The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Star Crossed
Art and Arcana: A Visual History
OSR Solo
Disciples of Bone & Shadow: Core Rules
Run Faster
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Ticket of Leave #14: Hark, Now Hear the Sailors Cry
Ironsworn
D&D Essentials Kit
Beamswords and Bazookas
Ninth World Bestiary 3
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
The Engagement of Adelaide Endicott
Spookshow
Domains of Dread
HR5: The Glory of Rome Campaign Sourcebook
The Adventurer's Toolkit
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Shadows of a Black Sun
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Numenera: Starter Set
The Wizard's Scroll (Issue 1)
Amazing Tales
Thousand Year Old Vampire
100 Books to Find on a Pugmire Bookshelf
The Sunken Village of Little Corth
MH-13: Decades: One-Shot Adventures
Highfell
Escape from the Coven of the Setting Sun
GMaid
Through Ultan's Door (Issue 2 - Jun 19)
MHHA-3: Infinity Warriors
Blightburg
Players Handbook (AD&D 1e)
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Monster Manual (AD&D 1e)
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 4e)
Forgotten Realms Player's Guide
Fiend Folio
Arcane Power
The Enemy Within Campaign Volume 1: Shadows Over Bögenhafen
Manual of the Planes
Angmar: Land of the Witch King
Call of Cthulhu (6th Edition)
Dread
Wilderness Survival Guide
Deities & Demigods
Greyhawk Adventures
Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
385 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 

Dungeon World Roleplaying Game» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: [IC] Castle Caldwell and Beyond rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to the In-Character thread for the Dungeon World conversion of B9: Castle Caldwell and Beyond. The OOC thread can be found here.

Chapter I - The Clearing of Caldwell Castle

Clifton Caldwell, a local merchant, has recently purchased a small castle located a few miles out of town. The castle had not been occupied for some time. Clifton had purchased the castle for, as the bards say, "a song" - it seems the previous owners were quick to want to distance themselves from the property. The offer to buy was too good to refuse so he bought it having only seen the outside of the castle. When he went to visit his new home, he found that it was filled by things that go bump in the night. And worse! He was lucky to escape with his life.

Now he seeks the aid of brave adventurers to rid the castle of monsters so he can move in. He sits with you at a local tavern in town - his current offering price is 100 coin apiece to rid the castle of any problems.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

The Dragon's Tooth. Not the most friendly of places - the lights are always a little dim and the staff doesn't ask questions. It's the place where deals get done - and most keep to themselves.

The four of you sit at a corner table set off a bit from the main floor. The place is rather deserted for it is hardly noontime outside and the place has just opened. A round of ale has been ordered from Clifton Caldwell who sits among you. He has put out the word - coin in exchange for the cleansing of his newly acquired castle.

He has offered you 100 coin each for this task.

Players may now act in any way they wish.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's like armour. But awesomer.
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
Avatar
mb
Hmm. Of course I'm going to help him. I've known the man too long to let him down on something like this. But I wonder what he saw that night? What did he learn of the secrets of that castle?

"Clifton, your offer is most generous. Given our history, I would gladly do this for free, but inflation being what it is...," I break off, chortling heartily and taking a deep slug from my tankard of ale. "I'm going to take the money. But I want you to know that I'm not comfortable about it."

"Now, you need to tell us what you saw that night. You've assembled a dream team here, if I do say so myself, but any information that you could give us would certainly aid in our quest. Isn't that right, boys? All the steel and wits and faith in the world won't help us without a little background. Lay it on us."


I look around the table, to gauge the reactions of the others.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Roplesaurus wrote:
"Now, you need to tell us what you saw that night. You've assembled a dream team here, if I do say so myself, but any information that you could give us would certainly aid in our quest. Isn't that right, boys? All the steel and wits and faith in the world won't help us without a little background. Lay it on us."

Clifton looks around as if he is concerned someone will hear of his problem, and then speaks, "I appreciate our family's continued friendship, Siggrun. And I will be as honest as I can in this matter. I will not lie: what little I saw of the inside is a mess. The previous owners abandoned the castle many months ago and were far too eager to sell. I can now understand why. The place is crawling with filth - apparently the castle was a safe haven for monsters once abandoned. No sooner did we get inside the castle walls when we encountered a band of three... no four goblins who have taken up residence. My servants screamed and ran. I was lucky to escape with my life. And we heard worse on our way out - howling from deep inside was enough to convince us that we were in way over our heads. So the call has gone out - and you have answered. I trust you can take care of this matter quickly and efficiently - without drawing much undo attention to the, um, situation?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I smile slightly at Caldwell's concerns. Goblins? Pshaw, as the humans say. I can only hope that the howls were something more exotic...

