The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Star Crossed
Art and Arcana: A Visual History
OSR Solo
Disciples of Bone & Shadow: Core Rules
Run Faster
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Ticket of Leave #14: Hark, Now Hear the Sailors Cry
Ironsworn
D&D Essentials Kit
Beamswords and Bazookas
Ninth World Bestiary 3
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
The Engagement of Adelaide Endicott
Spookshow
Domains of Dread
HR5: The Glory of Rome Campaign Sourcebook
The Adventurer's Toolkit
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Shadows of a Black Sun
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Numenera: Starter Set
The Wizard's Scroll (Issue 1)
Amazing Tales
Thousand Year Old Vampire
100 Books to Find on a Pugmire Bookshelf
The Sunken Village of Little Corth
MH-13: Decades: One-Shot Adventures
Highfell
Escape from the Coven of the Setting Sun
GMaid
Through Ultan's Door (Issue 2 - Jun 19)
MHHA-3: Infinity Warriors
Blightburg
Players Handbook (AD&D 1e)
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Monster Manual (AD&D 1e)
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 4e)
Forgotten Realms Player's Guide
Fiend Folio
Arcane Power
The Enemy Within Campaign Volume 1: Shadows Over Bögenhafen
Manual of the Planes
Angmar: Land of the Witch King
Call of Cthulhu (6th Edition)
Dread
Wilderness Survival Guide
Deities & Demigods
Greyhawk Adventures
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the first In Character thread for the “Dark Forest” game – this will follow the story of our heroes through the first chapter, The Mortal Hunt.

This thread should contain in-character discussion and actions. Short out-of-character commentary is okay too, as are rules questions or game rules. However, please mark such OOC discussion with gray text; you can do this by surrounding your text with [color = gray][/ color], leaving out the spaces. Longer OOC commentary, questions, or concerns should be raised in the Out Of Character thread.

I recommend marking your character dialog with boldface or a special color (or both). Bold text can be marked with [ b ][/ b ] (again without the spaces). If you would like to include your character’s thoughts or other internal monologue information, you can use a different typeface as well (like italics – from [ i ][/ i ] – but not I’ll be using that for other effects, as well as emphasis).

I also recommend thumbing posts as you either read or respond to them – I’m not thumb-trawling, but it helps me to determine who is present and who is ready to proceed.

Finally, I should have pointed everyone to this earlier, but for those of you new to PbF games, you can check out Some Tips on Having Great Play-By-Forum Games (by yours truly).

Without further ado – let The Mortal Hunt begin!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The soporific drugs wear off just as sunlight strikes your eyes. Dew-covered, clad only in rags, you awaken hanging upside-down, one foot suspended from a thick knotted rope attached to a thick branch.

Around the clearing, four others are similarly suspended, the ground just beyond their reach. All the others appear to be waking as soon as a ray of sun strikes them. One man’s hands fly to his neck, and he sighs audibly as he pulls a knotted cord with two metal discs around. Another searches himself to no avail, until he cranes his neck downward to see a partially-defaced holy symbol lying on a broken chain below him. A fit woman with short blond hair hangs next to him, and on her other side is a strange looking creature – a hairless man with gray skin and black nails. On his left hangs another strange man, looking tanned and autumnal even though this is early spring.

A knife affixes a parchment to a tree bole - conveniently hung upside down so that the lone woman amongst you can read it. (I’m going to assume you’ll read it to everyone, so in the interests of expediency here is the text.)

“Mortals, the deathless lords of Valach do you the honor of hunting you for their amusement and their table. Your only salvation lies to the east – the Greshay coaching inn. If you reach it before four days pass, your belongings will be returned to you, and you will be granted free passage through Walker’s Wood. Laggards will be shown no such mercy. Flee or fight – we demand only to be entertained.”

Everybody please give me a Perception check! You can click the “Add a Roll” link at the bottom of this message to use the die roller. Since none of your characters know each other, I'll also give you a chance to introduce yourselves.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Janeka wakes up. She is angry at herself for letting herself be caught in such a manner.

Where is that guy with the black hair and grey skin? If she ever gets her hands on him.....

This pleasant note surely is his.


She is trying to get loose. Hanging around is no option.

