the GM interject at certain points when appropriate? Does everyone tend to post once or do you sometimes have back and forth between certain players for a while?

Thanks in advance for the insight!

(Also post to test out this nifty roll feature)

Lets sneak around a corner!

1 - (I'm alive!) + ES + Sneak + 1 pool = 4custom2{0;1} = (1 + 0 + 1 + 1) = 3

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 239800. Eslosh
  • 4custom2{0;1} =
  • (1 + 0 + 1 + 1) =
  • 3
  • 1 - (I'm alive!) + ES + Sneak + 1 pool =
  • Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:56 am
Nathalie
Canada
Calgary, AB /
Dieppe, NB
flag msg tools
badge
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” ― William G.T. Shedd
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I should probably test a roll too

Let's say I want to slip under a door to get out of some kind of predicament. hypothetically speaking - of course!

Breathing! + Goblin + Warp Shape + Quick = 4

(first roll deleted)

oh. dear.
I guess I'm not going anywhere!

and what if I try to cheat my way out....

(cheat roll) 4custom2{0;1} = (0 + 0 + 0 + 0) = 0

And it obviously doesn't pay to cheat.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 239809. MelodramaBabs
  • 4custom2{0;1} =
  • (0 + 0 + 0 + 0) =
  • 0
  • Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:16 am
  • [+]
  • 239823. MelodramaBabs
  • 4custom2{0;1} =
  • (0 + 0 + 0 + 0) =
  • 0
  • Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:36 am
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eslosh wrote:
I think this is slowly coming together for me, but I did have a few additional questions regarding flow.

That's fine - LB is different from your "normal rpg's" and can take a while to get used to. It'll come though

Quote:
1) Will I ever attempt multiple rolls in a single post or is it better to keep those separated? I assume I would if I attempt a sneak attempt followed by some sort of combat however If I'm attempting a lot of different actions maybe it makes sense to break them out into separate posts?

Your choice! As far as narrative and flow goes I would say that as long as your action centres on you, and does not involve another player's interaction then keep it to one post. If however something you does might affect other players then stop the narrative (maybe with a small gray OOC note at the bottom saying something like OOC: Snargle has further plans, but needs your reactions first before he can continue!

Quote:
2) If I can make multiple rolls on a single post, I assume the "dice pool" I choose to use from is only usable on a single attempt. So if I use a +1 pool die to make a sneak check, that same +1 from the pool won't be usable in a same roll I use to make a combat check even if its in the same post, is that right?

Correct, so if at the start you have your 7 pool dice, then on roll one you use 1 of those, for your second roll you would have 6 pool dice available.

Quote:
3) Does the flow of the game often go players / GM / players / GM or does the GM interject at certain points when appropriate? Does everyone tend to post once or do you sometimes have back and forth between certain players for a while?

I will only interject as and when is needed. I'll be playing the NPCs if you don't (so you could narrate the Imperials, or I could) and of course scene setting if I need things to go a certain way or whatever. Basically you guys can do small scene setting and directing, I do all the big stuff.


Quote:
Thanks in advance for the insight!

(Also post to test out this nifty roll feature)

Lets sneak around a corner!

Eslosh previously rolled 4custom2{0;1} = (1 + 0 + 1 + 1) = 3 (1 - (I'm alive!) + ES + Sneak + 1 pool = )

Don't think so confined - being sneaky also means you are Hiding surely? Also, if you narrate things well enough you could even squeeze in "Endure" there! Maybe the position you get into to sneak causes you discomfort from those wounds you took - endure the pain without it impeading your sneaking...!

1 (I'm alive!) + Ex-Slave + Sneaky + Hide + Endire + Pool.

Please write the Trait out in full - as my brain doesn't fire on all cylinders so early in the AM!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MelodramaBabs wrote:
I should probably test a roll too

Let's say I want to slip under a door to get out of some kind of predicament. hypothetically speaking - of course!

Breathing! + Goblin + Warp Shape + Quick = 4

(first roll deleted)

oh. dear.
I guess I'm not going anywhere!

and what if I try to cheat my way out....

(cheat roll) MelodramaBabs previously rolled 4custom2{0;1} = (0 + 0 + 0 + 0) = 0

And it obviously doesn't pay to cheat.

Especially as all I have to do is click the little bar that is under your post to see that you made two rolls! You'd get a nasty telling off, warning and I'd edit your text (and you can bet your bottom dollar that if it's because you've cheated then it won't be a NICE edit!!! lol )

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Interesting, so its almost a game in itself to have the descriptive narrative mesh with the skills allowing your rolls to be higher. I like it.

So its okay if I drive the story ahead by controlling an NPC or two as opposed to waiting for the GM? Part of me wrote my first post a bit passive in the thought that you'd be controlling the captors a lot but knowing I can mold the story a bit in my direction puts a whole slew of new ideas into my head. I'll wait for our last crew-mate to post (and potentially our illustrious GM, heh) before my next post.


MelodramaBabs - Really enjoyed your IC post as well! Well done! Hope your first day back to work wasn't too painful.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Within reason, yes, you are more than welcome to control NPCs. The fact that one of the other players has already stated there are guards outside (and given one a name, though you wouldn't know that) gives you some initial ammo to work with.

My primary role here is to set the larger picture and to ask each of you pertenant questions. I too am waiting for our one last crew-member to post and then I'll be asking some new questions of you all.

As a head's up your first one will be "Do you remember the face of the coward who knocked you out with a rifle? How much pain will he suffer if you ever clap eyes on him again?"

devil

Also, regarding narrative driving the dice rolls up a level: In a previous pbf game I was in one of the players found it good to colourize the driving force behind those dice.

------------------------
Example:

The face matched. This bastard was going to regret the day he joined the service and crossed paths with this woman! Her days in the pits had readied her for combat situations like this, and she knew that she could be brutal in her delivery. Retribution was brought on hard and fast to gimps like this one. Oh yes, on days like this she loved being a living weapon!

Used: Pit-Fighter: Combat Tested, Brutal, Living Weapon, Fast, Hard for 1+1+5 = 7.
Because vengeance is sweet and I want to be sure to take him out: Pool Dice 3. 7+3 = 10 dice
Single Imperial with his back to me.. -1 difficulty = Target 2.
Vengeance! 10custom2{0;1} = (0 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 1) = 7


Naomi wasted no time. The idiot's back was to her and he was busy tinkering with a vending machine. Her walk turned into a full-tilt run and when fer fists smashed into his lower back with a loud crack he had no clue, but crumpled to the ground paralysed from the waist down. Standing over the top of him, he looked up into Naomi's face and recognition dawned. It was the last thing he ever saw.
-------------------------

(God I love this game! hehehe)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 239940. Bifford
  • 10custom2{0;1} =
  • (0 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 1) =
  • 7
  • Vengeance!
  • Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:58 am
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And now that Kale (Heather) has posted the rest of you are free to carry on the story. I'm just gonna do a short GM question post to nudge you all.

Heather - Short and to the point, always a good thing! Well done on a great post also Can you remember to paragraph things up a bit? Makes reading text much easier lol.

Oh, and something you all might like to think of doing - I find it useful if, once you have read an OOC or IC post, to hit the small green icon with a thumb in it next to that post. This tells me that you have read a particular post. If you have read an IC post, want to respond to it but don't have the time right then do not thumb it until you're ready to reply.

It's not much of an indication, but it helps a little. If a post has no thumbs I know people havn't seen it yet....if it has five thumbs I can be fairly certain you all have.

Thanks!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] |