Subject: Bearpaw's Nightmare at Hill Manor IC Game 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the In Character thread for the Nightmare at Hill Manor PBF game for game 2.

Rules Reference Thread
Character Geeklist
Game 2 OOC thread

Players in Game 2:

George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing Thomas Booth

Ryan Hendricks
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing Nicky Sims

Ed Sagritalo
United States
Round Lake Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing Rachel O' Hara

Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing Michael Nero
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hill Manor Apartments is an eight-story apartment building dating from the early 20th century. While not exactly up to modern standards, the rent is low and the building lies right in the city center, which is quite convenient.

Being all tenants in the same building with apartments on the 6th floor, you are familiar with each other because of that proximity, and know each other well enough to get together for biweekly poker games, put together by Janice from 4C. Beyond that, a nod in the hall, a hand getting furniture into the old-fashioned elevators or maybe a few short conversations here and there is the extent of your interactions.

It was Janice that has always been the glue that binds the community together. She’s an average looking woman in her mid-to-late 30’s, with shoulder-length brown hair and glasses. Janice makes the effort to go from door to door and invite neighbors to various social gatherings she puts together. She moved to the city from a small town – the kind, she says, where everyone knew one another like family. You suspect she misses that connection, which is why she does what she can to foster a microcosm here in Hill Manor.

The character backgrounds might have some additional info on relationships within the building. I'll leave the amount of details you know about each other up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have all lived in the Hill Manor long enough to have a vague sense of the history of the building, if only from reading the plaque from the local historical society on the wall outside.
Apparantly the architect incorporated salvaged metalwork and tile taken from the original manor house, and the keystone of the building bears the original engraved Hill Manor sign.

We start our story at your biweekly poker game, set up in the common room on the sixth floor, which is used for birthday parties, neighborhood watch meetings and other events. The walls are the same dingy beige as the rest of the building, and the plaster is cracked and flaking. The once-green carpet is almost black with wear under the folding table Janice drags out from a storage closet in the corner each game. A cheap chandelier lights the room adequately. It's not a dive, but it's not exactly new, either.

The table's set up, and the chips are down. You were all a little late in getting home from work, thanks to road construction out front. Even Janice was late, and she's the one who keeps everything organized and sets up the game. But there she is, in her green dealer's visor, shuffling the deck. She smiles at each of you as you take your seats.

"Sorry guys," she says. "I didn't have time to get the snacks together. I figured it'd be best if I got you set up and going before I run back down to grab them."

Regarding the poker game, you can ante up 10 dollars in chips to buy into the hand, and you now have two choices to try and improve your chances: you can try and bluff (roll Manipulation + Subterfuge) or cheat (roll Wits + Larceny). Or offcourse you can play it fair and take your chances!

Decide what you want to do, and then we'll see who wins the hand afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"No need to worry Janice, you do plenty as it is," Thomas says with a charming smile as he plops into a seat and pulls out a $10. "Let's get this game started. I'm itching to get going..."

As he sits he watches the others file into the room and take their seats, focusing on Rachel a bit more than the others. "Hey Rach, remember we're playing strip poker tonight..." states Thomas with a mischievous grin on his face.

Thomas decides he's going to play straight, at least to start.

Hope that's all proper and I didn't get ahead of myself or miss anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sagritalo
United States
Round Lake Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smiling with a hint of tired frustration in her voice, "Good evening Janice." Turning her head slightly and smiling tersely towards Thomas, Rachel crosses the room, dropping the 6-pack on the counter. Grabbing 3 bottles, she heads for the table and sits opposite Thomas.

Dropping onto the worn chair, she regards the other two as she offers each a cold bottle. Janice seems a bit more worn then usual tonight, Rachel considers as she hands her a bottle. As her gaze meets Thomas', she regrets having offered him one as well. He always seems to take any sign of friendship from her as a secret advance. Rolling her inner eyes, she sighs inwardly and settles in for a long night.

With a wink towards Janice and sliding the $10 towards her, "Not sure if that's a good idea. This game might not last long with your luck, and considering that I am only wearing a tank and jeans..." Tilting her head towards Thomas and with a raised eyebrow, she leaves the notion hanging.

Rachel will start out bluffing as usual though she really isn't good at it compared to cheating that is. She will of course think the others are up to something.

Bluff 2d10rr[10]c[8] = (3 9) = 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 104101. RandomOne
  • 2d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (3 9) =
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 3:12 pm
Ryan Hendricks
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heard long before he is seen due to his heavy, booted footsteps, Nicky rounds the corner with a large grocery bag of chips and a 24-pack of beer cans.