"I don't know about you all, but I don't want to stay here. The idea I am here to serve as amusement is not to my liking, but I have no intention to be killed either.

Perception check 1d20 = (18) = 18


10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 111104. Narl
  • 1d20 =
  • (18) =
  • 18
  • Perception check
  • Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:18 pm
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Asuren glances around at the others, mildly curious. He could see why someone might want to have some sport hunting him, but what was so special about these folk?

Perception 1d20+2 = (19) + 2 = 21

"First thing is to get down from here..." he says mostly to himself.

He reaches his hand upward, palm out and fingers contorted, and mutters ફ્રોસ્ટ ના રે . A chill wind rushes out, swirling around the rope until it is covered in frost.

Ray of Frost: Touch Attack 1d20+2 = (3) + 2 = 5
Damage 1d3 = (2) = 2

Half damage to objects, so a second blast: Touch attack 1d20+2 = (1) + 2 = 3
damage 1d3 = (2) = 2


He seems to get a bit frustrated, as his first blast starts him swinging, so that he misses. He grimaces, tries to steady himself, and focuses on releasing the magic contained within.

full round action touch attack d20+2+5 = (9) + 2 + 5 = 16
damage 1d3 = (2) = 2

When it is sufficiently brittle, he yanks his leg forward, snapping it, then tries to land somewhat gracefully.

Acrobatics (to break fall) 1d20+2 = (20) + 2 = 22
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 111105. anoirtrou
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (19) + 2 =
  • 21
  • Perception
  • Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:22 pm
  • [+]
  • 111106. anoirtrou
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (3) + 2 =
  • 5
  • Touch Attack
  • Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:29 pm
  • [+]
  • 111107. anoirtrou
  • 1d3 =
  • (2) =
  • 2
  • Damage
  • Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:29 pm
  • [+]
  • 111109. anoirtrou
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (20) + 2 =
  • 22
  • Acrobatics (to break fall)
  • Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:31 pm
  • [+]
  • 111111. anoirtrou
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (1) + 2 =
  • 3
  • Touch attack
  • Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:34 pm
  • [+]
  • 111112. anoirtrou
  • 1d3 =
  • (2) =
  • 2
  • damage
  • Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:34 pm
  • [+]
  • 111116. anoirtrou
  • d20+2+5 =
  • (9) + 2 + 5 =
  • 16
  • full round action touch attack
  • Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:37 pm
  • [+]
  • 111119. anoirtrou
  • 1d3 =
  • (2) =
  • 2
  • damage
  • Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:37 pm
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Firrion opens his eyes, and immediately understands that something is deeply wrong, despite the grogginess in his head. He immediately reaches for his talismans. Holding them gives him a small measure of reassurance. Looking around he notices he his not alone, as he hears a woman's voice telling them what their situation is. 'Game... that's what we are then.'he thinks. He tries to adjust his eyes to understand how easy will be to get back to have his feet on the ground.

Perception 1d20+1 = (9) + 1 = 10
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 111288. jmlima
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (9) + 1 =
  • 10
  • Perception
  • Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:05 pm
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why she first read the text out loud she doesn't know, maybe still an effect from the sedation, but she is trying to get hold of the rope and getting out of this uncomfortable position.

Escape artist 1d20+4 = (12) + 4 = 16
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 111397. Narl
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (12) + 4 =
  • 16
  • Escape artist
  • Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:25 pm
David van Dijk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elior wakes up. Immediately, he starts to undo his bindings.

Escape Artist 1d20+8 = (12) + 8 = 20

Who are the deathless lords of Valach? And how on Midgard did we get here?


Knowledge (religion)1d20+8 = (12) + 8 = 20
Knowledge (local) 1d20+7 = (7) + 7 = 14
Perception 1d20+5 = (17) + 5 = 22
Survival 1d20+1 = (9) + 1 = 10 to look for tracks.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 111379. the_david
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (12) + 8 =
  • 20
  • Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:10 pm
  • [+]
  • 111383. the_david
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (12) + 8 =
  • 20
  • Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:15 pm
  • [+]
  • 111384. the_david
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (7) + 7 =
  • 14
  • Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:15 pm
  • [+]
  • 111395. the_david
  • 1d20+5 =
  • (17) + 5 =
  • 22
  • Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:24 pm
  • [+]
  • 111396. the_david
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (9) + 1 =
  • 10
  • Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:24 pm
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Asuren spends several moments freezing the ropes binding him, his tongue thick and fuzzy as he speaks the words of arcane power, but he tumbles to the ground surprisingly gracefully.

