Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
95 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Apocalypse World» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Inside Out IC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eli the Wombat
msg tools
Avatar
THIS IS OUR IN CHARACTER THREAD!

The OOC thread is here.

I'll start with some questions, then we'll ease into a day in the life.

Edit: Oh ya, Vincent suggests I just say this outright to you guys: “your setup’s easy
and now you've already done it. Mine's harder so I'm going to take this whole session to do it. So no high-tension kick off from me, let's follow the characters around for a day and get to know them. Cool?”

There, done.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli the Wombat
msg tools
Avatar
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
MC

Uncle. The prison, your castle, whatever you call it- what's it to you? You've built your holding through blood and sweat, but why? I know it's none of my business, but there must be a point where you just want to say fuck it, grab some shit, and hit the road. know what I mean?
Regardless, life in the hardhold sounds pretty decent, considering. Do you ever have problems with greedy neighbors? After all, there must be something out there, something beyond those concrete walls.

Gabe: "Recent coup", "brutal purge", sounds like the Uncle's gone through some shit recently. Where do you stand in all this? I know that you're close to giving up, definitely closer than Uncle. It's understandable- you've worked and worked, but have you really made anything better?
Also: There's a girl that keeps showing up in your dreams. Describe her to me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli the Wombat
msg tools
Avatar
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
MC

Uncle- So shit, Mo is dead? So is that like, a recent thing? Before or after Pepsi tried to screw with you? Sucks man. Good luck finding a replacement. That man did a lot for you, and these days it's getting harder and harder to know who to trust.

Wolf buddy, what am I going to do with you? You're kind of the odd one out here- the lone wolf, if you don't mind me saying. How do you fit in, what's your stake in this mad little community? What's your position now, and how do you want to see that position change?

I'm waiting on Hx before i ask more about Wolf and Valery.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
Hit the road? Have you looked at it out there? Walls was a graveyard when I found it, and I made it into a fucking home. Not just for me, but for everyone around. Maestro'D don't have Walls, she don't have shit, right? Driver's got to park sometime, got to have someplace to take a piss and stretch his legs, yeah? This is that place. It's mine, but it's for all of us.

So walk softly, yeah? Keep our peace and keep your privs. Respect where it's due. Fuck with me and mine, brother, and you'll be outside Walls. Or under.

As far as greedy neighbors, yeah, shit yeah. Some people can't see something isn't theirs and still see it's good. We get raiders all the time. Mostly, Walls keeps them out. Good fucking luck getting over, under or through. But betrayal grows inside, that's the lesson Pepsi taught me, and I won't forget it soon.

Yeah, Mo is dead. He was with me almost from the start and then it turns out he was Pepsi's man, goddamit. Pepsi made him all sorts of promises...I was sorry to do it. I could almost understand. But Walls stays up because every brick stays in place, yeah? Can't have every block be on top, the bottom holds it up and everyone knows and everyone is grateful. I gave Mo what he was due, and he gave me a razorblade handshake. Killing him was probably the hardest thing I've ever done.

But that shit's done, yeah? Coup failed, purge complete. We're breathing again and dealing and singing and fucking. Walls is the strongest place around, is one of the only places worth the word. So people will come. People will join. I'll find people to trust. Maybe not so much, and maybe not so fast, but Walls needs people, so...yeah.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
One day I fix Parcher's broken wrist, and two weeks later he's lying in the infirmary as I try to stuff his guts back in. He's been slashed by Sun and her wicked knives, part of some internal struggle with Uncle's crew I've tried to stay out of. And as Parcher breathes his last and I'm sure no one is looking I slump for just one moment, like - what's the fucking point?

I can't give up. More importantly I can't let Kettle and Corbett see I'm giving up. Because they need to learn and keep going. They need to think things can get better. They need to think that for me. So I try to help whoever's brought in, be they for Uncle or against him. It's the only thing I can do.

