The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
OSR Solo
Star Crossed
Disciples of Bone & Shadow: Core Rules
Ironsworn
Art and Arcana: A Visual History
Thousand Year Old Vampire
Highfell
D&D Essentials Kit
Angmar: Land of the Witch King
Ars Magica (5th edition)
Catapult Run
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Darkly Through the Labyrinth
Numenera: Starter Set
The Tragedy of GJ 237b
Beamswords and Bazookas
Bob, Lord of Evil Gamemaster Screen
Drowning and Falling
Microscope
Out of the Abyss
Dark Streets 2nd Edition
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
The Breached Fortress of Anoros
A Field Guide to Hot Springs Island
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
Strange Adventures!: The House on Poplar Court
Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to Combat
Spookshow
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Gamma World Roleplaying Game
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
Dungeon Master's Kit
Fate Core System
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Rise of Tiamat
The Strange
The Secrets of Cats
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Storm King's Thunder
TimeWatch
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Adventurer's Companion
Bree
Tomb of Annihilation
Building Tomorrow
Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
633 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] | 

Monster of the Week» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Medraut on the shore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A sandy shore, hardly adorned with sparse grass and defiant reeds. It is dark, save a strange sheen in the clouds towards the horizon. The waves are almost silent, as if waiting for something, or someone, and a strange smell hangs in the air, cloying, burnt, so intense that one can feel the sticky smoke paint a greasy layer on anything it touches.
Some light in the distance indicates that yes, there are, there must be people here somewhere, further up the shore, but they are not here, not now. Only you are here to witness, to witness the exodus.

First are some mice, first individual rustles in the grass, but soon great numbers issue from their sandy tunnels. They are followed by rabbits, frantic and wild-eyed, an incredibly mass of churning limbs and absolutely not comical or cute flopping ears. Some larger hares are among them, and occasionally you glimpse a little hedgehog ambling along. Still later, some farm animals have made their way here, sheep with torn legs where they forced their way through wire fences, some pigs, massive shapes trampling over their smaller mammalian relatives without regard. Their are gargling, as if unable to breathe properly, and all bear wounds from whatever journey brought them here.

The mass of animals charges straight down the shore and into the waves. No cries of fear come forth, none battle for their lives, as they all without hesitation submerge themselves into the salty water and accept their drowning, as if it was a relief to be gone from this Earth.
Just when you think it is over, when the steady stream of so many hundreds of mammals has reduced to a trickle, galloping hooves approach.

Two massive horses, bred for this harsh climate, charge into view and just as they make it onto the beach, towering over all creatures around them, collapse as if they were puppets with their strings cut. Soon, viscous liquids ooze from all their orifices as if some lifeform was purposefully evacuating its host, and the horses are dead.

Still the sticky smoke wafts over the beach, carrying with it pure wrongness and ancient seeds of senseless wrath and murder.

Medraut: With this, you wake up, and cannot but wipe your hands over your body and splash some water in your face to cleanse yourself of the polluting taint from your dream. Not just any dream - something is amiss, something horrible is afoot. You are not a seer; for you to have a vision this vivid and somatic, it must involve your past in some uncanny way.

What do you do?

Where do you live in Templeton, anyway? Do you have a pad for yourself, or have you attached yourself to some family?
6 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Medraut

The dream disturbs me greatly, Medraut thinks to himself, like none since the Green Knight claimed my brother. The upset to nature itself; I could only think that my transport had caused it.

My house is little comfort. After the massacre the others had witnessed, Templeton was left with dozens of damaged and uninhabited houses. I had claimed a small cottage on the outskirts of town for my own; nobody seemed to mind, or even notice, the strange young man working to repair it, largely without the benefit of these power tools. Edward has been kind enough to ensure that many of the comforts of the modern age are functional, though I rarely find myself using them.

I sigh heavily as I wolf down some food and some of this tea that my compatriots find so medicinal. (I suppose with all these comforts it is harder to stay awake, so I have learnt to appreciate this caffeine.)