Elior also manages to free himself without too much trouble, quickly undoing the knotted ropes and lowering himself to the ground.

Janeka can't quite get purchase on her own ropes. Elior and Asuren could help her reach (though they cannot themselves). Or, the knife is within her reach after an easy swing.

As you lower yourselves, you hear a strange chittering and turn to see a skeletal rat (and I mean that literally) scurry off into the woods. It occurs to Asuren that the forest was completely still and quiet before that, which is strange for the Margreve.

The sight of the strange skeletal creature reminds Elior of where he has heard the word Valach before - it is a keep north of the Margreve, the southernmost extension of the Principalities of Morgau and Doresh, twin realms north of the Margreve (though you believe they claim some of the Margreve for themselves, calling it Walker's Wood, few recognize their claim).

Morgau and Doresh are feared by nearly everyone - for their rulers are undead, vampires, intelligent ghouls, and worse.

Elior sees no tracks on the ground.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Asuren curses himself as he rushes over to where the rat disappeared, trying to catch sight of it. He should have seen the creature sooner, if only he hadn't been so groggy! His hand is raised and glowing with a pure golden light, ready to cast the fury of the sun upon the unclean thing.

Perception 1d20+2 = (12) + 2 = 14
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 111558. anoirtrou
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (12) + 2 =
  • 14
  • Perception
  • Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:23 am
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few swings Janeka is able to get hold of the knife and get to the ground. As one of the men was still dangling from a rope, she cuts it through. She keeps the knife in her hand, ready to stab any creature coming too close. The parchment is almost laughing in her face.

"So, we are brought together for a sordid reason, amusement. Well I, Janeka, have no death wish. I guess I will be heading east. Anyone else?"

Perception 1d20 = (7) = 7

Edit:typo

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 111574. Narl
  • 1d20 =
  • (7) =
  • 7
  • Perception
  • Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:14 am
Erik Surber
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
The sedative had a more noticeable effect on Hagan as he slower than the others to respond to his predicament. Still groggy and not altogether pleased to be a captive, Hagan falls clumsily to the ground as the rope binding him is cut. I thank you. Janeka, you said? I am Hagan. And I loathe being tied up. I suggest for our benefit we stay together until we reach safety. Dusting himself off, he grabs the filthy animal claw that lay on the ground. Discarding the broken chain he begins a hopeless search for his other belongings.
Perception 9
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Dijk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Elior, and I think that we shouldn't head east. It's probable that those deathless lords will set up some kind of ambush, or they might just come from the north or west. It might just be easier to lose them by going south. Elior looked at Janeka's knife. So you're just gonna take the only weapon we've got? Well, I guess one of us should take it. It won't do us any good stuck in that tree.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Asuren hurries over to the skeletal creature's vantage point, but he sees no sign of it in the thick undergrowth surrounding the clearing.

Hagan retrieves the claw - noticing that, beyond the chain, the claw itself is chipped and battered. When he picks it up, a jolt of bone-chilling absence shoots through his arm, but it subsides almost as quickly as it appeared.

FYI, you are all considered rested, so Asuren has his spells back and Hagan can memorize new ones. Hagan's holy symbol is damaged but serviceable...at least, you think it is.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Firrion falls with a thud. He gets up quickly and sharply looking around fir any signs that they were being chased, or overlooked by anyone. He looks at his companions of misfortune, and finally introduces himself 'I'm Firrion.'

He then tries to remember if he knows where this inn is and the lay of the land around it...

Know - Geography 1d20+6 = (6) + 6 = 12
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 111848. jmlima
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (6) + 6 =
  • 12
  • Know - Geography
  • Thu Mar 1, 2012 1:15 pm
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Asuren turns back towards the group. "My name is Asuren. I agree we should stay together. As for direction..."

He looks around to see if he recognizes any landmarks, and reaches out to his connection with the ancient forest to orient himself.

Survival 1d20+7 = (6) + 7 = 13
if his bonus for not becoming lost in the Margreve counts, add another +4 to the total
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 111887. anoirtrou
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (6) + 7 =
  • 13
  • Survival
  • Thu Mar 1, 2012 4:26 pm
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Firrion has little idea of the proper direction, but Asuren deduces that the group is, in fact, in the outskirts of the northern Margreve, and he notes an old game trail leading off to the east - there are no signs of recent use.

There are essentially three "layers" to the Margreve: the outskirts, which are more or less a creepy old forest; the main forest, which is a bit like Mirkwood - dark and dire, and completely uninhabited by "civilization" - and the Heart, which is regarded as an alien and extremely dangerous place. Cutting through the center is the Great Northern Road, with a string of coaching inns for travelers. It is hardly viewed as a safe road, but the area around it is at least passable. So actually there are two Hearts - one east and one west of the road.

Which way, heroes?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Still feeling a bit lost, Firrion suggests:

'Instead of venturing head on into the unknown, maybe following that trail is not a bad idea...'
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Dijk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eliot looks irritated.
That's a great idea Firrion. They sure won't find us if we just follow that obvious trail!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Firrion, was it? Why don't you lead, taking a south-easterly course through the forest, and I will follow along behind to try to conceal our trail? We should get going, that thing has doubtless alerted the hunters that we are free."

Asuren will start laying a false trail heading a short ways down the trail, then come back to the clearing and try to disguise which way the group heads, once they have come to a decision.

Survival (conceal trail) 1d20+7 = (13) + 7 = 20
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 112220. anoirtrou
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (13) + 7 =
  • 20
  • Survival (conceal trail)
  • Fri Mar 2, 2012 5:51 pm
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Janeka is slightly annoyed with Elior his reaction but lets it slide for now.

"I will come along Firrion, maybe I can find my family too, I am sure they have been lured here as well."

Stealth 1d20+5 = (1) + 5 = 6

Edit: forgot to roll
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 112900. Narl
  • 1d20+5 =
  • (1) + 5 =
  • 6
  • Stealth
  • Mon Mar 5, 2012 8:35 am
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
'Right, if we are all ready, it's better not to waste any more time. I have a feeling we will need all the time we can get.'

Firrion started down the track, being particularly careful to avoid any potential traps, whilst keeping his senses open for any signs of enemies or activity on their sides and front.

survival 1d20+5 = (2) + 5 = 7
stealth 1d20+5 = (2) + 5 = 7

OOC - with these kind of rolls, my career will be short and end swiftly...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 112804. jmlima
  • 1d20+5 =
  • (2) + 5 =
  • 7
  • survival
  • Sun Mar 4, 2012 7:18 pm
  • [+]
  • 112805. jmlima
  • 1d20+5 =
  • (2) + 5 =
  • 7
  • stealth
  • Sun Mar 4, 2012 7:18 pm
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Firrion marches off down the track....

I'm back! Who follows him? I'll also need a marching order. I'll generally assume you can go in ranks of 2. It looks like Firrion is in front, Asuren in the back - what about the rest of you?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping the knife at hand, Janeka catches the lead with Firrion.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Dijk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elior follows, behind Janeka.

Stealth 1d20+10 = (5) + 10 = 15
Perception 1d20+5 = (11) + 5 = 16
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 112897. the_david
  • 1d20+10 =
  • (5) + 10 =
  • 15
  • Mon Mar 5, 2012 8:30 am
  • [+]
  • 112898. the_david
  • 1d20+5 =
  • (11) + 5 =
  • 16
  • Mon Mar 5, 2012 8:30 am
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Asuren stares at the group marching blithely down the path like lemmings to their doom, after he just told them it would be safer heading through the forest. He then follows after them, trying to cover their tracks or at least confuse the trail so it will be almost impossible to tell which way the group headed, all the while grumbling.

"Of course, just head down the convenient trail, pay no attention to the freak! No one listens to me, until they get hurt...


Survival (conceal trail) 1d20+7 = (8) + 7 = 15
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 112960. anoirtrou
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (8) + 7 =
  • 15
  • Survival (conceal trail)
  • Mon Mar 5, 2012 4:57 pm
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [48] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.