Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
438 Posts
[1]  Prev «  14 , 15 , 16 , 17 , 18  | 

The Caverns of Thracia» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Thracia 2012 - Chapter 2 - A Quick Return rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arvan is still alive, despite the chaos. What is the plan from here?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Arvan catches his breath for a few minutes and thanks his lucky stars to be alive at all. His plan now is to escape. He waits in the darkness for the sounds of the bats to calm, figuring that will mean the fire is out. He'll try to clean his wounds, using whatever he can find that seems clean.

Mostly, he's listening to see if it's safe to make a break for it. Once he thinks it is, he'll carefully open the secret door and look out. Based on the gnolls arriving at the stairs so quickly, he's certain that will take him back to the stairs and perhaps avoid the gnolls. He expects them to come busting through the normal door at any minute.

As he thinks about it, he decides to sit next to the secret door. He'll feel around in the dark for a rope. belts, harnesses, bandoliers, anything he can use to rig a line that might let him open the centipede door from where he sits. Should the gnolls enter, he plans to release the centipedes and flee out the secret door.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Feeling around in the dark you find the bodies of two slain lizard men and the string of centipedes they had collected. The centipedes were strong onto a strong hemp rope which you carefully pull free. It is about twenty feet long and quite sturdy. You aren't sure if that is quite long enough to reach the door on the other side of the dais, and start wondering if you should strip the rough tunics from the lizardmen as well.

As you are doing this you notice the stone door you entered is starting to get warmer. The barest glimmer of a soft red glow squeezes into your room. Not enough to see by, but there is no doubt that the guano has ignited into a furnace beyond.

Time is hard to track here, but you are sure it has been several minutes, perhaps longer and the warmth from the door only increases. You make your way to sit by the secret door and collect your wits. Then you realize that while you entered through and closed the portal, you never actually saw where it was operated. In the pitch black it will be even more difficult to spot the mechanism, but you could always try simply pushing, pulling and prodding everything in the vicinity convinced that something must operate it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Arvan strips the tunics of the lizard men and jams them under the door to help prevent smoke coming in and the light of his torch going out.

Is the secret door getting warm?

Tt seems unlikely he'd be spotted right now, so he fumbles in his pack to find his tinderbox and a torch. Fearing the worst, he lights one of the torches and finds the way to operate the secret door, then explores the rest of the room for valuables or perhaps another way out.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arvan jams the tunics under the heavy stone door, which is indeed getting rather warm. Lighting his torch he can see more clearly the room. The end with the stone door is a flat stone wall, the opposite end is a half circle of carved panels. Within the center panel he discovers a small lever which is likely the latch to open the secret door. The secret door is cool to the touch, as are the other stone panels. This end of the room is filled with rubble on the floor, most of it in quite small pieces. There are two dead lizard men, and the remains of several centipedes, some half eaten, a pair of heavy clubs and two heavy iron darts lie next to the lizard men. There are no other apparent valuables.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Arvan uses the torchlight to set up his centipede door right. He cuts off a few small pieces of lizardman and puts them on the floor near the centipede door. He's hoping the smell will keep the centipedes near the entrance and perhaps buy him a few seconds when the door opens. He puts the torch at the far end of the room then listens at the secret door before opening it.

If the coast seems clear, he'll sneak down the passageway to make sure he can use it to get to the stairs and to see how the fire and bats are progressing.

Hear noise 1d6 = (1) = 1

Move quietly 1d100 = (99) = 99

Really should not have worn bells
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 126458. sdonohue
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • 1
  • Hear noise
  • Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:22 am
  • [+]
  • 126459. sdonohue
  • 1d100 =
  • (99) =
  • 99
  • Move quietly
  • Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:22 am
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The centipede door is on the other side of the flaming guano, behind the now toasty warm stone door in your room. You prepare some bits of lizard man, but can still hear the fire burning on the other side, so don't dare open the stone door to get closer to the centipede room

The other side of the secret door sounds quiet, so you risk opening it. The hall beyond appears quite silent and abandoned. To the left is the way you came back towards the surface as you fled. To the right should be the winding passage back to the entry chamber. You can hear sounds of fire snapping and crackling in that direction. There is also a pair of closed doors at the turn in the passage to your right.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Arvan uses a piece of rubble to make sure the secret door won't close behind him, picks up his gear and moves towards the stairs out. I want to see if the stairs are safe to try now or if the fire and bats still make it a problem.

If I can get to the stairs I will pause to listen very carefully for any barking gnolls.

Is it safe to assume the bodies and any valuables they were carrying are incinerated?

Listen check 1d6 = (3) = 3
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 126466. sdonohue
  • 1d6 =
  • (3) =
  • 3
  • Listen check
  • Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:54 am
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You follow the passage to the right, after turning two corners you see a slight glow and after turning two more you realize you don't need your torch anymore. Here the walls are covered with chipping plaster. You finally come to the last corner to the right where you can see and feel the heat of the guano fire thirty feet ahead of you. The fire is still raging. Based on what you see it could be some time, at least an hour or more, before it burns out. Even then who knows how hot the stones and stairs will be?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Arvan retreats back to the secret door, trying not to leave any signs of his passage as he closes the door behind him.

He strips the lizard men of their clothing and wads them up to make extra soles for his shoes. He pees on them to get them wet, then extinguishes his torch before falling into a nightmare-filled slumber. There is no point in not trying to sleep when he can't do anything else.

After waking up for the fifth or sixth time, he goes to check the hot door again, listening to see if the commotion outside has settled at all. If it has, he lights his torch and repeats the earlier process, listening at the secret door first. If it seems clear, he ties the extra pads to his boots with cord and tries again.

Listen at hot door 1d6 = (5) = 5

Listen at secret door 1d6 = (3) = 3

Sneaking with padded shoes and no bells (I hope) d100 = (73) = 73
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 126474. sdonohue
  • 1d6 =
  • (5) =
  • 5
  • Listen at hot door
  • Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:32 am
  • [+]
  • 126475. sdonohue
  • 1d6 =
  • (3) =
  • 3
  • Listen at secret door
  • Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:32 am
  • [+]
  • 126476. sdonohue
  • d100 =
  • (73) =
  • 73
  • Sneaking with padded shoes and no bells (I hope)
  • Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:32 am
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You sleep fitfully and finally awake to total silence. Hearing nothing at either door you again emerge from the secret portal. You make your way again down the passageway and emerge in a warm, charred chamber. All signs of the bats are gone, with only a thick layer of sticky char on the ground remaining. The remains of the gnoll and adventurers are also mostly gone, with only slight lumps in the floor and at the base of the stairs to suggest where they once were.

Looking up the stairs you can see a smoke blackened ceiling to the stairway now. The sky beyond is beginning to dim. You realize that a few hours must have passed. Creeping forward carefully you climb the steps, emerging into the dampness of the late afternoon jungle. It is only then that you realize how dry and dessicated you have felt after the fire and all the blood loss.

You notice that the remains of the gnoll and your slain comrades have been moved, but there is no sign of the two remaining gnolls you had fought. With stiff limbs you descend the side of the terrace and make your way southward into the darkening jungle.

Night has already fallen before you stumble into the clearing near the statue of Kadmos. You collapse at the protector's feet, at first not believe you have really survived. It is only when some encamped travelers approach you slowly with fire brands raised that you regain your composure enough to show you are a man despite the hideous appearance. They take pity on you and tend to your wounds, help you bathe and feed you. You remain a few days, but soon are ready to travel back to town. Next time you will not enter the caverns alone!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Was I able to scavenge any money or equipment on my way out?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, no. Whatever was in the fire was destroyed, and whatever may have been outside was gone by the time you emerged.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  14 , 15 , 16 , 17 , 18  |