Thing is, the more I think about giving it all up the more I'm having this dream. There's a girl, young, younger than Kettle, and she wears some sort of blue flower in her hair. The rest of the dream it's all faded out or black and white or some shit, but the flower is blue. And I follow her somewhere but I always wake up before I find out where. Weird shit, I know.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli the Wombat
msg tools
Avatar
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
MC

So Valery, explain me this- how is it that one of the prettiest girls this side of everything got it in her head to go after Uncle? Maybe not "go after", but I've seen how you fancy him. He's scarred and callused, never that good looking in the first place, but it seems you flirt and tease like nothin else. Why? How does he usually respond?
Maybe I shouldn't be surprised though, after all, you are the woman of mystery. Shadows and luxury and a cage. A cage? I don't think anyone else sees it that way. What's that about?
Uncle took a pretty big hit from Pepsi, which puts your crew and Uncle's gang at pretty similar numbers. With a bit of training and better weapons, you could possibly swing a takeover. Any comment on that?
Also, what's your place named?

Wolf- woh there, I have to ask. Uncle left you for dead? Is this the thing with Pepsi, or before that? I know you're pissed, but are you going to do something about it? Does Uncle even realize what he did?

Not sure if everyone has picked up on Pepsi yet- he betrayed Uncle not to long ago, but the coup failed. J put it in the wiki.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
I happened on Uncle's compound as I was traveling. This was some time ago. I found a spot where I could put my services to use and earn a place to hole up. So I stuck around, doing things people asked me to do as long as they offered enough incentive. I noticed the split forming in Uncle's group, but fortunately I had always done a pretty good job of remaining independent. Unfortunately not everyone trusts a lone wolf and it seems Uncle's paranoia got the better of him. Just cause I didn't align myself with him, he assumed I was with Pepsi. Tried to have me taken out when he moved on Pepsi and his guys. Thought he got me too, but I'm pretty stubborn and refused to die.

Luckily Gabe found me and since the two of us have some history he patched me up quietly. Though Uncle's compound is a tight environment, there are still places within to hole up and hide. Gabe kept me hidden until I was on my feet again. Now I'm pissed. I don't like being attacked. But worse than that, I feel wronged. Always been a weakness of mine. I feel someone has wronged me, I have to pay it back and nothing is going to stop be until I do. Uncle got what he wanted. He wanted me to choose a side. Well I'm not independent anymore. I'm going to pay the bastard back or go down trying.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
esoteric_wombat wrote:
So Valery, explain me this- how is it that one of the prettiest girls this side of everything got it in her head to go after Uncle? Maybe not "go after", but I've seen how you fancy him. He's scarred and callused, never that good looking in the first place, but it seems you flirt and tease like nothin else. Why? How does he usually respond?
Maybe I shouldn't be surprised though, after all, you are the woman of mystery. Shadows and luxury and a cage. A cage? I don't think anyone else sees it that way. What's that about?
Uncle took a pretty big hit from Pepsi, which puts your crew and Uncle's gang at pretty similar numbers. With a bit of training and better weapons, you could possibly swing a takeover. Any comment on that?
Also, what's your place named?

Hey look, I may look like a cute innocent girly girl, but make no mistakes, I've been around long enough to know how this fucked up world works, and I prefer to keep a man like Uncle on my side. He's still better lookin' than most of the other scumbags out there, and besides, he's got authority, which is as good as any other drug. And how does he like it? I dunno, he acts like he doesn't care, but he's still a man isn't he?

And if you're talking about a takeover on Uncle's holding, I've played with that notion before, in the past. But I dunno, you can still see the stain that used to be Pepsi, and with Uncle's gang about, my own crew is less likely to attract attention. Why paint a bullseye on my back, right?

As for my place, it's called Ragnarok, which I've been told means the end of the world in a language from some time 'before'. And the cage, well, put a bunch of nasty fuckers in a place, and they want some entertainment right? Shan and my other dancers provide that entertainment, and let's just say they can appreciate what the cage provides.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli the Wombat
msg tools
Avatar
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
MC
Wolf

cardician wrote:
But worse than that, I feel wronged. Always been a weakness of mine. I feel someone has wronged me, I have to pay it back and nothing is going to stop be until I do. Uncle got what he wanted. He wanted me to choose a side. Well I'm not independent anymore. I'm going to pay the bastard back or go down trying.
So here's the deal- you were injured, Gabe patched you up, you're lying low, you're pissed at Uncle. But somethings is still keeping you back. Maybe it's just that he's too well defended, maybe you want him to know first what you think of him, or maybe it's the dreams some nights that have you waking up shaking and sweat sick. What's up with that?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
esoteric_wombat wrote:
So here's the deal- you were injured, Gabe patched you up, you're lying low, you're pissed at Uncle. But somethings is still keeping you back. Maybe it's just that he's too well defended, maybe you want him to know first what you think of him, or maybe it's the dreams some nights that have you waking up shaking and sweat sick. What's up with that?