"Master Caldwell, of course, discretion is the better part of valor," I soothe him. "There is no need for others to know of your...situation. We are happy to conduct the exploration and, umm, liberation of your domicile quietly. Siggrun, in particular, is quite good at keeping secrets, you know," I say with a wink.

"Tell me, though, what do you know of the castle's history? Did the previous owner build it recently, or does it have more ancient roots?" I keep my tone neutral, but I dearly hope that there is more to this story than the mundane. Perhaps a font of magical summoning hidden in its nether reaches?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
"Tell me, though, what do you know of the castle's history? Did the previous owner build it recently, or does it have more ancient roots?" I keep my tone neutral, but I dearly hope that there is more to this story than the mundane. Perhaps a font of magical summoning hidden in its nether reaches?

Caldwell seems forthcoming, "The previous owners who sold it to me were not there hardly 6 months. That should have been a bad sign, I suppose. But the price... the price... too good to pass up! Before them? The castle belonged to a Count Von Belkar and his family. They had lived in it for more than 100 years. Strange folk, the Belkars."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Vuokko
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
I has a monocle!
badge
Ah, a brand new monocle.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Belkars? What became of them, had they no heir? Doubtly they just abandoned a castle. A few goblins aren't something to overrun a castle with people living in it."
I nod slightly "But yes, sounds reasonable work. You can trust us to take care of whatever is inside that place."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Indramir wrote:
"The Belkars? What became of them, had they no heir? Doubtly they just abandoned a castle."

Good question! Let's play to find out - does any other character know something about these Belkars?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Koene
United States
New Holstein
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Siggrun better be right about this. He owes me for that time I took him through the Red Hell Mountains. I expect to make some good coin on this job. 100? Sounds reasonable. I hope we can keep anything else we find.

"If the castle is overrun as you say, we can clear it out. How many floors are we talking?" Halek leans forward as Clifford talks.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Caldwell shifts through his belt pouch as he responds, "The castle is but one floor - roughly 10 feet high though the four towers rise up about 25 feet. In the center, it is open to the sky - something I was looking forward to when I took residence. Here... I have a basic floor plan that was drafted by the previous owners. You may take it with you."

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at the map along with the others, but I don't really see it. I'm distracted by the name, von Belkar, and trying to place it. Then it clicks together, and I almost giggle in excitement.

"von Belkar! That's it! Trieste von Belkar was a well-known natural philosopher of his time - a woman of no small magical talent, but more inclined to solve problems with a conventional approach. She was a well-known socialite before she practically vanished. Rumor is she had some secret experiments that she wanted to hide from prying eyes. Could this be the 'house' to which she retreated?" I can't even stop myself from rubbing my hands together in glee.

4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's like armour. But awesomer.
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
Avatar
mb
"Hmmph. I've never heard of her," I say grumpily.

"Well then. What else do we need to know, Clifton?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Roplesaurus wrote:
"Hmmph. I've never heard of her," I say grumpily.

"Well then. What else do we need to know, Clifton?"

Caldwell responds but is thinking about the von Belkars and this new bit of information. He is nodding as if he now understands why this castle might have under sold. He almost kicks himself for falling pray to the low price.

"There is little more I can say about the place. We left in such a hurry that I didn't even lock the front gate nor the main door. The castle was built with a myriad of windows along the outside so there should be plenty of light - at least for the outer rooms. Assuming you go during the day."

He pauses and then continues, "I'm eager to get my castle cleaned out. I'll pay you a quarter of the fee up front and the rest upon completion."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"And I am eager to explore Trieste's old hideaway! Are we ready, then, gentlemen?" It occurs to me that the others may want more gold, given what we are getting ourselves into. But what are a few pedestrian coins compared with the chance to explore this old castle, and plumb the mysteries it hides? Still, though, I happily scoop up the coins he puts before us. There's still a bit more room in that bag of books of mine!

I reach across the table and shake Caldwell's hand. "Fear not, good sir. We'll have this little problem cleared up in no time."

I assume we have directions to the place and that it's relatively nearby.

Anything else to ask him or say to him? And anything we want to do in town before departing?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's like armour. But awesomer.
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
Avatar
mb
I stand up, walk around the table and grasp Clifton's hand firmly, placing my other hand on top of it.

"Fear not. We'll get this taken care of for you. Say hello to Marjorie and the kids for me."

I turn to the others.

