Recommend
16 
 Thumb up
 Hide
628 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 3-00 Intro 1: In Service to Lore» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: [IC] N2F's ISTL In Character Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2013 [+] [View All]
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the In Character Thread for the In Service to Lore PBF. This game is being run as part of the 2013 RPG Geek Newbie-Friendly Play-by-Forum Initiative!

OOC Thread is here

The dragon baitPlayers:
John Christopher
United States
Edwards
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awake For Now
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alec
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Let me hear you hissssssss...."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacob Søgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


This thread is specifically for IN CHARACTER actions and conversations. In this thread you should put in quotes and/or bold and/or colorize what your PC is saying. You can describe the PC’s actions in regular color and non-bold text.

To perform rolls for the game we will use the in-thread dice-roller. When you describe dice rolls and any questions or comments related to those rolls (i.e. not something your PC is saying or doing) please do that in greyed out text - this is easiest to perform by typing this: [color=grey]text you want to ask about + note[/color]. It will turn out like this: text you want to ask about + note. For further examples of what this should look like, please see this play by post thread: Sample PBF Game.

Browsers, curious onlookers and lurkers please check out our guild here if you're interested in some honest to goodness Pathfinder Society action. Thumb this thread if you love RPG!
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO THIS THREAD NOW IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO!
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresh off their induction into the Society and the completion of their basic training within the organization, the team finds themselves in the office of Ambrus Valsin, the venture-captain in charge of daily operations in and around the Grand Lodge. The efficient and straightforward chamberlain greets the team curtly and motions for them to sit before jumping straight into their assignment.



“All right, rookies! Listen up. I know you are eager to make names for yourselves in the organization, but first we need to make sure you are up to snuff and won’t get yourself killed out there.” The earring on Ambrus’ right ear flashes as he shakes his head.



”I have a number of small assignments for you rookies and your team, and it would be best if you could finish them before the day’s end.” Ambrus strokes his mustache thoughtfully with his left hand.

“Every day we get some doe-eyed hopeful or some sniveling bootlicker willing to do anything to join up with the Pathfinders. Most of them are good kids, but not all of them have the salt to make it in a world like this. It’s rough out there and I’m not just talking about the ruins, tombs, and wilderness Pathfinders find themselves in on missions. We’ve got people who look down their noses at us, folks who think we squander our resources, and agents who want to take everything we have collected. This wealth of knowledge and these items of lore make us the most powerful organization on the planet. That said, since we are fractured and widespread, it’s difficult for that power to light on anything for too long. For every friend of the Society, there are two enemies.” Ambrus sighs.

“Now rookies, listen up! Your first mission, to test your mettle and loyalties, sends you to meet a few people important to the Society living here in Absalom. These are other venture-captains or close allies of our organization, so follow their orders as you would mine. I’ve prepared a list of things I want you to do. They’re not arranged in any particular order of importance, but I want them all completed as quickly as possible. Only report to me once you complete them all. Included in the envelope you hold in your hands is the list, complete with the name of your contact, and directions to the meeting location.” Ambrus holds out the envelope with his right hand while stroking his mustache with his left. You take and open the envelope.

”Any questions?”
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Opening up the envelope, you find a sheet of parchment, describing various tasks in meticulous handwriting:

------------------------------
Class Assignments:

☐ A man named Guaril Karela runs a curio shop in the Docks called the Pickled Imp. Go to him and fill his request as a favor to the Society. I believe it has something to do with a set of rare books.

☐ Ollysta Zadrian requested aid and is expecting you at the Temple of the Shining Star in the Ascendant Court. She needs someone to deliver a parcel of medicine and curatives to a needy orphanage and verify the character of the recipient.

☐ Visit the offices of Osirian nobleman Dremdhet Salhar in the Wise Quarter. The Pathfinder Society needs to obtain permission to delve the Salhar ancestral vaults beneath Sothis. He has made a verbal agreement, and your visit makes it official. You will receive an official charter and detailed maps. Do not embarrass the Society in this matter.

☐ Chelish Paracountess Zarta Dralneen possesses an item loaned from the Vaults. Meet with her in her estate in the Ivy District and retrieve the item in her possession.

You also find in the envelope the standard map of Absalom distributed by the Absalom Tourism Promotion Association...

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyra looks up slowly from the parchment and turns to Osgood, "Surely there is only one task on this list of any urgency? The need for medicines at the orphanage outweighs any considerations of our own gain."

She returns her attention to the rest of the group. "I am also concerned by this matter of 'verifying the character of the recipient' - we should ensure the children are not in danger. The Ascendant Court is not far from here (assuming we are in the Grand Lodge in the Foreign Quarter) and we will still be close to two of our other destinations."

Looking back to Ambrus, Kyra asks "The orphanage the medicine is to be taken to, is it also in the Ascendant Court area? Can you give us any further information about any of our contacts?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Søgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hayato says nothing - he only nods to Kyra and stands behind her giving Osgood a challenging look. Then he turns to Ambrus, seemingly awaiting an answer to Kyra's question.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Let me hear you hissssssss...."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Merisiel watches the others debate, and chimes in "If you think there's money to be made in any of these contracts, I say we start there. Perhaps it would be useful of us to actually acquire some coin before we head to the shopowner. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if we unloaded our pockets along with the task he has asked of us"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowolf wrote:

Looking back to Ambrus, Kyra asks "The orphanage the medicine is to be taken to, is it also in the Ascendant Court area? Can you give us any further information about any of our contacts?"

Ambrus glances at Kyra with a surprised look on his face, "All four contacts are esteemed venture captains and faction heads of the Pathfinder Lodge. Surely you must have heard of them? As regards the orphanage, you will need to ask Ollystra about the location as I am not familiar with the finer details of the individual tasks."

"But your dedication to the welfare of the children of the orphanage is commendable. Ollystra heads the Silver Crusade faction and will be interested to meet you."


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone looks expectantly at Ezren, expecting him to weigh in...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
not2fear wrote:
Ambrus glances at Kyra with a surprised look on his face, "All four contacts are esteemed venture captains and faction heads of the Pathfinder Lodge. Surely you must have heard of them?

"Oh, of course! I must have misread the names, how silly of me."
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowolf wrote:
not2fear wrote:
Ambrus glances at Kyra with a surprised look on his face, "All four contacts are esteemed venture captains and faction heads of the Pathfinder Lodge. Surely you must have heard of them?

"Oh, of course! I must have misread the names, how silly of me."

That one made me laugh out loud!

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Christopher
United States
Edwards
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The glossy look in Ezren's eyes lessens as he seems to come back from far away. I doubt there is much profit to be made at the docks as I'm sure Guaril keeps his purse-strings pulled tight just like any other shop owner on the docks. Let's do this little delivery errand I for one could use the walk.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Valsin stares at the group with enough irritation to melt granite. He says in an icy tone, "If there are no questions, perhaps you can decide outside. I have things to take care of!"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Christopher
United States
Edwards
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ezran gets up, nods to Valsin and wanders out the door. If this is our task let's be on with it!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Let me hear you hissssssss...."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zyxistal wrote:
Ezran gets up, nods to Valsin and wanders out the door. If this is our task let's be on with it!

"Lead the way, Youngin'"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Christopher
United States
Edwards
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ezren gives Merisiel a withering look but says nothing choosing instead to face the road and wait for the rest of the group to find the door.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyra gives Ambrus a shamed and apologetic look, "Of course, Captain.", then walks quickly out the door after the others.

When Osgood joins them: "Osgood, I can only hope that one day you will discover the pleasure of working for others without need of material reward. Should you need my help in surviving an adverse environment you can be sure I will not hesitate to provide it, but I see no need for such assistance here in the city. You're not allergic to camels are you?"

"Do any of you know the best way to get to the temple from here?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Christopher
United States
Edwards
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"You could pray for directions."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Søgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hayato shrugs off the comment from Valsin and follows the others outside.

Hayato have just seen a map of the city so when he hears Kyra's question, he points down a road in the direction of the Ascendant Court.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
7.00am

Given the "resounding consensus", the team heads to the Temple of the Shining Star, the Ascendant Court’s massive temple to Sarenrae, to meet with Ollysta Zadrian, a retired Pathfinder now operating the Silver Crusade, an effort to use the Society’s resources to help those in need and spread good deeds throughout the world.

The city is just waking up and the streets are starting to fill up nicely with folks heading to work or just going about their business. The party begins to make their way to the the Ascendant Court on foot.

Does anyone have any errands to run or equipment to acquire? Now would be a good time to RP it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lupine wrote:
*OsGood has errands to run and equipment to buy he first looks around to see what shops and opportunities are locally available.

Perception check: lupine previously rolled 1d20 = (11) = 11-1
Talons perception check lupine previously rolled 1d20 = (15) = 15+6

(my first die roll, hope it functions)

Pretty well done for a first attempt! In future you may wish to key in the bonus into the die roller by typing "1d20+6" into the "Roll" field of the die roller and "Perception (Talon)" into the comment field of the die roller. The result looks slightly more elegant:
Perception (Talon) 1d20+6 = (13) + 6 = 19

The style in my games is that generally I will make certain rolls for the players when the result or the very fact that I am making a check will give metagame info to the player. For example, the GM says "You search the room and find nothing". If you rolled a low Perception, as a player you will know that there might be something interesting, but your character was distracted and couldn't find it. On the other hand, if you rolled high, you'd know that there is probably nothing to find.
Another example- you meet a mysterious man, and you see me roll a Bluff check. Regardless of the roll, the players will know that the man is attempting to be untruthful.

Hence, I request that for these sort of checks, the players should either specifically declare them: "I am making a Perception check. My Perception is +5" or it comes across clearly in the RP: "My character is looking around for anything out of place". Let me make the rolls.

For the physical checks and stuff where the results are openly known or obvious e.g. Climb, swim, attacks etc, please feel free to go ahead and roll. Also, because this game is "rules lite" and I want the players to focus more on the RP than deal with technical details like checking stats, you may wish to hit the "auto" button and I will make the rolls accordingly.

From time to time, in the interest of not having to wait a day for someone just to make a die roll, I may use my discretion to roll on behalf of the player, just to keep things going. This is fairly important because if a particular scene takes too long and bogs down, it gets harder for everyone to focus and keep track of what's happening. I trust that this is ok with everyone.


Osgood sees that this is a normal market place, and commonly available items and produce can be purchased at... Well, for want of a better word, market price. Is there anything in particular Osgood is looking for?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 241289. not2fear
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (13) + 6 =
  • 19
  • Perception (Talon)
  • Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:37 am
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lupine wrote:
not2fear wrote:
Osgood sees that this is a normal market place, and commonly available items and produce can be purchased at... Well, for want of a better word, market price. Is there anything in particular Osgood is looking for?

in order of priority:
I wish to hire a forger to make a letter or letters for me
information about what special shops/stores/wares are in the city of Absalom
information about the "orphanage" we are meant to make a delivery to
information about the black market
I wish to purchase toys
I wish to purchase portable treats or confections

information about the local merchants guild

While I do encourage players to explore the environment, doing all of that will require a significant amount of time. It goes without saying that Valsin expects his errands to be completed reasonably promptly. How about you pick one task which you feel is most critical now and one more task after each assignment?
Does anyone else have any things to buy or matters to attend to?


Please thumb this post when you are ready to proceed or when you have posted your needs. This is how I keep track of who's still following
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm almost afraid to ask ... Robert, what document are you proposing to forge? If what you are hoping to achieve is reasonable, I will do my best to give effect to it. I am interested to hear your character's plans...
Forging your own documents requires skill ranks in the Linguistics skill.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
7.15am

Arriving at the Temple of the Shining Star, the party is immediately directed to Ollysta Zadrian. This paladin of Sarenrae is young in her years, but holds herself with the poise of a queen and warrior simultaneously. As she notices the your arrival, she strides forward, addressing the group in a strong voice.

“Thank the light of Sarenrae you have arrived! I knew Ambrus would come through for us in the Silver Crusade. I desperately need you to bring medicine to an orphanage and let me know if the headmistress, Gilga Baltwin, is deserving of our charity."

"Since our quest began, the needy have clamored for our aid, and I suspect some are abusing our generosity. It may sound cruel, but there are plenty of dishonest people out in the world eager for easy gold."
Ollysta frowns as she says this.



“Do you know of the Silver Crusade? After discovering so many factions splintered the Society, a number of us banded together to proliferate the cause of charity and kindness using the Society’s resources. As it is said, ‘The Dawn brings new light’ and I’ve made it my life’s work to use our recent darkness to bring a new light to the world and to the Pathfinder Society. I apologize for straying off point."Ollysta nods earnestly.

"Will you bring this parcel of medicine to Auntie Baltwin’s Home for Recovery in the Eastgate district?"

If there are any purchases or errands, you can go ahead and still make them... just post it IC in the form of a 'flashback'- I trust everyone knows how to do that!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lupine wrote:
Osgood wishes to hire a forger to make a letter or letters
(failing that, acquire the materials to make an official looking letter and attempt to craft one himself)


(upon further reflection, whatever makes the most sense for this particular city or this specific campaign)

(*UPDATE -- geek mail sent)

Just a gentle suggestion, Robert- the subscription notices trigger when new posts are made, but NOT when posts are edited. So if you edit your earlier posts, it is quite possible for me to miss it because I generally only look at the new posts (this is especially true if the edited post is on an earlier page). I generally just quote my own earlier post and make a new post...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Let me hear you hissssssss...."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


"We'll go scout out this orphanage, and see if this Gilda is all she claims. I've spent enough time with dishonest scum and backhanded fools to know one when I see one."
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] |