The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Thousand Year Old Vampire
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dinky Dungeons
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Avalon's Solo Adventure System
Shadowrun: Sixth World Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Rough Nights & Hard Days
Courts of Stone
LOAD ""
OVA: The Anime Role-Playing Game
Grimtina's Guard
Kids on Bikes
Ironsworn
Black Void
D&D Essentials Kit
Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
Trail of Cthulhu
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Pacific Rim Sourcebook
Melee
Powers & Perils (Basic Set)
Catapult Run
Big Rubble
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Symbaroum Core Rulebook
Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (Second Edition)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Starter Set (4th Edition)
Realms of Terrinoth
Amazing Tales
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Forbidden Lands Card Deck
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Magical Kitties Save the Day
No Future
Maximum Apocalypse the Roleplaying Game Quickstart Guide
The Scroll or the Blade
GM's Maps 87: Warehouse
Highfell
Sanderson Distillery
Lokis: Sacred Isles of the Northmen
Death Star Technical Companion
Cyberspace
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the gameplay thread for one of our offical RPG Geek Pathfinder Society Games. Click here to learn how you can join the guild and take part in our regular offering of sanctioned Pathfinder Society games!

Our cast of characters:


Character Player Class/Level PFS #

Artemis karpouzian Fighter (1) 68635-2
Faonton otterjets Magus (1) 66260-2
Kagebuto Brent Johnson Lore Warden(1) 55886-4
Zstelian Rynov vestige Cleric (1) 69322-1
Alron Lmooney Cavalier (1) 38366-5
Erwin ThatFedoraGuy Bard (1) 57945-2



Quick link to OOC thread.
Quick link to Character Depository.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you awake in the morning you notice that a sealed envelope was slipped under your door while you slept. Inside is an invitation to a party being held that evening at the Lantern Lodge, the beautiful and exotic estate of the Tian venture-captain, Amara Li, in Absalom's Petal District. Tonight, the invitation informs you, is the Snapdragon Festival, a traditional Gokan holiday featuring fireworks and rich plum wine. A hastily written note on the back of the envelope encourages you to dress to impress, and instructs to seek out the hostess and head of the Lantern Lodge, Amara Li, upon your arrival.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
"Ahhh, now this is what I thought being a Pathfinder was all about! Danger, intrigue, debutantes impressed by adventure! So, how about you, Artemis? Ready to rub shoulder's with the elite of Lantern Lodge?"

Erwin feels much better after a good night's sleep. The success of the day before has bolstered his spirits, and his ego.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Artemis looks terribly uncomfortable in his new, well pressed (probably for the last time) outfit, and understated jewelry, but he smiles at the excitable halfling. "I'm not so great at parties, Erwin, so maybe I'll just hide behind you..." And he chuckled at his own joke.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to continue to role-play any preparations you make for the festival. I'll most likely move the story along later tonight.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Erwin dresses for the evening.

Always wear your second best so that on the second outing, you can wear your first best. It gives the illusion that you are growing in their estimation. On the third meeting, your third best, to reflect you are down to earth and... Reachable. There is no fourth meeting.

Erwin winks at Zstellian then turns his attention to how he will fit his gear. The harmonica travels easily and slips into a pocket, but what about the rest? His rope? Weapons? Erwin slips as much onto his person as he can, refilling his pack.

Now what about the proper ettiquette? I really do not know much about the Lantern Lodge, or those hailing from their native lands. Do not misunderstand, I have known quite a few of the more... Delicate... of their countrymen, but their customs beyond in love, I am unaware.

Erwin allows himself to slip into some softer memories as he thinks of the ettiquette needed for the night.

Knowledge check 1d20 = (12) = 12
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 234236. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20 =
  • (12) =
  • 12
  • Knowledge check
  • Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:13 am
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Erwin recognizes the Snapdragon Festival as a traditional Gokan affair; but for the life of him he can't recall how to dress or behave like a traditional Gokan. There are a few tailors and clothiers in town that can help with the former...he can always just wing the latter.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the luckiest or most influential Pathfinders receive invitations to Amara Li’s annual Snapdragon Festival celebration, and wise recipients take advantage of them. The aroma of blooming orchids and flowing wine mixes with the acrid tang of recently exploded fireworks, and the sound of strangely discordant music comes from a duo of Tian women playing an unusual stringed instrument and a reed flute. The crowd mingles calmly, most guests clearly hoping to be seen more than actually paying attention to those with whom they converse, though the plum wine seems to have affected many who now move about the lodge’s grounds waving sparkling wands of fire and shooting whirring, whizzing fireworks into the sky above the koi pond.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dbeman wrote:
The crowd mingles calmly, most guests clearly hoping to be seen more than actually paying attention to those with whom they converse, though the plum wine seems to have affected many who now move about the lodge’s grounds waving sparkling wands of fire and shooting whirring, whizzing fireworks into the sky above the koi pond.


Artemis doesn't say much, except for the most socially acceptable (he hopes) of nods and smiles. He looks on, concerned at the psychopaths who thought giving strong drink (or copious amounts) to people who had access to fire was a good thing, and still he wonders why he has been invited to this gala, being neither lucky, nor influential.

"Well, I guess they need someone to put out the fires..."
Artemis says to himself, slightly more loudly than intended.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Hermance
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Faonton, not known for his social skills nor his acceptance among the elite of society, looks for Erwin in the crowd and decides to stay near him and let him charm everyone. While he just stays back and observe those around him.

Perception 1d20 = (18) = 18
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 234317. Otterjets
  • 1d20 =
  • (18) =
  • 18
  • Perception
  • Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:12 pm
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
dbeman wrote:
Only the luckiest or most influential Pathfinders receive invitations to Amara Li’s annual Snapdragon Festival celebration, and wise recipients take advantage of them. The aroma of blooming orchids and flowing wine mixes with the acrid tang of recently exploded fireworks, and the sound of strangely discordant music comes from a duo of Tian women playing an unusual stringed instrument and a reed flute. The crowd mingles calmly, most guests clearly hoping to be seen more than actually paying attention to those with whom they converse, though the plum wine seems to have affected many who now move about the lodge’s grounds waving sparkling wands of fire and shooting whirring, whizzing fireworks into the sky above the koi pond.



Taking a glass of wine in hand, Erwin moves deftly in and out of the crowd, speaking with as many as he can, making sure he is known and memorable. He inserts a quick laugh and a smart turn of phrase wherever he can. What he misses in stature, he gains in the size of his personality. He is only hindered by Faonton who insists on following him through the crowd. He pauses for a moment in front of the musicians. Lovely.
Diplomacy 1d20+7 = (18) + 7 = 25

As he drifts, he makes attempts to pocket a few of the fire wands for future fun and mischief.
Sleight of Hand 1d20+7 = (10) + 7 = 17

Erwin scans the crowd for his main purpose:to find his host, Amara Li.
Perception 1d20+6 = (4) + 6 = 10
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 234430. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (10) + 7 =
  • 17
  • Sleight of Hand
  • Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:27 am
  • [+]
  • 234431. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (18) + 7 =
  • 25
  • Diplomacy
  • Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:27 am
  • [+]
  • 234433. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (4) + 6 =
  • 10
  • Perception
  • Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:28 am
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Faonton keeps his eyes and ears open and hears hushed conversations about why the Pathfinders were present...most of them in their adventuring gear to boot.

Erwin, meanwhile, turns on the charm and turns up the mischief. He casually pockets a few firewalls while searching for Ms. Li. A servant taps him on the shoulder and holds out her hands with a stern, icy stare. Erwin plops the wands into her hand with a slight blush and a large smile. As she tucks the recovered wands away for safe keeping she beckons you to follow her to Amara Li's private study where you are presented in turn to the dignitary from the Lantern Lodge.

"Well met, Pathfinders, and welcome to the Lantern Lodge. I hope you find the Snapdragon Festival and my hospitality worthy of your time and energy. I have not brought you here for mere pleasantries, however, and wish to ask you to partake a dangerous mission on my behalf.

“Long ago, one of my most esteemed ancestors, who was rich in power but poor in sense, gave a gift to a foreign prince, a gift that prince did not deserve and my foolish ancestor had no right to give—a ceremonial jade katana. At the time the gift was sent, its recipient was invading this island. He laid siege to Absalom from his fortress in the foothills of the Kortos Mounts. Like those who came before him, the warlord failed to take Absalom and perished in the attempt. On the very day of his defeat, his castle crumbled to dust in a violent earthquake and has been lost to the centuries ever since. My family's heirloom was lost with it.

“A recent report by a group of Pathfinders gives me hope that they have finally found the ruin, and I might finally recover my family's treasure. I'm looking for an intrepid group to retrieve it for me, and I'm hoping that is you. The fame and wealth you will doubtlessly recover will bring you much honor within the Society, and if you deliver the katana to me, you will have my favor as you begin your careers as full agents of the Pathfinder Society.”
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Understand that you are exploring the ruins as Pathfinders, but the retrieval of the katana would be a personal favor for me.

But please...no more talk of business tonight. Please enjoy the festival! The fireworks promise to be spectacular!"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While you mingle and enjoy the celebration at Amara Li's Lantern Lodge, you are approached by Major Colson Maldris, esteemed Eagle Knight and head of the Andoran faction of Pathfinders.

"Greetings, Pathfinders! I hear you're headed out into the Cairnlands on official Society business. Best of luck outside the city walls, though you look like sturdy enough adventurers. Perhaps not Eagle Knight material, but qualified for the work of a Pathfinder.

“A word of warning, though, friends—beware the walking dead. The crumbling ruins surrounding the city are rife with them, and you're likely to run into more than your fair share over the course of your career. Undeath and the undead are more than just a physical peril, however. Undeath is the worst kind of slavery. And it should be eradicated like all servitude, whether to aristocracy or to mental control. Being enslaved to the flesh beyond when Pharasma calls one's soul to the Boneyard is a fate I wouldn't wish upon my greatest enemy.

"So while you plumb the depths of Asad's Keep, remember your solemn duty to your fellow man—both living and dead. Any undead you encounter along the way should be freed of their earthly shell. “If you prove your dedication to freedom, the resources of Andoran will be at your disposal in your future endeavors.”


As the Major finishes speaking a servant begs his attention and whispers something into his ear. The Major nods at the servant and returns his attention to you.

Sorry...urgent matters and all that. I trust that you'll do the right thing. Best of luck to you. I look forward to your report upon your return.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shortly after the Major leaves a well-dressed Keleshite man approaches them and asks for a quick word.

"Trade Prince Aaqir al'hakam at your service. Like a fast-spoken djinn, I'll get to the quick. I know where you are going. House Damaq of Qadira claim the ruin, but we are willing to allow you access for the price of a small deed easily accomplished during your adventure. You will be well-compensated, I assure you, for profits are most rewarding when shared. I assume treasure-seekers like yourselves are interested in such a proposition?

“The ruin is Qadiran, which is why we claim it, and we are willing to defend it, but there are really only certain things left in Asad's Keep we are interested in: trade agreements, of which we believe there to be many within the ruins. All we ask that you do is to turn over all trade agreements you find to us as soon as you return to Absalom, as we will be able to hold the signers to them even centuries after their signing.

“The satrap of Qadira—nay, the entire Padishah Empire of Kelesh—has much to offer the Pathfinder Society, and I personally have no qualms about sharing those resources with you, specifically.”


The Trade Prince thanks you before you have a chance to except or refuse his offer. As soon as he's finished speaking the fireworks begin. They're as splendid as Amara Li promised. When you return your attention to the Trade Prince he is no longer there. It is also clear that the party is winding down so you head out to get some rest for the next day's journey.



Feel free to role play any discussions with one another regarding your tasks...and you'll also have time to do some shopping before you set out in the morning. I'll drop the party off at Asad's Keep tomorrow evening.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zstelian very much enjoys the Festival - both the sights and the conversation, as it presents an opportunity to converse with travelers from any number of nations and even continents. He spends his time wandering about, collecting stories and tips from others.

