Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
592 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [24] | 

The Caverns of Thracia» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Thracia 2012 - Chapter 3 - In Memorium rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arvan's wounds and recovery were too grave and dramatic for the story of it to stay quiet for long. Soon all of Artanes murmured with the stories of brave warriors who sought to slay the beast men of the jungle and the lone hero who survived to return. The generous offers of food and drink were enough to convince Arvan he shouldn't make a large explanation of how he never actually met the slain companions, and he was glad that none questioned his account of events whatever embellishments he might decide to add after many rounds of drinks in the evening.

And so it came that you all found each other with a shared purpose of seeking some of that glory, and perhaps the fortune the beast-men were rumored to guard deep below the earth.

Your past travels had not been without good fortune. Brother Eldrin carefully checks his belt, the flask with his prized Potion of Healing is well affixed. This potion was a token of thanks from a monastery he served. Tomlin Fleetfoot likewise keeps a tiny vial, containing a Potion of Speed tucked out of sight beneath his cloak.

The two mages, Arnos and Max, each has a stout leather scroll case strapped under his long robe. Arnos carries a Scroll of Levitate and Max an impressive Scroll of Dispel Magic. Goraxe fingers the pommel of his beautifully engraved Longsword +1.

Arvan is late to arrive, even though he is the one who promised to lead your group back to the Caverns. You do not know, but that is because he was approached by Aristhenes after several days of carousing. The old man had heard of the statue head that was unearthed in the entry space and is hopeful it can be returned. But, he is even more hopeful of much more valuable artifacts. After an oddly stilted conversation that Arvan later decides must have been some sort of ritual, or test, the old man fetches out a small box.

Presenting it to Arvan he opens it, and inside is a thin silver ring with a simple round moonstone set within it. Aristhenes removes the ring, places it on his finger, twists it round once, and disappears! "Invisibility, quite handy for procuring, uh, artifacts." There is an awkward pause. The old man re-appears holding the ring, and then adds a dramatic wink for emphasis. "I'm too old to venture out in search of such treasures, but if you will be my champion..." Arvan, eying the magic ring, does not have to think long before agreeing. He then takes the Ring of Invisibility, promises to bring back a share of the treasure, as well as any artifacts they find for Aristhenes, and hurries off.

When you do gather, Arvan is rather in a hurry, and you set out from the gates quickly. You cover the ground well and make camp within the jungle that evening.

Let me know of any special preparations. And again, can someone get those Magic-Users on the wiki, it would be appreciated.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Max is impressed with the amount of pomp and flair directed at this Arvan fellow. Though Max is smart enough to know much of the stories and praise are usually exaggerated, the shear amount of it in this case means Arvan must have accomplished something of note. Also, a beast infested ruins is undoubtedly going to contain some valuable treasure.

Max spends his time in Artanes buying the new champion drinks and food in order to gain the man's favor and a spot on his return trip. Max wanted to ensure he wasn't left behind because too many wanted to brave the wilds.

Max spent most his time listening to the simple man prattle on and struggled not to correct his every grammatical error or misused word. He didn't want to be left behind because people thought him condescending, as had happened in a previous foray with other adventurers.

Finally, Max had identified the other adventuring hopefuls from among the rabble who paid Arvan attention. Max ensured not to do anything to upset those individuals regardless of his personal judgements of them. He didn't want to be left behind because he was seen as someone who couldn't get along with others.

They day of the return trip arrived and Max had found his efforts had paid off. He was allowed to join the expedition and was excited to finally be heading out into the wilderness. Of course the conversation was so boorish. There was only one person in the group, Arnos, who even came close to Max's level of sophistication. But the man seemed to have too little ambition to be Max's equal. Yet Max was keenly aware of Arnos being well liked by those who met him. His ability to charm people with his wit was not lost on Max.

__________________________________________________________

Max, as usual, spent his time setting up his camp off to the side of the others. He didn't want to come across as imposing. Max would keep off to the side and try to ingratiate himself into the group slowly.

"Well that was a rather invigorating little jaunt today was it not?" Max asked out loud to no one in particular.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Arvan whose player has remembered that 6 INT has no idea what invigorating or jaunt mean.

"A what? It was kind of a long hike though, huh? Suppose you got any extra food in all that gear?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did someone say food? asks Tomlin. I'm famished after today's travels. Say Max, that's your name right? Um, why did you call me a jaunt and what does that mean? Any time that someone says "little", I know they're usually talking about me.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goraxe watched the conversation from slightly to one side. When the halfling took offence at the well-to-do Max's words he chuckled in a deep resonant manner.

Then in his gruff voice he said, "Relax halfling friend. He wasn't insulting you. I believe he means the walk was a long and tiring one." then quietly into his beard and to himself more than anyone else Goraxe said "Fancy pants' fancy words may cause trouble. Hurumph!"

Goraxe unsheaths his longsword and uses his tunic to polish the runes running down the blade either side of the blood channel. He does this in an almost loving manner and mutters into his beard as he does so.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
That was the worst part last time. I wasn't carrying any food and when the place caught fire everyone else got cooked.

Wait! I didn't mean cooked like I ate them. I just mean all their stuff was wrecked.

Anyhow I was in the dark with nuttin' to eat. Every time my stomach growled, i thoght them dog men was comin' fer sure.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that some races eat dogs. Couldn't you take down one of the dog men and be fed for a month? Tomlin flashes a smile and a wink towards Arvan. Not to belittle your accomplishments on your last adventure. Say, did you make a map or anything of the area the last time that you were there?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Arvan smiles and points "It's all in here, don't worry."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arnos strokes his short beard thoughtfully as he gazes into the fire. His appearane is a bit odd for a mage, his clothing and demeanor giving him more the appearance of a nondescript traveler. Only the scroll tube hanging from his belt gives the lie to that impression, though one might still dismiss him as a mere courier.

Turning to the surivor of the last expedition, he says, "We'll have to hope your memory matches your bravery, Arvan. What concerns me is that they'll be expecting more trouble, and gnolls and lizardfolk are not foes easily dismissed. Is there anything else you can tell us about these ruins that you haven't already?".
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Max has to remember not to roll his eyes at the responses he gets to his simple attempt at conversation. He was actually beginning to miss the conversations he had with Jarel during his apprenticeship. Max wanted to respond but the conversation took a quick turn, and he fought the desire to 'set thing straight'. He needed to use care with his manner and would have to try and use smaller words. Tomlin's comment about eating dogs brought a picture of dirt peasants to mind. The thought of being reduced to such a state seemed ghastly.

"I certainly have some food to share Arvan." He said kindly and began fishing out some of the rations he had brought. "Do you know if we might be OK to start a fire here?" he asked of Arvan.

Hands: Iron Rations

Just FYI, I enjoy the role-play but don't wish to hold anything up.

Max intends to make a little conversation for the evening and then will prepare for bed. The next morning he'll pack quietly and join the others for the continued journey.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
we got at least a day. says Arvan as he starts to get some wood for the fire.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The evening passes without event, and the next day you press on to the statue of Kadmos. You find the clearing deserted this time, and so enjoy a quiet evening under the mighty warrior's protective eye.

The next day you prepare for the journey through the jungle to the Caverns. Arvan indicates he knows precisely which way to head, having been there before, but are there any other preparations you wish to make? Also, is there a typical marching order?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Max steps forward, "I thought we might travel in the following formation, to best utilize our assets."

Max points out positions to everyone.
Goraxe Tomlin
Arnos Max
Eldrin Arvan

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good to me! Tomlin smiles.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Should I just yell which way to go?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Perhaps not 'yell'. You, of all people, should know the value of stealth. We're about to enter ruins that none of us know, and to face forces superior to us in terms of numbers and strength. The wisest thing to do would probably be a series of hit and run raids, so that we can make best use of Maxmilian's and my own spells and worthy Eldrin's divine favors.".
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Max replies, "Until we reach the ruins I think it will suffice to give us simple directions, such as 'go this way for 100 paces' or 'head this way until you come to a clearing'. We can stop each time for you to get bearings and then point us further." Max is surprised he has to voice his next thought, "Or you could lead from the front. But should something happen to you I imagine our trip might be cut short."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The journey through the jungle will work according to Max's suggestion, and so you set out. You bunch and stretch as you meander your way through the dense undergrowth, dashing any visions Max may have had of a well ordered company trouping forward. Still, you manage to maintain a semblance of the order.

You arrive at the ruins just before mid-day. Arvan points out the raised platform and indicates that up on top there are stairs that will descend into a fire blackened chamber. Apparently this is where the last battle with the gnolls ended up.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Right well, I imagine we can scout around to ensure the area is not being watched." Max began. When he saw everyone looking at him, he thought maybe he was being a little forward but he had already started and figured it was too late to stop now. "Then we can set up a defensive position on the platform just outside the entrance stairs. I imagine we can send down scouts into the ruins and if they see enemies, they can lead them out into our established ambush point." Max uses his hands to emphasize his point and help communicate his plan. "We can use wood from the jungle to set up small fortifications on the platform, and if need be obstacles to cover our retreat."

"If we're successful, and it proves lucrative enough, we may even be able to set up a small base camp here so we can conduct an extended foray into these ruins." Max felt confident in his plan, but had experienced simple minded people discarding his ideas as overly complicated. He internally fortified himself for the expected incredulity he might receive.

Hands: 10' Pole
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So we're going to spend all of our time building forts on top of the ruins? Tomlin asks while scratching his head. Maybe we should've hired some people to bring with us to build them for us while we explored.
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldrin smiled to himself. If he had kept his mouth shut back at the monastery he'd still be in front of the fire enjoy some of the fine ale brewed by Brother Ling and Brother Yeung. But an order of monks dedicate to knowledge needed things to study and more important needed money to keep the monastery running. So here he was.

Eldrin says " While I do see the advantage of some fortification the noise we make constructing it might bring every critter for two leagues out to investigate. From what Master Arvan has said of this place I'd rather most things not know we're here before we meet them."

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a lot of thumbs, but there isn't a clear plan. Anyone want to propose to the group or declare an action?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well Tomlin, I'm not suggesting building a palisades here, just a few obstacles, but regardless I say we scout first." Max looked to Arvan,"Arvan could you direct us on how best to do so. Should we check down here first or look on top of the plateau here?"

Hands: 10' pole
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arnos gets a torch from his pack and lights it. He peers thoughtfully about the area and says, "I don't think Max's plan is bad, but it would take more time and there's no denying the noise might draw attention. As for, scouting, it would be awfully dangerous for whoever we sent. It's likely better that we go as a group. Are the rest of you willing?"

Hands: Torch
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about we go to those places that Arvan has been to and continue from there? Tomlin asks.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [24] |