"Are we prepared, men? Then let us depart."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clifton Caldwell seems a bit more releived that the negotiations went well and he feels that he is in good hands. He pulls out a small pouch and places it in the middle of the table.

"Tis 100 coin. A quarter of the full payment which will be rendered upon clearing the castle."

He also hands you the keys to the front gate and front door and asks that you lock it up good when you finish up.

As this takes place, an early drinker known as a trouble-maker here in the Dragon's Tooth, stumbles by.

"Diiiid I just heeeear the jingle of cooooin?"

What do you do?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Koene
United States
New Holstein
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Halek stands up and moves to block the view of the drunk. "I think your ears are playing tricks on you good sir. Why not head over to the bar and get yourself a drink....on me." Halek escorts the man to the bar, places a coin on the bar and gives the barman/maid a knowing look. He also flips another coin to the barman/maid. "See that my acquaintance here is kept in his cups for awhile."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! That sounds like Defying Danger (in the book they say that the GM should never name their move, then they showcase every single example by starting with "that sounds like [insert move here]" - hehe!).

In this case you're ...using charm and social grace

Halek, Roll+Cha
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Koene
United States
New Holstein
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2d6-1 = (5 + 1) - 1 = 5
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 224198. kkoene
  • 2d6-1 =
  • (5 + 1) - 1 =
  • 5
  • Thu Dec 6, 2012 7:13 pm
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kkoene wrote:
kkoene previously rolled 2d6-1 = (5 + 1) - 1 = 5

The Drunk pipes up - louder than before, "No, no, nooooo. I heard ya talking to that Call-Well guy. He's filfyyy rich. We all knooow it. Ain't that right, Sam?"

Sam, the bartender, shrugs. He wants no part of this.

"Well, I waaaaant a cut. I'm able bodied and can be use-a-fulll."

He spits up a little on your boots. A few others in the tavern are hearing all this quite well.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Koene
United States
New Holstein
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Uh..fellas..a little help here with our drunken friend." Halek hisses at his companions.

Attempting to take a gruffer (is that even a word?) tone with the drunk, Halek says a little more sternly "This has nothing to do with you. I suggest you go about your business at the bar or we can take this outside!"

Not sure if I can try this again but here is another roll+CHA: 2d6-1 = (4 + 3) - 1 = 6
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 224221. kkoene
  • 2d6-1 =
  • (4 + 3) - 1 =
  • 6
  • Thu Dec 6, 2012 7:30 pm
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kkoene wrote:
Not sure if I can try this again but here is another roll+CHA: kkoene previously rolled 2d6-1 = (4 + 3) - 1 = 6

He isn't having any of your diplomacy. He brushes you off, "Fine. Haaaave it your way. I'm gonnaaaaaa um... yeah, I'm gonna tell my friends about this. Coin and honest woooork is hard to come by - and we never even got a shot at it!"

He staggers to the door and as he opens it, the bright light is almost too blinding for him and he puts one arm up to his face to shield his eyes.

Sam says, "Don't worry about that coot. He won't even remember that he was in here after he sleeps it off."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Koene
United States
New Holstein
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I certainly hope not. But we may have to watch our backs when going through the castle. Don't want him and his buddies sneaking up on us after we complete the job." Halek sits back down at the table.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the man struggling to go outside and hurry forward. Caldwell seemed quite clear that we keep this quiet, and even if this man forgets the incident in the morning, he's liable to tell all sorts of unsavory characters all about us in the meantime.

"Now, now, man," I say as I put an arm around him and shield his eyes with the other. "A shot at honest work is what you want, and that's fair enough. But it seems to me outdoors work is not what you are cut out for, eh? I'll tell you what: I'm in a spot of trouble back home, and I'm a bit worried about somebody coming after me. What I really need is a good man to watch out for me today - to sit quietly in here and watch out for any elves with shining plate armor asking around about my friends and I. And most certainly not say a word that they've seen me! There's three coins in it for anyone who can step up and keep an eye on The Dragon's Tooth. Think you can do that for me?", I say, dangling the coins in front of him as I steer him back inside.

I think this is a parley, with the leverage of money, looking for a promise to sit quietly in here until he falls asleep. Does that sound right?

Edit: here's a roll if necessary With Cha 2d6+1 = (4 + 1) + 1 = 6
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 224319. vestige
  • 2d6+1 =
  • (4 + 1) + 1 =
  • 6
  • With Cha
  • Thu Dec 6, 2012 10:01 pm
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's like armour. But awesomer.
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
Avatar
mb
That's it boys - get those crappy rolls out of the way while noone's life is on the line (at least directly)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.