He speaks with a heavy Eastern European accent, which he overcompensates for in correcting himself at times, "Ha ha, greetings my friends! I have brought Buudweiser and hmm, Durittos. (misspellings intentional). He does a careful glance around the room to discern if he brought the correct drinks and snacks for an American poker game.

He plops himself down on a worn chair that creaks loudly, grabs a beer, hands Janice his $10 bill, and grabs his cards. "Hmm, my friends, I am glad I could join tonight, but you may not be so glad after you are seeing my cards", he says with a huge, wolfish grin.

He thinks his cards are good, but isn't too sure. However, it is always best to present oneself as strong.

Bluff roll: 4d10rr[10]c[8] = (8 7 2 2) = 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 104130. UncleLothar
  • 4d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (8 7 2 2) =
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 4:13 pm
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Janice smiles at Thomas as she deals everyone their hand of cards, then gets up and leaves the room, fetching the snacks from her apartment.

Both Rachel and Nicky bluff their way through with their mediocre cards, and the others don't seem so sure of their hand anymore. Now everyone waits on what Michael is gonna do with his cards.

Both Nicky and Rachel have succeeded at their bluff, and get +1 die on the final roll when playing this hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 104186. Bearpaw
  • 3d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (4 5 5) =
  • Thomas
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 5:47 pm
  • [+]
  • 104187. Bearpaw
  • 2d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (8 2) =
  • Nicky
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 5:48 pm
  • [+]
  • 104188. Bearpaw
  • 3d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (3 2 7) =
  • Rachel
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 5:48 pm
  • [+]
  • 104189. Bearpaw
  • 4d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (2 4 6 1) =
  • Michael
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 5:49 pm
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I'm late says Michael as he settles himself down into a chair and fishes 10 dollars out of his pocket. He starts to say, long day..., but the sentence trails off lamely, as he recognizes that it has probably been a very long day for everyone at the table.

Thanks Janice, he says as he receives and examines his hand. Not being a big fan of cheating, and feeling too tired at the moment to put any effort into bluffing, he decides to play the hand straight. He mostly comes to these gatherings in an attempt to make friends, anyway.

2d10rr[10]c[8] = (3 4) = 0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 104209. Aarontu
  • 2d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (3 4) =
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 6:57 pm
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Michael having played his hand, the time has come to call or fold, and show people what you've got!

Thomas, Nicky and Rachel can now make the final roll for their hand by rolling Manipulation + Subterfuge, with Nicky and Rachel getting +1 die on their roll due to their skill at bluffing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas takes a look at his cards...

1d10rr[10]c[8] 1d10rr[10]c[8] = (8) = 1

Hope I'm not missing anything. I don't have subterfuge so I believe it's just 1 die for my 1 point in Manipulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 104225. cardician
  • 1d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (8) =
  • 1d10rr[10]c[8]
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 7:46 pm
Ed Sagritalo
United States
Round Lake Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the edits. I'm trying to match the roll with the text. This should be correct for the last time.

Pulling the edge of her cards up slightly, Rachel regards them silently. It looks like it just wasn't going to be her night.

3d10rr[10]c[8] = (2 5 7) = 0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 104229. RandomOne
  • 3d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (2 5 7) =
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 7:50 pm
Ryan Hendricks
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4d10rr[10]c[8] = (1 7 6 8) = 1 + 1d10rr[10]c[8] = (2) = 0 from bluff = 1

Nicky doesn't think he did too well, but is having a fun time being a typical American, how do they say it, Joe?

EDIT: Fixed the bonus error
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 104269. UncleLothar
  • 4d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (1 7 6 8) =
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 9:19 pm
  • [+]
  • 104308. UncleLothar
  • 1d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (2) =
  • Tue Feb 7, 2012 9:50 pm
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing! Thomas didn't think he had a chance at winning, but apparantly Nicky was bluffing, and they both have an ace, so it's a tie! They divide the winnings amongst them, the cards get dealt again, and the game moves along.

Suddenly, from upstairs, you hear POP! POP!, two gunshots! Then, after a few seconds, POP! a third shot goes off. Almost immediately, there's a tiny, almost imperceptible shudder in the building, which feels like a minor earthquake that shakes the poker chips on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Whoa, what was that?!" Thomas cries after the shots. Then as the building shakes just barely his mind starts turning with the possibilities. He immediately looks to Rachel to see what her reaction is and to try to get some idea as to what he should do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sagritalo
United States
Round Lake Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As the sound of the first volley hits her, Rachel springs out of her chair and reaches behind for the Sig she keeps in a CC rig. Standing still while making a silencing motion to the others, she tries to determine the location of the shooting when the last report is heard.

Call 911. Tell them you heard gunfire.

Moving quickly to the door, she cautiously opens it slightly and looks down the hall in the direction visible.

Turning back to the others. Tell them that there is an officer at the scene requesting back up. Tell them to send an ambulance right now!

What does Rachel see? Are the lights on in the hallway? Can she determine in which direction the gunfire came from? And given that she probably knows the layout of the building, can she determine which is the best way to go to get to stairs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"On it babe," says Thomas as he watches Rachel spring into action. The lustful thoughts start invading his mind in a frenzy as he watches the strong dominant lady take charge. He struggles but wipes them from his mind as he pulls out his cellphone and dials 911.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hendricks
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicky's muscles flex with rage. His knuckles pop from his clenched fists as he mumbles under his breath:

"It was all going so good, but now the cops will investigate - I'll have to run again. No! Not again! I will kill this man! I will kill him and hide the body, then I will go to Anton and he will hide me from the police."

Nicky stomps off into the hallway after wherever he thinks the noise came from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas dials 911, but before anyone can pick up, your cell beeps. Checking the screen, you realize you have no connection.

The gunshots were quite loud, though they appeared to come from quite some distance away, somewhere from the floors above you.

The stairs are at the far end of the corridor to the right.

The hallway is clearly lit, and you see Janice standing a few feet away to the left, near the elevators. She doesn't appear to have the snacks she was getting, and looks a bit disturbed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a fraction of a second, Michael suspects that the gunshots were imagined and that maybe he should get to bed early tonight, but after seeing the reactions of his friends, he is up and running in Rachel's footsteps.

It sounded like it was upstairs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Lousy phones. Never work when you most need them. Though I thought I had always had decent reception here...", mutters Thomas. He then pops up and looks around for Janice's hard line. Upon spotting it, he dashes over to it and attempts to dial 911 again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sagritalo
United States
Round Lake Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaring and in a surprised but tension filled voice, "where do you think you are going?" Rachel questions Nicky as he pushes past her at the door.

Peculiar behavior she notes to herself. Inwardly, "I'll need to do a little check up on Nicky when this is wrapped up.

With concern and surprise in her voice as she notices Janice, "What's wrong? Did you hear those gunshots?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hendricks
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicky stops for just a moment to growl at Rachel, "Up!" before he stomps up the stairs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The poker game was in a common room on the sixth floor, so not in Janice's apartment, which is on the fourth floor. There is no phone to be found in the room you're currently in.

Janice turns to Rachel, looking midly surprised, as if she's only seeing her now. "Gunshots? What are you talking about? I just went..."

Breaking off, she looks at the elevator again momentarily, before turning back towards Rachel, and sighing heavily. "Ok, look. I'm sure it's my fault or maybe the elevator's broken, but... I can't get down to my apartment to grab the snacks. Could you come show me what I'm doing wrong?"

Meanwhile, Nicky heads towards the stairs at the end of the corridor. The staircase is empty, and there's no sounds to be heard anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 105435. Bearpaw
  • 5d10rr[10]c[8] =
  • (7 4 7 2 2) =
  • Nicky Wits+Composure
  • Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:14 pm
Ed Sagritalo
United States
Round Lake Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grabbing Janice by the hand and putting a guiding hand on her back, Rachel tugs her back into the common room. "Janice, I need you to stay here with the rest of the guys." Looking back at the other two and with a quick nod towards Janice, "guys, stay with her ok."

Rachel quickly heads to the stairs and looks up before ascending. Remembering that Nicky lives on the 6th floor with the rest of them, she wonders even more at the seemingly strange behavior.

How many floors are there? And can she see or hear Nicky above on the stairs?

Rachel will check each floor looking to see if anyone is in the hallway or showing there head out his/her door? She wants to see if anyone can confirm where the gunshots may have come from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, stupid of me. Forgot entirely we were in a common room. Well I suppose there could have still been a phone.

Realizing there was no phone in the common room, Thomas stopped himself. He realized the nerves from the situation were building up in him and causing him to act stupid. He needed to get control of himself. He paused for a moment and took a few deep breathes.

When he sees Rachel bring Janice over he decides to take some iniative. "Don't worry Rachel, I'll watch after Janice." He smiles and then looking kindly at Janice, "C'mon Janice, lets get you to your apartment down on the 4th floor. The shots came from above us so we should be safe there. With that minor earthquake though it's probably safer to take the stairs."

Thomas then gently puts a hand on Janice's back and guides her towards the stairs, following far enough behind Rachel to minimize any danger they might find on the stairwell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] |