Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
140 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 3-01: The Frostfur Captives» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Bearpaw's The Frostfur Captives PBF - IC thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC Thread - Character Geeklist

Absalom, the City at the Center of the World. Founded 4700 years ago and designed by the god Aroden himself according to myth, Absalom is a hub of mercantile and spiritual activity, as well as a living part of mythology. Traders from all over the globe come to sell their wares in this shining beacon of civilization.
Many armies have tried to conquer Absalom, but it has never fallen. The ruins of dozens of siege castles litter the grounds outside Absalom’s walls, and its harbor is so choked with the masts and hulls of sunken warships that safely reaching the city's docks requires the steady eye of a paid pilot.

At the heart of the Foreign Quarter lies an immense walled fortress, within which is located the headquarters of the Pathfinder Society, the Grand Lodge. The Pathfinders are a widespread group of treasure hunters, thrill-seekers, sages, and voyagers, and make it their lives’ work to uncover lost artifacts, map neglected ruins, and learn forgotten knowledge. They do these things for the sake of lore, as well as for fame, they are part archaeologist, part historian, and all adventurer.
The Society is governed by the Decemvirate, 10 anonymous leaders who pull strings and guide the organization from Skyreach in the Grand Lodge of Absalom, on the Isle of Kortos. They hand down orders from their secret posts to venture-captains, who in turn pass the orders to field agents. The Society has few rules, but all Pathfinders are expected to perform the Three Duties: explore, report, and cooperate.


---------------------------------------------

"Close the door," Ambrus Valsin murmurs as you gather in his office. The tall and meticulously groomed man is the venture-captain in charge of the daily operations in and around the Grand Lodge. "Let me start by saying, this mission is not for dissemination among other members of the Society." The chamberlain of the Grand Lodge gives everyone a serious look before continuing. "This mission is not an investigation, just a simple, straightforward assignment, but that makes it no less important."

"I need you to book passage to the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, and cross over into Irrisen. You're to head north and rendezvous with another team who have captured some—"
Valsin pauses for a heartbeat before continuing. "—persons of interest. We have reason to believe that these individuals have information on some rogue Pathfinder cells that are refusing to reconcile with the Society." Valsin's expression becomes particularly grim at that point.

"If these rogue cells are outright refusing amnesty, then they represent a clear threat to all of us. I need you to take charge of these captives and get them out of Irrisen safely and quietly. Once you're clear of Irrisen, a larger extraction team will take custody of them and bring them in for questioning. Of course, we will cover the expense of your travels in full, and provide maps to lead you to the meeting point in Irrisen. Because of the nature of the mission and Irrisen itself, you'll be meeting the other team in the field, away from what passes for civilization up there. The team you'll be getting the prisoners from will show you the best route out of Irrisen, and the castellan of Trollheim has agreed to grant you passage through his lands. You are responsible for avoiding unexpected trouble between the handoff and Trollheim."

Valsin gestures your team to depart, but pauses, staring at his fireplace for a moment before adding, "Wait. You need to know this. Your prisoners will be goblins. The Pathfinder seperatists made extensive use of the sadistic creatures as soldiers and servants, and as much as you want to throttle them, please remember that we need them alive." He then asks, "Do you have any questions before I send you off?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Waiting for the paint to dry.
badge
Ooh! Shiny.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolger scratches his chin and takes a quick look around the room, checking out the other adventurers. A bunch of feeble spell-slingers all of them he'd guess, bah, what wouldn't he give to travel with some real men or women for that sake as long as they knew how to handle cold, hard steel instead.

Preparing to spit on the floor in disgust he suddenly remembers it wouldn't be wise with Ambrus looking at him so he just grumbles instead, almost missing the last of Ambrus speech.

"Goblins you say." in a disbelieving voice.
"What use are they to you dead or alive, you know you can't trust them don't you?"

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Ruoq appreciates the opportunity to wear his priest's clothes - no armor, weapons or heavy bundles. Now it's only a grey robe, a simple blue spiral symbol on his neck and a small ritual dagger on the rope belt. He feels easy and comfortable, and this also holds him from commenting on goblins' nature. Usually he would probably say: "There's no use of judging the living - they will be judged at the proper time. And not by you, fools!" But now he just snorts and continues to listen.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Huysmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Silwyna gives Valsin a nervous stare and whispers, "That is a joke right, goblins?" Tugging at her dress she looks uncomfortable, glancing at the people that she will need to learn to trust with her life.
Thinking for a second she asks, "Why doesn't this extraction team bring them in themselves?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Valsin gives Bolger a sly smile. "Not to worry, our operatives are not new to this sort of thing. We'll seperate them so we can compare and contrast their stories, which is why at least half of them will need to survive," he emphasizes.

He then adresses the young woman, explaining, "The extraction team is large and designed to keep the goblins from being killed by vigilant town guards or angry commoners with a grudge before they have a chance to talk, and a team that size would draw too much attention in Irrisen. And the team responsible for capturing the goblins is very experienced in moving through Irrisen without being noticed, so we need them to remain in the field."

Valsin skims through some notes on his desk for a moment, "The team is led by, let's see here, Ragna Lightfoot. There should be no question about the trustworthiness of her and her team."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
"Your word ...," mutters Ruoq with some poorly disguised irony, but then remembers who he's talking to and cuts himself immediately, "... is absolutely enough, captain," and quickly continues, "How soon should we be leaving Absalom and what's your advice regarding the ship?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Waiting for the paint to dry.
badge
Ooh! Shiny.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Lands of the Linnorm Kings, quite a journey. How do we get there?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Huysmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to relax Silwyna asks, "Is there a time limit that the goblins need to be at the meeting point?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I've taken the liberty of arranging passage on a ship. She's called Ravenscar, and she leaves at dusk, so you still have some time to head into the city for supplies if necessary. I'm sure I needn't remind you the north can be quite cold. The ship will drop you off at the mouth of the Rimeflow River, and from there it's only a short trek to your meeting point."

Valsin sits back down before answering Silwyna's question, "It's three and a half days journey from your rendezvous point to the extraction point outside Trollheim, but the extraction team will remain in place for an additional day in case you're delayed. Just remember, don't look for trouble."

Any PC's that have a rank in Knowledge (local) or Knowledge (geography), can make a skill check for it now (roll 1d20 and add your relevant modifier).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent roll!

Here's some facts you know about Irrisen:

You will be crossing a disputed border between two warring countries—Irrisen and the Lands of the Linnorm Kings. Getting too close to the actual border before you're ready to cross will invite trouble. There is no easy way to cross the Iceflow River, which forms the border between the nations north of the mighty Rimeflow River, without attracting unwanted attention from Ulfen defenders who may not look kindly on goblins passing through their lands.

It is eternally winter in Irrisen, and a lot of food is imported. There are no crops or easily obtained foodstuffs except those gained through fishing and some hunting of migratory animals.

Snow goblins are citizens in Irrisen. This is definitely true in Whitethrone, but one might expect them to have some degree of social rank everywhere else.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Also, remember that you'll have to travel on foot. In other circumstances you could use horses or dog sleds, but you can't when traveling with goblins, as they won't tolerate either beast to live. Now, if there's nothing else, I suggest you use the time you have remaining before embarking to prepare yourselves." Then with a final nod for luck, the venture-captain dismisses you.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Waiting for the paint to dry.
badge
Ooh! Shiny.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir, before we go, we could probably use some additional funds to get us through this endeavour?

Not having any relevant skills I'll just roll a general haggling roll (if that's ok that is). Funds 1d20 = (9) = 9
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 123381. Doomfarer
  • 1d20 =
  • (9) =
  • 9
  • Funds
  • Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:39 am
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Waiting for the paint to dry.
badge
Ooh! Shiny.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking around the room Bolger isn't impressed by his fellow adventurers, but he's smart enough to realize that looks can deceive and that they probably wouldn't have been selected for this mission f they couldn't handle themselves.

