Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daggert nods at Merisel. I'd be happy to Merisel. I actually enjoyed the cold. It was a bit brisk, and sad what happened to those folks in the wagon, but it sure beat the heat and humidity of this place. And the stench!

I might slow the pace down a touch if you all don't mind. I'd hate for us to slip off into the swamp...


With his sling staff in hand, Daggert carefully prods the soft spots when the trail gets narrow, and does his best to keep everyone on solid footing.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
Avatar
mbmb
No problem Merisel, I'll watch the rear.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Travel through this portion of the bog is slow going.
Thick fog coats the ground and marsh waters to a height to knee height, hiding the thick muck and the many snags and shallow pools.

Fortunately, with the careful observations of the ranger, the hazardous
journey isn't fatal, and by the day's end, the party is well and truly deep in the swamp, the mountains now blocked from sight by the trees, adn the path all but untraceable except for the careful efforts of the group and reference to the map.

Camping is an unpleasant experience that night, but thanks to Fitz' ability to keep the fire going, the worst of the swamp stays clear, not trusting the rarely seen fire.

A couple of assumed "take 20s" in there

The next morning, a second day of slogging through marsh, mud, plants, and a variety of insects the party hopes to never see again lies ahead.

Moving on, it's only a few hours into the march when Daggert, still carefully leading the way, hears very gruff growling, in a strange sing-song way. The sound is hard to trace, but it is definitely coming from somewhere ahead on the "trail".
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Holding up his hand for caution and silence, Daggert crouches low and peers into the gloom. [i]Merisel, did you hear that? Sounded just up ahead.

Stepping slowly with shield raised and sword in hand, Daggert begins to move forward down the path.

Blurry eyed perception 1d20-1 = (13) - 1 = 12
Stompy Stealth 1d20+3 = (1) + 3 = 4
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 177725. MikeHadfield
  • 1d20-1 =
  • (13) - 1 =
  • 12
  • Blurry eyed perception
  • Sat Sep 8, 2012 5:12 am
  • [+]
  • 177726. MikeHadfield
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (1) + 3 =
  • 4
  • Stealth
  • Sat Sep 8, 2012 5:12 am
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flinder makes himself even smaller than he is and tries to see what's happening too.

Perception 1d20+2 = (3) + 2 = 5
Stealth 1d20+6 = (19) + 6 = 25
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 177791. Narl
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (3) + 2 =
  • 5
  • Perception
  • Sat Sep 8, 2012 10:23 am
  • [+]
  • 177792. Narl
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (19) + 6 =
  • 25
  • Stealth
  • Sat Sep 8, 2012 10:23 am
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Merisel strains to hear whatever has alerted Daggert. She's been surprised that nothing has bothered them. Last night that was likely due to their fire, the presence of which was very much appreciated.

Perception: 1d20+8 = (10) + 8 = 18
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 177805. jatang
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (10) + 8 =
  • 18
  • Sat Sep 8, 2012 12:31 pm
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
Avatar
mbmb
Célestin watches if nothing's coming from behind.

Perception 1d20+3 = (12) + 3 = 15
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 177813. Shadow Hexagram
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (12) + 3 =
  • 15
  • Perception
  • Sat Sep 8, 2012 12:59 pm
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daggert attempts to move quietly, but fails miserably, stepping on nealry every twig, and once on a frog that croaks indignantly and hops away. Daggert becomes so focused on not making noise, he completely fails to noice when he's stepped into a clearing...

Merisel, behind Daggert, is under the impression he must looking down to stomp on small animals and sticks as he moved forward--surely no one moves THAT loudly without trying...but above the sounds of a paladin "sneaking", Merisel can hear the barking sing-song voice as well, continuing without interruption.

Célestin, meanwhile, figures that if anything is going to sneak up, now would be the time...but he sees nothing--just swamp in all directions.

Flinder finds a great swamp bush for hiding behind, and finds himself entangled in it! It will take a moment to get himself free, but in the meantime he's all but vanished from sight.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daggert finally looks up, and sees a large log, standing five feet tall on its side, rests across a dirt path. The tree must have been ancient when it fell to reach such size.

A moldering wood door covers one of the hollow ends of the log, and a makeshift mud chimney emits a thin wisp of blue smoke. From behind the
crude house come the sound of someone humming an off-key tune in a barking language.

There is room on the path to get around the log house on either side of the path, without having to wade into the deeper swamp.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Merisel signals that they should continue on around the tree, leaving the singer alone.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

The group can go to the left around the log house, as the singer is off to the right side. Just want to confirm that's what everyone plans on doing before moving ahead.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daggert follows Merisel's signal and moves off the the left.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving quickly and quietly (sort of) around the far side of the log house, the group sees an old kobold with some sort of animal skull hat on, working in a garden of thisles and flowers, humming to herself. A very large alligator sits nearby, apparently content to listen to her sing.