That's right. I haven't made my move yet. It has nothing to do with his protection. I'm not scared of being outnumbered, and his guys don't have the same skills as me. They might be big and tough, but they're soft. They haven't lived life on the outside like I have. I've been out there, I've experienced things these guys only see in nightmares. They've spent their most of their lives behind the protection of these walls. No, I'm not holding off because of them.

First, I'm still working through a little remaining tenderness. I don't want anything distracting me when I unleash my fury on Uncle.

Second, I don't know. There's just something about this whole situation that feels off. Feels like it isn't time to make my move yet. I don't talk about it but sometimes I do have pretty vivid dreams. It's hard to remember them afterwards but I feel like they're sort of showing me my path, leading me into the future. Recently they've been really intense. I wake up each night sweating and breathing hard, but damnit if I can't remember what they're about. Still, something about the situation leaves me feeling that the time isn't quite right to make my move. So I'll hold off for a bit. Bide my time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli the Wombat
msg tools
Avatar
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
MC
Uncle

jkottler wrote:
Hit the road? Have you looked at it out there? Walls was a graveyard when I found it, and I made it into a fucking home. Not just for me, but for everyone around. Maestro'D don't have Walls, she don't have shit, right? Driver's got to park sometime, got to have someplace to take a piss and stretch his legs, yeah? This is that place. It's mine, but it's for all of us.

So walk softly, yeah? Keep our peace and keep your privs. Respect where it's due. Fuck with me and mine, brother, and you'll be outside Walls. Or under.

As far as greedy neighbors, yeah, shit yeah. Some people can't see something isn't theirs and still see it's good. We get raiders all the time. Mostly, Walls keeps them out. Good fucking luck getting over, under or through. But betrayal grows inside, that's the lesson Pepsi taught me, and I won't forget it soon.

Yeah, Mo is dead. He was with me almost from the start and then it turns out he was Pepsi's man, goddamit. Pepsi made him all sorts of promises...I was sorry to do it. I could almost understand. But Walls stays up because every brick stays in place, yeah? Can't have every block be on top, the bottom holds it up and everyone knows and everyone is grateful. I gave Mo what he was due, and he gave me a razorblade handshake. Killing him was probably the hardest thing I've ever done.

But that shit's done, yeah? Coup failed, purge complete. We're breathing again and dealing and singing and fucking. Walls is the strongest place around, is one of the only places worth the word. So people will come. People will join. I'll find people to trust. Maybe not so much, and maybe not so fast, but Walls needs people, so...yeah.
Sucks man, you've got your work cut out for you.
I still want to know more about Walls though, the physical location. The main building is the prison complex, but is the whole holding inside the prison? Does anyone farm or live outside the walls, or is it like, I don't know, all the fresh eats are grown on the rooftops? How do you become a citizen of walls? Say you have some refuges, on what grounds do you accept them? Is there like an oath or anything?

Prim has been making the moves on you, but you've noticed Wisher's got his eyes set on that girl like nothing else. Some men never learn.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli the Wombat
msg tools
Avatar
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
MC
Gabe

Scrowe wrote:
I can't give up. More importantly I can't let Kettle and Corbett see I'm giving up. Because they need to learn and keep going. They need to think things can get better. They need to think that for me. So I try to help whoever's brought in, be they for Uncle or against him. It's the only thing I can do.
So what's Kettle to you? I know she never had a real father worth shit, but how close are you to Kettle and her sister, really? Does she have any other family? Ever told her about your dreams?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli the Wombat
msg tools
Avatar
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
MC
Valery

