Doctor Who Roleplaying Game» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: [IC] Candle in the window rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Prologue:

Rose, Mitchell and Harold watch the Janitor flying the TARDIS through time and space. Their adventure with the cybermen and the Yedarians has left them tired. They all want to go home as soon as possible, and the Janitor will be glad to see them leave the TARDIS as well. "Almost there, people. Just a few more light-years and decades to go." They can see the years decreasing on the console, when finally stopping at 2011. "There, that should be it. I'm almost certain we arrived back at the right time, and maybe we even got the correct place as well. Let's have a look, shall we." . Rose opens the doors and steps outside. Mitchell, Harold and the Janitor following her.

It looks like they've arrived in a small British town. The outhouse is standing in a quiet street. It is getting dark outside, the last sunlight disappearing on the horizon. The first "living being" they see is a small zombie, slowly walking around, axe sticking out it's head. The zombie is carrying a heavy bag. It looks like the bag might contain a human head, but it is very hard to see from here. The small zombie doesn't even look at the people stepping out of the outhouse but walks past burbling braaaiiiiins. Things are even getting weirder as the small zombie is followed by a pair of small grim reapers and spiderman. The Janitor checks his watch. "October 31, 2011. I believe we arrived in the middle of Halloween festivities."

The four of them follow the street to a junction. Looks a lot busier here, with all kinds of dressed up kids walking around and going from door to door for candy. Carved out pumpkins with candles in them on every doorstep. Rose sighs with relief. "Looks like earth. That's good enough for me. Janitor, it's been a pleasure. But I'm leaving. Now is as good as time as any to get back to my family". Mitchell and Harold nod as well, and all the three of them storm of, happy to leave everything they've been through behind them, leaving the Janitor alone.

Alone? Unfortunately for the Janitor, he's not. Standing a few meters from him, four men are looking at him. Looking might not be correct for one of them as he's obviously blind. He appears to be looking straight at the Janitor somehow. The others seem like regular people. A student, probably. He certainly looks young and inexperienced. Some kind of nerd, looking very nervously. And a more confidant looking fellow wearing a world war 2 greatcoat, probably dressed up for Halloween as well. The blind man looks like he knows what he's doing, but the three others seem to have no clue why they are there. The blind man probably gathered the lot of them to wait for the arrival of the Janitor. The blind man starts speaking: "We've been waiting for you. I've gathered these three companions because I have the feeling something is wrong here in this town, and this group are the only ones able to solve it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm glad to hear that! I wish you all good luck with the problem solving. Now if you would excuse me the people that just left left rather a messy place behind and I need to clean it up. The Janitor digs around in an attached box on the outside of the Outhouse and pulls out a broom that is way to big to fit inside the chest and heads back inside his outhouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'm sorry, Janitor, I fear I was being vague. This group would, of course, include you. The fate of this very town and perhaps more could very well depend on it." The blind man approaches the Janitor, extending a hand, which holds a cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well a cup off tea, I can't really ignore that. The janitor takes the tea and takes a sip. Tell me what's the problem but I'm not saying I will help to tie this mess up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The nervous nerd, fascinated by the sight of the Outhouse, gets closer and, standing on his tiptoes, inspects the door hinges. After a few seconds, he looks somewhere up in the sky without focusing on anything in particular, while his left hand procures a small toolbox from the pocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
The young student is still trying to figure out what is looking more and more confused, he seem to be pondering something. He turns to the man in a world war 2 greatcoat and whispers

"Do you know whats happening. What the strange thing we are to solve is?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack looks at the student. He will learn more than in uni for sure soon.