He pays every courtesy possible to the three dignitaries who offer his group the mission, and as the group leaves he reviews their tasks. "So, Li would like us to explore this ruin, Asad's Keep, on the behalf of the Society and retrieve the katana as a personal favor. Maldris would like us to rid the place of undead, as a political statement. And the Prince would like us to return any trade agreements that we find to him, so that he may hold them over his enemies. Sounds straightforward enough, though I doubt this Keep will be quite so simple to explore as the warehouse we just found...."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You find travel to Asad's Keep to be arduous; the terrain is rocky and marred with the scars of millennia of wars, making it thirsty work to get to your destination; at which time you discover your directions have led you to a small gully.

At the end of the gully, about fifteen feet above the ground on a cliff face, is an ancient, ironbound door. Its wood is dried and cracked. Directly in front of the door is a steep slope of rubble and dust-crusted debris that, as luck would have it, provides a path—albeit a rough and difficult one —right up to the door
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perception 1d20+7 = (1) + 7 = 8

Artemis keeps an eye out for anything suspicious, his keen eyes searching the rocky landscape around the door.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 235892. karpouzian
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (1) + 7 =
  • 8
  • Perception
  • Wed Jan 2, 2013 4:18 pm
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
vestige wrote:
Zstelian very much enjoys the Festival - both the sights and the conversation, as it presents an opportunity to converse with travelers from any number of nations and even continents. He spends his time wandering about, collecting stories and tips from others.

He pays every courtesy possible to the three dignitaries who offer his group the mission, and as the group leaves he reviews their tasks. "So, Li would like us to explore this ruin, Asad's Keep, on the behalf of the Society and retrieve the katana as a personal favor. Maldris would like us to rid the place of undead, as a political statement. And the Prince would like us to return any trade agreements that we find to him, so that he may hold them over his enemies. Sounds straightforward enough, though I doubt this Keep will be quite so simple to explore as the warehouse we just found...."


Erwin considers the summary that Zstellian gives of their mission while making their way to the keep. He mutters under his breath giving himself a personal pep talk.

Excellent. Excellent.

Katana, Undead, Agreements. Agreements, Undead, Katana.

Perhaps this was not the line of work I was meant to join. After all, I would do much better as a captain! Sending out fellows to gather the fortune while I hosted and attended parties, what hey! But, there is the matter of glory. And this does appear to be the path. So it shall be trod.


He reviews his spell list.

Animate Rope and Sleep, but only 2x a day. I do hope we will not be sleeping in this foul pace. No rest is needed for the others. Message, Mage Hand, Detect Magic, Unwitting Ally. But... Ally targets a living creature. Are undead living? Now that is a question for the philosophers! Why didn't we bring one of those along? The pen is mightier, hey what! We could have fed the philosopher to some undead while we ran if all else fails. Philosophers are easy enough to come by, and most are in line for the hands the wooed. Bah. Silly talk. You are a pathfinder now, halfling! Play the music as it is written, no?

He pauses a moment as they come to the gate. His jaw drops open staring at the dusty path. Erwin turns to Zstellian.

Say, would you fancy yourself a philosopher?
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
karpouzian wrote:
karpouzian previously rolled 1d20+7 = (1) + 7 = 8 (Perception)

Artemis keeps an eye out for anything suspicious, his keen eyes searching the rocky landscape around the door.


Erwin's gaze follows Artemis. He tries to see what Artemis sees.

Perception 1d20+6 = (10) + 6 = 16
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 235896. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (10) + 6 =
  • 16
  • Perception
  • Wed Jan 2, 2013 4:26 pm
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kagebuto attempts to climb the path to the door.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Hermance
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Faonton Follows a few steps behind
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking 10 on the Climb check?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC: Theoretically how difficult is the climb up?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Otterjets wrote:
Faonton Follows a few steps behind


Erwin waits to see what happens as the others begin to cross to the door.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.