She glances at the group as they go by, but since everyone is moving away from her and avoiding her garden, she ignores the group after a moment and carries on.

Once past the strange old kobold, the group begins making better time as the swamp begins to give way to coastline, and as the sun sets, the group can see the shore, the salt air washing away the smell of the swamp.

The gull's cries seem to beckon to the group as they make their way into the small fishing village of Pier's End.

Pier's End consists of little more than several docks with fishing boats, an inn, several small farms and numerous small cottages and a few larger homes, a tannery (well down wind of the rest of town), two taverns (both well lit and apparently busy), and an open-air market (currently closed for the night).

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Nice town it looks like, we go which way now?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, a hot meal and a mug of beer would be quite welcome. Perhaps in the morning we can look into booking passage to Escadar. In fact, maybe some of the locals can give us some advice tonight.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
Avatar
mbmb
"What say you? Fancying some fizzy drink and hot meal?" Célestin asks their guest.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rees nods happily. "A warm meal and a soft bed would be excellent. We don't need to sail until tomorrow, and it does not look hard to get passage--the place isn't that busy."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Good idea," agrees Merisel, who is far happier at the sight of the town than the ice mountains or the dismal swamp.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

And with a spring in their step now that they were finally out of the swamp, the party walks into the small town, heading straight for the tavern, with a sign out front showing a crudely drawn fish swimming in a beer mug.

The place is a cramped two-story building, with some rooms on the upper floor and the low-ceiling lower floor that anyone over 6 ft tall would have to duck to avoid hitting the beams in the ceiling.

The smell of baked bread and fish stew permeates the place, radiating out from a small fire pit in one corner by the bar.

The bar itself is only about 8 feet long, with a greasy, old, heavyset human man behind it, barely giving the group a nod as they enter.

There are 8 round tables in the place, with battered wooden stools and crates for seating. Two of the tables are empty, the rest have patrons huddled around them talking and drinking.

A few look up as the group comes in, but after a moment ignore them and return to their mugs.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daggert strolls through the crowd and plunks his pack down at one of the empty tables. He then approaches the man behind the bar. Good evening! How fares things? My companions and I would like some hot food and ale, and perhaps a room for tonight. Are any available at such short notice?

Also, we were looking to book passage to Escadar tomorrow, I don't suppose you know of any boats which make the passage?


Diplomacy 1d20+7 = (12) + 7 = 19
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 178379. MikeHadfield
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (12) + 7 =
  • 19
  • Diplomacy
  • Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:04 pm
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The greasy man turns to the halfling, and smiles, revealing stained and blackened teeth.

"Of course, master, of course. Two rooms are still available, only...10 g per night for the lot of you. That includes food, of course.

"As for a ship, there's three captains in town right now who could take you on the morning tide: Darice Sunmore, a woman and a tough young thing, Otti--a halfing like yourself, but bit of a pig, if you ask me, and Crazy Tanner--um...you do want to get there, right?"


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Merisel nudges Daggert and murmurs quietly, "5 gold per room is rather steep. See if you can bargain him down."

While they could certainly afford 10 gold, it's the principle of the thing. A place this seedy, even with some fish stew thrown into the bargain, is overcharging at 1 gold a night. Likely this innkeeper is betting on his status as the only option in town. Well they've stayed outdoors in worse. It looks like a clear night and they are neither in the snow nor the swamp.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daggert nods easily at the man, and then hearing Merisel's words he abruptly puts on a look of shock.

10 gold! We may be new to town but we're not new to Golarion! I'll pay you 1 gold for the food and 1 for the lodgings, but that's it. As I recall we passed an Inn on the way here, and there's another tavern across the way, so...

Daggert takes 2 gold pieces out of his pouch and lays them on the bar.

If that's not good enough we'll find lodging elsewhere, but I dare say 2 gold is more than fair.

Dimplomacy 1d20+7 = (7) + 7 = 14
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 178571. MikeHadfield
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (7) + 7 =
  • 14
  • Dimplomacy
  • Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:58 pm
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"You drive a hard bargain, but you're fair spoken. 2 gold it is."

With that, the greasy man scoops up the coins, and has a boy show the group upstairs to the two rooms.

The doors bar from the inside, but can't be locked otherwise. The rooms are small, and smell faintly of seaweed and fish from the small open portals facing the Inner Sea, but are clean and serviceable.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Good job Daggert." Luckily Merisel grew up in the River Kingdoms and is quite comfortable with the smell of fish. In fact, it is somewhat nostalgic. "Shall we try to find a ship and a captain for tomorrow morning?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [10] |