"All I know is this Janitor must be someone I know with another face. This will be quite the ride. It will be fun, dangerous and I will be having the time of my life."

pun intended
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The teacup is half up the way off his face as it suddenly freezes in mid air, the janitor turns to the nerd and says: Young man, what is that, will you seize and desist what you are trying to do, I don't know what you are up to but don't touch the outhouse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Gareth gives the Janitor a wide smile and a thumb-up to reassure him that everything will be okay, and extracts a yellow folding ruler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The blind man shrugs. "I'm afraid all has not been revealed to me. But seeing as you're not of this earth and neither is the malevolent alien force in this fair town, I thought it might be in your interest to lend a hand."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aliens hey, well as long as they aren't to deadly maybe I can be off some help. Tell me what you know... But wait let's do it in the study, follow me in and the last better closes the door, and don't forget to wipe your feet on the doormat!. The janitor walks into the outhouse, follows a couple of corridors and opens the doors to the study.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack follows, offering the blind man help getting in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew first hesitate and follows the others inside the outhouse, his face shows a bit of surprise and there is a bit of an 'Oh' as he realise the inside is bigger than the outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Gareth quickly puts measurements of the door hinges in his notebook and follows the rest. The sight of the inside makes him retrieve the notebook and the ruler again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
As the group enters the TARDIS, four children in Halloween costumes pass by in the street as they go from door to door for candy. One is dressed as a pirate, one as captain America, one as a skeleton and the last on is probably supposed to look like a ghost but it is obvious he is wearing bedsheets with two holes in them where his eyes are. You can hear them talking.

You know that abandoned house just on top of the hill?
Yeah, what about it
We should like totally go there! David said he saw a candle burning in the window.
That is a scary place, I'm not going there.
Ohhh, are you scared? Afraid the ghost will...

The children go on but they are to far away to hear the rest of their conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As William overhears the children speaking, he receives a vivid image of a flickering candle sitting alone in the window of a house enveloped in a soultearing darkness.

"That house the children speak of...I'm sure it has something to do with that although I'm not sure what."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack smiles. This sounds like an adventure starting to happen already. He looks at William, interesting...

"We better check it out than, wouldn't you think? By the way, very nice to meet you...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Gareth snorts with disgust. "So you have one of those `feelings` of yours?" he addresses William and then turns to Jack: "The kids are probably just jabbering nonsense. And this man," he points at William, " believes in telekinesis." Gareth barely holds himself from bursting into laughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew have been quiet for a while now can't help but react "Er ehh are nobody else surprised by beeing in something that is rather bigger on the inside then the outside. This must be some kind of miracle or angelic of spirt building or something"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack bursts into laughter.

"Ah well no man. This is old stuff for me. But I can imagine your surprise. Let the Janitor explain it to you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Explain what? I've seen it all my life. Now an old house with a candle, nothing special or alien about that... but since it's abandonned we may just have look, I guess it will be very dirty. The doctor takes a book out of one off the shelfs and starts flipping through some papers, apparantly pushing letters while the outhouse makes a terrible noise, I installed a remote control to the TARDIS here, practical isn't it, lets go to the house on the hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
"Oh, no, please, don't reveal it yet," objects Gareth, "It won't take much time to figure it out..."
Now he is mesmerized by the elaborate duct pipe connecting the ceiling and the deck.

Okay, it was out of time, but you get the picture
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad, I think Narl was referring to explaining why it was bigger on the inside.

As the Janitor steps back outside, it is quite obvious where the house is. Somewhat out of the town center, there is a small hill with a house on it. You cannot see any light from this distance. As you step towards it, you pass several people in the streets. Parents with their children mostly. It looks like no one wants to approach the house or allow their children near it. They seem to keep their distance to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep got the hint didn't want to explain though, the janitor isn't that explaining. I was actually trying to park the TARDIS next to the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, I didn't get that. I will adjust my post:

You can hear the TARDIS hum and feel a vibration. It only lasts a few seconds though and everything is back to normal. As normal as an outhouse that is bigger on the inside than the outside and contains multiple rooms can be of course. Following the Janitor back through the exit, you can see that you are now standing on top of a small hill, overlooking the town. Right next to the house mentioned by the children. It is very dark here, the streetlights too far away to properly illuminate the place.

The house looks like it has long been abandoned and has not been taken care of for years. Weeds growing all over the garden, paint chipping from the wood of the house. The children appear to be right: you can see light coming out of one of the windows on the upper floor.

You notice that no one from the town is walking near the house. It is as if they all want to avoid it and like to keep their distance. They don't even look at it when passing it, increasing their pace as they do.

A chill October wind picks up and it feels cold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [17] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.