Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
237 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

The One Ring» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: The Fellowship of Esgaroth - Mirkwood, above and below [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
This is the continuation of the story of the fellowship of Esgaroth.

Out of Character thread
Characters

Rarely in ones life can waking up be such a joy. The weather is sunny, spring is in the air, and nearby you hear to delightful sound of running water – one could easily forget that you are in Mirkwood.

Your camp is in a clearing in the intersection of the Old Forest Road and the Running River. When you get out off the tent, they can see that the dwarves are already up, preparing breakfast for everyone. A last “thank you”, for last nights rescue. As you sit down to eat, the two parties discuss their plans. Bofia, Balin and Óin are going to go north, and return to Esgaroth. Since they all just came that way, they hope the journey will be uneventful. Peregrin, Caane, Grimbold and Arongwai will travel through Mirkwood, and hopefully reach the other side, close the lands of the Wildmen. Balin tells you that the Old Forest Road used to be dangerous, but since the Shadow was defeated at the Battle of the Five Armies, he has heard it has become much safer.

Enjoying the pleasant weather and food, you discuss the coming journey through Mirkwood.

You have to decide who will take the different positions during the trek, Guide, Scout, Look-out and huntsman. On the river the guide used athletics, but in the forest, Travel will be used.

The party can also regenerate a total of 5 hope points, so you should allocate those.

Also, anyone who wishes can also make a Lore-roll to see if they make the trip easier. But beware, a failed roll can make it harder.

I'll try to get a map up before the weekend
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mirkwood, above and below
After a hearty breakfast Peregrin lits his pipe and addresses Arongwai: "Hey, Arongwai, if we are to go all the way through Mirkwood, do we get the chance to visit your king? I heard from Bilbo he was a fun guy, forgive me if this is not the way to talk of kings "


[I will be a look-out, if you don't object. I guess the hope must go to Arongwai and Grimbold, looks like they spent the most. My Lore is 2, so with my luck I think I'll abstain from rolling ]
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mirkwood, above and below
Caane sits down near the fire and prepares an herbal remedy for the aches and bruises suffers over the last few days hoping this will help heal the endurance of the fellowship.

Healing Skill 3
1d12 = (2) = 2
1d6 = (5) = 5
1d6 = (6) = 6
1d6 = (5) = 5

He says to Awrongwai, "You have proven yourself able as a guide over the river, though I'm not so sure you would be a good choice through the Mirkwood. It is a shame Bofia will not be joining us on this leg of the journey as I have no doubt He would have made a fine guide through these woods. Perhaps Grimbold will lead us now. Myself, I think my greatest asset is in performing as a scout for this fellowship."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 123669. edjrjr
  • 1d12 =
  • (2) =
  • 2
  • Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:27 pm
  • [+]
  • 123670. edjrjr
  • 1d6 =
  • (5) =
  • 5
  • Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:27 pm
  • [+]
  • 123671. edjrjr
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:27 pm
  • [+]
  • 123672. edjrjr
  • 1d6 =
  • (5) =
  • 5
  • Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:28 pm
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mirkwood, above and below
"I will be whatever the group thinks as best. Peregrin, the Elvish Kingdom lies North of here, and I'm not sure our travels will take us there. It is a grand place! However, I had hoped to slay many more foul creatures before returning."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mirkwood, above and below
"Ha, I hope to show better fighting skill than I did in that well of a place, I just need my bow!"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mirkwood, above and below
"Though I am most used to hunting in the open vale of the Anduin, I'll wager I can find us some meat in the forest, dark though it may be. Besides, we don't want to let Grin's waistline get any thinner!" With this Grimbold winks at Grin.

I've got 9 of 13 hope...a point or two more would be nice.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mirkwood, above and below
"Which puts me in mind that I could do with another plateful of that amazing brew the dwarf masters cooked!"


[I thought Arongwai could be the guide, as he is a local in these parts, but Ed raised a good point: he and Caane have Travel 1, while Grin and Grimbold have 2. On the other hand, Grin has the highest Awareness 3, and Grimbold - the highest Hunting 3. That is confusing. We do need Bofia back! ]
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb


Going through Mirkwood is going to be though. It is about 220 miles, and should take you 11 days, if the road is good. Luckily, Caane's knowledge of the healing arts has made you all well rested for the journey.

In game terms this means you have to make 3 fatigue tests during the journey. You don't need to do the other rolls, explore, awarness, travel, hunt, unless something bad happens, and I tell you to. Of course, rolling hunt can get you extra food, and rolling awareness and explore can make you find interesting stuff.

You have food for a week, so since the trip takes 11 days, you will have to do some hunting.

Feel free to make these rolls, as well as the fatigue roll, and narrate as you wish, and use traits if you like. I will take charge when I need to.

How do we look so far, with this set up, you get two in all the relevant skills:
Guide: Grimbold (2)
Scout: Peregrin (2)
Hunter: Caane (2)
Look-out: Arongwai (2)


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Also, hope. Going with what Nad suggested:

2 to Grimbold, 2 to Arongwai, and one to Caane since he has the least. Any objections?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good, and for the roles the same skill looks plausible too. Scout rolls explore / search, right? Btw, Karl, what about advancement?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
karlkrlarsson wrote:
Also, hope. Going with what Nad suggested:

2 to Grimbold, 2 to Arongwai, and one to Caane since he has the least. Any objections?
No objections to this or the roles, I'll post some flavor later!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"By the way, who's got to keep that chest we need to deliver?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimbold looked puzzled..."Hmmm..You're right Grin! Did those blasted dwarves leave and take it with them? All I know is that I don't have it! Elf, woodman, do you have it? Let's out with it so that we can get started!"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I have the box right here." Caane removes the box from his weathered pack. "Before we rest for the night I think we should decide on how we proceed. Traveling through these woods will be a difficult journey. I think Grimbold is most capable of setting a good pace for us through. He will make a good guide for this leg of our journey. With his keen elvish eyes, Awrongwai would make a most excellent scout. Grin, I have no doubt you will keep a wonderful lookout. With my bow Kernholz I will hunt when our stores get low."

Caane sits next to Grin and whispers to him. "I believe you should carry this little one." Caane quietly hands the box containing the message to the Hobbit. "I think with the absence of a dwarf in our fellowship, you would be who the Dwarf King trusts the most to make his delivery."

Caane gets up and relocates to his sleeping bag. "I want a good nights sleep. The years of traveling has made me quite hardy to the point that I will not need much rest for a quite some time, but it is nice to start a journey fully rested."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Peregrin takes the box from Caane and tucks it in his backpack to keep it as safe as possible.

"My friends, would you mind if I do some scouting for this part of our journey? We hobbit folk are known for our stealth, so maybe I can be of help if something eerie goes our way again."

Persuade (skill 2)
1d12 = (6) = 6
1d6 + 1d6 = (3) + (1) = 4


He then adds true-heartedly: "But if you mind, I can do whatever you need me too"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 124053. nadgamgee
  • 1d12 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:42 pm
  • [+]
  • 124054. nadgamgee
  • 1d6 + 1d6 =
  • (3) + (1) =
  • 4
  • Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:42 pm
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimbold agreed, "Sure I'll lead the way. How difficult can the road be...I mean, there is a road, right? Through the Forest?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
The day is beautiful as you set out, but soon the sky is darkend, not by clouds, but by the towering trees of Mirkwood. Still, you do feel some sense of security, since you can hear the comforting sound of the natural animals of the forest. The road is clearly an old Dwarven road, but it looks to have been out of proper use for a long time. Peregrin, with enthusiasm, spots a frog, and you all feel elated by the prospect of same tasty game.

First day of travel. You can all make your first fatigue check. That is a travel roll. TN (difficulty): 14.

You can also take an action if you want to.

11 days left to travel
7 days of provisions left
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[Yeah, getting excited over a frog looks exactly like Peregrin thumbsup]


While on their path, Peregrin sometimes keeps an eye on various strange leafs and grasses, collecting some of them to have a closer look and consulting with Caane if they may be used for healing. While they still feel comparatively safe, he uses a chance to enhance his herb-lore knowledge.


Would Explore work for this?
Explore (skill 2)
1d12 = (12) = 12
1d6 + 1d6 = (3) + (5) = 8

Fatigue (Travel 2)
1d12 = (4) = 4
1d6 + 1d6 = (4) + (2) = 6


[C'mon, not on the first roll! I'll spend hope I guess.]
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 124334. nadgamgee
  • 1d12 =
  • (12) =
  • 12
  • Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:51 pm
  • [+]
  • 124335. nadgamgee
  • 1d12 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:51 pm
  • [+]
  • 124336. nadgamgee
  • 1d6 + 1d6 =
  • (3) + (5) =
  • 8
  • Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:51 pm
  • [+]
  • 124337. nadgamgee
  • 1d6 + 1d6 =
  • (4) + (2) =
  • 6
  • Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:51 pm
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Caane keeps Kerholz loaded withan arrow as he travels down the old forest road. At the sight of the frog he raises his bow and aims. "I don't think we're quite to the point where this little frog needs to be our dinner quite yet." He says as he lowers his aimed bow.

Grin shows him some herbs used for his healing poultices. "thanks Grin", he says as he pulls the ones needed from the other useless herbs Grin also collected. "I used quite a bit of my stores after we dealt with the marsh dwellers."

Caane is enjoying the pace set by Gimbold through this gloomy forest.

Fatigue Check
1d12 = (4) = 4
Travel skill 1 1d6 = (3) = 3

Though the road has been difficult, Caanes years of adventuring has made him hearty and He has become difficult to make fatigued.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 124346. edjrjr
  • 1d12 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:52 pm
  • [+]
  • 124347. edjrjr
  • 1d6 =
  • (3) =
  • 3
  • Travel skill 1
  • Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:52 pm
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
OOC: Pretty close Ed, to bad your rollfailed. Not as hardy as he thought. Sometimes it is a good idea to roll first, and then edit or post the result in later.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC: did I miss the chance to use lore to help for the travel?

Mirkwood Lore: 1d12 = (5) = 5
1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6 = (4) + (5) + (4) = 13


"It is good to be under the eves of my homeland!"


travel:1d12 = (11) = 11
1d6 = (4) = 4
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 124354. bassoon201
  • 1d12 =
  • (5) =
  • 5
  • Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:54 pm
  • [+]
  • 124355. bassoon201
  • 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6 =
  • (4) + (5) + (4) =
  • 13
  • Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:54 pm
  • [+]
  • 124357. bassoon201
  • 1d12 =
  • (11) =
  • 11
  • Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:56 pm
  • [+]
  • 124358. bassoon201
  • 1d6 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:56 pm
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimbold's Travel: 2
1d12 = (11) = 11
1d6 = (1) = 1
1d6 = (2) = 2

"Let us hope that we don't regret not shooting that frog when we had the chance. I bet it will make a better meal than the weeds and grasses that Grin seems to be harvesting!"

"Now...where was that road...ah, yes...here it is. Don't stray from the path is what Beorn always used to say, and you may make it out of Mirkwood alive!"

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 124395. rcmoore4
  • 1d12 =
  • (11) =
  • 11
  • Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:36 am
  • [+]
  • 124396. rcmoore4
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • 1
  • Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:37 am
  • [+]
  • 124397. rcmoore4
  • 1d6 =
  • (2) =
  • 2
  • Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:37 am
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
First day in Mirkwood, and a ghastly find
You all fail, so you'll all get one point extra encumbrance at journeys end. Edit: Except for Peregrin, who spends hope.

Andy: Arognwai rolled a regular success on the lore roll, so you can pick one of the following
Reduce the time of travel by one day
Make one of the trips fatigue tests an automatic success.
Reduce the difficulty of fatigue tests for one character by one level for the entire journey.

Let me add that if you reduce traveling time by one day, from 11 days to 10, you will reduce the need of one fatigue test for the entire party, from a total of 3 tests to a total of 2 tests. You see you need to roll one test for each five days begun during travel in the spring. So 6-10 days would require 2 tests, while 11-15 would require 3. Feel free to include some narrative on what kind of knowledge Arongwai has, or how he is helping the party.

The two Sauron's eye will come back to haunt you. Who is affected depends on a dice roll. I will roll the dice now, but what exactly happens you will have to wait and see.

Hazard 1d12 = (8) = 8 Look-out man
Hazard 1d12 = (9) = 9Look-out man

Peregrin's successful Explore roll helps him get a better understanding of the woods. Also, Peregrin did the explore roll, the way he is exploring is looking for plants and such in the forest, and also being friendly with Caane. That might be said to fit good with the true-hearted trait of his character, as well as the herb-lore one. Lets say we'll make that an advancment.


The first day of travel goes great. You are all full of enegy, and the forest doesn't seem that dangerous. During dinner you all agree to push on, to get some extra miles in after dinner, before you set up camp.

The sun is low in the sky, but noone wants to be the on to finally recommend you stop for the night. Secretly, you all worry that you will be walking into the night. Then, as you get around a bend in the road, you come upon an turned over carrige. It is an open carrige, the kind you would expect a merchant to use. Still attatched to it is a dead horse used to pull. It stinks, it has decomposed to the point were not much is left, and it has clearly layed here through the winter. Looking more closely at the carrige you see a pair of legs sticking out from under it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 124468. karlkrlarsson
  • 1d12 =
  • (8) =
  • 8
  • Hazard
  • Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:31 pm
  • [+]
  • 124469. karlkrlarsson
  • 1d12 =
  • (9) =
  • 9
  • Hazard
  • Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:31 pm
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlier that day, while breaking camp Arongwai states, "A few more days into our journey, there is a small path known to my kin that breaks away from the main road and should cut off a day of our travels. It is hidden so I will look for the signs of where it begins when the time is right."

Upon seeing the wagon, Arongwai states, "Maybe I know the make and kind of this wagon, what peoples might it belong to and the species of horse..."

ooc:Lore for general info about background of this type of merchant wagon..

1d12 = (10) = 10
1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6 = (5) + (6) + (5) = 16

"I hope this isn't trapped!"
searching1d12 = (1) = 1
1d6 = (1) = 1
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 124489. bassoon201
  • 1d12 =
  • (10) =
  • 10
  • Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:38 pm
  • [+]
  • 124490. bassoon201
  • 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6 =
  • (5) + (6) + (5) =
  • 16
  • Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:38 pm
  • [+]
  • 124491. bassoon201
  • 1d12 =
  • (1) =
  • 1
  • Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:39 pm
  • [+]
  • 124492. bassoon201
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • 1
  • Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:39 pm
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
As far as Arongwai can tell, this is a cart someone from Dale would use, what he can see from the horse, what remains of it, is that this too is local.

Looking around the wagon, Arongwai doesn't see much, other than the obvious, that there is a body under there.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] |