Recommend
22 
 Thumb up
 Hide
769 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [31] | 

Dungeons & Dragons (4th Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: No Name Adventure - IC Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC is here



Westmarch is the westernmost part of the great continent of Llilongwё, and probably, the oldest. It is the land full of legends and is said to have a song or a story for every stone, bush and water puddle around. There is no straight borderline between Westmarch and the rest of the continent, but you just know when you are there, there may be no mistake. Those who come here usually follow the path leading to the notable town of Briit, at the foot of the Lakey Hills.

Briit is basically a bazaar, and whatever could be sold is sold here. Apart from the general never ceasing trade that goes on all year round, 3 times a year the town holds its famous fairs, Mayfair being the biggest and most popular. It goes by the slogan "What is not found here, is not to be found anywhere at all", so no wonder folk all over the continent, and even beyond, come here, for business or just out of curiosity. With this variety of people the good thing about Briit is that no one really gives a damn who or what you are, so no race or job is ever frowned upon, unless you break the local law, and if you do, well, you'd better not.

However, it is not the lavish riches that bring you here. Once you heard of the local "attraction" the town offers, and you went all the long way to take part in it.

The town is single-handedly ruled by the town guardian known as The Taylor, and this particular man has the custom of annually offering the "promotional quest" during Mayfair. If the volunteers succeeded, the reward was worthy, in gold, fame and future career. The locals believe that The Taylor does this out of his goodwill, and even if he has his own reasons for this, no one ever fancied questioning them, out of sheer respect and awe held for the guardian. It is this challenge that brought you to the western parts.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
It is the second day of the week-long Mayfair, the day when the town guardian traditionally announces his yearly task. You notice the folk impatiently pacing near the arranged platform in the centre, clearly this thing is a big deal around. You make your way to the very edge of the platform too, to have a better view. At noon sharp the trumpet is heard, and the folk around go cheering as the town guardian steps to the platform. The man known here as The Taylor has "badass" written all over him, and the "I-can-rip-you-in-two-with-my-bare-hands-if-you-mess-with-me" air around him. He's the one all the local men dream to look like when they're as seasoned as he is, and all the women around blush deeply if they happen to catch a mere look from him. At the move of his hand, the cheering folk go quiet.

"Hear ye, hear ye!" The Taylor announces. "For those of you who seek fortune and glory in the bold adventure, I hereby offer an opportunity. Are there those who wish to prove themselves in a challenge?"

A couple of locals part from the crowd around, and step to the platform. The crowd goes cheering again.

"Jaime, it's the third year you come here, when will you actually sign up?" - the guardian jokingly addresses one of the volunteering locals, to the amusement of the crowd. "So is it all we have this year? The task is easy - fight the beasts, escape the traps, bring me what I bid you, and get your reward! Anyone else?"

The amused shouts of "Go, Rory!" and "Mabel, show them all!" are heard from the crowd, locals are clearly having fun with the procedure. More folk step to the platform, some very unusual kind among them. You feel it is time you join the volunteers, too.

"Very good, very good... So, brave adventurers, this year I want you to bring me whatever you find in the highest room of the tallest tower ... of the Old Keep!"

When the name of the Old Keep is uttered, the crowd suddenly goes uneasily quiet again. The "brave adventurers" suddenly start to back as fast as they first appeared on the platform, some falling off as they want to be the first to leave, getting some laughs from the crowd again. Someone shouted "You must be a fool to go to the Old Keep!", but the guardian ignores the remark.

At this moment you realize that apart from you, only 3 people are still left on the platform with the guardian. The crowd is waiting impatiently for the outcome.


OOC: Your turn, guys!
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratibor
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
Zimnij (Shifter Warden)

Zimnij views the three brave souls who are left, a Deva, an Eladrin and a Human, then addresses the human, but loudly enough for everyone to hear:

"Seems like you're the only one who can still go back on this and come clear, but if any of us runs away now the folk here will deem our whole race as cowards." Addressing the guardian: "I'm in."
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
Aretemis Waverunner


Waverunner was extremely skeptical of this group. He was accepting, though, of the odd mix of races. Since his journey from the Feywild, he had rarely kept company with those of his own race. And although he found the mongrul races a bit distasteful, he had learned he had to make do to survive.

"Aye, I am in as well."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
Sizing up the others still on the platform, Aabel reflexively feels for the daggers hidden throughout his clothing.

"Well I am always up for a challenge."

"I'm in!" He says while looking out over the silent crowd.




7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratibor
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
(giving a friendly nudge to the human guy) "Ha, you seem better than your folk over there! Never say no to a good challenge, I'd say! And our Eladrin companion here might agree that we strangers should stick together in these parts."

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
"A trio of eager gentle...folk we seem to have this year" - the guardian closely views the candidates again. "I presume our silent lady is not going to back on her wish to join the challenge?"
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Join The Ravens of VGG- Wyrdstone, Gold & Glory Awaits!
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
Well hello there all *looks round excitedly* nice to see you all
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
The mysterious Deva lady doesn't utter a word, but gestures to the guardian in sign language: "I must follow the vow of silence till the full moon, but since I am still here, you can count on me".

Suddenly, you hear the bustle in the crowd as someone is pushing his way to the platform, panting in a hurry. You cannot yet see who that is, but you hear the desperate "Wait! Wait for me! I'm here!"

The crowd parts to let the latecomer pass, and you see an Elvish girl graciously jump to the platform.


OOC: Meshell, here you come.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
Corps_of_Oa wrote:
Well hello there all *looks round excitedly* nice to see you all

OOC: Meshell, write your response to the post I've just added, you'll the be the one late for the party. If you want to say smth to the players, and not to the characters, put OOC and make it gray.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
"Well, well, I'm really pleased to have such eager participants this year, this young lady here should serve as an example for all of you!" The guardian gave the Elven girl a good squeeze at her shoulder.

"So, if no one else is willing, we'll consider the company full. You start early tomorrow. Our most trusted herald Civico here will provide you with the map, the supplies and whatever else you will need in your endeavour." - The Taylor pointed to a skinny young lad with a lute, obviously the guy was adding minstrelling to his job of a herald. "And as you all know, Civico also will be our bookie." The crowd goes all eager and cheery again. "With this, good folk, I wish you luck in your quest, I'll be waiting for you to report upon your return. Oh, and today ale is on me for you!"

The guardian leaves the platform to the general merriment. You have the rest of the day to yourself.

OOC: You are welcome to spend the rest of your day as you see fit, try to engage in some social encounters and get acquainted among yourself. Post away!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratibor
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
"Hey, hard to say no to free ale! I say we go to the tavern, grab a pint and get to know each other." Shifter looks around for the nearest inn, and jokingly adds with a tone of a captain leading his people to battle: "Follow my lead! "

He quickly reaches the tavern, motions to the barkeep and occupies a seat at a vacant table (the chair nearest to the wall), waiting for the rest to join.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
falconer wrote:
"Hey, hard to say no to free ale! I say we go to the tavern, grab a pint and get to know each other." Shifter looks around for the nearest inn, and jokingly adds with a tone of a captain leading his people to battle: "Follow my lead! "

He quickly reaches the tavern, motions to the barkeep and occupies a seat at a vacant table (the chair nearest to the wall), waiting for the rest to join.

Artemis followed his new furry companion. "If you don't mind, I'll take a little less conspicuous perch over in the corner and survey the local inhabitants," he said.

Artemis will sit stand by the entrance and survey the room, looking for any suspicious or otherwise oddly acting individuals, while his companions can take the more direct approach of speaking with the barkeep.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
Avatar
mb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
The Deva enters the tavern, slowly and deliberately. The Deva takes a long up and down look at Artemis by the door.

The Deva sits next to Shifter and motions in sign to the barkeep for two flagons of water.

The Deva grabs an extra chair and places it next to where the Deva will sit.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
The barkeep hurries to his new customers.

"Here here, welcome to my inn! I hear you are this year's adventurers, very nice of you to drop in here. Ale for the gentlemen and water for the lady".
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
Avatar
mb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
The Deva looks slowly at the barkeep. Sensing confusion over his traveler's robes he signs, in the universal language,

"I am male, one flagon of water for my self, and one for the absent God at our table."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
Aabel, stands in a dark corner surveying the room. With his dark cloak he blends into the shadows to almost not appear at all unless you knew he was there.

"No ale for me." He says startling the barmaid who didn't see him standing there. Knowing he tends to overindulge when it comes to drink, Aabel though tit best to start this quest with a clear head. There would be plenty of time for drink afterwards.

Noticing a pile of coin in front of a drunkard sitting at the bar, Aabel fights back the temptation to steal the coin. There is no point in taking a risk of theft inside the city limits right before a chance of rightfully earning the reward for the completion of this quest.

Aabel sneakily moves next to the table where his new companions sat. "I'm ready to get this thing underway." He says while startling them as they did not notice him approaching the table. "And mind your drinking. I've a feeling we will need our wits about us come morning."
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Join The Ravens of VGG- Wyrdstone, Gold & Glory Awaits!
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
Elendithas rushes into the tarven and nearly runs into the first table. Seeing all the others already there she makes her way quickly to the table where the others are sat. Glad I managed to get here before you all got too drunk" she says with a smile as she pulls up a stool to join them. "Heres to a safe adventure"

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratibor
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
Shifter grabs the mug and cheers too: "Yeah, to our success!" He then drinks the whole mug in one impressive gulp.

"Well, guys, as I understand this affair, our reward will not change if fewer of us return, so I say we stick together, no need for rivalry on this quest. Oh, and I guess it's time to find out what we have really signed for."

He looks around and cannot but notice that most folk around keep casting sideways glances at them, as they obviously have become the attraction of the day. He turns to the nearest table and taps one of the men sitting there at his shoulder: "Excuse me, good man, could you tell us strangers of the place we're sent to?"
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
The man turns to Shifter and you realize you can vaguely remember his face among those who first volunteered for the quest, but then promptly escaped the platform. "Look at you, young daredevils!" - he says with a chuckle. - "You should have asked this before you got into it, not after! Our Taylor man is tough in his tasks, but this Old Keep he's sending you to... Well, he's probably right though, only complete strangers to these parts would even think of venturing there."

"Yeah, folk," - another man at the table chimes in, - "I'll probably bet against you, no offense."

Noticing the anticipated look in your eyes, the man you addressed leans a bit closer to you and adds in low voice: "It's ... kinda haunted ... not simply haunted, spooks and stuff, spooks are everywhere here, no surprise, but ... eerie things happens there. Folk disappear. No trace left, just gone. I won't be surprised if something is eating them poor souls that happen to go astray in that direction."

"Nay, no beast there" - his neighbour adds, - "Or so I think. But that is true, no one ever returned from the Old Keep, that is, alive. Dark magic, no doubt, or devilry, choose what you like best."

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
Artemis searches his memory to see if he's heard of the Keep before and its past...either in his formal education in the Feywild (unlikely) or from his travels in the Mortal Realm.

I'd like to make a History check for this (History +3): 1d20+3 = (5) + 3 = 8

[Not sure how you want to do skill checks Grin...you want us to tell you what we want to do and you determine if it is possible and the appropriate skill? Or should we go ahead and suggest our own skill, with difficulty unknown?]
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 117512. rcmoore4
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (5) + 3 =
  • 8
  • Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:33 pm
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
To Artemis the name doesn't seem familiar, after all, this keep is probably just some local site. In his travels he heard of lots of places people are afraid to go to, no wonder this region has one too.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
As you talk to folk at the adjacent table, more people shift their places to sit nearer to you, even the barmaid joins. Most of them nod at what is told to you, especially about the missing folk. “The gw-nak legend has it …” – says the barmaid, but she is interrupted, as at that moment the door is opened with a loud and cheerful “Here you are!” This is Civico, the young lean lad from the platform, who goes directly to your table and drops himself at the seat near Elendithas. “I see you are enjoying the publicity,” – he smiles, then views the guys nearby “and you, of course, are scaring our guests with all sorts of weird tales, eh? There’s nothing immediately devilish about the Keep…” - “Says he who has half of his heart-breaking ballads dedicated to the mysterious place,” – the barmaid smirks at him. Civico grins back and tries to grab a mug from her tray, but she promptly jerks it up and into her other hand: “It’s free for them, not for you!” With this she graciously walks away. Civico sighs, and turns to you:

“Okay, so whatever they were telling you … The Old Keep is what its name says, just a Keep. It’s ancient, or – what goes beyond ancient? No one knows for sure who put it here, they say it was already half ruined when our people first settled in these hills. Even the gw-naks don’t know who put all the stonework in these parts, and they were here loooong before us. Anyway, we deem it must be hold together by magic, as no stone may simply endure for all those years, and it still has some walls and towers and stuff, and I personally believe a whole load of mountain creatures may as well find dwelling there now. Maybe because of them beasts, or because of this ageless feel the Keep earned the reputation of a place better left to its own, and mind you, we are used to all sort of weird things in these hills, no problem. And yes, some fools trying to mess with it to prove their recklessness did gone missing, and we got this “no trace” rumour spread, but probably their bones are still there, just no one went to check.”

“See, I told you no man ever came back, no man!” – says your table neighbour whom you addressed earlier. “Hey, you know perfectly well there’s at least one who did!” – Civico replies, but the man doesn’t seem to be content with that. “And he will never talk about it anyway! Don’t you think he has a good reason?” The awkward silence follows this remark. The passing barmaid slaps the man at the back of his head. “We are not to question The Taylor’s ways!” snaps Civico sharply. His grave retort contrasts strongly with the joyful mood he was just having – and as you are to learn, always has – but this change is but momentary.

“Um, guys, don’t let them discourage you, okay? The Taylor will not send you to death, that is, obvious and immediate death, okay? And I promise you a ballad, nay, I promise you a saga if you succeed! So, what else was I going to tell you? Ah, yes. Good choice of a tavern, and I do suggest you stay here for the night while you can afford it, they offer the softest bug-free beds, we pay for your stay, so no worries. Your provisions will be ready for you in the morning. Oh, yeah, and the map, where was it?”

OOC: I’m yet to draw the map for your journey. If you wish to ask Civico or other customers for anything else, or to talk among yourselves, you are welcome to. If not, we’ll assume you enjoyed the rest of the day, went to roam the fair and spent a peaceful (unless otherwise stated) night of a full moon, so that our Deva can talk now
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
Artemis makes an insight roll...he thinks this guy is holding back information...he wants to see if his body language gives him away. If it's clear, then we can use this against him, perhaps to get more info out of him...especially the name of this lone survivor.

Artemis was now VERY interested in the conversation...but he suspected this newcomer was lying.
Insight +3
1d20+3 = (11) + 3 = 14
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 118108. rcmoore4
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (11) + 3 =
  • 14
  • Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:34 pm
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Name Adventure (my GMing trial) - IC Thread
Due to his usual distrust of mortals, Artemis suspiciously looks at Civico, but nothing in the lad's eyes or otherwise gives up he is insincere. Seems like if he doesn't say something, it is because you simply didn't ask.

OOC: Paranoia, paranoia Btw, he did mention who the survivor was - it was their guardian.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [31] |