Bearpaw wrote:
As for my place, it's called Ragnarok, which I've been told means the end of the world in a language from some time 'before'.
And now Millions wants the Ragnarok gone. What'd you do to piss off that fucker?
I've also been meaning to ask about Gams. Don't know what I want to ask, just give a quick description. He's still got a pretty big favor out on you, hope he's not the kind of guy that decides to collect at exactly the wrong time...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli the Wombat
msg tools
Avatar
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
MC
Wolf

cardician wrote:
They might be big and tough, but they're soft. They haven't lived life on the outside like I have. I've been out there, I've experienced things these guys only see in nightmares. They've spent most of their lives behind the protection of these walls. No, I'm not holding off because of them.
People say some pretty crazy things about life outside, I don't blame you for taking a break in relative comfort.
But no really, is it all true out there? Is it true what they say about the ghosts of twisted souls? Is it true about what happens to those who walk through the bone gardens alone at night, or don't bring an offering? Is it true that the inhumins lie in ambush, but that they only eath the flesh of babies, leaving the rest to their giant dogs?
Because damn, I'm glad to live on the inside.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
esoteric_wombat wrote:
MC
People say some pretty crazy things about life outside, I don't blame you for taking a break in relative comfort.
But no really, is it all true out there? Is it true what they say about the ghosts of twisted souls? Is it true about what happens to those who walk through the bone gardens alone at night, or don't bring an offering? Is it true that the inhumins lie in ambush, but that they only eath the flesh of babies, leaving the rest to their giant dogs?
Because damn, I'm glad to live on the inside.

Wolf

A lot of it is stories, exaggerations made by the weak and scared. Some of it is bravado, things changed by those looking to make more of themselves than they really deserve. But behind all stories and myths there is often a foundation of truth. Life on the outside is no different.

You definitely do not want to be caught in most places after dark on the outside. Inhumins roam the countryside killing anything they come across. They travel in packs and can move almost imperceptibly. At night you have almost no chance of seeing them before they attack. And their dogs...I've had the unfortunate pleasure of taking on a couple of those things...that's where I got this scar on my face. Those things are as big as an average man with twice the power. Whatever you do, do not let them get close enough to get a piece of you in their mouth. They have a bite like a vice and when they clamp down there is no getting them off.

Fortunately the inhumins aren't much smarter than their dogs and there lies the only advantage you get. If you're not dumb as shit then you can out smart them and use tactics to your advantage.

As for the boneyards, well I wouldn't really know. We've all got our superstitions and I prefer to steer clear of the mass graves of the dead. I will say that the one time I had to pass near one, I moved as fast as possible. It's like everything ceases to exist when you're near one. No wind, no noises, no nothin. Death pervades everything in and near boneyards. Nah, I stay way the hell away from those things.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
esoteric_wombat wrote:
MC
Valery

And now Millions wants the Ragnarok gone. What'd you do to piss off that fucker?
I've also been meaning to ask about Gams. Don't know what I want to ask, just give a quick description. He's still got a pretty big favor out on you, hope he's not the kind of guy that decides to collect at exactly the wrong time...

Millions is a bastard—he thinks he owns me just because I let him warm my bed a few times. He got kicked out by Pierre (my bouncer) and isn't welcome since.

Gams is an okay guy, middle-age, with an eyepatch. He used to own the Ragnarok, before I took it over from him. He comes in every few months, to kick back on my costs. I don't know much about him, but I do know he's looking for something, on the outside.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
Uncle
MC

esoteric_wombat wrote:
MC
Uncle
I still want to know more about Walls though, the physical location. The main building is the prison complex, but is the whole holding inside the prison? Does anyone farm or live outside the walls, or is it like, I don't know, all the fresh eats are grown on the rooftops? How do you become a citizen of walls? Say you have some refuges, on what grounds do you accept them? Is there like an oath or anything?

Prim has been making the moves on you, but you've noticed Wisher's got his eyes set on that girl like nothing else. Some men never learn.

Walls is a big, big place. Not big enough to hold everything everybody needs, some stuff's outside. But it's like a castle - a strong place at the center of everything. It's where people run when the world comes at them too hard. And what's inside is mine.

The market is inside - that's how I keep the peace there. And how I get a piece of it, too. I don't have to push to hard on competitors either. Who wants to do his dealing wondering if something's going to come silent out of the night and suck the marrow from his bones when for a little jingle extra he could be safe enough to get blitzed on the profits instead? And with the people around here, that can lead to some crazy shit, yeah?

