Popular Tags: 24-hour_rpg [+] RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
Contest thread: 2012 RPG Geek 24-hour RPG contest!
Voting thread: 2012 RPG Geek 24-hour Contest - VOTING HAS CLOSED!

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I announce to you the results of the 2012 RPG Geek 24-hour Contest. Without further ado, here they are:

d10-1 Arclight Revelation Tianmar by Lowell Francis
d10-2 Our Dust Earth by Todd Sanders
d10-3 The Wind in the Willows RPG by Steffan O'Sullivan

The winners:
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
explanation does not equal excuse
mbmbmbmbmb
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb

Large chunks of GeekGold will be going out to the well-deserved trio.

It is difficult to split the results down in great detail due to the nature of the single transferable voting system, but here are the top few positions that are at least partially discernible (with the proviso that these results are not directly meaningful, but rather a rough guide):

1st - Arclight Revelation Tianmar
2nd - Our Dust Earth
3rd - The Wind in the Willows RPG
4th - Men of Romance
5th - Eaten Away
6th - Breathless
7th - The Diminutive RPG
8th - One Night Only
9th= - Debrief / Noah's Mark
11th= - The Oathbreakers / We are all Star Stuff
13th= - Farmtopia / Holiday Heroes

More analysis will follow over the coming week (some has already been requested in advance). For now I give congratulations to the winners, and my great respect to everyone that entered (by running this contest, I neatly avoid the very difficult task of actually producing a workable submission).

Please do discuss your thoughts on any of the games. Which aspects did you find were particularly interesting to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a reminder, to find out about future iterations of this contest (or indeed any other contest run on RPG Geek) please subscribe to the RPG Geek Contest Subscription Thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Gardner
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, many thanks to Stelio, for organising such a great competition! I had a blast entering, and reading all the entries, so cheers for your efforts

Secondly, congratulations to Lowell, Todd, and Stefan! Excellent entries, and well deserved winners!

And finally, thanks to everyone who voted for One Night Only, and now that voting is over, I'd be very interested to hear any feedback, criticism, or thoughts about the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, all! And Tweeted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Congratulations, all! And Tweeted

+ 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmb
Congrats guys, well done! Even more congrats to all of you who entered - having done this once or twice before, it's a mammoth task and you should be proud!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to all of us for undertaking the task, but especially to Stelio and our three winners. Its been a trip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Many hoopy congratulations folks

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Owlbear!
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Congratulations to everyone who entered and thanks to Stelio for running this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I did much better than I thought! Also, congrats to the winners! Amazing stuff! Also also, who didn't see Steffan doing a Wind and the Willows game (which was great, by the way)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Please bury me with my copy of this book
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to the winners!

This contest was a lot of fun -- my thanks to Stelio for running it. I didn't plan to enter, but couldn't ignore a good idea when I had it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flabbergasted Rhino
Japan
Osaka
Kansai
flag msg tools
badge
Get Schwifty
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done everyone! Sad to see a few off the list. Looking forward to trying to spruce mine up over the holidays. Thanks Stelio!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to the winners!

I have to say, my ratings were way off. Granted, I did have Arclight as my #1, so I agreed with the majority on that, but I had two games in my top 7 that didn't even make the top 13. Usually I'm much better at predicting the results for contests like these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Frankfort
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.accessiblegames.biz
badge
Author of Psi-punk - Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb
dumwytgi wrote:
Also also, who didn't see Steffan doing a Wind and the Willows game (which was great, by the way)?
Aw, shucks - I thought I'd take everyone by surprise!

Third place, cool! Thanks to all who voted for my game.

I will say that the game I voted as first place did not even place in the top three, so the rest of you take heart! There were a *lot* of good games this round, and I feel flattered so many of you chose my game over most of the other excellent games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Gardner
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as far as my voting went, my three favourites were:

Breathless: this was the one game that when I finished reading, I immediately wanted to run. Such a simple premise, a single elegant mechanic, and as much depth as your players are willing to bring to it. I REALLY liked it, and I'm glad to see it did well!

Sins of the Confessional: I was VERY surprised not to see this near the top. Mechanics that tied nicely and meaningfully with theme, a unique and interesting setting, and the juxtaposition of saintly men and women and dirty politics. Another one I can see getting to the table some time. I'm left wondering what flaws other people saw in it that meant it didn't score so well?

Men of Romance: 4th place, and deservedly so. Again, a unique premise and well-thought out mechanics made it appeal straight away. What sealed the deal was the quality of writing, and the extent to which the tropes of the genre were woven into the fabric of the game. Sadly, I can't see myself playing it, which is a reflection on my play-groups, not the game, but it was enought to move it into third place for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
explanation does not equal excuse
mbmbmbmbmb
Really amazing set of games this year- and many of them that I look forward to seeing developed and expanded. My wife and I voted independently and then compared notes and found we differed on a number of choices. I think we both did top 12. A few I voted highly didn't make the top and some I did were presented, and the same for her list. Thanks to everyone who did give mine a thumbs up, but more importantly thanks to everyone who voted generally. I really hope to do some more work on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
New recruit to the spoonie army.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay results! I post this from my phone so sorry in advance for oddness; my phone and I are still in a power struggle.
Congratulations to everybody! Big congrats to top three winners.

Seeing the top list was cool .only one of my top 3 picks was in that list (and no, it wasn't my game. I didn't vote for self in top 3). I am intrigued and surprised by how things turned out and curious to see feedback on many entries. Sadly I probably won't get near computer today to write comments on the existing discussion geek list but intend to do so tomorrow. Thanks to.people who voted for my game. I am over the moon with the placing it got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to everyone who entered and huge thanks to Stelio for hearding us cats.

Very pleased to be in the top 10 with my first attempt. Thanks to the voters for that one. Actually huge props to anyone who took the time to read these and vote!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sad that Super Scout Squad didn't even make the top 14. Any feedback on the game would be much appreciated so I can see where I went wrong and hopefully do better next time.

My voting was way off too - 4 out of my top 10 don't appear in the top 14 list, and my favourite - One Night Only - only came in at #8.

Congratulations to the winners, and to everyone else too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my votes were way off as well. I was fifty-fifty for placing games in the top fourteen (seven of my top ten made my top ten), but none of the top three placed in my top ten, and only one of my top three placed on the top 14. To be fair, I had a bunch of games score a seven or higher (which is definitely in the playable range). It was a really amazing selection of games.

If anyone wants know know how their game fared and my thoughts on it, geekmail me, but I don't want to say much publicly because reasons. It's the teacher in me. I'm used to giving feedback privately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Congratulations, winners!
And congratulations to everyone who toughed it out and entered! You kept me entertained for days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Congrats all!

Now I just wonder how far down I ranked! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pleasantly surprised at my 2nd place finish and pleased to see the rest of the list. strong entries one and all, glad to be in such good company. i am happy to hear any feedback privately or publicly. i've been working on ironing out some of the rough spots in the interim and will have a v.2.0 later this week.

very glad also to see the romance novel game place so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to the winners!

Like most of the responders so far, my votes were way off (my top 14 did not include half of the actual top 14, and many not in the right order). I guess that just goes to show how many decent submissions there were. I thought the clear winner was obvious (We Are All Star Stuff), and it only tied for 11th! Crazy how that goes.

Again, congratulations.

As soon as that geeklist gets put up I will be commenting on All Of The Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |