Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
karlkrlarsson wrote:

Chung discovers that getting entry into the parts of the port used for merchant traffic is very hard, thought it is easy to get a list of ships and get in contact with their crew.

I am going to need a roll here of some kind, to deal with the smugglers/traders/merchants.

Deception, Customs Tricks, Smugglers

Hmm... how to play this one? We've got the nice way, and we've got the not nice way. We'll go the nice way for now... no need to bring more attention to our group.

After a careful review of the KPA Customs regulations, Chung decides on a plan...

Gizem, I need you to find me some organic material, ideally a lung or heart of some livestock or similar, but pretty much anything will do. I promised some friends of mine a souvenir. The less fresh the better.

While he awaits Gizem's return, Chung will find a nanofabricator and build a sturdy box, covered with "live tissue" and similar warnings for shipping the offal. He'll also contract for (slow boat) delivery of said package to a random Jovian official on a ship docked as deep into the port as he can find. Equipped with his sealed box of "Tissue samples", a ship to deliver it to, and a rough idea of the local custom delivery laws, Chung will patiently explain that he is personally required by contract to his Jovian employer to ensure safe delivery of this delicate cargo to the vessel engaged for delivery.

Once past the gate, he'll promptly lose any sense of direction, and get lost in the starport...

Profession (Customs Procedures 50 1d100 = (22) = 22

I like my doubles devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 220392. nyriv
  • 1d100 =
  • (22) =
  • Profession (Customs Procedures 50
  • Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:48 am
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry everyone - I got behind and then was out of town during Thanksgiving and was dismayed to find that I had almost no internet access at the in-laws.

Bob is a 'man' of few words. He doesn't directly converse with anyone (even when spoken to at times) unless he thinks what he has to say is important. As such, he has been quiet during most of the time with Gizem and at the hotel.

Bob has been silently working on trying to get an organized sense of how the mesh in and around the Cluster works. He has a sneaking suspicion that the disarray and lack of structure is by design. There are things that the KPA doesn't want easily found, and Bob is determined to find a consistent schema in the mess of a mesh. Bob would also like to get an idea about the security measures in place in the different parts of the cluster...
Can I use infiltration or interfacing (or maybe infosec) to get a sense of how the different power structures in the cluster work? That is, how is the security system organized, how are the different factions controlled/tracked via the mesh and other computerized systems, etc?
Roll: target is 50 if infiltration or interfacing, but 60 if infosec is used = 1d100 = (46) = 46

Bob is also very interested in this Leonid Flare person. He spends some time doing some basic research on the dossier of Mr. Flare, including any aliases, previous jobs, time working with the KPA, and habits - i.e. does he always go to the same coffee shop where we might find him? Bob thinks to himself how dumb meat sacks are sometimes for being so married to their own habits.
Research roll (target 60): 1d100 = (70) = 70
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 220414. lorddillon
  • 1d100 =
  • (46) =
  • Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:34 am
  • [+]
  • 220419. lorddillon
  • 1d100 =
  • (70) =
  • Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:39 am
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex leans back after the newscast and taps his finger to his cheek. Some of his bravado seems to have worn off....

"Hmmm. Unfortunate, that. There is probably no putting the transcat back in the bag, is there? And, probably, if the KPA gets nervous about me, they won't have a hard time figuring out I've been traveling with you all. Except perhaps Bob, who does such a nice job staying hidden.

"So the question is how to respond. One mystery is why they claim I am asking so many questions about the KPA, when I was avoiding just that. Apparently someone here has a vendetta against me. And, the decision: do I back off and disavow, pretend to be a tourist? Or, instead, go all out against the KPA, to distract them from our real goal?" Rex's eyes glitter at the latter possibility, but he looks to his companions for their advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavin listens to Rex, and offers his advice.

"The military teaches that operations should be conducted with three things in mind, Mr. Redrocks: surprise, speed, and violence of action. We have lost one aspect of surprise. We shall assume that our group has been discovered and may well be under surveillance.

Our purpose for being here, however, has not been discovered, and we must ensure that it does not come to light. Pretending to be a tourist should not be an option. We must distract them, leading them in another direction while we pursue our true mission. We must do it as quickly as possible, since many eyes may be upon us. Once we determine how to obtain Mr. Anderson, we do so in such a way as to guarantee our success."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Few people from the inner system come here, so Gavin finds few people who can help him out. He does learn one thing, and that is that c-rep is rare here, increasing its value. Apparently the KPA wants to tap this market, which means that people from the inner systems sometimes get a better treatment, and gets away with more.

-

Bob notices something peculiar about the Mesh, there is a large black hole in it. The Ultimate fortress is kept separate from the rest of the Mesh. There are places where they lock together, but if you want to access from there, you need to be in the physical location. Tracking and controlling within the Cluster is hard. Bob expect there to be heavier security in the restricted areas, but the public areas only has human guards and cameras. The restricted areas are probably so large they can't have the most sophisticated surveillance devices. They might still be found inside the most secret areas though.

Bob feels there are plenty of loopholes within both the Fortress and the restricted parts of the port regular. Getting entry in the first place, will be harder.

-

After one of his many errands for you, Gizem tells you that a friend of him has said he has spotted the Futura morph of the guy working for the Ultimates. “He goes by the handle of Lash von der Blitz. At the moment he is gambling on gorilla wrestling at a scum barge.”

-

As you ponder what to do, Chung returns with his box with “live tissue”. He got nowhere with the inspectors, but did fill out a bunch of forms. All to perfection, all with false information. Before you decide what to do next, Chung gets a call from an official the KPA. It is a friendly looking fellow in a black uniform. “Good evening sir. I have personally looked over your papers, and I see that they are all in order. We strive to be effective here at the station, but I hope you can understand we also have to be thorough. It is rare we have deliveries from inside the station to docked vessels, so the representative you talked to was unsure of the procedure. If you come to the KPA booth at the public terminal I will give you a yellow access card. It will grant you access to public and low level restricted areas within the port.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Chung takes in the flow of information, feeling that the group is starting to gather some useful data now.

With surprise, many battles are won without a shot. No doubt the KPA now knows at least Rex is snooping around, and we should assume they know of us as well. But they don't know why, and therefore they don't know where. They can't lock down the entire port, and will probably focus on their core assets which we don't care about.

This unfortunate revelation could be very much of use if we need to distract their reaction units away from where we really need to strike.

I am a bit concerned however, that I'm just now being asked to go to what is surely a high security area -- if they're on to us, it could be a trap.

Do I know the rough access granted by a Yellow Card? Do I have to worry about getting a second one and being ejected out of an airlock?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, his experience tells Chung the following. A green card is access to the bay you are in, yellow is for travel between them, orange is to areas used in the operation of the facility, while red is for areas crucial to the operation of the facility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"It is strange indeed that they are summoning you for a pass - one would think even the KPA would have electronic permissions, though perhaps they are more worried about spoofing than good old-fashioned counterfeiting. In any case, I do not believe that we should tempt fate by arriving together - though in such a public place I imagine all four of us could concoct excuses to be nearby."

Then Rex smiles evilly. "Meanwhille, so long as I am supposed to gather dirt on the KPA, I may as well pretend to do so."

Rex will start work to grow a meme on the Mesh. I've no idea how that should work, but he has Academics [Memetics] and Art [Writing], so it seems like something should be possibly in conjunction with his Networking and Reps. Any thoughts on what to do?

The goal is to turn

Rex knows KPA

into a system-wide meme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Great Idea!

Can Bob assist Rex in his efforts to seed the meme? Bob would find it rather easy, I think, to add the meme into all XP files that have been generated since we arrived at the cluster. Or perhaps he should make it for 2 or 3 days before we arrived, giving the idea that he had a lead that he was working on that actually brought him to the cluster to investigate the KPA.