We have some pens and gardens inside. But fields - you have to have more space for those. The farmers live all around, but Walls is at the heart.

Becoming a Citizen just got a whole lot harder. Used to be, you rolled up, kept your nose clean for a while, and then we worked out a deal. Some folks I wanted bad - a doctor or something - I'd cut them an easy deal. But mostly, once I thought you were square, it just used to cost a year, in service or in jingle. Now, I don't know what the fuck I'm gonna do. Hasn't really been my problem yet - and it's good problem to have, and I miss it.

Wisher's eyes are half-pushing me to bring Prim in. I know she'd be better off with me than him. Yeah, and she'd be better off as one of my gang than just some piece Wisher tumbled. But I'm half-tempted to find some reason to throw her the fuck out, too. Because if I have any more trouble with my number two right now, things...yeah...things'll get ugly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wombat Apocalypse (working title) IC
esoteric_wombat wrote:
MC
Gabe

So what's Kettle to you? I know she never had a real father worth shit, but how close are you to Kettle and her sister, really? Does she have any other family? Ever told her about your dreams?


I'm not going to say "she's like a daughter to me" because I've never had a daughter so what the hell would I know? But I am protective of her, because... look, everyone else in this mad-house is a bastard who's only looking out for themselves but she's different. At least I think she is, am I letting some sentimentality get in the way? Do I need to hold onto something pure?

I don't know. She's not like her older sister, East, I know that. East is always sniffing around the infirmary looking for something to steal - to trade for drinks at the Ragnarok probably. She's always dragging Kettle there.

I've never told Kettle my dream though. I don't want to give her a reason to go running from the crazy old guy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli the Wombat
msg tools
Avatar
MC
Session 1- Aftermath


2 days after the bloodbath.

Uncle

I'm imagining you high up, looking down on the midmorning market. Does such a place exist? Is it your office? Do you have an office? Tell me.

The funeral service is today, sometime this morning. It's headed by Corbett, Dustwich, and Mercer, all relatives of the dead. That's the thing: you never said a word about the bodies, but family is family, so the decision was made without your consent. Some of the dead were bastards, some thought they were doing the right thing, some were on your side, but all had family, or friends, or at least someone who didn't hate them. Don't know if you want to do something about it, but I thought you'd like to know.

A knock on the door. It's Wisher, you know from the familiar rhythm. Something about a shave and a haircut. You could use one of those.
Wisher sticks his head in after a moment- "Hey boss, guys at the gate- 5, plus some shit to trade. Seems ok, but Tum's gut isn't quite agreeing... he asked for you."

What do you do?


Gabe

The last few days you've caught a nap here and there, but that's just about it. The injured are many, and when you do get some rest the dreams are stranger than ever. The last thing you need is more of other people's problems, you know what I mean?

Corbett's explanation trails off, leaving him with hands shoved into pockets and a painfully embarrassed expression on his face. Corbett's best friend died in the coup, and he's asked you to say a few words at the service. In about an hour. Seems you're the closest thing Walls has to a priest. So?
Also, how do people mark the passing of the dead? What should be done with the bodies?


Wolf and Val
The decision to honor the bodies of both sides at once is a controversial one. Some don't like it, some are worried Uncle won't like it. Regardless, many are gathering in the market, moving slowly towards the outer gates. Late fall is making its presence known, strong winds cutting in from across the plains.

Val, what are the Ragnarok's hours like? Are you usually open in the morning? What's your morning routine?

Wolf, where do you get your eats? Are you even inside Walls right now?

Seems like the service will be soon, if either of you feel like going.


Edit: Oh hey, Uncle- make the wealth move. That might change a few things.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gabe

We bury our dead because... well that's what we do, what people have always done. They're buried just outside the walls, deep, so the dogs don't go digging them up. Lately folks've been burying them face down - confuses the spirits they say, so they wont come back and haunt us. Superstitious of course, but I'm not going to stop them. Wolf has told me how cold it gets near the mass graves out in the wastes.

