Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
246 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

The One Ring» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: The Fellowship of Esgaroth - Folly of the old and the young [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
This is the continuation of the story of the fellowship of Esgaroth.

Out of Character thread and Index
Characters


The fellowship travels with the company of Durtheniel and her hirdmen. Durtheniel explains that they are conducting a patrol, and this is the furthest they have ever entered Mirkwood in many years. After a few hours the fellowship can see that the thickness of the woods are clearly diminishing, and it is not long before they see people at work in the fields. In the distance they can see several fortified farmsteads, and they see that all the farmers are armed.

It is unknown to Caane that his people have started to cultivate the land so close to Mirkwood, he also doesn't recognize any of the people here, except for a young boy of 17, the third son of a man leaving further down south. Grimbold, while not a farmer, has travelled long and wide when he was an Errand-rider. These fields are poorly cultivated, it seems almost like the Woodmen are loath to disrupt the forest, and make their fields small and in-between the trees.

Durtheniel explains that many people have come to settle the Wilderlands of late, and since the area is less dangerous than before, more people make it into adulthood. These young men, eager to have land for themselves, have made a clan of their own, and have started to settle the outskirts of Mirkwood. Arongwai doesn't know what to think of this, his own Woodland Realm is deep within the forest, and while orks and Goblins are wicked things, many forests have been burned by cruel human hands.

At the end of the day, you strike camp. The Woodmen put up several large tents, and begin to cook a stew. Peregrin wrinkles his nose, these Woodsmen have no knowledge of the culinary arts. “Tomorrow we will be in my father's long house,” Durtheniel explains. “Here you can tell him and the other elders what you have learned in the forest. This is also an especially fortunate time to come home dear Caane, elders from many clans have come to father's hall, even Radagast. While the forest is quiet now, many of us wish to make it quieter still. Why should we wait for the orks to return, when we can slay them in their dens. If we are lucky, we will have a war party together before summer.”
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grin listens to Durtheniel's news of the war with the mixed feeling of fear and excitement of the new adventure, fear prevailing, to tell the truth.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ah Radagast, one who treats the forest with respect! There was a time when the woodmen lived in the trees. I see times have changed..."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Come on, I was hoping for some more cool narrative right at the beginning. Oh, well I will move us along.

The following day you start to travel early, and already by lunch time you arrive at Ulfang's hall. It is a small fortified village, with a dozen of farms, with the Chief's hall placed prominently in the centre. From the number of people in and around the village, you understand that there are many visitors here presently.

“More chiefs have come while I have been away, “ Durtheniel explains. “Why don't you all go to the long hall, so we will get the formalities out of the way. Looking by the smoke, the feast has already begun.”
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"The feast! Sounds good!"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While approaching Ulfangs hall a large Dog approaches Caane. "Lily?"

"Yes Caane." Replies Durtheniel "She sits everyday outside your old hut. Im surprised she didnt smell you approaching sooner. Good luck leaving here without her following you this time."

Lily stops before caane and bares her teeth growling loudly. Her green eyes focused on Caane.

"Hey girl. I have missed you. I hope you will join me for the rest of my journey." Caane says as he kneels down and pats Lily on the head. Lily responds by licking his face.

As they enter the Ulfangs hall Lily sits outside the door as though she is guarding it for the fellowship.

Once inside the hall Caane approaches Ulfang and kneels in front of him. "Ulfang We bear grave news." Caane says. He then goes into a retelling of the fellowships journey and the events that have occured surrounding them. At the end he continues. "Ulfang we have come for guidance of you and your advisors as to how we should proceed from here."
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grin looks at Lily cautiously. He generally mistrusts everything bigger than himself, but the dog looks trustworthy enough, or so it seems. It occurs to him she looks much like Caane, or rather Caane looks like her - stern, scary when provoked, but so valiant and true...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimbold tosses Lily one of his honey cakes..."There you go girl".

Then he turns to the chief. "We hear talk of war, honorable Chief. However, it seems odd that your peoples are giving up their life in the trees. Your people have lived for ages in harmony with the forest. Why upset the balance now? We can tell you there are more foul things than orcs in Mirkwood. It won't pay to stir up evil."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
The hall of Ulfang
The hall is filled with people, and you are all somewhat taken aback with Caane's self-assured entry. At the front of the hall is Ulfang, he is a thin man, and looks more nimble than strong. His eyes are quick, but yet he talks slowly. Grimbold is not impressed, few here even have beards.

Surrounding him are other chiefs, most of them are older than him, but all treat him with the great respect. While most are standing, one is seated. A very old man sits close to the chief, listening intently to what is being said, talking only when talked to.

Along the walls the young men are sitting on the ground, with their backs against the wall. On hand-crafted rugs in the middle of the room, the feast is spread out. Peregrin is disappointed. Most of it is made of potatoes or barely, and boiled to destruction. The few pieces of meat he can see has been salted vigorously. And the beer is dark, very dark Everyone in the fellowship, see that this is a culture steeped in frugality and the careful expenditure of resources.

In one of the corner you see a man that clearly doesn't belong here. You have seen his kind before, he is from Dale. He is the only person here eating fresh meat. Caane knows what this means, it means he is an accepted guest, but not honoured. He would only be honoured if the Woodsmen thought he could stomach their kind of food. To be accepted by the Woodsmen, means to be accepted into their frugality.

As Caane talks, Ulfang listens. “Caane, you return as surprising as you left. Advice from me? I will give to same advice I gave you last time. Stay where you belong. We have heared of the wickedness of the swamp, burrying that thing was wise.” He looks at the other members of the Fellowship. “You bring strange people to our lands, are you sure they can survive here?”.

He listens to Grimbold with far less interest. “Don't talk to me of evil bear-man. I don't take advice from Beorn's lot.” The old man in the chair also speaks up, “I agree, people should stay in there place.”

You hear the door go up behind you, and a tall and old man in a brown cloak steps into the room, he has a long wooden staff, but he doesn't seem to need it. “Oh, Ulfang. One mustn't be unfriendly to guests. Atleast not to anyone who has travelled this far.” He pats Peregrin on the head.


Feel free to jump in Eetu. I have not made any reason for you being here. Perhaps you could tie it in with your calling.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Vuokko
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
I has a monocle!
badge
Ah, a brand new monocle.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The new fellowship in the hall piqued Vandil's interest. He stands up from the corner to greet them. "Greetings fellow travelers, I see some of you have come from far away. I am Vandil of Lake-town and I have been traveling around for a while. There is such beauty in many corners of this world, and such dread in others. I was lucky these wonderful people let me stay here for I have been sleeping outside many a night, and this meat IS good."

He eyes the group for a while. "Well now, when are you heading out? I wouldn't mind some company once in a while, what say you?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimbold is fuming at this point, but before he says something unwise, he hears Vandil, calms a bit, and replies, "We have all come from Lake-town where they were welcoming, for their part." And in a lower voice he adds, "Too bad the same can't be said for the Dwarves".

At that point he notices the new-comer dressed in brown and stares with Awe. "You must be Radagast, the Brown. You're a lot shorter than I imagined, though Beorn speaks highly of you! How goes the forest these days? We can tell you of the blight we found and buried, it was having an evil influence on the forest animals."

Grimbold puffs up his chest a bit, hoping to impress the ancient visitor.

Awe 3
1d12 = (9) = 9
1d6 = (1) = 1
1d6 = (6) = 6
1d6 = (1) = 1
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 174571. rcmoore4
  • 1d12 =
  • (9) =
  • 9
  • Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:50 am
  • [+]
  • 174572. rcmoore4
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • 1
  • Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:50 am
  • [+]
  • 174573. rcmoore4
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:50 am
  • [+]
  • 174574. rcmoore4
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • 1
  • Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:50 am
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
So, I see you have met Vandil. He has stayed with us for a week. Travelling with you seems a good idea.” He looks over to the other men gathering in the back of the hall, the old man in the chair nods to Ulfang. Ulfang nods back and says to Caane, “I must return, Gammon feels it is time to begin, and there is much to discuss. I suggest you settle in with your friends. Me, the other chiefs, old Gammon and Radagast will discuss the present dangers, I will mention the tale from your travels.”

Radagast smiles over so slightly to Grimbold, “Oh, the forest goes well follower of Beorn. It always has, it always will. The tale you bring from the forest disturbs me, there is much ancient their, some good, some evil. Burring it will rarely solve something, but often it is the best solution until a better one presents itself. I think this might be an issue for the white council. Sauroman is always interested in such things. Now, if you will excuse me, I have a meeting to attend to. And while the rest of them might wait for me, old Gammon is a stickler for formalities.”
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimbold turns to Caane and asks, "So why weren't you invited to this meeting? It sure would be good to 'listen in' if you will. Perhaps our stealthy elf or hobbit friends might be able to find something out? I'm afraid I'm not one for going unnoticed. Otherwise, I'm going to go for a short walk around the woodsmen's village, see if I can find out anything."

Grimbold will make an awareness roll for his walk...he wants to see if there's anything out of the ordinary that might inform the fellowship of anything amiss.

Awareness 2
1d12 = (8) = 8
1d6 = (1) = 1
1d6 = (6) = 6
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 175571. rcmoore4
  • 1d12 =
  • (8) =
  • 8
  • Sun Sep 2, 2012 2:51 pm
  • [+]
  • 175572. rcmoore4
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • 1
  • Sun Sep 2, 2012 2:51 pm
  • [+]
  • 175573. rcmoore4
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • Sun Sep 2, 2012 2:51 pm
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
What do the rest of you want to do?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do they meet? In the same hall or different room?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
They remain in the hall. There are many other there, but the dicussion is in the back.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Caane turns to Grimbold. "If they had wanted me in their meeting they would have surely asked. I trust Ulfangs judgment in these matters. Enjoy yourself in the village Grim, Im sure everyone will be quite hospitable to you here."

Caane then sits and starts eating some of the leftovers from the feast. "It may not be what you are used to Grin, but I have missed the food of my people."

And with that Caane eats and waits as the council of Ulfang meets.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grin helps himself to some leftovers as well, food is food, of whatever kind, and then he tells Grimbold: "If you do wish, I may shuffle around trying to eavesdrop, but I wouldn't like to be caught abusing the hospitality of Caane's good folk. Maybe Vandil can tell us what he learnt in his week's stay here? So what do you say, friends?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, you are a considerate...and cautious fellow, Grin. However, given the warm welcome I received, I'd just as soon leave the room for a while. I do not like such cramped quarters anyway. Give me the moon and the stars for a roof! If I run into trouble, I will hoot like an owl!"

As Grimbold leaves the shelter, he turns and says, "Or, I will more likely growl like a bear!" And with a chuckle, Grimbold steps outside.
3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grin tries to imagine the giant figure of Grimbold perched on the roof hooting, and the image results in a wide smile
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Yomon
“Hello there cousin.” A young man walks up behind Caane. Turning around he sees that it is cousin Yomon. Since he last saw him, the young man has grown quite a bit, not longer a boy – though Caane wouldn't call him a man either. Behind him, standing a few step behind, are his friends, a group of four other boys and girls. Yomon is clearly the oldest, and leader of the pack. Yomon is much like Caane, both in appearance and personality, but without the benefits and drawbacks age bring to both looks and demeanour. Since his parents died, Yomon has been raised by the village communally, and in a few years time, he will be a man of his own.

“You are back again dear Cousin.” The young man begins, “Are you here to help us claim new land?”



Outside Grimbold looks around. He notices quickly that this is a village slightly on edge. There are many travellers here, the place is more populated than it is usually is, and the discomfort that creates makes the people more unwelcome than usual. Still, there is a quiet dignity to these people, and while restrained, they are polite.

Listening to people talk, Grimbold learns that the possibility of summer raids is on everyone's minds. Every year goblins and orcs kill at least some of the woodsmen, and some have already perished this year. The woodsmen isn't expect farmers, but they need to do some of it to survive. Land is hard to come by, and every third son, or immigrant, wants some of his own. This year, for the first time in many years, new land is being cleared. And the abundance of man-power, makes it possible to attack some of the orcs, before they attack the Woodmen.

It doesn't take Grimbold long to realise that people's opinions are very divided on this issue.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yomon!" Caane gets up and greets his cousin. "Look at you, almost a man. Your father would be proud." Caane continues "Have you started your training to join Ulfangs guard? You know it is custom for the men of our family to. It was one of the proudest moments of my life when I finished the trials."

Caane sits back down and continues eating. "Join me cousin. We can catch up. I am only here for a short time. Soon I will once again leave in the company of the fellowship which arrived with me. There is great peril about. I see to put an end to it...or die trying."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While Caane talks to his cousin, Grimbold, wandering through the vilalge, notices the differences of opinion, stands upon an old stump in the village center and begins a rousing speech ...

[speech forthcoming! I wanted Grimbold to do something other than just skulk around town, but I'll need more time to construct something for him to say!]
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
"No thank you, Caane, me and my friends have things to do. With all the people here, there is always something to do. I really hope the chiefs decide to make secure more land. In a few years I would like some for myself. I'll see you around." Yomon turns around and joins the rest of the boys and girls of his gang. Before he walks away with them, he turns around, "You know, it isn't always wise to leave. I am sure many people out in the world admire and respect you, but from what I hear of people talk, it almost seems like to us woodsmen see people that leave is quitters."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grin is surprised at these words. "Caane is no quitter!"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] |