The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Star Crossed
Disciples of Bone & Shadow: Core Rules
Art and Arcana: A Visual History
Highfell
Darkly Through the Labyrinth
D&D Essentials Kit
Building Tomorrow
OSR Solo
Ars Magica (5th edition)
The Tragedy of GJ 237b
A Field Guide to Hot Springs Island
Numenera Player's Guide (Revised)
Ironsworn
Strange Adventures!: The House on Poplar Court
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
The Clay That Woke
Kids on Bikes
Beyond Bightwater
Modern AGE Companion
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Autumn Slipstream
Adventurer's Companion
The Breached Fortress of Anoros
The Tartarus Gambit
English Eerie
The Engagement of Adelaide Endicott
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
No Future
LOAD ""
Lairs, Dens and Burrows
Heart of the Lizard
Atomic Heroes
The Stellar Beacon (Summer 2019)
Annihilation Rising (1E)
Bob, Lord of Evil Gamemaster Screen
Angmar: Land of the Witch King
Blue Rose (1st Edition)
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Mythic Game Master Emulator
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Lady Blackbird
Drowning and Falling
Catapult Run
Bob, Lord of Evil
Microscope
Savage Worlds Deluxe
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
334 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (1st Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: [IC] The Barstow Bandits - In Character Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


The Barstow Bandits

Three days of hard travelling from the Eastern Reaches brings your weary group to the tiny roadside town of Barstow. A cold drink and a hot meal is the only thing on your mind as you enter the first tavern you see.

An older man standing behind the bar flashes you a wide grin as you make your way inside. Off in one corner sits two young elves, almost identical in appearance. A young woman carries two of the largest beers you have ever seen, right past you and over to the Elves, making you thirst all the more.

The man behind the bar calls out to you in a cheerful tone,
"Hello ! Welcome to The Towering Tankard, what would you be havin ?"
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brulin swaggers into the tavern and smiles at the barkeep. "A place to rest our feet, food to fill our bellies, and beer to fill our hearts!" he growls. (Brulin often tries to sound friendly, but it invariably comes out a growl.) He strides happily toward a table near the center of the room, flipping the barkeep a gold coin as he passes. "This should cover it!"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, you've come the right place then, my friend. Broon Callow, at your service !"

He motions to the barmaid, "Sally, 4 ales for these fine gentlemen !" He disappears into the back for a moment, quickly returning with a plate of bread and cheese, along with a small platter of meat. The barmaid follows right behind with four of the massive mugs and shyly distributes them to each of you with a nervous smile.

"There ya be young sirs. You just let Sally or myself know if we can bring you anything else." With a quick nod, Broon leaves you to your food.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"If I'd known the beer was so good, and the service so friendly, I wouldn't have stayed away from Barstow for so long!" Brulin exclaims as he sets his mug - already half empty - down! "Gimble, my good gnome, I believe beer this fine deserves a song!"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"You are very right my good friend Brulin!" Gimble climbs up on an a nearby table and pulls his lute off of his back and starts playing a tune.

Perform (Instrument) 1d20+7 = (6) + 7 = 13

"Hear ye! Hear ye! Gimble the bard plays a melodious tune! Yes, yes thank you very much, tips are welcome! Would anyone like to buy me a beer?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 124369. Military Muskrat
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (6) + 7 =
  • 13
  • Perform (Instrument)
  • Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:10 pm
Adam H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"You could nearly swim in the drink you have Gimble," Winn says with a smile, "But for one your songs, you deserve another."

Winn sits back in his chair to enjoy the song and his drink.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"There once was a man named Winn
He wasn't part of any kin
He was healer
and not a big damage dealer
he was stingy with his money
and not at all funny
he wouldn't even buy his friends a beer
even if they were his peers!"


"Ha Ha! Perhaps that will teach you not to speak so mockingly of my intake of drink! Ha ha!"
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Excellent, excellent," chuckles Morbur "remind me never to mock a gnome and his beer!." Having finished his own drink, he beckons for another, looking with interest around at his fellow patrons as he waits.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Winn almost chokes on his drink, laughing at Gimble's song. "Quick, get the gnome a beer on me before he sings another verse!" he calls to the barkeep.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As Gimble sings, the two Elves grab their beers and move a little closer. They chuckle a bit as the song progresses, obviously entertained by the tune.

When the song finishes, as Morbur and Winn call to the barkeep, one of the Elves steps forward.

"Please, allow us to buy the next round.I am called Beck Softwallow", he says with a slightly unbalanced bow, "and this, my brother Breel" he adds with a nod to the other.

The barmaid is there in no time, with another four of the huge ales.

You're just about to start on the next round when the door bursts open and a young girl enters the tavern in state of panic.

"Please, help us ! We've been attacked, my father is wounded !"

Broon comes out from behind the bar, shouting to the barmaid as he heads out the door with the girl, "Go get Ozzie and Maria, bid them come quickly."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brulin enjoys the song immensely, roaring with laughter and clapping the gnome on his back so hard that the little man is almost knocked off the table.

When the elves arrive, he stands to greet them as graciously as he knows...which is, of course, far short of what they might expect from other elves.

He is still on his feet as the girl runs in - and in a flash he hefts his axe and sprints to her side. "Which way, girl? This axe isn't named Troubleseeker for nothing!"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As Brulin rushes for the door, Morbur jumps to his feet looking over a Winn and Gimble and without speaking moves to catch up with Brulin.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The girl takes a step back at first, when Brulin comes rushing over. She glances briefly at the huge Barbarian and his hefty axe, before replying..."Just outside..."

Outside you see a horse drawn carriage, riddled with arrows. Lying on the ground next to the carriage is the girl's father, an arrow protruding from his shoulder. Two other girls, younger than the first, kneel at his side. The first girl is talking to Broon as they approach her father, "...just crossed the river on the bridge south of here when they surprised us. Father tried to stop them from taking the swords, we almost got away."

A man and woman come running up quickly, Sally the barmaid close behind. The two of them begin tending to the girls' father, a look of worry on both of their faces.

He sees you watching and Broon walks over to whisper to you, "Oswald and Maria run the stable here in Barstow, they're the closest thing we have to a doc in these parts."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gimble leaps off the table and swings his lute over his back and runs outside to see what all the commotion is about.
"Any idea who these brigands are? Why did they kill your father?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Military Muskrat wrote:
Gimble leaps off the table and swings his lute over his back and runs outside to see what all the commotion is about.
"Any idea who these brigands are? Why did they kill your father?"


"We've never seen these men before. We're travelling North to Dramura to sell the swords that my father makes. And he's NOT dead ! He's going to be okay !"

Clearly upset by Gimble's poor choice of words, she turns and stomps off.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Of course not!," Brulin shouts after the girl. "When Brulin is around, the good guys don't die - but the villains most certainly do!" Turning to his companions, he says more quietly. "Can one of you aid that poor man? I am afraid my many wounds have taught me little more than to hit harder, I know nothing of medicine." Then his face darkens. "But I do know of villainy, and I do not like it." Brulin checks his armor and begins to stride south, toward the bridge....
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gimble leans low over the body.

"Oops, I guess he's not dead. Yo, Brulin wait up!"

Gimble runs to catch up with Brulin.

"You weren't gonna leave me behind were you?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Winn follows his companions outside, sees the wounded man, and watches Gimble run off with his healing magic. "The gnome can be unpredictable at times," he thinks with a smile. Winn kneels down next to the wounded man. "I'll do what I can for him untill the doctor arrives," he says.

Heal:
1d20+7 = (4) + 7 = 11
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 124516. FoggyPlanet
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (4) + 7 =
  • 11
  • Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:18 pm
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As Winn approaches the wounded man, Oswald and Maria are just finishing applying a bandage. Oswald stands and turns to face Winn.

"We removed the arrow tip and cleaned the wound as best we can. If you can offer any help stopping the bleeding it would be most appreciated."

Unfortunately you're not able to do much more for the man than has already been done. He is still bleeding through the bandages, but seems coherent.

"My dear daughters..." he rasps to the girls. "I'm sorry I couldn't stop them, thank the gods you're all unharmed. I fear we'll not make it to Dramura... what's the point now, without those swords..."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Winn determine whether the man is actually dying, or just injured?

Brulin isn't exactly the sort to ask questions, he's a man of action! But as a player I recognize that we need information occasionally, so he'll just walk slowly and deliberately until everyone catches up.


As Gimble approaches, Brulin laughs. "Of course not, Master Bard! I will need someone to compose this chapter of the Ballad of Brulin the Bold, shan't I?" As the bridge comes into view, he slows his stride and checks over his shoulder for his companions.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The man is not in any immediate danger, a couple days of bed rest will reveal how well he will mend.

You won't be to the bridge that quickly, keep in mind that they came on a horse drawn carriage in a state of emergency, probably pushing the horses as fast as they could go !

The bridge is at least a few hours walking distance.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Anyone have horses we can use? Anyone? This is an emergency. We're gonna need 4. And if you want to hear me sing again you'd better lend us some. Well? Anyone?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With the help of his daughters the wounded man is able to stand up and addresses Winn & Morbur, "Thank you kind sir for your efforts, I think I will be okay. My name is Nigel, Nigel Bloomtwist. These are my daughters, Ashell, Ariad and Alesta."

He goes on to explain that he is a craftsman of fine swords, mainly worn by wealthy aristocrats and politicians. The weapons he makes are more for show, inlaid with jewels and precious gems. They had 6 swords specially made for the Lord of Dramura, a large city a few days north of here.

They were just crossing the Charg River several miles south of Barstow, when three men attacked them and made off with the weapons.

He seems to be evaluating the two of you while he tells the story, "You gentlemen look the type to take on the odd job here and there. I would gladly pay for the safe return of those swords. They are quite magnificent and will bring me over 5,000 pieces of gold. I will split that money with you if you're interested."

Nigel Bloomtwist has travelled this way many times and is able to provide you with some general info about the surrounding area.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"YEAH we're interested! I mean, yes we would be happy to hunt down the swords for you. Can we use those horse over there? The ones on your carriage? If you don't let us have them *sigh*, it might take us at least a month to get them back. And our poor legs will be so tired from walking and we might get killed. Unless Brulin here offers to carry me on his back?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Military Muskrat wrote:
"Anyone have horses we can use? Anyone? This is an emergency. We're gonna need 4. And if you want to hear me sing again you'd better lend us some. Well? Anyone?


Making your way back to the others, you see that the man is on his feet now and speaking with Winn and Morbud.

When you inquire about the horses, the man and woman who had been helping walk over to you.

"We run the stables here, Maria and I do. We don't have any horses of our own though, the only ones at the stables are the two horses belonging to those Elf brothers."

Nigel speaks up, "I would offer you my horses to use, but these two are fitted for the carriage and have been pulling hard for 3 days now."

Broon Callow adds, "Those bandits may be long gone by now, no telling where they'll be heading."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.