Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (1st Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Pathfinder Society Play: Echoes of the Overwatched IC thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2012 [+] [View All]
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Link to OOC character gen thread is HERE.

This is a Pathfinder Society game, using the scenario:
Echoes of the Overwatched

The players:
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmb
S H
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb

Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If you are just browsing this thread and have questions or want to get in on a sanctioned Society game, check out our guild here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb

Character Cur/Max HP Status Player

Flinder Fizzlefinger 16/16 ---- Narl
Celestin Valette 17/17 ---- Shadow Hexagram
Merisel Sarven 19/19 ---- jatang
Daggert Pennyfellow 20/20 ---- MikeHadfield
Synagas 9/9 ---- maceman121

Flinder: cloak of resistance bought
Merisel: +1 AC bracers bought (1,000 gp)
grappling hook, 1 gp
5 pitons, 5 sp total
50 (more) feet silk rope, 10 gp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb

so you can read the intro at your leisure...

Responding to Drandle's message that was left on your beds, the group assembles the next morning and makes their way down the familiar corridors of the buildling...

Drandle Dreng’s entrance is as understated as always at the meeting with him this morning. He carries stacks of papers and tomes, and shedding stray pages as he makes his way toward a large, cushioned chair; once seated, he greets you warmly.

“Welcome, welcome, glad to see you’ve made yourself at home. No point in beating around the bush, since I’m sure you’re all very curious why I called you here today, hm?

“As you may or may not know, the Society has been bolstering its influence with the esteemed Blakros family for some time now, and have assisted them and their famous museum with various incidents over the past few years—discovering several new levels of catacombs in the process.

“Just recently, the Blakros Museum’s curator, Nigel Aldain, informed us that he’d discovered a mysterious portal within the building’s vast catacombs, and sought information regarding how to open it. We sent one of our agents, a man by the name of Anumet Akrostera, to help research the matter further, which involved delving into the various attics and crawlspaces of the Blakros Museum in search of clues that might lead to the whereabouts of the portal’s key.

“Earlier today, Nigel showed up here, claiming that something was wrong with Anumet. It seems that the Pathfinder set off some sort of curse or trap while poking around in the place’s attics and was acting strangely, and now he can’t be found at all. I need you to head to Blakros Museum and get to the bottom of this. Find Anumet, and if he has gotten himself into irreparable trouble, you’ll also need to take up where he left off and find that key.

"Good luck and work quickly, Pathfinders.”

anyone with knowledge: local, diplomacy, or knowledge: history can toss in a roll to see what your character already knows about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Célestin, leaning on a side wall listens attentively and tries to remember if he's ever heard of such odd names before.

Diplomacy 1d20+6 = (5) + 6 = 11

edit:

But nope! It doesn't ring a bell at all so he'll do as usual: he'll rely on his more knowledgeable friends and do his best with all the traps and dangers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 203565. Shadow Hexagram
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (5) + 6 =
  • Diplomacy
  • Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:35 pm
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venture-Captain, I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the Blakros family and their influence with the PFS. Is there anything you can tell us that might make the job easier?

Diplomacy 1d20+8 = (14) + 8 = 22
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 203573. MikeHadfield
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (14) + 8 =
  • Diplomacy
  • Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:56 pm
S H
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
Synagas takes a settled place against the wall, hoping to have made it there before such high commodity places like it became over crowded, listening and trying to figure out what he knew of those spoken of.

Diplomacy 1d20+8 = (2) + 8 = 10

Of course, Synagas knows about as little on this information as is possible to know on anything for him, and so focus remains tight as he tries to learn and remember as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 203754. maceman121
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (2) + 8 =
  • Diplomacy
  • Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:39 am
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Célestin and Synagas recall...

the Blakros Museum is owned by the esteemed House Blakros, an extensive clan whose family members have made their fortune by trading odd antiquities across the border of Taldor and Qadira, as well as by marrying off their beautiful daughters to wealthy nobles all around the world. They store many of their curious gifts and the findings of their more adventurous daughters in exhibits in the Blakros Museum, which they purchased for just this purpose.

Further, Daggert remembers cautionary words from a paladin trainer in the past, when he and Daggert walked by the building one day...

The Pathfinder Society is interested in forming an alliance with the Blakros family to gain access to their extensive collection of historical and arcane treasures. The eccentric astrologer Ralzeros the Overwatched originally built this sprawling stronghold of black basalt carved from the bedrock of the Isle of Kortos as his sanctum and observatory. With his myriad astrological devices, Ralzeros observed the otherworldly forces that resided in the Dark Tapestry far beyond Golarion, and in turn, those forces watched him...

Many pieces in the Blakros’s collection are connected to the Dark Tapestry or other otherworldly horrors studied by Ralzeros, and a wise Paladin will be very wary if he has to go in there...

Drendle interrupts further thought, asking if the party is ready to go yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merisel picks up the stray papers for the Venture Captain, all the while listening attentively. She has heard of the Blakros Museum. It sounds like an interesting, yet eerie, place. Hopefully, one of her companions will know something helpful about the Museum. Even if not, their recent experiences make her confident in her group's ability to handle whatever they encounter.

Occasionally she can't help admiring her wrists, where she is wearing the +1 bracers she bought yesterday. They are in perfect condition, with an aura of newness. It amazes her that after a few days of work as a Junior Pathfinder she can afford such good armor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flinder is deep in thought, does these words ring any bells? In any of his books, has he every read anything about it? He hopes to know more.

"Thank you for your trust in us milord, is there anything else you want us to look after?

Diplomacy 1d20+4 = (13) + 4 = 17

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 203974. Narl
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (13) + 4 =
  • Diplomacy
  • Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:51 pm
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhat letting his eyes glaze over at the details, Daggert cinches up his bootstraps and heads to the door.

Don't worry Venture-Captain, we'll set things right and bring back this Amnut fellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
Synagas smirks a bit at the idea of picking up where a failed man previous left off, the implications of it quite amusing and yet he states nothing, just listening as the others talk about doing what was asked. Giving a bit of a sigh, he would nod to the end with a soft voice slipping his throat to be barely heard by any even nearby.

Off to a deathtrap to continue the trappings of a fool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Célestin looks a bit worried though and asks "A portal, you said? The growing presence of evil entities in Golarion is rising up at an alarming rate! Have you got any more details to give us about those?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Drendle smiles gently. "As soon as you tell me what you find out, yes. Other than that, we don't, really. That's why we sent Anumet."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Their questions either answered or rebuffed, the group gets their gear together and heads through town to the Blakros Museum.

Towering over the western skyline of the Wise Quarter of Absalom, this black basalt tower rises up above the lights of the city to oberserve the night skies. Owned by the Blakros family, they convered the enormous building into a museum to display their various treasures and strange artifacts from generations of trade and adventuring.

As the group reaches the large flat stairs rising from the street up to the large gothic entranceway, an older man, clearly upset, moves forward from the doors to meet them. After a cursory review of the group's letter of introduction from the Pathfinder Society, the man nods in satisfaction and leads the group into the building with a wave of his hand, and leads the way to a small office just insde the entryway.

Turning, he begins to speak, stress slipping away as he finally gets out what's bothering him...

"Hello, hello, I'm Nigel Aldain, a curator here at the museum. Pardon my checking your letter before speaking, but we cannot be too careful with all of the items stored here.

"Thank the gods you’re finally here. It would appear something quite bizarre has happened to my new Pathfinder-turned-assistant, Anumet Akrostera, while we were researching the key to the newly discovered portal beneath the museum. I had warned Anumet that many corners of the museum hold mysteries that, as of yet, have never been looked into, but I’m afraid something got to him all the same, as the last time yesterday I saw him he was acting quite strangely, and he failed to return today. I fear something evil in the attics of the museum may have...cursed him, I'm sorry to say.

"Anumet was exploring the museum’s attics and towers looking for clues about the key to a newly discovered portal in the museum’s catacombs. This morning, he went up to the attic for a long time, and when he came down, he acted strangely, as if he didn’t recognize anyone. His voice was hoarse and the words he used were bizarre and archaic. He kept rambling about Ralzeros the Overwatched, but nothing he said made sense.

“He made for the catacombs and stared at the portal we’ve been trying to unlock for some time. I don’t think he realized I was still there, and I followed him around the other areas in the catacombs, where he seemed to be desperately searching for something. When he couldn’t find it, he was furious. Anumet avoided me after that, but I saw him look something up in our copy of Jackdaw’s History of the True Art, a book about famous wizards and astrologers. He took the book with him and ran out of the museum. I didn’t dare follow him, and haven’t seen him since.

"Is there anything else I can tell you?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, he ran out of the museum? So he's not even here anymore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
The curator nods, "Yes, good sir, that's correct. I have no idea where he went, but before he left, he was muttering something about Ralzeros's duel, but he was all hunched over and creepy looking, so I didn't ask him what he meant."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, what can you tell us about Razerlos? Or his duel? Anything that might give us a hint where he was off to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Nigel shrugs, saying "I do not know where he was heading. A duel--who knows? Wizards do that sort of thing, don't they? As to Razerlos, I know he studied many strange things, and after he left the Blakros family took over the place as it was abandonded for some time."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
Synagas thinks a moment, trying to use his wisdom to puzzle something out in his mind before looking up to the curator.

Sir, do you happen to have, or know of the location of, a copy of this book Anumet was reading, this... Jackdaw’s History of the True Art? Perhaps it shall shed light onto this duel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flinder is interested in his answer. He tries to remember if he ever read the book himself but he has studied so many books it is hard to keep them apart sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merisel pays close attention for information that could be helpful. Museums, magic and portals are not her areas of expertise. Still, something has caught her attention.

"Mr. Nigel, if the portal is in the catacombs, why would anyone look for a key in the attics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daggert scuffs his feat a bit and shrugs. Investigative work is not really his thing. Maybe we should just go have a look at this portal? Although you said the strangeness started after he went to the attic? Maybe you can lead us there and we'll start in the attic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
"History of the True Art? I don’t really know. It does discuss Ralzeros the Overwatched quite a bit. Forae Logos is the only other place I can think that would have a copy.”

everyone would know that Forae Logos is the name of the huge library kept by the Scrivner Guild in Absalom

Turning to Merisel, he continues..."The attics and towers of the museum are too rickety and awkward for any practical use these days, but they’ve been there since the Blakros family bought the place. Tales say that Ralzeros the Overwatched put machines there that he used to observe the stars and heavens above. Judging by how strangely everything up there is laid out, I suspect that the stories are right when they say he was insane. Perhaps he was looking for something?”

To Daggert, he comments, “It was discovered a couple days ago when the museum’s workmen were clearing the basement levels out to store more of the Blakros family’s treasures. It’s a door a bit bigger than a human, and its bizarre decorations made my stomach churn just looking at them. You’re welcome to have a look for yourself if you wish.”

Nigel gestures vaguely at a winding staircase leading down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daggert looks at his companions questioningly, Shall we?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
"Let's get this done then." Célestin answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [18] |