Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Tales from the Loop
Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game
Legacy of Dragonholt
Players Handbook (AD&D 1e)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
C2: The Ghost Tower of Inverness
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Beyond the Mountains of Madness
Monster Manual II
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Ruins of the North
Maze of the Blue Medusa
Reign of Terror
The Breached Fortress of Anoros
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
Evernight
Fields of Ruin
Orcs of the High Mountains
The Vault and Time
ASE1: Anomalous Subsurface Environment: City of Denethix and Dungeon Level 1
The 9Qs
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Westward: Core Rulebook
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Storm King's Thunder
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
ADP6-04: Fantastic Locations: Fields of Ruin
Genesys Core Rulebook
Game Trade Magazine (Issue 211 - Sep 2017)
Borg Cube Collector's Edition Box
Star Trek Adventures Roleplaying Dice Set
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Shadows over Bögenhafen
Paranoia
Player's Handbook (AD&D 2e)
S2: White Plume Mountain
The Arcanum (First and Second Editions)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
118 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Geekdo» Forums » News

Subject: 2012 Golden Geek Awards Winners! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: golden_geek_awards [+] [View All]
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Overall, this is a solid list. Congratulations to the winners!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
Yay for Skyrim (twice)

But as for King of Tokyo...I just don't enjoy that game. Must be in the minority though.

Well, it's a children's game - up there with Gulo Gulo and Go Away Monster. Apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I can at least take solace that Tzolkin will win the 2013 game of the year award to end the two year run of ameritrash titles taking the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Well I can at least take solace that Tzolkin will win the 2013 game of the year award to end the two year run of ameritrash titles taking the title.

Did you just call Dominant Species "Ameritrash"? It's a freaking worker placement game bro!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
sfox wrote:

Did you just call Dominant Species "Ameritrash"? It's a freaking worker placement game bro!

I'll concede to calling it a hybrid maybe, but it has massive amounts of luck and direct conflict. You don't have to roll dice to be an ameritrash game. Just because it uses a mechanic that is often associated with euro games doesn't make it a euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
sfox wrote:

I'll concede to calling it a hybrid maybe, but it has massive amounts of luck and direct conflict. You don't have to roll dice to be an ameritrash game. Just because it uses a mechanic that is often associated with euro games doesn't make it a euro.

And wooden cubes, and turn order, and victory points, and an abstracted theme...etc.

Plenty of Euro games have massive amounts of luck (Thebes for instance). Plenty of Euro games have direct conflict (any area control Euro). Those two things do not an ameritrash game make.

Now, clearly it's not a typical "trading in the Mediterranean" Euro, but it's filled with Euro mechanics and just happens to have a couple of things that aren't necessarily commonly found in Euro games but aren't unheard of either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Massive amounts of luck and direct conflict, eh?
Who knew that Settlers is ameritrash?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Reiterating in this thread that that Valley Games used Kickstarter to contact the 2000 odd backers of the game (i.e. those that have purchased the commercial version) and asked them to consider casting a vote for it, which I don't think is fair. This award should have gone to one of the REAL print and play's that were in the running instead of having the voting skewed favourably towards DDD. I fully expected DDD to take the award (but not on merit) and BSG Express to take second place, but it really should be BSG Express that has the top spot.

Perhaps there should be a rule that prohibits games that have had a commercial release being entered into the print and play category?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm Gonna Wreck It!
United States
Spring Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chaz wrote:

You sir, just won the Internet. Congratulations.

JoffW wrote:

Perhaps there should be a rule that prohibits games that have had a commercial release being entered into the print and play category?

I fully agree with this sentiment. In all honestly, any "Vote for me" ideals should be absent from a competition like this (and disqualification considered) unless they are posted by the fans themselves. This isn't a high school student council race after all. What's next, campaign advertisements and flyers cluttering BGG banners?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't complain about the awardees. Happy that Eclipse and King of Tokyo won, and happier that I own them!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The Chaz wrote:

Trash, anyway. sauron

Congrats to all the winners!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay for Eclipse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a worthy set of award winners (D-day dice excepted).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

2012 Best Abstract Game
Kingdom Builder

If the mechanics don´t perfectly fit the theme, it´s an abstract?

For those who think of 2-player games without luck and hidden information when reading "Abstract Game",
please have a look at this list and vote for the game you think deserves the BEST COMBINATORIAL 2-PLAYER GAME OF 2011/2012 AWARD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
A great list - congrats to all the winners.

Sorry - I voted for KB in the Abstract category (but didn't nominate it there). It SHOULD be an abstract
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni Niittymaki
Finland
Helsinki
EU
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mb
Wow! Absolutely fantastic.
Our humble thanks for the BGG community for making this happen.

Lautapelit.fi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very glad for Eclipse. It fully deserves the title.

On a different note, I was secretly hoping 1989: Dawn of Freedom would win the 2-player award, but I guess it simply isn't that widely played. Amazing game, though - fully on a par with Twilight Struggle, albeit with quite a different feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - King of Tokyo is the Best Childrens Game, and the Best Family Game, and the Best Party Game? It just missed the Best Wargame title? And it's neither thematic nor abstract?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mb
Aldie forgot to mention that there is also a microbadge associated with this award. If you are part of a winning team (either designer, production staff, publisher, etc) for a Golden Geek winning entry, you are entitled to the coveted 2012 Golden Geek microbadge:

mb 2012 Golden Geek Winner

If you are eligible, just geekmail me and I'll get the microbadge awarded.

Also: if you're interested in the RPG side of things, please be sure to check out our RPG award celebration thread: 2012 RPG Golden Geeks - And the winners are...

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one I disagree with is Kingdom Builder. SDJ and best abstract? I suppose boredom on the scale of watching paint dry could be considered abstract. Oh well, it's a public vote. I don't have to agree with it, but I can be confused by it.

Was also half expecting Lords of Waterderp to appear on the list due to its sudden popularity. Still looking forward to trying that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
All the Kingdom Builder backlash is interesting, because many of the negative things I've read about the game were from people who were looking for more theme like more standard euros. So when I teach the game I tell people the game is "at its heart, an abstract" with a medieval thematic atmosphere/window dressing. But people won't really feel like they are conquering kingdoms or anything.

So while I agree it's not a pure abstract, it's a very abstract game. The other thing is that BGG is generally not populated by fans of abstract games (just look at the rankings of Chess), so any of the true abstracts would not get many votes at all just because people haven't even played them. So it stands to reason KB got many votes, and I'm glad people have realized that it's more abstract than most of its euro brethren, because that's its niche. Great game and congrats on its win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
The Chaz wrote:

The fact that Euroers seem to think that Settlers has direct conflict only proves his point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo Pescia
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC Dominant Species is listed as Ameritrash in Wikipedia...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
All the Kingdom Builder backlash is interesting, because many of the negative things I've read about the game were from people who were looking for more theme like more standard euros.

Most of the complaints I recall hearing about Kingdom Builder were complaints about the luck of the draw for your card each turn.

Which (coincidentally) makes it not really an abstract game in the sense of "like Chess or Go".

Personally I like playing a luckless variant of KB, where you simply choose your terrain type each turn. The luckless variant could be worthy of the "best abstract" award... but I doubt most players/voters have tried it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see where people think of Eclipse as an ameritrash game. To me, ameritrash involves sending hordes of armies against each other and rolling dice all game.

Ships are valuable in eclipse, and you don't just go shooting everything you can see. So much more than fighting in this game. I've considered rating it a 10, as it's on the same level of fun as my beloved Wallenstein. Another game where people fight, but sparingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.