People, myself included, always want someone to say a few words at the graves. Honour the dead, no matter what sort of fuckers they were in life. More superstition? Maybe - but I just think it's right. Seeing as I'm the last person most of the bodies ever talked to, I'm often the one asked to speak. No different now. Corbett's not a man for words, but he lost a friend. Least I could do to help him out.

I let Kettle know where I am, in case of some sort of emergency. I head out with Corbett and mull over what to say. It's been some tough days and I'm feeling bitter, feel like blaming someone...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Valery

Some of the dead were regulars at the Ragnarok, so I almost feel obliged to attend. I like to think that people need to see me there, need to know that I care. Or failing that, at least have the illusion that I care.

Pierre is walking across the square with me, being his usual gruff self. He looks suspiciously at some people, while I nod at a few familiar faces. Shading my eyes from the glaring sun that climbs up from the green-streaked horizon, I look up at the Walls, and I think I see Uncle's silhouette behind the grime-stained windows, but with that infernal sun stinging my eyes I can't be certain.

My crew back home should have cleared out the stragglers from last night by now. The buzz at Ragnarok usually starts a few hours before nightfall, when dusk starts setting in. That's when a lot of people always feel they need to escape from the world, and my place provides that escape. Most of the clientele will be gone long before morning, but some of my regulars are allowed to spend the entire night. Especially the ones that have nowhere to go, if they behave themselves.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolf

I don't honor the dead as there's nothin left to honor. When people die, that's it, they're gone. Honor don't mean nothin to the dead. Well that, and as I said, I really don't much care for grave sites. So no, I'm not going to be attending.

As for food and such, when I'm not on a job I'm usually relaxing at the Ragnarok, and I got pretty close with a few of the girls there. Amy in particular. Nothing has really happened between us, but I've been especially nice to her. So she's been bringing me food and whatever I need. Like I mentioned, I'm sort of holed up still recovering and I don't want to announce my location or the fact that I'm still alive. I don't know that it's really a total secret that I'm around, but it's a bit of an unknown. Am I or ain't I? I like to keep people guessing, so when I do reappear, it should give me a bit of an advantage.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle

Yeah, I have an office. It's up in the Watchtower. Of the four original internal towers, three are still standing. I make my office in one. Practically make my home in it, right now too, though my "official" quarters are much bigger, nicer and lower. There just isn't time to do everything I need to do and frankly...having the high ground never made anyone feel less safe, yeah?

The market is happening, yeah, life is going on and shit, but I'm not looking at it. I'm looking at the outer wall, where I know below, in the shadow of Walls, this little farce is going to play out.

I'm not sure who thinks they had the right to make this call, but I'm going to find out and I'm going to fuck his shit up, yeah? Want me to honor the dead? My dead, sure. Pepsi? Mo? People who caused this shit, spilled this blood, people who stood up and said, "You got a nice place here, Uncle, I'm taking it from you?" Those people? Let them fucking rot. Let the dogs have them. I'd rather drag those bodies around Walls behind cars and bikes till there was nothing left on the chains and let the birds and rats at the pieces, yeah? Yeah.

But I can't go looking like this wasn't my idea now, can I? Fuck no, not now. So I'm heading out there soon to say some words, words that'll make me sick. Yeah, like I have time for this shit.

Wisher knocks and gives me his news. I trust Tum Tum's gut. So if they upset his stomach, we make 'em wait. They got something to be nervous about, waiting won't make 'em any calmer, yeah? And besides, we got jingle, we don't need to buy any more with trouble right now.

"Hold them up outside for a bit. Tell 'em we got a funeral. I'll come see them myself when it's over, but they can wait outside til then. With eyes on them."

Wisher nods and turns to go.

"One more thing, yeah?" Whisher stop and turns back to me. His face says something, but I can't read it clear. Can't tell if he's upset about this bullshit funeral like I am - not like he didn't lose any friends - fucking Mo, he was everybody's friend, yeah? or if it's about Prim and all of her shit. But he's my senior guy and I got no reason to question his loyalty. Maybe it's worth ruining Prim's life to keep him happy. Maybe he wouldn't even ruin it. But I didn't call him back so I could look at his mug, yeah?

"That guy...Wolf, yeah? Rumor's all I got on him right now. Find me out if he's dead or alive. If he's here or not. If he's here and alive, bring him in. We need to get some shit clear."

He nods again and turns again, his face still all opaque, and we head out the door and down the stairs together. I woulda told Mo about what a piece of shit this funeral is, but Wisher's not my number two, not yet, and anyhow, I'll probably never tell another soul things like I used to tell Mo. So we walk down together in silence.

Uncle makes his Wealth move:2d6+2 = (4 + 5) + 2 = 11 So - I have surplus at hand. Does that bump my surplus to +3?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 107254. jkottler
  • 2d6+2 =
  • (4 + 5) + 2 =
  • 11
  • Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:04 pm
Eli the Wombat
msg tools
Avatar
MC

Uncle

A moment for housekeeping: Walls was shook to its foundation by Pepsi's betray, that much is for sure. The market is busy this morning, but the crowd is nowhere close to what you would consider healthy. On the plus side, turns out Pepsi had been siphoning off goods for months, squirreling it all away for his strike. You've picked up ammo, medical supplies, old caned goods, weapons, iodine tablets, cigs, all the basics if they had to hole up for a while. Also found tools and shit made in Walls, which he was trading for stuff from outside. Some of it went into storage, some went immediately into the rebuilding effort, but there's about 2 barter left for you to use at your discretion.
This month aside, what form does your revenue usually come in? Does Walls have a standard currency?

You head towards the gates, parting ways with Wisher once you're out from under the main building. Along the way you pick up some of the gang, guys either deliberately on call, or set to guard you from another attack. Wisher grabs Fuse and Mice, I guess they'll be sniffing around for Wolf. You want to bring anyone with you?
Millions and Hugo are conspicuously gone from their posts.



Gabe and Valery

The wind has a new bite to it today, a disdainful and almost malicious chill. You'd do well to wear a coat.

As you move towards the gate you two might see each other, nod, walk in silence, whatever. Tum-Tum mans the gate, but he seems to be dealing with a stranger, a man with tattoos all up his bare arms. Tum glances wearily at the moving crowd, but his job is to deal with unknowns coming in, not citizens going out.

Or maybe he's looking at the grave site. In the shadow of the outside wall, a pit. Big but shallow. The ground is hard and cold, unaccommodating to the twenty odd restless souls placed side to side in varied states of dishevelry. Pepsi is next to Big Stuff is next to Benson is next to Scarlet, all down the line.
To make up for the shallow grave someone trucked in a load of boulders, rocks that a couple guys could lift with a little effort. They're all mounded up next to the open grave, and right on top of the pile Millions, with his usual big shit eating grin. He brought along Hugo and a few others.
Dustwich and Mercer stand dirt covered, armed with shovels to Million's automatic.
The crowd holds back, uncertain.

Flat ground lies between you and the confrontation, but the wind carries the sound of Million's manic laughter.

What do you do? Someone want to read the sitch?




Wolf

So Amy's taken a liking to your sorry ass, for whatever reason. None of the staff has objected to your presence yet, but Amy's helped you along, and hidden you away at the right moments. In the evenings you can hang around reasonably inconspicuously, but in the mornings Valery wants everyone cleared out, and Val definitely doesn't know she's hiding you from Uncle.

Which is why you're sitting in a ball-numbing cold cellar, with instructions from Amy to sit tight until she gets back.

You hear creaking floorboards and a curse from upstairs, the far side of the cellar door. Harridan wrestles with the door, but it's jammed closed. You have just a hot second before you're found out. What do you do?

On weather discontinuity: don't worry about it. I'll edit my first comment, but let's stay consistent here on out, and not worry about what has already been said.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I glare suspiciously at Millions. The bastard is looking straight at me, with that nasty grin on his face that I've come to dislike so much. I let my eyes drift over the crowd. Surely Millions isn't gonna try to pull something here? I know for sure Uncle would very much not like that.

Then again, Uncle just went through that bloody coup, and Pepsi was a friend to Millions, so who knows what the fuck goes on in that shithead's brain.

Reading the sitch 2d6+1 = (5 + 3) + 1 = 9

Ok so my one question is: Who's in control here?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 107917. Bearpaw
  • 2d6+1 =
  • (5 + 3) + 1 =
  • 9
  • Reading the sitch
  • Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:58 pm
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |