D&D Essentials Kit
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dusk City Outlaws Core Game
We Be Heroes?
Mythic D6 Quick Start
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Dungeon Crawl Classics Quick Start Rules & Intro Adventure (Free RPG Day 2019)
ALIEN Cinematic Starter Kit
Scarlet Heroes
The Clay That Woke
Breachworld
Kids on Bikes
Skitter Crash
The Witcher: Easy Mode
Land of Myth: Age of Palaces
The Feast of the Dead
Acquisitions Incorporated
The New Easy-to-Master Dungeons & Dragons Game
The Great Pendragon Campaign
City State of the Invincible Overlord
The Quiet Year
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The GameMaster's Apprentice
The Skeletons
Cepheus Engine System Reference Document
Dialect: A Game About Language And How It Dies
The Black Hack Character Sheets (2nd Edition)
Modern AGE Quickstart - Threefold
Animal Adventures: Tales of Dungeons & Doggies: Raiders of the Lost Bark
Shadowrun: Sixth World Beginner Box
Tales of the Old Margreve (5E)
The Quintessential Fighter
Mount Gundabad
Thieves of Tharbad
Star Wars: Invasion of Theed Adventure Game
Monster Manual (D&D 3.5e)
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
L1: The Secret of Bone Hill
Book 05: City of Thieves
SLA Industries (1st Edition)
Burros & Bandidos
Dungeons & Dragons Set 3: Companion Rules
Delta Green
Warlords of the Desert
GURPS Atomic Horror
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: 2012 RPG Golden Geek Finalists! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all over but the shouting... votes have been cast and while the winners have been chosen they will not be revealed until Saturday 17-November-2012. I will announce them here simultaneously with the live announcement ceremony at BGG.con

As is tradition, we showcase the top 3 vote-getters for each category. These are the 'Finalists' although the winners have already been determined (and locked away in a hermetically sealed mayonnaise jar).

The Finalists shown below are listed in alphabetical order. Actual winners will be announced on 17-Nov-2012

RPGGeek Golden Geek Finalists

Game of the Year
Dungeon World
Microscope
The One Ring

Best Artwork & Pres.
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition

Best Supplement
Cthulhu by Gaslight 3rd Edition
Fiasco Companion
Masks: 1,000 Memorable NPCs for Any Roleplaying Game

Best Podcast
Fear the Boot
Jennisodes
Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff
The Walking Eye Podcast

We had a tie in Best Podcast so 4 finalists are listed.

What a fantastic list of nominees and now this creme-De-le-creme of finalists really showcases some amazing RPG products. Good luck to all finalists and stay tuned for the winners to be announced on Saturday 17-Nov-2012!

PS: Feel free to hoot, holler and tweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmb
Hmmm!! Mayonnaise...!!

Congratulations to all the finalists!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
looking forward to hear who won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Much Soccer!
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll hoot and holler!

Dungeon World as a finalist makes me scratch my head, but I think it's going to place third this year and is a shoe-in to win in 2013 after Dungeon World Roleplaying Game is actually released in print. If Dave would have let me, I would have bet money the third finalist would have been Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (who I initially thought was going to win) or Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game.

If my latest prognostication is correct, One Ring and Microscope are neck and neck.

Go Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff! It's the first podcast in a long time that gets released and goes to the top spot on my listening list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, a tie in podcasts! I listen to 'em all, but Ken and Robin... shows that all you need to have the best podcast of the year are brains and vocabulary the sizes of planets.

Good categories, all. I also was surprised not to see Marvel Heroes there, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
I'll hoot and holler!

Dungeon World as a finalist makes me scratch my head, but I think it's going to place third this year and is a shoe-in to win in 2013 after Dungeon World Roleplaying Game is actually released in print. If Dave would have let me, I would have bet money the third finalist would have been Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (who I initially thought was going to win) or Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game.

If my latest prognostication is correct, One Ring and Microscope are neck and neck.

Go Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff! It's the first podcast in a long time that gets released and goes to the top spot on my listening list.

Little surprised about Dungeon World (as much as I like it), since the full version is only available to Kickstarter backers and the physical book isn't out yet, but well-deserving. Microscope is great, of course. I have not had the opportunity to play The One Ring (and didn't rank it in my votes), so no opinion.

Among many others, I am a little surprised that MHR didn't get nominated either. But it should still be eligible next year, so perhaps when more people get the opportunity to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got to echo the sentiment that a game that's not even released yet shouldn't even be in contention. If the game is as good as everyone says it has it deserves to win next year when it's actually released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
https://rpggeek.com/blog/6320
badge
mb
Rishi wrote:

Little surprised about Dungeon World (as much as I like it), since the full version is only available to Kickstarter backers and the physical book isn't out yet, but well-deserving.

The full version as text is available to everyone, and various intrepid folks have been packaging it up as PDFs as they go. example

GilvanBlight wrote:
I've got to echo the sentiment that a game that's not even released yet shouldn't even be in contention. If the game is as good as everyone says it has it deserves to win next year when it's actually released.

You're right on some level; if anything it seems the game should be evaluated based on an item that exists in a finished form (i.e. the Red Book edition).

Then again, 13th Age was also made that list and how much of the final version of that game had anyone seen by the time nominations were opened?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Much Soccer!
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, Dungeon World Basic Roleplaying Game would be part of the 2012 process too. 56 owners with an 8.16 rating which isn't too shabby. Still, while I played DW twice in a preview version, I didn't cast a vote for it since I didn't play a finished version (and I've never seen the Basic book).

shawnssica wrote:
Then again, 13th Age was also made that list and how much of the final version of that game had anyone seen by the time nominations were opened?

That one had me scratching my head more. Only 6 people have claimed ownership of the 13th Age (Escalation Edition). I know folks don't always log their collections, but there's normally a stronger correlation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
Among many others, I am a little surprised that MHR didn't get nominated either. But it should still be eligible next year, so perhaps when more people get the opportunity to play it.

I'm not supposed to say anything about any of this but I will say that MHR was SO very close to being in that list and it came down to several tie-breakers ... in fact the order of the top 4 were determined by about 5 votes overall). We urged people to vote - and in the end the finalists and winners are exactly what was chosen by a subset of RPG Geeks who cared enough to cast votes - I think they are all amazing products!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.