So, I think:
1. Seed XP files
2. Seed news feeds
3. Seed social media
4. Seed local lore
5. Seed open KPA comm channels

The system is already messy and indirect, now that Bob knows the structure, it should be easy to put out a variety of information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You can both give me aroll at +10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it boss!
fingers crossed, holding my tongue just right... 1d100+10 = (40) + 10 = 50
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 221939. lorddillon
  • 1d100+10 =
  • (40) + 10 =
  • Mon Dec 3, 2012 5:28 am
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
It looks like Chung will brave the customs people on his own. Off to begin the deliver of a vital chunk of rotten flesh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
All modifiers are to the target number, not the die roll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex's roll 1d100 = (98) = 98 (target would be 65 for Academics [Memetics] or 60 for Art [Writing])

Edit: and there you have my day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 221953. vestige
  • 1d100 =
  • (98) =
  • Rex's roll
  • Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:34 am
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The information is out there, in all the right places, but the meme doesn't quite stick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies, gents. I was out of town over the weekend.

Gavin listens to Chung describe how he was awarded a yellow access card, and offers to accompany him.

"Chung, will you allow me to follow you into the docks? We do not know what you will encounter there, and I may be able to provide you protection. I would also like to see the security there first hand. Perhaps I can spot a weakness that we can exploit."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
cyalume wrote:

"Chung, will you allow me to follow you into the docks? We do not know what you will encounter there, and I may be able to provide you protection. I would also like to see the security there first hand. Perhaps I can spot a weakness that we can exploit."

"I would never refuse an offer of assistance, and this package is clearly important enough to be guarded."

Or I may just like the look of having an ultimate with me in the port..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex pounds his chair in frustration and stands up, disgusted with his failure to seed the meme. "I need a distraction! I'll arrange to be in the terminal while you meet this officer, though I don't think I should stand nearby. Perhaps a running blog of any unpleasant activities will embarrass the KPA, should they give you any trouble."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"That would be beneficial, Rex. Observe from a distance and keep us aware of what's going on."

Just remembered that I'm toting Bob around with me wherever I go... are you okay with Bob going to the docks with Gavin, Sam?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob has no preference in terms of where his physical representation goes. He is free to go where-ever and when-ever he chooses.

(imagine that said in a slightly arrogant, matter of fact way and you will get Bob's point of view )

"Rex, your meme appears to have been actively deflected. In any other system, the idea would have caught fire and been throughout the mesh in a nanosecond. I believe the KPA is willingly controlling information flow into and out of the local mesh. It is possible they are exerting that control by 'leaking' the original story and thereby short circuiting your methods." A pause.

"In plainspeak - the KPA planned the story about you investigating them to obfuscate your presence and throw your plans off kilter. Though I have no direct proof of this, based upon our current knowledge, it is the only logical reason that your meme did not seed properly." And then quiet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Gavin and Chung follow the instructions they are given and go to the main passenger terminal. A constant trickle of people go in and out of the air tubes to get to and from their ships. The friendly KPA official is waiting for them. The meeting doesn't take long; he gives them an AR-tag that will show security what status they have, and the codes to a special AR-layer that will show them what routes to take to get to various yellow-level and green-level areas.

He points towards the circular doors. “Those are the air tubes that go into the commercial docks. I have programmed the directions to the AR-guide I gave you, it is at the very bottom of the Stem. Please don't step into docks you aren't supposed to. The KPA guards the docks, but most ships have their own security, and they don't like people snooping around.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavin nods in agreement, and carefully looks around the area.

Do I notice anything out of the ordinary, or anything that I recognize?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
lorddillon wrote:
Bob has no preference in terms of where his physical representation goes. He is free to go where-ever and when-ever he chooses.

(imagine that said in a slightly arrogant, matter of fact way and you will get Bob's point of view )

So you're fine with us bringing you inside the Ultimate citadel then just dropping you on the floor?

Edit: Boy, one sentence and sooo many errors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Did Bob tag along with us? It's be great for him to see if he can access the security feeds and find the most likely location for our target. Also cna we compare the footage of our target to try and guess which portion of the port it was taken in? Perhap by the cargo being moved, the ship types,or similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyriv wrote:
So you're fine with us bringing you inside the Ultimate citadel then just dropping you on the floor?

Sure - Bob can just hide in the mesh until he can download his ego into another holographic device. There is a pretty good chance, given his skillset, that he could actually convince the local mesh that he doesn't even exist after the destruction of the current holographic display interface, and therefore they wouldn't even be looking for him.

So yeah. Drop away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [12] |