Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
438 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [18] | 

The Caverns of Thracia» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Thracia 2012 - Chapter 2 - A Quick Return rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I certainly wouldn't mind taking watch with you." Narhand replies to Owl. He feels much better having his stomach filled with a meal. He had been a tad bit unsure about adventuring, but even after the snake scare Narhand feels adventuring might actually be enjoyable.

He certainly feels a bond developing with his fellow travelers faster than with anyone else hes shared something with previously. The hardship they face together seems to be forging a strong fellowship.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The night passes without event and you are able to make full preparations the next morning. As you ready to leave the clearing the gypsies call out and wish you well, setting up a big cheer. You make your way into the jungle.

You begin retracing your path, but recalling the swamps and large insects try to stay a bi t more westward as you go. Your aim proves true! You arrive before noon at that same wide and weed choked road. The wall of the pedestal faces you to the west. Now you are confident that on return trips you can at least find these ruins consistently.

Pausing for a moment you look for any signs of the gnolls, but all appears quiet.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit awe struck Narhand slowly walks up to the nearest wall and touches it reverently. "My what a discovery. These ruins must be hundreds if not thousands of years old. Imagine the peoples that built such a place." Narhand continues to look upon the ruins with awe. "Certainly these ruins must have been looted a thousand times over. What could we hope to find of value inside?"
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As old as the ruins are, there are new inhabitants that we need to be aware of. We did manage to bring back some old items that a local paid us handsomely for. Lazlo matter-of-factly tells Narhand.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Indeed. They may have only been bowls, but they fetched a pretty penny in town." Owl says to Narhand.

"May I suggest we do our perimeter check this time before we go in, and have one of us climb a tree to check the surface once more? There may be more of them or new ones arrived to find out what happened to the lot we dispatched."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You know that I will never be the one to volunteer to do something like climbing a tree since I am so clumsy, but will do it if necessary. Lazlo chimes in.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldris grins. "Leave that to the experts, Godsman.". He then proceeds to shimmy up the tree.

Do you need a climbing roll?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Narhand suddenly thought about his family's trophy room. A place where his forefathers had placed their most prized possessions from their days of adventuring. The thought of finding a rare and ancient artifact to add to that collection increased Narhand anticipation. No one in his family had added a trophy to that room in over a generation.

"Well knowing there are valuables to be had is certainly encouraging. I wish I had some artistic ability. I might try to capture some of these scenes for the future." Narhand lets out a soft sigh. "Ah, well. Better to stop dreaming and place mind to task." He then readies his weapon and shield and moves to take up a defensive position as Aldris climbs the tree.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit of 70 wrote:
Aldris grins. "Leave that to the experts, Godsman.". He then proceeds to shimmy up the tree.

Do you need a climbing roll?

Yes please make a climbing role, and a dexterity check if you miss your percent target.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Climb roll: 1d100 = (43) = 43

Aldris ascends the tree like a dwarf who's been told there's gold at the top!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 114393. Spirit of 70
  • 1d100 =
  • (43) =
  • 43
  • Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:28 am
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You see Aldris climb quickly up about twenty feet. He squints, looks about and then climbs higher, out of sight.

About sixty feet above the ground Aldris is able to see through the upper canopy. Directly to the west is the large platform you ascended before. The bodies of the dead golly are gone, and Aldris watches carefully for a few minutes. No sign of movement. It appears empty. The platform extends to the west about one hundred and fifty feet and is around sixty feet wide in the main, getting broader to one hundred feet for a stretch near the midpoint. It is there that the dark whole of the stairs descend.

To the northwest there appear to be two further structures. The northern one looks to be the remains of a small stone building. the other, little more than a foundation sloping down into a swamp at the west end. That swamp extend away toward the west. Otherwise the jungle presses in on these few remain structures.

A few minutes later, Aldris descends witha slight ruffle of leaves and relates what he has seen.
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You all stand around pondering Aldris' words for a time. It appears the way you had gone before is clear. Should you jump at this opportunity? Or perhaps the view of other structures suggests a more thorough above ground search. Frozen by the obvious danger of either approach you stand silently pondering. Fortunately, no creature comes upon you.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Deree breaks the silence: I think we should make sure this building is cleared first. I'd hate to be on the run from one of the other two and find a bunch of gnolls waiting for us.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooohhh! I'm thick! lol. the two new structures are separate from this one. hahah. I was thinking that you meant that they were further along on this platform...and I was wondering how we didn't see them before. heh. Duh!

Owl says to the group, "I agree, but I also think we should go all the way around this structure too in case there are any other doors. And that includes hidden ones. Then make sure the place is clear of nasties.....though I wouldn't mind a bit more Smiting time!"

Owl checks his plate is strapped on correctly and sitting comfortably on his shoulders. He places his shield on his arm and holds his hammer-staff firmly.

"Ready when you all are!" he states.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toryn tests the pull on his bow. "Ready as well. Which building should we go to first?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Deree. Let's clear out the original building. Lazlo interjects.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Only one of them is still standing. The other is little more than a foundation that is slowly sinking into the swamp. If I were sentries, I'd be hiding in the one with walls. We should probably look there, first.".
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Narhand is ready to follow the others. "I trust the group's judgement as this is my first time to these ruins."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Owl starts to walk clockwise around the base of the building, past the vines they climbed up last time and in the direction of the corner they could see on their previous visit here.

As he walks he used his staff to alternatively tap the ground and then the side wall to check for traps and doors.

Searching check: on a 1d6 1d6 = (6) = 6
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 114786. Bifford
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • on a 1d6
  • Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:36 am
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Owl sets out and the rest of you follow. The jungle is thick to the south of the building foundation and your progress is slowed as you push back vines and thickets to clear yourselves a path around the base. After about twenty minutes you reach the southwest corner of the structure. There you see what appears to be a sinkhole, perhaps five feet in diameter about ten feet west and five feet south of the corner of the building. The biting insects from the swamp to the north are getting a bit thicker here as well and the jungle continues to buzz around you as the sun reaches high noon.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldris frowns at the sinkhole. "Let's stay well out of there. It's tricky getting back up, and I doubt there's aught down there but bones and filth."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldis makes good sense but Toryn's adventurous nature is too strong to resist,

"I want to have a look inside. I'll crawl over to the edge and look in. Can someone tie a rope around my waist in case the edge of the sinkhole gives way?"
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Deree will quickly tie a rope around Aldis' waist, then loop it around a couple of trees to help with the belaying process. He'll end up holding the rope with his feet braced against a tree.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Deree approaches Aldris with the rope, but he shakes his head and points to Toryn. The elf gratefully accepts the assistance and ties the rope about his waste. Then Deree, again proving his strength despite his small stature, curls up at the base of a nearby tree and slowly lets out rope to allow Toryn to approach the hole.

Toryn, you see that the hole drops away into utter blackness. It appears this is no simple sinkhole, but about ten feet down it opens into some sort of cavern. Up here in the bright sun your eyes are unable to make out any details, just pure darkness below.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Narhand slaps his neck for the hundredth time. The insects were becoming unbearable and his armor was beginning to feel very heavy. He hadn't considered how uncomfortable adventuring might be. He was realizing this was likely going to be a long arduous task and would require more fortitude than just gutting monsters and other foul creatures. He'd have to fortify himself against the elements, his own desire to be comfortable, and tedium.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [18] |