"Let's go together, we need to learn to cooperate."

And under his breath...

"Holy Mother, you're really testing me aren't you"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Valsin looks up at Bolger and smiles, "Nice try, but you know the protocol. I trust you will be able to take care of yourselves."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
"After all, there's always someone who will take care of you." Ruoq points to some point in space where the Astral Plane could be, if "point" and "space" had any meaning there. Then he nods to Pertwee and leaves the room.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Waiting for the paint to dry.
badge
Ooh! Shiny.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolgers follows the Dwarf and the weird man (age?) to the door, hold it open and look at the girl.

"Coming?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Huysmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes i'm coming. Silwyna says quietly and follows the others outside.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Arriving at the docks, you breathe in the pleasantly warm south-west wind blowing in from across the Inner Sea. The air smells of salt and sweat here, and in addition to the constant yelling of working men shifting loads and readying ships, criers also add to the ruckus of the docks, advertising the services of nearly every business in Absalom.

With Valsin's instructions, you're quickly able to locate the ship you're looking for. She's a sturdy two-mast brigantine, with raised fore- and sterncastles.

As you approach the ship, you are greeted by a woman with shortcropped black hair. "I take it you're the Pathfinder delegation we've been expecting?" She walks down the gangplank with the confident gait of a sailor. Shaking your hand, she introduces herself, "Well met! I'm Kaylee, captain of the Ravenscar. We'll leave in a few hours once we're done loading all of our cargo, I'll have someone show you to your cabins in the meantime."

Leading you aboard the ship, she continues, "The voyage should be pretty relaxing, we make the trip to the Lands of the Linnorm Kings at least once a month. We'll stick to the coast of Cheliax, then strike into open sea when we head north."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
"A pleasure for the eyes, definitely," continues Ruoq, "but my hope she's reliable as well. I much prefer being buried in a grave beside a church, and not in the depths or in a monster's belly."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Waiting for the paint to dry.
badge
Ooh! Shiny.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolger having only sailed once previously in his live (and not enjoying it) reluctantly climbs the gangplank. All I need now is a storm and some pirates.

"How many days will it take?" He asks in a gruff voice.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaylee grins, "Don't worry, she's a sturdy ol' gall. If the weather goes our way, we should see you to your destination in a little over a week." The ship's deck is a bustle of activity, with numerous sailors going about the business of tying down ropes and lowering crates of cargo into the hold.

The captain proceeds to introduce you to her first mate, a slightly older man with a shaggy beard. After leading you below deck he shows you to your cabins. "Yer free ta roam around the ship, just be makin' sure ya don't get in anyone's way," he says before taking his leave.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Ruoq turns to his companions: "I heard the sight of the city from the sea is breathtaking, so I'm going to leave my luggage in the cabin and return to the upper deck. Anybody cares to keep my company, dear fellows?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Waiting for the paint to dry.
badge
Ooh! Shiny.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolger returns to the upper deck as well.

"I'll follow you, down here I feel like a rabbit in a snare."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Huysmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Silwyna follows the two others as well.
I too heard that the sight is breathtaking, so we can see it for ourselves now.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After arriving back on deck, you stare out over the docks and observe the crew as they finish loading up all the cargo. A few hours later, as dusk starts to set in, the ship leaves port. The soft sea-breeze blows through your hair, and for a moment you forget all your worries.

Days fly past, and the journey is long but mostly uneventful. After a week, the ship reaches its destination, and you take your leave of Captain Kaylee and her crew. A short trek later, utilizing the maps you've received from the venture-captain, and you arrive at the rendezvous location.

Looking around, you see about six people, who all have the tell-tale garb and look of rangers and druids. Most of them are already in the process of breaking down their shelters, in preparation to move on. One of them, a large woman with long, shaggy blonde hair and clad in leather, seems to be giving orders to the others. As soon as she notices your approach, she comes over to greet you. "Hail, you must be my fellow Pathfinders. I'm Ragna Lightfoot, the leader of this little band. If you'll follow me, I'll introduce you to your charges."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |