Popular Tags: 24-hour_rpg [+] RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Announcing the 2012 RPG Geek 24-Hour RPG Contest! meeple

It's that time of year: time for a 24-hour RPG contest! As in the previous two years, we'll follow the traditional format (details below if you've not heard of this sort of thing before). If you remember last year's, the key difference is that the voting period has been extended to three weeks (to allow for voters having to read lots of entries, and to encourage more voting); other rules are the same.

There will be fabulous prizes for the three best entries, as voted for by the users! All entries will be added to the RPG Geek database, preserved for all time!

What's it all about?

The challenge is to design and produce a complete role-playing game in a single continuous 24 hour block of time. This is a strict time limit. As soon as you start, you have exactly 24 hours to do your work, and at the end of that time it's done and you should submit it.

There must be no advance preparation work. All of the work (designing a system, a setting, creating fiction, artwork, typesetting) must be done within the 24 hour block of time.

It must be original work. Don't use anything you've worked on previously. And definitely don't use anyone else's work (which means you'll have to think up of your own system).

It must be all your own work. You must not get any help (whether that be design, editing, production, or artwork) from someone else. The sole exceptions to this are:
that you can use public domain / Creative Commons art for your document
that you can include a small amount of public domain / Creative Commons text for mood setting only (any quoted text must be properly attributed, and must not be a substantial portion of the entry's text)
and that you may include this logo if you so desire (click on the image for higher resolutions):

By entering the contest, you consent to having your work loaded onto RPG Geek as a downloadable file. The preferred file format is PDF, but if you have other more creative ideas then that's probably fine too. If you can't create PDFs, send your document as is to Stelio and he'll convert it for you.

Why would I subject myself to this?

It's fun! It's an interesting challenge, and you're constrained to the same limits as everyone else. The time limit also ensures that you don't have to spend too much of your time on the project if you have a busy lifestyle.

There are also PRIZES for the top three winning entries, as voted for by you, the users of this site. The initial prize fund is 60 bag from my own earnings which will be split amongst the winners thusly:
30 for first place
20 for second place
10 for third place
All tips to this post will be added to the prize fund, with the prizes remaining in proportion (so 1/2 of the collected pot will go to the first placed winner, 1/3 to the second placed winner, and 1/6 to the third placed winner).

Check the first reply to this post for the latest update on the prize fund.

Further, all entrants will receive the perk of being added to the database as RPG designers and producers, with all that entails (including the option to wear a "GAME DESIGNER" badge, and free microbadges as detailed here).

Stelio will also pass on to the relevant entrants all bag gained for adding the game information to the database (typically 7 in total for the RPG and item submission, 1 for a new designer, and 1 each for relevant images).

All entrants (and Stelio for running the contest) will further receive an exclusive microbadge: mb. This is available solely through this particular contest. Any future contests run here will have their own unique microbadges. Collect the set!

Timescales

The contest is open for entries through to Tuesday 30 October 2012. Send your completed entry by e-mail to Stelio at 24hourRPG@stelio.net. I'll hang on to them until the end of the entry period.

All entries received before the end of 30 October will be valid for entry into the contest, regardless of whether they have been fully completed or not (we appreciate that 24 hours is a very short space of time to create a full RPG). That gives you three full weekends to find the time.

When the entry period has closed, I'll create database objects for all the entries and ask the designers to upload their files to the appropriate entry for other users to access. If any designer has not uploaded their file within a couple of days, I'll upload it myself (so that the voting doesn't get delayed) but will delete my upload if the designer eventually does get around to uploading it themselves.

Then when they've all been checked and sorted, the entries will be announced to everyone and I'll set up a poll for voting. The poll will use a single transferable vote system (which, briefly, means that you rank the entries in order of preference which makes choosing a top three more representative).

Voting will be open for roughly three weeks (a week longer than last year), after which the results will be announced and the prizes distributed! Party on!

After the contest, you may decide that you want to take your work, polish it up, and make it into something greater. Go ahead! We'd love this contest to inspire you to design.

Eligibility for Entry

All registered users of the site are eligible to enter the contest, unless they are running the contest (so that's everyone except Stelio then).

If you're not a user yet, but you'd like to enter, then sign up for an account! It's free and we don't ask any awkward questions! We're very friendly to new users, whether this is your first time here or you've been lurking for years.

Please: only one entry per person. If you're mad enough to make more than one, let me know which you would like to be considered for the competition.

For details of previous competitions, and all of the entries that were created, see:
2010 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs
2011 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs
2011 RPG Geek 48 Hour RPGs

For future updates and related posts for this competition, subscribe to: 2012 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Total entries received: 38

Alex Mayo
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan McKenna
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am Owlbear!
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michal E. Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan Bonvallet
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flabbergasted Rhino
Japan
Osaka
Kansai
flag msg tools
badge
Get Schwifty
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Please bury me with my copy of this book
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
New recruit to the spoonie army.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rabalias Quistos
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Joseph Hellar
msg tools
designer
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald Gardner
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gray Griffin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Slomiany
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pat Gamblin
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Randy Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oooh... I like it when you touch my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanya Almafeta
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Shellito
United States
Hollister
California
flag msg tools
designer
no, not the Hollister on the tee shirts. that place does not exist.
badge
Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
mbmbmbmbmb
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
explanation does not equal excuse
mbmbmbmbmb
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Are you not entertained?
mb
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
Z Gosck
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Current prize fund: 1170 bag

585 for first place
390 for second place
195 for third place

(At the end of the contest, I'll also add in however many extra are required in order to adjust the prize amounts to whole numbers. That additional float based on current tips is included in the prize fund listed above.)

Tippers in order of awesomeness:
d10-2d10-0d10-0 from Steve Dubya
d10-1d10-0d10-0 from dumarest123, Hida Mann
d10-5d10-0 from trevlix, sdonohue, sos1, Red Wine Pie, Narl, Martin Ralya
d10-4d10-0 from Luddite Slayer, andyl
d10-3d10-5 from regency_rhi
d10-2d10-5 from rabalias, edige23
d10-2d10-0 from lydon, Wired_Wolf, Badger242
d10-1d10-0 from wavemotion, Ausk, Vaklam, Scrowe, jasri, Unknown Ediology, shawnssica, schizoid, intrepideddie, AndersGabrielsson, bbonvallet, PiHalbe, lcx0r, LurkingMeeple, iuchiban
d10-5 from Shadow Hexagram, Steerpike, XendoBreckett, Gawain, GilvanBlight
d10-1 from MonsterMike, Rubric, TheEbonyTurtle, rednightmare, Munkwunk, RockMeAsmodeus, coffeeswiller, Mulligans
d10-0 from kurthl33t

Of course, I think that everyone who tips is awesome. laugh
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is the 24 hour limit enforced? Just the honor system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trevlix wrote:
The Cthulhu honor system! Obey or go insane!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, maybe I'll actually find time to participate this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trevlix wrote:
Exactly that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Owlbear!
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Huzzah for no required elements this year!

Not that I have an idea what I'll do without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're working on a custom 2012 micro for this!

Edit... done!

mb - 2012 RPG Geek 24-hour RPG Contest participant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
This sounds great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Spak

Cambridge
Massachusetts
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
It must be all your own work. You must not get any help (whether that be design, editing, production, or artwork) from someone else.
Does this mean that, say, a team of two people can't work together?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ah, yes...been looking forward to one of these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:

I have to say, I was kind of hoping for required elements for that very reason. That, and it's always fun to see what different people do with the same static elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheForgottenTaxi wrote:
Stelio wrote:
It must be all your own work. You must not get any help (whether that be design, editing, production, or artwork) from someone else.
That is correct. This is a contest of solo efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterGeek wrote:
sdonohue wrote:

I have to say, I was kind of hoping for required elements for that very reason. That, and it's always fun to see what different people do with the same static elements.
If you want me to come up with some elements for you, I can... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:
MasterGeek wrote:
sdonohue wrote:

I was prepared to jump at this until the devil-horns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
We're working on a custom 2012 micro for this!

Edit... done!

mb - 2012 RPG Geek 24-hour RPG Contest participant
Abusing your power to push-through micros? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Can a couple people team-up on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatul√Ľk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:
TheForgottenTaxi wrote:
SteliO wrote:
That is correct. This is a contest of solo efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
laugh

I guess I missed that. Thanks, Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
the elements where used in the 48 hour contest never in the 24 hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tip's in!

Now I just need to finish my adventure and figure out what I'll attempt for this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McKenna
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:

I'll be starting my 24 hours late on Oct 12. I will need your devilish required elements by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
'cause life is just a dream here; You know inside you feel right at home here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to give it another go but it really couldn't have come at a worse time. I really cannot see having 10 minutes spare, let alone 24 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh...how will I top Redneck the RPG?

I know, Anime Rednecks from Another Universe the RPG!

*is handed a note* Oh... can't use works previously designed. You sure about this?

*frying pan*

OUCH! Ok, ok! Geez...

----

In other words, I think I am participating again this year. ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri