Baker Street: Roleplaying in the World of Sherlock Holmes
Ten Candles
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Genesys Core Rulebook
The Umerican Survival Guide
Player's Handbook (D&D 3.5e)
Dungeons & Dragons Set 1: Basic Rules
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (First Edition)
B10: Night's Dark Terror
GW1: Legion of Gold
GURPS Ogre
City State of the World Emperor
Twilight Imperium: The Role-Playing Game
Game Master's Toolkit
De Profundis (2nd Edition)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Hollowpoint
Lure of Power
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
The Morrow Project 4th Edition
Operation: Shadowpoint
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Mass Effect RPG
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
FAITH Player Deck
The End of the World: Revolt of the Machines
Tales from the Loop
The Pit of Kutallu
DDAL7-01: A City on the Edge
Fey and Forest Classes
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
118 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Geekdo» Forums » News

Subject: 2012 Golden Geek Awards Winners! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: golden_geek_awards [+] [View All]
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
How can a game that isn't even classified as an abstract game be nominated for best abstract game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how can a game that was a PnP in 2009 and now is officially a retail game (and for which the award link was to said official version until just a bit ago) win 2012 PnP?

we all have our questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
schwarzott wrote:
How can a game that isn't even classified as an abstract game be nominated for best abstract game?

Classified according to who? 13% of users classify it as such on the subdomain poll (which is how games get "categorized" on BGG), and that's even when only being allowed to choose just a single category for the game, which is conservative considering many games are hybrids of different categories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
schwarzott wrote:

Classified according to who? 13% of users classify it as such on the subdomain poll (which is how games get "categorized" on BGG), and that's even when only being allowed to choose just a single category for the game, which is conservative considering many games are hybrids of different categories.
Classified by the database/community hosting the awards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Quote:
how can a game that was a PnP in 2009 and now is officially a retail game (and for which the award link was to said official version until just a bit ago) win 2012 PnP?

For the same reason that bud light is the most popular beer in the USA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
schwarzott wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
schwarzott wrote:

So show me where it says in the award rules that a minimum of 50% of users, when forced to choose only a single category, have to consider a game a specific category for the game to be considered a nominee in that category? If 49% of users considered it "abstract," that wouldn't be enough? But 51% would transform it into an abstract game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
schwarzott wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
schwarzott wrote:

So show me where it says in the award rules that a minimum of 50% of users, when forced to choose only a single category, have to consider a game a specific category for the game to be considered a nominee in that category? If 49% of users considered it "abstract," that wouldn't be enough? But 51% would transform it into an abstract game?
This is a pointless argument, I asked a question hoping to get a response from someone who runs the show not start an argument to no where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
sfox wrote:
Well I can at least take solace that Tzolkin will win the 2013 game of the year award to end the two year run of ameritrash titles taking the title.

Did you just call Dominant Species "Ameritrash"? It's a freaking worker placement game bro!

Actually I would call it Pangeatrash!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schwarzott wrote:
This is a pointless argument, I asked a question hoping to get a response from someone who runs the show not start an argument to no where.

No worries, I was just disputing your premise that "it is not categorized as an abstract game". I think when BGG established the subdomain user polls, and decided on a percentage level for which to display a game as, I would be surprised if they were thinking of that as a limiting criteria for how games should be categorized for the Geek awards or anything like that, it's just an interesting and useful tool in the same way the "# players" polls are.

Personally, I would argue that Kingdom Builder can be considered the same level of abstractedness as Chess, roughly. That is, if one is abstract the other should be also, as they both have some (minimal) thematic elements of admittedly varying degrees, but I wouldn't know where to draw the line between them. Then again I'm in a probably small minority that sees theme in Chess and doesn't consider it a pure abstract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Kan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Most of the awarded games from BoardGameGeek Golden Geek Winners! are not my cup of tea...sad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
I am missing some interesting information there; for example how many people voted, how many 'points' went to each of the winning games, which games came in second and third, how many 'points' did those get and so forth. It would make this award a bit more transparent to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't care less about the whining of the abstract gamers. Nobody likes those games anyway.

My beef is with the games in the Wargames category.

I mean, Sekigahara? A block game? Really? Block games are not wargames, they're more like war-themed toys. It is known.

And Virgin Queen? A CDG? Are you serious? If I want to play with cards, I'll play Poker. Or War. And I hate to break it to you, but despite the name, that's not a Wargame either.

And don't get me started on No Retreat. I mean, you've got to be effin' kiddin' me. A strategic East Front game with a 25 page rule"book" that plays in 2 hours? What will they try to sell us as Wargames next? Risk? Smallworld? Combat Commander?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratatoskr72 wrote:
What will they try to sell us as Wargames next? Risk? Smallworld? Combat Commander?

I'm not sure if you were just trying to set someone else up for this punchline, but Risk Legacy was actually one of the nominees for best wargame this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Ratatoskr72 wrote:
What will they try to sell us as Wargames next? Risk? Smallworld? Combat Commander?

I'm not sure if you were just trying to set someone else up for this punchline, but Risk Legacy was actually one of the nominees for best wargame this year.

I'm not sure why they even do the War Game category. It only elicits complaints. Maybe that's why they do it, though....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratatoskr72 wrote:
I couldn't care less about the whining of the abstract gamers. Nobody likes those games anyway.

My beef is with the games in the Wargames category.

I mean, Sekigahara? A block game? Really? Block games are not wargames, they're more like war-themed toys. It is known.

And Virgin Queen? A CDG? Are you serious? If I want to play with cards, I'll play Poker. Or War. And I hate to break it to you, but despite the name, that's not a Wargame either.

And don't get me started on No Retreat. I mean, you've got to be effin' kiddin' me. A strategic East Front game with a 25 page rule"book" that plays in 2 hours? What will they try to sell us as Wargames next? Risk? Smallworld? Combat Commander?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
resCube wrote:
Congrats to Richard Garfield - seems like it was his year. 5 awards with King of Tokyo and Netrunner

Maybe this will be the push needed to bring him back to spending more time on great board and card games instead of mediocre digital games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do feel like Feld got snubbed. Trajan is a masterpiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:

Indeed. Eclipse is a decent game, but really it's just a dice game with some Euro mechanics set in space when it comes down to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
sfox wrote:
Well I can at least take solace that Tzolkin will win the 2013 game of the year award to end the two year run of ameritrash titles taking the title.

Did you just call Dominant Species "Ameritrash"? It's a freaking worker placement game bro!

Litmus test:

"When the game ends, players will conduct a final scoring of each tile -- after which the player controlling the animal with the highest VP total wins the game."

Does that sound like Ameritrash?

Also, more scientifically, do you feel a desire to make "pew pew" noises while you are playing?

Not Ameritrash. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yichao Feng
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I'm doing some translations for this great list. Now that I've finished the winners list, where could I find all the nominee list to provide more information for geeks in China?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
yichof wrote:
I'm doing some translations for this great list. Now that I've finished the winners list, where could I find all the nominee list to provide more information for geeks in China?

Finalist list was here:
2012 Golden Geek Finalists Announced - Winners will be Announced on 11/17 - Vote for GOTY Now!

Nominee list was here:
2012 Golden Geek Awards - Nominees Announced - Voting Now Open!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:

Well, it was meant as a joke. Thought that'd be more obvious. Then again, with the amount of genuine crap floating around, I can see how one might be unsure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I had a feeling you were joking, Helmut. But I couldn't pass up the chance to post Spock. BGG needs more Spock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:

Yeah that was me. Trajan was all that is bad wih Feld, cobbled together and disjointed. I guess I wasn't the only one who thought so.

Is it really a shock that no 52 lost out to no 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.