Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Owl watches as Narhand slaps his neck to rid himself of mosquitoes.

He says to anyone and no-one, "What did the mosquito say when he saw the man in plate mail?" Owl pauses for a second then continues "Oh No! Not more tinned food!"

Owl chuckles to himself then goes and lends a hand holding the rope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Come now friends.  We've plenty of paths to investigate that don't involve a possible drop onto jagged rocks or a descent into a pit from which we can't easily escape.  Let's return to where we dispatched the gnolls and press on from there.  At least there is something known and explored... and with likely treasures.

Xeno motions back to the original building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuckling at Owl's humorous comment. Responding to Xeno, "Sounds good to me. Let us get away from this infernal swamp."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmb
Deree: A cavern you say? Doesn't that give us a better chance of catching these guys by surprise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
As Toyrn is tying the rope around his waist, Aldris chimes in again. "Sure you want to play bait-on-the-line, chum? Gods knows what's down there, but probably nothing good. Even those dog boys would be smart enough not to live in a spot with a hole in the roof.".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toryn is perched at the edge of the sinkhole, listening to all of your comments. Whatever floor this hole may have, it is certainly more than twenty or thirty feet down, you are sure you could see that far, even with the harsh sun above you. Occasionally, Toryn thinks he sees a glint, perhaps of reflected sunlight? In any case, it is now a choice of back to the building, or a descent into the hole to see more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you like a torch to drop down the hole to see if you can see anything, Toryn? Lazlo asks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Excellent idea Lazlo or with anther rope we could lower a lantern down"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have torches and more rope if that's what we want to do. Lazlo says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmb
"I have a lantern, but I'm not sure Toryn would want me to let go of the rope to dig it out".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Torch or lantern it doesn't really matter. Let's get a bit more rope up here with something burning on the end of it. I thought I saw something shiny down there but it's a fair ways down"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lazlo fetches the lantern from Deree's pack, lights it, ties it to the end of his rope and hands it all to Toryn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
"Anything I can do apart from hold the rope?" Owl asks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toryn leans out over the opening and slowly lowers the rope, with lantern attached. With the additional light, you can see that the sides of the hole are smoother than you expected. Perhaps this round hole was put here deliberately? After ten fifteen feet the sides widen away, to where you cannot see them from your vantage point. You see only the light of the lantern in a sea of darkness below it.

Still, you slowly lower the lantern. Suddenly you hear screeching noises and several black shapes flit across your vision. Two flap right towards the lantern as though attacking it, although they only manage to start it swinging from side to side. It appears that they are large bats with wing spans broader than you are tall. Now you can see that perhaps sixty or seventy feet below you, in the darkness of the cavern is some sort of man-made platform. You can't see directly down due to the swinging lantern, and it isn't to the west, but there is definitely some floor to the east and what appear to be a line of pillars reflecting your lantern light.

The shrieking bats continue assaulting the lantern and with a thud one knocks it hard enough to cause it to go out. The shrieking stops, but you can see no more. Pulling the rope back up you see that the lantern has a dent and gash in the side and the oil has spilled from it, making it useless until repaired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmb
Deree: "It seems to me that those pillars might be where we'd find the best stuff. After all, the gnolls probably couldn't get there either. Maybe we can wait for dark and see if the bats come out."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Narhand can no longer stay quiet, "Look I know I'm new at this, but do we really think hanging like a worm on a hook in front of whatever beast might be down there is the best idea? I hate to think of anyone being attacked by something while in that position."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps we'll come across this room later as we explore the ruins. Lazlo chimes in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toryn pulls the rope with the dented lantern back up out of the hole and steps back from the edge, untying the rope from around his waist.

"I actually agree with Narhand on this one. The sides looked to be fairly smooth making it a nearly impossible climb. We'd have to go down by rope and would be at the mercy of anything down there until we got to the bottom. I say we continue on to the buildings."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmb
Deree refrains from muttering about his companions bravery while he pulls Toryn back up, but that doesn't stop him from imagining them with yellow stripes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You regather your supplies and stow the broken lantern. Then you continue your examination of the perimeter of this building. The northwest corner is by far the worst for biting insects as you are with yards of the edges of a stagnant swamp. You hurry on, poking and tapping at the stone work. After a good hour or so you have completed a circuit of the foundation. No new clues have been revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's go in, shall we? Lazlo jokingly says while smiling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tired and weary from the tedious examination of the structure's exterior, Nahand welcomes the idea of entering the structure in hopes that it might be a tad more cool inside. "I'm all for that, at this point."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You make your way back to the vines and carefully climb up to the platform. Approaching the steps carefully you confirm that the way is clear. Once again you begin descending the steps into darkness and towards the smell of guano. What other preparations do you wish to make, and what is your next objective?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
I say that we go to the last room that we visited and go forth from there. Lazlo readies his sword and shield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [18] |