It is time. If the dreams have found me, it is time. I must understand the landscape of my new home, the ley lines that feed it and that may have drawn the massacre here. And perhaps drew me here, too?

Gathering my weapons into the blue sports bag Nyah insisted I hide them in, I head for Nyah's house, in case this is beyond my abilities, and then it is on to the chapterhouse - for I am sure that they hold some record of the ritual I seek, perhaps a deeper understanding than my mother gave me.

I'm thinking Medraut wants to glimpse the faerie realm to see how Templeton is situated. According to his worldview, every monster either comes from the faerie realm or leaves an imprint on it - so there may be some clue as to how the thing(s) are going to arrive.

I'm not sure if this is normal magic ("Observe another time or place") or Big Magic, and what the requirements are - so off to gather help!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Off to Nyah's place it is! (And implicitly, as I understood, Edward's place, but you said you seek her out, as it's about magic after all, so we will see where he can come in.)

Magic or Big Magic: Yea, if you simply want to "Observe another time and place for half an hour" - Magic. If you want to trace all ley lines in and around Templeton, link them to Faerie, and see how it connects to your dream, wow, yea, that sounds like Big Magic. Possible side effects are obvious - tuning in to the ley lines, so to speak, make them more accessible to other beings as well.

[edit: cut misunderstanding about Chesna's moves]
And hey, this one is free - you know already that Medraut had a dream and seeks counsel. Do you wait for him to come to you, or do you seek him out?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sitting in kitchen, having my morning tea as usual. Edward is training in the next room as usual. I find it comfortable, to have our own early morning routine. I make breakfast whilst he's doing his workout. He should be ready in a few. I have already set his morning paper on the side of his plate and cup.

I idly fiddle the sharktooth-pendant I'm always wearing. I don't exactly need it to use my magic, but it helps me to concentrate if I touch it when I am using my magic. It is a little bit like channeling all the power through that thing, even if I could focus the energy even without it. It' just easier with the pendant or the spider ring that is always on my right hand's middle finger. I can't really explain it as I don't really know how to control my powers either. I hate it when somone points that out. I frown and again find myself thinking how much I'm hoping that Medraut will help me out on this one.

I glance out the window and see Medraut walking toward the house and looking like being deep in his thoughts, even a little bit worried. "Edward, I see Medraut is coming, he'll be here in a few secs" I sip my tea and continue "By the expression on his face it looks like there's something going on."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hell's Belle
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC: That's Fortunes. My opening move is all about the Sect. On a 10 up, they give me info or help in the the current story. On a 7-9, they give me a mission associated with the current story, and if I complete it they cough up some info or aid. On a miss, they demand I do something horrible, and if I refuse I'm on the outs with the club until I atone. Sooo...info?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
Avatar
mbmbmb
There is a clank of metal on metal heard from the next room. A few minutes later Edward walks into the kitchen wearing a tank-top, camo pants, and towel around his neck. How many times do I have to tell you, Nyah? You don’t have to make me breakfast. Edward says smiling as he shakes his head. But is it much appreciated. He pours himself a cup of bitter, black coffee and down at the table.

Medraut you say? I hope everything is alright. I worry about that little fella sometimes. Damn this coffee is good!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ack! Indeed, otherwise you would not have had a -1, but a +2. AAAAAND you may still roll the Fortunes, these are both "Beginning-of-Mystery"-moves, that's what got me confused.

So. The desired info/aid! Some below in spoiler tags - other players, read only when you really really need to.


Chesna: One of the remaining senior sisters, Wylla, asks you to meet her for a walk. She is sincere, but sometimes enigmatic, a wiry 60-year-old with a background in Hatha Yoga and pre-Christian Archaeology. Strolling through an ancient grove, she tells you how valuable your work in the library has been, and how much everybody appreciates your efforts to control Nyah, whom she and a number of other sisters have taken to calling "the stray". All seem to agree that it is better to have Nyah close by rather than totally out of sight, though not by very much.
Now that you are going to go far away to a place were there are no sisters today, or haven't been for a long while, she suggests you check out the site of the former and long abandoned chapterhouse there, adding "If you are hard up, you might still find help there. The old power never vanishes entirely." Pressing an ancient map fragment with some more recent scribbles on it into your hand, she surprises you as she quickly clasps her bony fingers around your wrist, and your normally invisible mark briefly flares red as a wave of pain rolls through your arm.
"Even as you are far away, do not forget the oaths", she murmurs, "they will not forget you either." Then, you are dismissed.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The map fragments show you the Orkney Islands, a scattering of windy islands between Scotland and the Shetland Isles.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I knock on Edward's door and am pleased to find both him and his ward at breakfast. I wait for an invitation inside and then nod politely and sit down heavily at their table.

"I Dreamt last night," and from my tone the capitalization is obvious. "A dream of ill portent, I fear," and I go ahead and describe the dream, in as much detail as I can muster. At the completion, I even go and wash my hands; these modern men wash all too often, but sometimes it is appreciated.

"I do not know what this dream portends, but such an omen speaks to me nonetheless. I need your help, Nyah, to understand where this threat will come. I must see the ley lines, and what fed the dream...and the monster that hunts me. I feel it, seeking to kill me as it did the horses. But that vague feeling is all.

"I remember a little of my mother's ritual to glimpse the faerie, but I have not done it myself. Will you help me? It will be dangerous, for if we are not careful, we will only open the ley lines farther. I thought to seek Sister Chesna's aid as well, or at least her books."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my mouth full with a freshly baked bread roll when Medraut finishes his story and asks me to help. I'm nodding to him and gesture him to have some too. "That sounds very... Bad." I say when I finally manage to swallow the food with a little help of tea. I also add in my mind and interesting, but do not say that aloud.

"Of course I'll help you, there's little in life you can achieve without taking some risks." I take another bite and chew it absent-minded. "I think it would be good idea to have Edward with us as well, in case we do happen to open the ley lines farther and something crawls out."

I turn to Medraut "I agree we'll be needing all the help we can get, including Chesna's." I get up abtruptly, eager to get going "If everyone is finished with their breakfast, let's get to Chesna, we've got a task at hand!"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Edward finishes his breakfast and knocks back his remaining coffee.

He stretches as he stands and says I'm not sure exactly what you guys are planning to do, but believe me, I won't let anything happen to either of you while you're doing it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hell's Belle
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope my low bow as Sister Wylla and I part company looks properly deferential and not at all like I'm curling into a ball from the brief flair of pain in my arm. That would be quite silly given who we are and what we've been through to be so.

Still, ouch.

I return to my pallet and begin to pack. I have few belongings, but from the unspoken goodbye implicit in my honored Sister's every word, I deem it wise to take them all. Before I leave, I lay the map fragments out and study them in the first rays of sun streaming in through the empty panes of the shattered stained glass window of the room I share with the other novices. Then I try to meditate.

The delicate, ancient vellum smells exactly like my old copy of Hypternomachia Poliphili. The horizon bathed in dawn's first light is exactly the colour of Adam Fitch's Lamborghini Gallardo.

No, that isn't right.

I go outside into the peaceful garden. I take a deep breath, focus on the now, let it out slowly (the AIR, that is, not the NOW.) I can feel the grass, still cold and wet with dew under my toes.

And here I am thinking, "What am I doing out here in my bare feet?"

It's no good. So, maybe I can look into the seeds of time or lay low the unclean beast of the lower world with Her divine judgement. Being sufficiently trancendant to meditate first thing in the morning after your boss disturbs your dreams for a brisk pre-dawn hike without even a whiff of Free Trade Coffee or a drag of a Karelia Slim is a power She, in Her divine wisdom, has yet to grant me. All I want to do is go back inside, crawl under the covers, and see if I can catch the end of the dream I was having before Wylla's summons.

We're supposed to record our dreams for discussion and examine them to see if we can glean the slightest whisper of a message from God. Mine wasn't that sort of dream. Any dream that leaves the waking mind spotting an old beau's car in the rosy fingered dawn and craving a cigarette is not the sort of dream I wish to analyze with a coven of aging nuns.

But there is yet one trick I haven't tried. I focus on the bare flesh of my wrist where lately the poppy-like emblem of my order had flared. I recall the pain and through it, I find my center.

OOC:...to roll Fortunes! I'm drafting this in my bedroom where the internet doesn't work so well, so I'll be chucking a couple of big foam d6 I found on the nightstand. Crap. Even with my +2, I get a 6. FAIL-tastic.

I'll just space out here, since it sounds like the gang is coming to collect me.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's some "Fortunes" right there - you get bad information, so I will tell you a false thing at some point. Possibly in hidden among some true things, and then we flashback to your divination attempt or somesuch.

That is, unless, UNLESS somebody narrates how they find you while you are still meditating, and they have some awesome narrative how they successfully attempt to "Help Out" (which of course puts them at risk to a degree, just saying). I am inserting this paragraph to illustrate the system a little more, I am not saying that anybody should be doing anything.

Still, for this, I'll suspend your scene until the others have gotten their stuff together and made up their minds (and cleaned up the breakfast!).


Medraut: Edward's portentous words hang in the air for a moment, do they actually reassure you?

Nyah: Have you ever wondered whether you were really a changeling, and all the stories of your childhood untruths? All this talk of fey magic and faerie and ley lines must make you wonder if, nay, HOW your magic connects to all this ancient stuff.

Leaving the house behind, you make your way towards the Chapterhouse, about a mile away, give or take, plenty of time to reflect on what just happened. Your path leads you along fields and barns, and only some few buildings still display any of the damage they sustained when the golems came. Templeton did not disappear, but its hardy populace grew greyer and grimmer that day.

Approaching the order's grounds, the agricultural aspect of the landscape gives way to a more aesthetically minded and non-utilitarian cultivation. Herbal gardens, carefully maintained groves and paths, transplanted flowers from other parts of the globe, this is really nothing like Templeton, even thought the fates of Town and Chapterhouse are irreversibly entangled.

Edward, for you as a Christian, the order, its intentions, its tenets, its means, its history, much of it remains incomprehensible and always has been a little worrying, but still, you are probably on the same side now. You think. Most of the time. Right? Be that as it may, it heartens you that your sister seems to be on the verge of recovering her autonomy and critical facilities bit by bit. Even if it took a disaster to draw her out.

You arrive at the little separate hut which Chesna is occupying.

What do you do?



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand crisply and lead the others out of the house, nodding gratefully to Edward. He is an interesting sort: as steely as any of Arthur's kin, but that focus was forged in the fires of tragedy, and I do not yet know if he has the will to lead. We can only wait and see.

But that cannon...I have seen it in action, and I will never turn down Edward's aid in a fight. I do not believe it is as well-suited to the task at hand as a sword - monsters not of this world seem to resist this unnatural technology. But it is so powerful, that may not even matter.

I remain quiet on the short walk to Chesna's. I am relieved that she lives outside of the chapterhouse itself; all those women staring at me, as if I am their devil returned from long ago...I do not know what these women believe. Did Morgan manipulate them in some way, too? Or is it still as my mother always said, a force for good? I am very grateful to Sister Chesna, but I suspect she is not privy to all this cult's secrets.

I knock firmly on the door and hear no reply for a moment. Then - a strangled moan! I look at Edward and we both aim kicks at the door. Which, in the end, proves unnecessary...it wasn't even locked.

Sister Chesna sits on a chair, one hand clutching the other wrist, holding the petal tattoo bare before her. It writhes - but her eyes are fixed not upon it, but wide and staring at the walls around her. I swear to myself and rush forward, remembering my mother in just the same pose when the visions overcame her. Tearing her out of it was terrible, the one time I attempted it. She explained to me that only by battling back to her center could she see the truth again.

So I lean down and take Chesna's head in my hands, whispering into her ear. I tell her of my mother, and her faith in the powers of good. I remind her of her own purity, what I have seen and the little that Edward has revealed of her previous life. And I feel the phantoms that beset her just on the horizon of my perception, breathing hungrily. It is all I can do to shut my eyes and keep talking.

Help out 2d6+2 = (4 + 2) + 2 = 8

Sorry Nyah, didn't mean to trump anything you were planning! But Medraut already feels responsible for this....
4 
 Thumb up
0.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 189360. vestige
  • 2d6+2 =
  • (4 + 2) + 2 =
  • 8
  • Help out
  • Tue Oct 2, 2012 3:01 pm
Hell's Belle
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"...ynysoedd..."

Suddenly, I smell coffee. It smells better when it's not on someone's breath, but this is as close to a pot of caffienated ambrosia as I'm likely to get again in this life. I'm greatful for Her smallest mercies.

I blink and I'm back in my room, in Sister Grainne's rocking chair. I don't remember coming back inside. Someone is here with me, and it isn't Our Lady.

"Medraut?"

I relax after the initial surprise when I realize it's a friend standing over me and not something else. Edward and Nyah are here as well, looking vaguely upset and armed for bear as usual. I take Medraut's hands in mine and give them a gentle squeeze as I greet my guests.

"Good morning! It is still morning, isn't it? I see you're all packed and ready to go. Wonderful!"

She works in mysterious ways.

Releasing Medraut's hands, I rise and cross over to Edward and Nyah, the family created by Fate, not blood. She may dress like Siouxie Sioux and he may be a walking Bass Pro Shop catalog, but the brooding eyes are a shared family trait. So much pain there. So much suffering. They didn't need God to shake them out of shallow, meaningless pursuits as I did. But they need her now. Suffering is only the begining of the path to salvation, not the path itself. I can see I have my work cut out for me.

I give my brother a peck on the cheek and clasp the girl's shoulder.

"I'll just grab my bag and we'll be off. Have you taken care of the travel arrangements?"

OOC: Couldn't resist trying to sneak another post in before heading to the salt mines. Yes, I'm aware that no one has discussed where we're going. She just assumes everyone knows already, like God has ironed out the details. Also, she's not aware of saying anything before "Medraut".
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaten to the punch! Both Nyah and me... ninja Medraut helping with a partial success, too. Hmm, that gives me something to play with...

Medraut: And Chesna does come out of it, with a whimper, not with a bang, her eyes clear up just as her arms go limp, and she slumps forward, resting her exhausted head against your chest.
As you open your eyes again, the tattoo fades from her wrist, but remains livid on your retinas for moments.
The similarity to your mother, removed from you by aeons yet only by a few years of your own time, fades as well, the superimposed image of the Queen leaving Chesna's suddenly soft features.
You suddenly become aware of Nyah and Edward behind you, looking at you oddly.
Yes, so you exposed yourself to trouble or danger. Just about enough metaphysical stuff going down here, so the following simple thing happened: this extremely intense experience and the blending of past and present shuffled your synapses briefly; I'll hold 1, and will spend it to have you speak your ancient idiom for a scene only at some point. I am sure the fitting moment will roll around soon enough.

Chesna: A voice talks to you, a voice from beyond the confines of this little chamber, and the pain is suddenly gone. For a moment, though, all sensation is gone, and you briefly and irrationally fear to have gone blind, but then focus returns. You see Edward, concerned yet unruffled, Nyah peering out at you half hidden by his brawny shape, those black orbs certainly see things the others don't. Holding you, there is the earnest youth out of time, so often hapless in everyday situations, stranger in this strange land, but apparently without fault or hesitation when it comes down to it. He is very close to you, as you suddenly notice. [deleted for being ninja-ed. Nevermind then]
Yay! As your dreams and wisps of memory coalesce, you hold 1 for your Fortunes. You could not voice what you learned, but you know that you will be ready for the future when it comes.

Nyah and Edward: It sure was really weird when Medraut began talking in modern English and then as the whispered words rushed out, reverted into the tongue of his time, impossibly quaint and quite incomprehensible, and yet quite clear to both of you.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Edward looks at Nyah, then to Medraut, and says Look, I'm not one for knowing what to expect from your magics and all, but why would it give Medraut the ability to speak modern English? ... Well, I suppose it doesn't matter. Edward says after a couple seconds. What did the magic reveal this time, Chesna? With a discerning eye, Edward looks his sister over making sure there is no seemingly adverse effects of her use of magic.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel terribly confused after rising from Chesna's side, and it doesn't go away with her words. "Travel arrangements? Did your vision show you where the ley lines lead?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm watching Chesna and Medraut standing partly behind Edward's back. I feel something, like the air just before thundering, the hair on your arms gets up and you feel a tingeling sensation. Like something should happen. I don't think Edward noticed that, but I'm sure Medraut and Chesna, or something around them is the origin of the sensation.

I notice her tattoo and start staring at it. It feels unsafe but somehow very much tempting as well. I find myself thinking about my own short life and my origins again. Not noticing it, I'm drifting deeper, in gloomy and shadowy thoughts. Again I feel so completely out of place, but still like being just where I belong. Who the hell am I? This is so frustrating! Like a wet soap, the knowledge keeps escaping me.

I have drifted somewhere deep and snap right out of it when Edward starts talking to me. "To be honest with you, I did not even notice him changing between the ancient and modern English" I tell him. I feel annoyed that I did not pay more attention to what was going on, but there was something... That pulled me inside myself and left me feeling like inside out turned socks. "Now that you mention it, it is strange. I wish I could explain this better, but I felt something strong around here" I decide not let him know more about what I felt.

I turn to Medraut and take his hand. He looks exhausted "Are you alright? What happened there? I felt something... Luring me." I say with a lack of a better word to describe what I felt.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hell's Belle
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I start to nod as I answer Edward and Medraut at once, but the gesture dies quickly.

"There's a sort of..."

I've drawn a complete blank.

"I get a general sense that we..."

Now this is very odd. I feel like I know exactly where we're going and why, as if we've already done it and we're merely reminiscing now. And yet, I don't actually know anything. Sometimes, as far as prophecy goes, I have the memory of a goldfish.

"Well...Where my vision is cloudy, my map is quite precise. We're going to the Orkneys. "

I gently retrieve Wylla's map from the table beneath the damaged window.

"Look."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Medraut: Is it? Was it? The shore in your dreams, the view of the sea - of course, it could have been many places in the British Isles, but it might very well have been Orkney, one of the holdings of your father, the King of Lothian and Orkney and (parts of) Norway.
The longer you reflect on this, the stronger the connection between dream, map, and memories becomes. The Orkneys! This is were the animals were killing themselves, or being killed.
You are not sure at all what (and if!) this has to do with Templeton, and/or the Chapterhouse women.

Have you been often to the Orkneys? Did anything significant ever happen to you there?
Anybody else, Nyah, Edward, Chesna, ever been to the Orkneys? A hard place to get to, now less so than in the past, and for what reason, really?


What do you do?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
Avatar
mbmbmb
On a d6 result of 1-3, Edward has been to the Orkneys, 4-6 he has not. If he has been there, there is a 20% (1 on d5) he went there after a Golem.

Rolls:
Has previously visited Orkneys roll: 1d6 = (1) = 1

Possibly hunted a Golem there roll: 1custom5{1-5} = (2) = 2



Orkneys, huh? I've been there. It's a very nice chain of islands, lots of wild land left. Maybe we'll find some Golems to hunt. Edward says with a distant look in his eyes. He subconsciously clenches his hands into fists.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 190643. TheEbonyTurtle
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • 1
  • Thu Oct 4, 2012 5:37 pm
  • [+]
  • 190646. TheEbonyTurtle
  • 1custom5{1-5} =
  • (2) =
  • 2
  • Thu Oct 4, 2012 5:38 pm
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see how Edward clenches his hands into fists and briefly touch his hand to relax him. "I don't think I've ever been to Orkneys before if anyone's interested." I say to the others and think "Although something about it rings a bell deep in me. Like my soul recognices the name even if I don't." I shiver at the thought and feel cold even if it is quite warm.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hell's Belle
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Nor I." I sigh. "It was in the opposite direction from Harrods. More Edward's sort of place all round."

As I speak, I study Medraut. Until he popped into existance last year, I'd always regarded him as merely a literary figure, like the rest of the characters in Arthurian Romance, no matter what every little town in need of tourist dollars throughout the UK has to say about it. I may not know backwoods islands, but literature I know. If I recall correctly and if literature and history have anything in common, our visitor from the past had kin there, once. I watch the young man for any hint to determine if the truth of the past is more Malory than Mabinogion. I don't really want to pry, but it's terribly exciting!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaggghhh! My long, carefully-composed reply just got gobbled up by the interweb golems!

I sit down, hard, on Sister Chesna's chair, which proves as uncomfortable as the chairs of my time. The Orkneys. Of course - my father's ancestral land. I had been there, once - just before my mother sent me to be fostered at Arthur's court, she took me there. She said the wildness eased her connection to god. But it was more like the loneliness feeding her martyr complex. My father, of course, stayed away - he was a man amongst men, more comfortable carousing than with nature.

I was uncomfortable there. Even before my exile, the whispered rumors claimed I had been conceived there, the fruit of an incestuous - though unintentional - union between my mother and the King. Now that rumor seemed to have cemented into "fact," though the legends disagree on the details. I had wandered alone across the barren islands, willing myself to be a stronger man. Or boy.

I am sure the others see me brooding, so I make an effort to speak. "Yes - the Orkneys, that was the beach of my dream. But I do not understand how such a vision came to me in Templeton. Nor how Sister Chesna knew of it before we arrived. Do the ley lines lead from the Orkneys to Templeton?"

I pause as a terrible thought comes to me. "Has my arrival upset the balance so much that I have inflicted this horror on my ancestral lands?"
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Medraut wrote:
"Has my arrival upset the balance so much that I have inflicted this horror on my ancestral lands?"


du-du-du-duuuuuh!

Medraut: Simply put, without magic you won't find out from here what your connection to the events is. The others all look helpful and/or interested (Nyah disturbingly so)(come to think of it, Edward, too), but it is clear that none of them have the answer.
Sorry about your post... I like this one too!

Edward: Yea, the Orkneys. They are pretty agricultural today, and the climate more mild than one should think, but they are still remote, they are still rugged, and there are lots of places to hide. You actually liked the place when you were there, it really spoke to the outdoors man in you. Like most of Scotland, really. Medraut won't recognize much from his time, though, you figure.

Nyah: A dark and cold rage begins to spread through you, until your temples are throbbing. People and things are bossing you around. Orkneys? What do you care? Dead animals, boohoo! Medraut's mysterious past, he is so full of himself sometimes! And Chesna, all her chipper self suddenly, when apparently she has hardly more control over her magic than you over yours! How dare she! Maps! Chairs! And Edward, always so composed, ranting on about his Golems all the time! He talks about them more than he talks about people! Everybody thinks they know what's going on, and they all think it revolves around them, when it actually really revolves around...

So, something inside of you wants to lash out, verbally, physically, at someone, at something, doesn't matter much.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.